Author Topic: NBA Discussion  (Read 620847 times)

Online DiggerJohn

• Kopite
  • Up the Scouser Republic
Re: NBA Discussion
« Reply #8840 on: May 3, 2024, 07:39:33 pm »
Would you say Pacers were fully deserving of their win considering Bucks were without Giannis and Lilard for most of the series?

No but I think they are better than people think. Bucks full strength beat pacers

Online TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #8841 on: May 3, 2024, 08:04:26 pm »
Lakers fire Ham after 2 seasons, but will give LeBron a Kobe style 'thank you' contract and waste more drafts getting mid level players.

I said it at the time here and will stick to it; this Lakers front office continue to burn tomorrow for today chasing instant success and avoiding the inevitable rebuild. Joke of a place.

Offline TheFinalBoss

• Main Stander
« Reply #8842 on: May 3, 2024, 08:18:54 pm »
Would you say Pacers were fully deserving of their win considering Bucks were without Giannis and Lilard for most of the series?
Pacers had Bucks number in the regular season when Dame and Giannis was playing, even if those two was healthy I think Pacers would of beaten them.

Plus Bucks have Doc Rivers has head coach that guy is one of the biggest frauds in basketball he can fuck up a playoff series against any team.

Online Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #8843 on: May 3, 2024, 09:46:15 pm »
Lakers fire Ham after 2 seasons, but will give LeBron a Kobe style 'thank you' contract and waste more drafts getting mid level players.

I said it at the time here and will stick to it; this Lakers front office continue to burn tomorrow for today chasing instant success and avoiding the inevitable rebuild. Joke of a place.
Those two aren’t quite the same, are they? The Lakers gave Kobe that contract after his injury when he was pretty much done at the top level. Lebron is still a top 10-15 player in the league.

Their biggest mistake was the Westbrook trade. They gave up their depth and have spent a few years trying to fix it. Pelinka and ownership deserve criticism for letting it go through, but given the quotes at the time, it was clear that Lebron pushed for it.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Online DiggerJohn

• Kopite
« Reply #8844 on: May 3, 2024, 10:35:15 pm »
Those two aren’t quite the same, are they? The Lakers gave Kobe that contract after his injury when he was pretty much done at the top level. Lebron is still a top 10-15 player in the league.

Their biggest mistake was the Westbrook trade. They gave up their depth and have spent a few years trying to fix it. Pelinka and ownership deserve criticism for letting it go through, but given the quotes at the time, it was clear that Lebron pushed for it.

Well it's never the self proclaimed GOATs fault 4 coaches now in 7 years

Online Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8845 on: May 3, 2024, 11:17:36 pm »
Well it's never the self proclaimed GOATs fault 4 coaches now in 7 years
Oh he definitely deserves blame (fwiw I’m not a Lebron guy). He very clearly played a role in the decision to trade for Russ and has ran coaches out the door on multiple occasions. As a player though, he still has something to offer. If I was a contender or even a fringe playoff team, I would be looking to sign him.

Pelinka’s decision, and to a degree Lebron’s, to move off of Caruso and Caldwell-Pope to accommodate Russ will forever be inexcusable. Blowing up a championship team to bring in a declining non-shooter on big money is just hilarious.
« Last Edit: May 3, 2024, 11:20:42 pm by Lynndenberries »

Online DiggerJohn

• Kopite
« Reply #8846 on: May 4, 2024, 12:16:13 am »
 :thumbup

Online TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8847 on: May 4, 2024, 12:49:24 am »
Those two aren’t quite the same, are they?
No perhaps not like for like in terms of similarity, but in net result it's pretty much blowing a huge chunk of the cap on a player that just can't get it done at the very top level anymore.

When LeBron's on the court, he plays to a high (perhaps not elite) level, but his body's wearing down, goes missing through injuries, and to me the front office is paying the name more than the player at this stage.

It's fine if this was a Tom Brady taking less to bring in more talent, but it isn't. It's half the cap going on him and AD who disappear injured for large parts, come back to a messed up chemistry and realisation that while their game is good, it's not good enough for a Championship run.

I know the Lakers are never going to be a franchise that goes through years and years of painstaking rebuild through drafts, but this approach has swung too far the other end for me. For years it's been band-aid over an ageing roster, looking for that home run and it's only getting worse.

I really wish they'd let LeBron go to the Eastern conference and pursue his dreams of another title, and yeah maybe somehow trade AD for some picks or something and take a painful year or two to come back fresher, but it'll never happen. They'll just keep chasing the bright lights and somehow convince themselves that by April next year they'll somehow flip a magic switch and turn into legit contenders.

Online Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8848 on: May 4, 2024, 01:09:56 am »
I understand where you’re coming from, I just don’t think they have that many moves. If they free up the cap space, who are they going to pay? Paul George is the big name in free agency this summer, but he’s not changing their fate. They also have little to no control over their draft picks for the next few years, so tanking doesn’t do much for them.

Online DiggerJohn

• Kopite
« Reply #8849 on: May 4, 2024, 01:13:13 am »
Do they not have Bronny coming  ::)
« Last Edit: May 4, 2024, 01:22:40 am by DiggerJohn »

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #8850 on: May 4, 2024, 01:15:46 am »
I think LeBron James will leave the Lakers, it'll be to whatever team his son is drafted to, hasn't James long said he'd love to be on the same team as his son, regardless if they're in position to win the championship.
#Sausages

Online DiggerJohn

• Kopite
« Reply #8851 on: May 4, 2024, 01:27:54 am »
I think he will stay in LA, big market, he has his family settled there. His businesses Hollywood etc. The opting out puts pressure on the front office to get him more pieces and Bronny. Anyway he's old news. Luka and Antman are the future

Online Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8852 on: May 4, 2024, 02:27:05 am »
I think LeBron James will leave the Lakers, it'll be to whatever team his son is drafted to, hasn't James long said he'd love to be on the same team as his son, regardless if they're in position to win the championship.
Yes, but I doubt he would go to just any team. Can’t see him finishing his career for someone like Detroit or Charlotte.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #8853 on: May 4, 2024, 02:51:00 am »
Cavs vs Magic goes to a game 7, winners of the series play the Celtics in the next round
#Sausages

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8854 on: May 4, 2024, 02:53:49 am »

Lakers don't need to rebuild, they're one of the glamour franchises that can just wait for the best players to reach free agency. Smart drafting, trading for undervalued talent, bah, leave that for the small market teams. Hooray for equalisation.

Online TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8855 on: May 4, 2024, 03:14:38 am »
I understand where you’re coming from, I just don’t think they have that many moves.
That's my point though. They keep dishing out these doomed contracts and burn through draft picks, essentially tying themselves to ageing rosters in search for that silver bullet.

It's one thing making a scoop for a phenom like Shaq in his prime and stealing an up and coming kid from high school to go with him. It's another to keep throwing money and lengthy contracts at 30+ year olds and watching them miss chunks of the season to injury, expecting them to just flip that switch on come playoff time.

It hasn't worked and it won't. The only success they had was a in a condensed Covid bubble season.

Online Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8856 on: May 4, 2024, 04:43:39 am »
Lakers don't need to rebuild, they're one of the glamour franchises that can just wait for the best players to reach free agency. Smart drafting, trading for undervalued talent, bah, leave that for the small market teams. Hooray for equalisation.
Outside of getting lucky with Lebron, it hasn’t exactly worked out well for them in recent memory. They were mediocre at best the 10 previous years. Despite the brand value, their owners aren’t exactly flush with cash either so they can’t afford to go into the luxury tax.

Online Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8857 on: May 4, 2024, 04:44:30 am »
That's my point though. They keep dishing out these doomed contracts and burn through draft picks, essentially tying themselves to ageing rosters in search for that silver bullet.

It's one thing making a scoop for a phenom like Shaq in his prime and stealing an up and coming kid from high school to go with him. It's another to keep throwing money and lengthy contracts at 30+ year olds and watching them miss chunks of the season to injury, expecting them to just flip that switch on come playoff time.

It hasn't worked and it won't. The only success they had was a in a condensed Covid bubble season.
I guess my general point is regardless if Lebron stays or goes they’re not a competitor, so you might as well keep him if you can.

Online DiggerJohn

• Kopite
« Reply #8858 on: May 4, 2024, 08:38:44 am »
How good was Kyrie last night. Playing defence too. Seems to have recovered his drive after the problems in celtics and nets

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8859 on: May 4, 2024, 09:26:22 am »
Couple of fantastic series coming up in the west. OKC looked imperious against the Pelicans but they're coming up against a couple of experienced closers in Luka and Kyrie. And Nugs v Wolves looks like a barn burner.

The other interesting thing is that the Celtics might end up virtually sleepwalking to the title. Whoever wins Magic/Cavs will be the weakest team left and coming off a game seven. Likely Eastern Conference final will be against an exhausted Knicks team where everyone's been playing 45 minutes a night through the playoffs. Then, the eventual final against a team that's gone through a far more gruelling bracket.

Online DiggerJohn

• Kopite
« Reply #8860 on: May 4, 2024, 09:47:13 am »
Good summary. Who are you going for in the finals. I have a bet on Mavs v Knicks final. Probably be Nuggets v Celtics but the odds where crap. Nuggets v wolves is a must watch.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8861 on: May 4, 2024, 10:00:28 am »
Celtics should come out of the east fine, unless the Knicks somehow turn on the motor and sweep the Pacers.

Murray staying fit is the X factor in the west, it's very tight but if he's near top level the Nuggets have the strongest five and their experience should take them past OKC. If he isn't, I'd take the Wolves. Their size negates Jokic's ability at the boards and I don't know if the Nugs have anyone who can effectively guard Ant.

In terms of who I want, I like all of Nugs, Mavs, OKC and the Knicks. All enjoyable, well managed teams to watch with great work ethics and likeable players. It's a lot easier to enjoy a sport as a neutral if you aren't tied to any particular team.
« Last Edit: May 4, 2024, 10:02:37 am by Sheer Magnetism »

Online DiggerJohn

• Kopite
« Reply #8862 on: May 4, 2024, 10:28:36 am »
Yes agree if neutral you can just go for likeable teams. Probably why i like nba and nfl. I hate man utd winning somethings never change. Hate liverpool losing to Everton fucks up my day. The nba is just fun. I like lebron losing because I'm an MJ guy son is Lebron  :-\

Offline TheFinalBoss

• Main Stander
« Reply #8863 on: May 4, 2024, 10:53:02 am »
Paolo Banchero and Franz Wagner are both top class and The Magic have cap space to upgrade their team, regardless of what happens in the rest of the playoffs Orlando are gonna be title contenders for the next 10-15 years if Paolo and Franz stay healthy.

Online Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8864 on: May 4, 2024, 07:14:23 pm »
Hate to go chalk, but I still think Celtics vs Nuggets is most likely. The Twolves have the best chance to disrupt the Nuggets in the west, but expecting the Nuggets to win in 6 or 7. Celtics should coast to the finals, unless the Porzingis injury catches up with them at some point.

Online In the Name of Klopp

• smann. Talks as if he/she/they single handedly saw off H&G in 2010.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8865 on: May 4, 2024, 07:22:04 pm »
Let's hope that LeBron stays with the Lakers. It's the best acquisition they've ever made, and they should draft Junior to please the King.

Long may it last  :scarf
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

Online Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8866 on: May 4, 2024, 07:37:30 pm »
Let's hope that LeBron stays with the Lakers. It's the best acquisition they've ever made, and they should draft Junior to please the King.

Long may it last  :scarf
They have one more title now than they did when he joined. I maintain that they should do their best to keep him.

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #8867 on: May 5, 2024, 03:29:20 pm »
It's a lot easier to enjoy a sport as a neutral if you aren't tied to any particular team.

Absolutely, and in NBA you can enjoy a good game regardless of which team is playing.

Regarding the Timberwolves and Nuggets game 1, I felt that the Wolves were playing out of their skin, whereas Nuggets couldn't adjust and struggled. It would be interesting to see if they keep struggling through out the series, because I think that it would be tough for Minnesota to keep their game at this level for the whole series.

Offline TheFinalBoss

• Main Stander
« Reply #8868 on: May 5, 2024, 03:40:02 pm »
Denver look cooked Timberwolves are just a horrible matchup for them, I think Timberwolves might sweep them I think this series is as good as done.

Online DiggerJohn

• Kopite
« Reply #8869 on: May 5, 2024, 03:50:38 pm »
Absolutely, and in NBA you can enjoy a good game regardless of which team is playing.

Regarding the Timberwolves and Nuggets game 1, I felt that the Wolves were playing out of their skin, whereas Nuggets couldn't adjust and struggled. It would be interesting to see if they keep struggling through out the series, because I think that it would be tough for Minnesota to keep their game at this level for the whole series.

There no diego simone jose Sean Dyce anti basketball types that's a big plus. Can't time waste either

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8870 on: May 5, 2024, 06:54:50 pm »
There is a lot to like about this Magic team, their future seems great.

Offline TheFinalBoss

• Main Stander
« Reply #8871 on: May 5, 2024, 08:19:19 pm »
There is a lot to like about this Magic team, their future seems great.
They need more shooters on that team, they got cap space so I expect them to address that in the off season.

Online In the Name of Klopp

• smann. Talks as if he/she/they single handedly saw off H&G in 2010.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8872 on: May 5, 2024, 08:31:56 pm »
Who do you reckon the Celtics prefer, Orlando or Clev?
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

Offline Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8873 on: May 5, 2024, 08:35:17 pm »
Phew Tension

Offline Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8874 on: May 5, 2024, 08:48:45 pm »
Cleveland Win

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8875 on: May 5, 2024, 11:25:28 pm »
Franz Wagner isn't going to be laminating that box score and sticking it to the fridge any time soon. 1-for-15 in a Game 7, yuck.

Online Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8876 on: May 6, 2024, 01:28:58 am »
Franz Wagner isn't going to be laminating that box score and sticking it to the fridge any time soon. 1-for-15 in a Game 7, yuck.
No idea what happened to his shooting this year. They struggle enough for offense as it is, so they really needed him to show up today.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8877 on: May 7, 2024, 12:12:45 am »
Let's go Knicks!!!!
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline King_doggerel

• "What the fuck is a baldrick?"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8878 on: May 7, 2024, 03:01:43 am »
what a game! hope the knicks can hold on, 3 points up with 39 seconds to go. divincenzo has been on fire.

Offline King_doggerel

• "What the fuck is a baldrick?"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8879 on: May 7, 2024, 03:13:59 am »
knicks take game 1. lovely!