Author Topic: Time for a new phone...  (Read 13222 times)

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
Re: Time for a new phone...
« Reply #40 on: April 5, 2006, 10:17:29 am »
commission is only about £2.50, and I dont think you really wanna come all the way to southampton to buy a phone. If its an upgrade your best off ringing the retentions team to see what they can do for you. Well, the trick is to tell them what you want, and that you have been offered that by another network.

I upgraded myself to the w810 yesterday, from the k750 and its great.

I'm on 02 wild at the minute, which is technically a PAYG but does have a regular, direct debit monthly payment - could I angle from an upgrade for that?

Beyond that - just to know where I stand - if I call them, would what I mentioned (£19 a month, 18 month contract, 100 anytime any network minutes, 50 texts, 512 memory included, free bluetooth headset, earphones etc, and my current o2 number / existing credit transferred over, for that new black walkman onw (W810?)) be something that anyone in any o2 store should be able to do? (ie - are they lying by telling me they can't do that?)
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #41 on: April 5, 2006, 01:37:51 pm »
I'm on 02 wild at the minute, which is technically a PAYG but does have a regular, direct debit monthly payment - could I angle from an upgrade for that?

Beyond that - just to know where I stand - if I call them, would what I mentioned (£19 a month, 18 month contract, 100 anytime any network minutes, 50 texts, 512 memory included, free bluetooth headset, earphones etc, and my current o2 number / existing credit transferred over, for that new black walkman onw (W810?)) be something that anyone in any o2 store should be able to do? (ie - are they lying by telling me they can't do that?)

the w810 is only free on tarrifs of £30 a month and above in store, the w800 you could probably get on any tarriff. Best to pop into store and see what they can do, as I dont think they'd be able to upgrade you as such.

Tell you what, give the sales team a call (customer services then there should be an option to buy a new phone over the phone) 0870 241 02 02. Speak to them and see what they advise is the best bet. They may be able to sort something out, if not, pop into the shop and see what they'd be willing to do. Both phones come with 512 memory card, and decent headphones. £19 a month would put you on the o2 50 tarrif which would give 100 mins and 25 messages every month for 18 months. A shop should be able to do the w800 on that as were never gonna get rid of them otherwise now the w810 is out. (well, I'd do it anyway). The w810 might cost you £79.99 for the phone unless your spending £30 or more on the tarriff.

Hope that helps, any questions give me a shout.

Offline luke_red

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #42 on: April 5, 2006, 04:40:39 pm »
Don't get Chelsea Samsung phones

dont go on vodafone tony  ;)

Offline AJ

• a.k.a. Billy Two-Threads. Property of RAWK – soon to be raffled - has as much chance of becoming a mod as David Moyes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: April 6, 2006, 08:30:22 pm »
Just read your post, thanks for completely confusing me Graeme :P. I've had my heart set on this phone for a while so I don't think I'll be deterred but it's made me think a bit. I spoke to a mate today who's got it and he reassured me that it's a great phone, maybe it just didn't suit you. Oh well I'll get it and if you were right about it I'll just take it back.

Offline Spartacus.

• I dragged Rafa into the pub. Knits only with the finest quality Wools.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
« Reply #44 on: April 7, 2006, 10:41:21 pm »
I went for the nokia 6111 - I know Matt said it wasn't all that but I like the look of it ;D

I only need to txt and call.... the rest is beyond me anyway.
RAWK anti scouse?
YNWA is more than a song, think about it.

Offline stevie184

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #45 on: April 8, 2006, 04:45:12 pm »
be careful when buying phones off the web.  i bought a phone just before xmas from talkworldonline.  got the phone fine & everything, but got a letter through the post saying that they had gone bust.  The deal I got was 8 months half price rental, obviously by redemption.  guess i won't see any of that now.

probably best company on internet is www.e2save.com (they are carphonewarehouse but on the web.)

Offline El mooro

• Compo of the Opera
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "A Bastion of Invincibility"
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2006, 10:56:02 pm »
I'm waiting for the Nokia N80.

Found Samsung phones too easy to accidentally break- my two d500's both suffered cracked L.C.D.'s.
Daft Little Ground, Silly Game, Eff Off!

Offline Lenny

• Main Stander
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2006, 10:05:42 am »
Finally got a Nokia 6111 (after months of waiting) on Orange Student 60 - £19 a month for 60mins + 1000 texts a month(!)

Only problem is the phone's battery is shit, lasts less than two days, with moderate usage.

Time to send it back I think, as, I've a mate who had exactly the same problem with the 6111, could be a problem throughout the whole range.
Oh his father was a soldier...

Offline Spartacus.

• I dragged Rafa into the pub. Knits only with the finest quality Wools.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2006, 06:54:35 pm »
I can't even get the phone to read my bloody sim card....
RAWK anti scouse?
YNWA is more than a song, think about it.

Offline Hoppy

• Wino
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Attack Attack Attack
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2006, 09:42:53 pm »
Finally got a Nokia 6111 (after months of waiting) on Orange Student 60 - £19 a month for 60mins + 1000 texts a month(!)

Only problem is the phone's battery is shit, lasts less than two days, with moderate usage.

Time to send it back I think, as, I've a mate who had exactly the same problem with the 6111, could be a problem throughout the whole range.

A lot of new Nokia phones have battery issues, and it's usually to do with the software.  Nokia have launched v3.59 (type *#0000# to find out your handsets' software) which should help with this problem......take it to your local Nokia Service Centre for a free software upgrade.   www.nokia.co.uk/nokia/0,,77483,00.html
In for a week, Out for a month....Duncan is a Tampon!

Offline Lenny

• Main Stander
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2006, 10:57:58 am »
A lot of new Nokia phones have battery issues, and it's usually to do with the software.  Nokia have launched v3.59 (type *#0000# to find out your handsets' software) which should help with this problem......take it to your local Nokia Service Centre for a free software upgrade.   www.nokia.co.uk/nokia/0,,77483,00.html

Cheers mate i'll look into that.

Offline The not so lazy.boy

• Suspected Naturist Shoplifter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Make Us Dream
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2006, 11:00:53 am »
Is your bluetooth on constantly? That sometimes drains the battery quicker.
Same shit, Different day!

Offline Lenny

• Main Stander
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2006, 11:05:38 am »
Is your bluetooth on constantly? That sometimes drains the battery quicker.

Nope, I keep the bluetooth turned off unless i'm using it.

I've checked the software on my phone & it's v03.58 so I think i need to get it updated.

Offline Ferg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2006, 11:33:29 am »
I've had the Nokia 6270 for just over a month now and the slide has gone a LOT 'wobbly'
I'm on the o2 online 100 tarriff.
Any ideas what I can do beacuse i dont really want to send it back 'cos i'll have no phone then.
Thanks.
Who wouldn't want to kick someone called Ferguson?
Quote from: Rafa Benitez
A big heart has space for everyone.

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2006, 05:27:22 pm »
I've had the Nokia 6270 for just over a month now and the slide has gone a LOT 'wobbly'
Any ideas what I can do beacuse i dont really want to send it back 'cos i'll have no phone then.
Thanks.

not alot you can do. You have 14 days from the start of your contract to change your mind - after then your screwed. if its a faulty product and outside of the first 28 days you have to send it away for repair.

Offline Ferg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2006, 09:21:13 pm »
Ok,thanks Matt. :wave
Do you think i should conveniently 'lose' it,being as i'm gonna be without a phone? ;D

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2006, 12:30:16 am »
Ok,thanks Matt. :wave
Do you think i should conveniently 'lose' it,being as i'm gonna be without a phone? ;D

well its up to you. I could get in big big trouble if i advised you do that. If you lost it and you didnt have insurance youd be fucked tho. Could always try the o2 shop, sometiems have loan phones. But the stock is limited due to chavy c*nts not bringing them back.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2006, 02:31:01 pm »
I like this one.  I like phones that look nice. 

I've just bought one of them, and very nice it is too :)

Only had it a few days so I ain't got to grips with everything it can do and stuff (always had a 'basic' phone, so 90% of the stuff this can do is new to me :D ) it's easy to use and has a decent amount of memory on it out of the box, not sure if it's upgradable but I'm not arsed. Games are alright, deffo need to be sorting out some ringtones cos I'm hating all of them on it, apart from the train and jungle call ones ;D

Offline Ferg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2006, 03:52:45 pm »
Cheers Matt :thumbup

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2006, 01:02:28 pm »
I've got a Nokia 6111 too, and found two problems in it:

1. The phone doesn't read the sim, so I can't see any of my contacts.

2. I can listen to the person calling me, but FSR I can't actually talk into it. My mum called me many times, she kept saying hello, so I can't talk into it. Dunno why.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2006, 02:45:50 pm »
Does anyone know when the K800i is released?

Offline Eli_B (aka Badland Red)

• The resident lurking Saddler
  • Legacy Fan
    • My Mobile Blog
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2006, 07:00:10 pm »
Graeme - as far as i know after reading a couple of mobile magazines that i buy quite regularly (i.e. What Mobile and Total Mobile) the K800i* is rumoured to be released sometime in June.

*I reckon that the K800i and the Nokia N80 imo will be the two most wanted phones for 2006

Walsall FC aka the red and white Saddlers. The innovators as well as the first sports team in England/UK, to sell the Chicken Balti Pie:

http://upthesaddlers.com/wp/ 

With a soft spot for the redmen of Liverpool since the League Cup Semi Final 1984. RIP to the 39 in Brussels and of course the 96.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2006, 07:26:06 pm »
Thanks.

You could also remind them of this little snippet of UK consumer law...

Sale of Goods Act 1979 and then amended in the Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994

buyers have the right to expect that the goods they buy are:

“... fit for all intended purposes”

If goods turn out to be unsuitable for their intended use or develop a fault in an unusually short period of time, the buyer has a right to a refund or damages. If some time has passed since the purchase was made, yet the fault is still deemed unreasonable for the use the item has had, then the buyer has a right to just damages. This means that the trader might repair the goods or, if this is not practical, pay compensation (adjusted if necessary to allow for any use already obtained from the goods).

A good example would be a pair of shoes that came apart after being worn only a couple of times – they were obviously not fit for the intended purpose and the buyer has the right to a refund or damages (which may take the form of replacement). If the same thing happened after, say, a couple of months light wear, then damages might be due.

Thank me later.

:wave
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2006, 07:27:55 pm »
Ordered a N91 off Mobileshop.com on friday - hopefully I will get it at the end of the week

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2006, 07:40:43 pm »
You could also remind them of this little snippet of UK consumer law...

Sale of Goods Act 1979 and then amended in the Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994

buyers have the right to expect that the goods they buy are:

“... fit for all intended purposes”

If goods turn out to be unsuitable for their intended use or develop a fault in an unusually short period of time, the buyer has a right to a refund or damages. If some time has passed since the purchase was made, yet the fault is still deemed unreasonable for the use the item has had, then the buyer has a right to just damages. This means that the trader might repair the goods or, if this is not practical, pay compensation (adjusted if necessary to allow for any use already obtained from the goods).

A good example would be a pair of shoes that came apart after being worn only a couple of times – they were obviously not fit for the intended purpose and the buyer has the right to a refund or damages (which may take the form of replacement). If the same thing happened after, say, a couple of months light wear, then damages might be due.

Thank me later.

o2 have this covered. If its under 28 days onld i gets replaced. If over 28 days it gets sent away fro a free repair. I've had the argument many times with customers, but the time limits are at the retailers discresion. And thats pretty much industry standard.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 08:12:09 pm by Matt S »

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2006, 07:42:38 pm »
I'm in love with my new phone :-[

but... i wanna be getting some games for it, and maybe some nice themes and stuff, ringtones I can do myself and I refuse to pay £3 for them anyway.

I bought one game the other day off the sony site and it cost me like £4.50 :-\ anyone know anywhere cheaper?

It's a sony ericsson Z520i btw.

Offline JoeH

• Slightly obsessed with things up the bum - thinks it's funny.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2006, 08:04:30 pm »
I am thinking of getting one of those Phones with Sat Nav on from t-mobile, anyone got one? Just to know what there like. I like the look of the PDA features too!  Looking at the MDA with co-pilot.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2006, 08:48:35 pm »
o2 have this covered. If its under 28 days onld i gets replaced. If over 28 days it gets sent away fro a free repair. I've had the argument many times with customers, but the time limits are at the retailers discresion. And thats pretty much industry standard.

Certainly not at the retailers discretion, legally. It's not going to happen, of course, but if someone bought a new phone, and it was faulty beyond 28 days due to a defect (ie, not damaged) and took o2 to small claims, they WOULD win.

Never happen of course, but I have heard of people do it with computers / washing machines / fridges etc when they break just past the 1 year warranty.

Offline Ferg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2006, 10:01:02 pm »
Thanks,Nidge. I'll look into it. :thumbup

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2006, 10:44:20 pm »
I'm in love with my new phone :-[

but... i wanna be getting some games for it, and maybe some nice themes and stuff, ringtones I can do myself and I refuse to pay £3 for them anyway.

I bought one game the other day off the sony site and it cost me like £4.50 :-\ anyone know anywhere cheaper?

It's a sony ericsson Z520i btw.

try mobango.com (i think) - you can download stuff for free (there is a limit tho), and some of it is decent

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2006, 08:12:49 am »
www.zedge.net for free games, themes and wallpapers etc.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2006, 12:16:28 pm »
try mobango.com (i think) - you can download stuff for free (there is a limit tho), and some of it is decent
www.zedge.net for free games, themes and wallpapers etc.

cheers guys :)

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2006, 12:22:49 pm »

Anytime I've bought a phone from Vodafone and its developed a fault within the first year they've always couriered me out a new replacement to swap.

Offline Hoppy

• Wino
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Attack Attack Attack
« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2006, 03:47:48 pm »
Thanks.

Just take it into your local Nokia Service Centre & they should be able to fix it there & then (2 hours max)
In for a week, Out for a month....Duncan is a Tampon!

Offline Ferg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2006, 07:48:33 pm »
Just take it into your local Nokia Service Centre & they should be able to fix it there & then (2 hours max)

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2006, 09:14:36 pm »
Plenty of free SE games on Limewire too, Claire. :wave
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2006, 11:58:12 pm »
Anytime I've bought a phone from Vodafone and its developed a fault within the first year they've always couriered me out a new replacement to swap.

youve probably paid for insurance then. when I was with vodafone and my phone broke they were less than helpful. If you have insurance you should get couriered out a new phone.

Offline Tim

• Make that an umbrella in my Breezer. Jimmy Anderson's stunt double.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Welcome to Heaven
« Reply #77 on: April 26, 2006, 12:10:58 am »
Does anyone know when the K800i is released?

I would also like to know this. I know they haven't on this but I wish SE would jib that joystick off.
If you're going to sign up on Betfair please use my code N4TFVF4PK

We'll both get £20

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2006, 09:29:29 am »
youve probably paid for insurance then. when I was with vodafone and my phone broke they were less than helpful. If you have insurance you should get couriered out a new phone.

No I didn't largely because the chance of me ever paying for insurance on anything is slim ;)

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2006, 11:19:20 am »
I've just got an Orange SPV M600 as an upgrade, and it's pretty much the DB's.

It's not so much a phone, more of a PDA and general purpose thing for your pocket.