Author Topic: Tiger Woods - Greatest Sportsman Ever?  (Read 80234 times)

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Tiger Woods - Greatest Sportsman Ever?
« Reply #200 on: November 29, 2009, 12:31:14 am »
With it being on here I'd bet Benitez would win it.

:D Probably
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline Lent§

• RAWK Stuff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: November 29, 2009, 12:31:47 am »
With it being on here I'd bet Benitez would win it.
Not on GAWK, shay given or john o'shea would win it
psn = Lents123

Offline vegasred23

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #202 on: November 29, 2009, 12:31:59 am »
I wouldn't even give him Ali.

*Alan_F on standby for cleanup v2*

How do you figure Woods is greater than Ali?

Offline -Gianni-

• Would have wood if Tiger Woods would
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: November 29, 2009, 12:32:41 am »
How do you figure Woods is greater than Ali?

Because Ali genuinely wasn't the greatest boxer of all time.
So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Offline Lent§

• RAWK Stuff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: November 29, 2009, 12:34:51 am »
Is woods the greatest golfer YET?
psn = Lents123

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: November 29, 2009, 12:35:38 am »
This reminds me of the Federer thread.
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline -Gianni-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: November 29, 2009, 12:36:15 am »
Is woods the greatest golfer YET?

For the 100th time yes.
So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Offline Lent§

• RAWK Stuff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: November 29, 2009, 12:37:30 am »
FOR THE 100TH TIME GIANNI, NO HE FUCKING ISN'T
psn = Lents123

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #208 on: November 29, 2009, 12:39:45 am »
I wouldn't even give him Ali.

*Alan_F on standby for cleanup v2*

No mate - you can reap the shit storm. You seriously contend that Tiger Woods is better than Ali was at his peak?

I bet you think he 's fitter than Ali was as well... I mean, strolling round a golf course with someone else carrying your bags is way, way harder than going up against George Foreman.

By the way, I'm not a boxing expert but I'm not even sure that Ali is the greatest boxer of all time - pound-for-pound I'm sure there are other contenders - but he was a better sportsman than Woods, fitter than Woods and more famous than Woods will ever be.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline -Gianni-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: November 29, 2009, 12:39:58 am »
FOR THE 100TH TIME GIANNI, NO HE FUCKING ISN'T

And just to reiterate my view:

He dicks on every other sportsman.

So don't ask me again. :)

Offline Lent§

• RAWK Stuff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: November 29, 2009, 12:40:51 am »
Clueless
psn = Lents123

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #211 on: November 29, 2009, 12:41:12 am »

See my post - whether Ali was the best boxer of all time is irrelevant, he still pisses all over Woods as a sportsman.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #212 on: November 29, 2009, 12:42:57 am »
This reminds me of the Federer thread.

I bet he'd beat Woods on clay.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Lent§

• RAWK Stuff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: November 29, 2009, 12:43:00 am »
See my post - whether Ali was the best boxer of all time is irrelevant, he still pisses all over Woods as a sportsman.
THIS

better sportsmen than Woods = Anyone that plays a real sport

In all seriousness, is he a better Sportsman than Lance Armstrong? Than Ali? Than Pele? no

psn = Lents123

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #214 on: November 29, 2009, 12:44:09 am »
No mate - you can reap the shit storm. You seriously contend that Tiger Woods is better than Ali was at his peak?

I bet you think he 's fitter than Ali was as well... I mean, strolling round a golf course with someone else carrying your bags is way, way harder than going up against George Foreman.

By the way, I'm not a boxing expert but I'm not even sure that Ali is the greatest boxer of all time - pound-for-pound I'm sure there are other contenders - but he was a better sportsman than Woods, fitter than Woods and more famous than Woods will ever be.

I'm no expert, but pound for pound I think Sugar Ray Robinson is considered the greatest boxer.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline vegasred23

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #215 on: November 29, 2009, 12:44:44 am »

It's all a matter of opinion, I guess. 

For me Ali transcended sport and helped to change a nation at a time when it needed changing, he said and did things that were very unpopular at the time, and did it with conviction, he had his faults, but was a man of principle and was unafraid to show it.  He didn't bow down to the money men or the politicians.  That to me is the definition of a sportsmen.

Offline -Gianni-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: November 29, 2009, 12:44:53 am »

I don't just contend. I fundamentally believe he is the greatest.

He could be a fat bastard strolling around the golf course I agree. But the reason he has 14 majors is because he's in incredible shape aswell as his talent.

He might have been fitter than Woods for a certain number of weeks but I bet any money Woods keeps himself in better shape 12 months a year than Ali ever did. And more famous? That's highly questionable.

Offline myrlas

• Powered by YaMH (Yet another Mister Happy)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter: @myrlas
« Reply #217 on: November 29, 2009, 12:45:19 am »
He's the top earner in sports ever. That has to count for something.
"Football is simple, you're either on time, or you're too late. If you're too late then you have to leave earlier." Johan Cruyff

Offline Lent§

• RAWK Stuff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: November 29, 2009, 12:47:42 am »
He's the top earner in sports ever. That has to count for something.

David Beckham

Money means fuck all in sport, as far as personal achievements go.

Woods, is far far from the greatest sportsman ever, this is fact.
psn = Lents123

Offline vegasred23

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #219 on: November 29, 2009, 12:48:10 am »

Great post Alan.

Offline -Gianni-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: November 29, 2009, 12:49:07 am »

Unfortunately for you that's an opinion.

Offline Lent§

• RAWK Stuff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: November 29, 2009, 12:50:25 am »
Unfortunately for you that's an opinion.
As is your's that he is? No?
psn = Lents123

Offline -Gianni-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: November 29, 2009, 12:52:00 am »
As is your's that he is? No?

Of course it is.

Offline myrlas

• Powered by YaMH (Yet another Mister Happy)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter: @myrlas
« Reply #223 on: November 29, 2009, 12:54:16 am »

David Beckham

Money means fuck all in sport, as far as personal achievements go.

That is bollocks, and you know it.

The best sportsmen in the most popular sports earn most money. I think Woods is easily the top earner even without sponsor deals as well.
"Football is simple, you're either on time, or you're too late. If you're too late then you have to leave earlier." Johan Cruyff

Offline El Campeador

• Capital of Culture's Campaign Manager...Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The shupporters create chances, for sure, djes
« Reply #224 on: November 29, 2009, 12:57:25 am »
Of course it is.

Woods may yet end up being the greatest golfer ever.

But as far as sportsmen go, he's no Andriy Voronin.

Offline Lent§

• RAWK Stuff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: November 29, 2009, 12:57:44 am »
I'd bet there are fucking snooker players (o'sullivan?) close to his dominance who won't earn close to him, it's all relative, O'sullivan, Phil Taylor etc, all dominate their sports in a way Woods can only dream of, but won't earn a fraction of his money.
psn = Lents123

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: November 29, 2009, 12:58:12 am »

He could be a fat bastard strolling around the golf course I agree. But the reason he has 14 majors is because he's in incredible shape aswell as his talent.

He might have been fitter than Woods for a certain number of weeks but I bet any money Woods keeps himself in better shape 12 months a year than Ali ever did. And more famous? That's highly questionable.

He's in incredible shape.  FOR A GOLFER.  He simply isn't as fit as the top performers in many other sports.

No matter which way you slice it, Golf is not a physically demanding sport in the way that football, rugby, athletics, cycling, swimming etc are.  Tiger Woods may well be at the optimum physical fitness level for Golf.  He may have redefined the way fitness is regarded in the game.  But he is not at the same fitness level as the top performers in many other sports.  He cannot possibly be, because to reach that level of fitness, he wouldn't have enough time left to practise swinging the clubs.  And no matter how much his fitness helps, the reason he wins golf tournaments is because of his technique, and his mental strength.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 12:59:56 am by arthur sarnoff »

Offline myrlas