Author Topic: The 'Football was invented in 1992' Sly Sports Premier League draft - discussion  (Read 17067 times)

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
He’s trying to find someone with hair that most resembles Redondo’s. My money’s on later era Jeff Hendrick.

Surely Barry Venison is his guy

"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Boxed it for him.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Boxed it for him.

Never knew Baggio had a spell at Forest
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Online Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
I’m making a team of pundits
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
I’m making a team of pundits

Well done. That’s their job.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
He’s trying to find someone with hair that most resembles Redondo’s. My money’s on later era Jeff Hendrick.

Yes, still deciding between him and Kris Boyd.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Because Robbie didn't put a name with his pick, I'm just going to assume he picked Newcastle legend Andy O'Brien

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Because Robbie didn't put a name with his pick, I'm just going to assume he picked Newcastle legend Andy O'Brien
let me do it again :)

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
No ones going to give it Giggseh.

Offline NICHOLLS

• Legacy Fan
  • Ohhhhh ya beauty, what a hit son, what a hit!
Aguero has already been picked

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
No ones going to give it Giggseh.

Another big vote winner goes.

Thanks for the compliment Elzar  :D

Online Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!

haha, past midnight and I couldn't see him on a list of 18 names. Oops
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Online Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
Another big vote winner goes.

Thanks for the compliment Elzar  :D

Not gonna lie, half just presumed he couldn't have been picked in the first round of choices.  :-X

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Not gonna lie, half just presumed he couldn't have been picked in the first round of choices.  :-X

Et tu, brute? Red blinkers off he's one of the best 9s I've seen in the last 10 years and never found him detestable like a few others.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Looks like that's us done for the evening. Hazell's clock starts at 9am tomorrow morning. Sticking to two hour deadlines for now as we're moving on at a decent speed after the weekend hump.

Online Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
Et tu, brute? Red blinkers off he's one of the best 9s I've seen in the last 10 years and never found him detestable like a few others.

Red blinkers off? I think they are padlocked on everyone!

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Didn't even think of Haaland, interesting pick.  Only one season but he was immense so it's a tough one.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Didn't even think of Haaland, interesting pick.  Only one season but he was immense so it's a tough one.

Haha I had him in mind as a cheeky later one.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.

Yeah he’s not been here long, but he holds some significant records already. Agree it’s interesting since drafts are normally based on full careers, but that doesn’t feel likely in this draft, as we’ve only got a 31 year period to work with.

I’d probably have left him until later if I didn’t have De Bruyne, and if he wasn’t from a more obscure footballing nation.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Yeah he’s not been here long, but he holds some significant records already. Agree it’s interesting since drafts are normally based on full careers, but that doesn’t feel likely in this draft, as we’ve only got a 31 year period to work with.

I’d probably have left him until later if I didn’t have De Bruyne, and if he wasn’t from a more obscure footballing nation.

Closet Pep fan? De Bruyne and Haaland.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy

I bet he's bald.

Online red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Was thinking about Haaland and as he has only one and a bit seasons, would it effect voting over someone who has picked a striker with a longer career. Guess we will see, but he is so obviously the real deal, so i'm sure it's going to be hard to mark him down on the just one season argument when it comes to voting, for me anyway.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 10:21:08 am by red1977 »

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan

Haha caught me.

To be fair, I’ve always rated Pep very highly and watched a lot of his Barcelona side back in the day. I wish he’d had a more interesting career rather than taking two of the most boring jobs in football with Bayern and City though.

As for picking City players, I hate them as a side and everything they stand for, but I guess the problem with the nation state sides is they can buy all the best players without flinching, which says a lot for their quality and makes them good draft picks.

I don’t care much for Haaland though. He’s obviously efficient but he seems like an elite version of the early Harry Kane / late Ronaldo style player who has pace, finishing and the ability to make perfectly timed runs without adding much to the rest of the side. If he adapts into a more all round role like later Kane did from Mourinho onwards, I think City will be a much more dangerous side for it, but currently I think he makes them more one-dimensional. I’d rate De Bruyne higher as a footballer in general.

I bet he's bald.

Haha, luckily I’m blessed with some good Indian genes that give me some lusciously, thick dark hair, but you’ve got to appreciate a baldy who commits to being bald rather than hanging onto the last few strands.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 10:19:14 am by mikey_LFC »
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Knew Haaland would go fairly soon. There's definitely no question on his ability, but he probably has the most punchable face in football right now. I can see him being about as popular in the vote as Cristiano.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
Knew Haaland would go fairly soon. There's definitely no question on his ability, but he probably has the most punchable face in football right now. I can see him being about as popular in the vote as Cristiano.

Haha true. In fact his faces looks constantly like it’s been punched in slow motion.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Was thinking about Haaland and as he has only one and a bit seasons, would it effect voting over someone who has picked a striker with a longer career. Guess we will see, but he is so obviously the real deal, so i'm sure it's going to be hard to mark him down on the just one season argument when it comes to voting, for me anyway.

I think I'd always favour someone with more longevity. Assuming they still had a top tier career. This argument has come up plenty with Duncan Edwards in past drafts. Football is a funny game and you just don't know what tomorrow will bring. Haaland could have a career ender tomorrow and then he'd forever be known as that 'what could have been' guy. On that basis I'd say every striker drafted so far is ahead of him, but there are others who will go later with shorter/weaker careers who Haaland would rightly be the better choice than.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
Just woke up gimme a second

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
I think I'd always favour someone with more longevity. Assuming they still had a top tier career. This argument has come up plenty with Duncan Edwards in past drafts. Football is a funny game and you just don't know what tomorrow will bring. Haaland could have a career ender tomorrow and then he'd forever be known as that 'what could have been' guy. On that basis I'd say every striker drafted so far is ahead of him, but there are others who will go later with shorter/weaker careers who Haaland would rightly be the better choice than.

Depends how you judge the players too. Are they their entire careers, almost their average, condensed into one tournament, or are they their peaks? Haaland’s peak is already up there with some of the best poacher style strikers in the league’s history.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Wonder if a 2 seasons in the PL rule would've been a good idea for this draft.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
I'm out for a bit, but will update the list when I'm back later.

Wonder if a 2 seasons in the PL rule would've been a good idea for this draft.

I was going to suggest a 50 game minimum, but forgot  :-X

Online Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
My voting will be based over the period they played in the Premiership, so 1 season wonders will be looked upon unfavourably!

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
My voting will be based over the period they played in the Premiership, so 1 season wonders will be looked upon unfavourably!

Tubby will be gutted with his Mo Salah pick now, haha.

Surely that would improve the voting for a one season wonder when it’s their only season?

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Sorry had a fire drill at work in the pissing rain! Will take a look now.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Make no apologies for taking Ali so early.  8)

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion

You dumb motherfucker.

Sexy as fuck though (Alisson, not you, obviously).

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Depends how you judge the players too. Are they their entire careers, almost their average, condensed into one tournament, or are they their peaks? Haaland’s peak is already up there with some of the best poacher style strikers in the league’s history.

Both. If it were peak alone Gregory Vignal and Damian Plessis might be top picks too  :D  Longevity + peak should be the goal. Haaland's peak is top tier, but his longevity is a question mark right now. That's not his fault and it definitely doesn't make him a bad pick. His nationality alone is a good reason to snap him up. But players who have performed over longer periods of time in the Premier league should always be the top tier picks. I'm sure plenty more players with a couple of seasons under their belt will be picked as we go though.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96

He's great, but he' no badger cull.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
Both. If it were peak alone Gregory Vignal and Damian Plessis might be top picks too  :D  Longevity + peak should be the goal. Haaland's peak is top tier, but his longevity is a question mark right now. That's not his fault and it definitely doesn't make him a bad pick. His nationality alone is a good reason to snap him up. But players who have performed over longer periods of time in the Premier league should always be the top tier picks. I'm sure plenty more players with a couple of seasons under their belt will be picked as we go though.

I guess the longevity aspect is like a probability factor, I’d argue it’s more consistency and peak performance rather than longevity because you’re basically saying over their careers what‘a their likely performance going to be in a one of game.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
I guess the longevity aspect is like a probability factor, I’d argue it’s more consistency and peak performance rather than longevity because you’re basically saying over their careers what‘a their likely performance going to be in a one of game.

Sorry, by longevity I meant consistency within that. Obviously there's plenty of bad longevity and players who show up one season then fall of a cliff, or are consistently average. Haaland should be beating those. But unfortunately we don't know what his long term form is, because there is nothing to measure there.

Everyone looks at these draft matches differently, but personally I always weigh up how long they've been doing it for and if not that long (no matter the peak) I'll normally favour the guy who has been doing it longer. i.e. If Haaland were facing Kompany in a match, then I'd give Kompany the win because he was top tier and he performed to that level consistently over multiple seasons. But if Haaland were facing Gvardiol, then the latter may have looked good so far but he's not been doing it long enough for me to say he can beat out Haaland.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
Sorry, by longevity I meant consistency within that. Obviously there's plenty of bad longevity and players who show up one season then fall of a cliff, or are consistently average. Haaland should be beating those. But unfortunately we don't know what his long term form is, because there is nothing to measure there.

Everyone looks at these draft matches differently, but personally I always weigh up how long they've been doing it for and if not that long (no matter the peak) I'll normally favour the guy who has been doing it longer. i.e. If Haaland were facing Kompany in a match, then I'd give Kompany the win because he was top tier and he performed to that level consistently over multiple seasons. But if Haaland were facing Gvardiol, then the latter may have looked good so far but he's not been doing it long enough for me to say he can beat out Haaland.

Makes sense. So just for example then how about Haaland vs Carragher, despite his longevity Carragher was not in that same tier, so does Haaland’s ability win out?