Author Topic: The Punk Rock appreciation thread.......,  (Read 28467 times)

Offline Mad Max

• Propa bad Wool. tried it just for once found it all right for kicks. but now you found out that it's a habit that sticks.
  • Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Punk Rock appreciation thread.......,
« Reply #240 on: February 3, 2012, 09:48:31 am »
Was listening to the Wall - Ghetto and Menace - GLC last night, bouncing tunes.

Offline Enemy

• Fairly low-maintenance pritsatoixouphobic.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #241 on: February 17, 2012, 07:04:48 pm »
Picked up the bass for 20 minutes earlier. Never played it before. Got my first gig on Wednesday.  8)
Enemy, at that time, and now, I cant think of anything good to say about her. She's still being a c*nt

Offline Mad Max

• Propa bad Wool. tried it just for once found it all right for kicks. but now you found out that it's a habit that sticks.
  • Boys Pen
« Reply #242 on: February 17, 2012, 09:18:20 pm »
Public Image Ltd are headlining on the Saturday night at the Rebellion Punk festival in Blackpool in August.

Offline Wait for it!!!

• Unimaginative pisshead!!! +!!
  • Kopite
  • hat, cap, scarf or your banner??
« Reply #243 on: February 17, 2012, 10:39:56 pm »
Public Image Ltd are headlining on the Saturday night at the Rebellion Punk festival in Blackpool in August.
Details por favor???
Keegan to Smith to Keegan and Newcastle were undressed!!!!!
Wembley Stadium May 1974 - as a 12 year old flared, stack shoed Alsop Comp LFC diehard. The joy!!

Offline Mad Max

• Boys Pen

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: February 18, 2012, 10:40:20 am »
Wow, I used to LOVE The Subhumans back in the day. Gutted I missed this post last year as I may have nipped up to Sheffield.

Did you go? The Subhumans must have done 'Religious Wars'. Just skipped through my iPhone music and Religious Wars is on here.

Magnificent track. Just what's needed at 8am on a Friday.

Loved The Subhumans..Listening to them now,,,Zyklon b Movie,,,,,,AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH

this cover was on the back of me jacket all those years ago...gloss paint and tippex -)
bollocks

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: September 2, 2020, 10:52:46 am »
40 years ago the Dead Kennedys released their debut studio album "Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables" (September 2, 1980)

IMO the greatest punk album ever made, and there have been some amazing ones that's for sure.

Remember spinning up this album on my mates brothers turntable circa 1981 and it changed my music taste forever.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 12:08:39 pm by Buck Pete »

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #247 on: September 2, 2020, 12:59:16 pm »
40 years ago the Dead Kennedys released their debut studio album "Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables" (September 2, 1980)

IMO the greatest punk album ever made, and there have been some amazing ones that's for sure.

Remember spinning up this album on my mates brothers turntable circa 1981 and it changed my music taste forever.

Same here, totally defined my teen listening. Seeing them in their prime was unforgettable,  the Warehouse in 1982 in particular.  Some band, some album. BTW, there is a superb podcast called No Dogs in Space currently running a 4 parter on the band. Really recommended. 

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: September 2, 2020, 01:37:28 pm »
Same here, totally defined my teen listening. Seeing them in their prime was unforgettable,  the Warehouse in 1982 in particular.  Some band, some album. BTW, there is a superb podcast called No Dogs in Space currently running a 4 parter on the band. Really recommended. 

Defo gonna check that podcast mate. Cheers

A Jello fronted DK and a Bon Scott led AC/DC are my 2 biggest misses in regards to live gigs.  Alas I was just too young.

Born 10 years too late me :)

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #249 on: September 2, 2020, 02:54:03 pm »
Remember my brother playing Holiday in Cambodia - wow what a track.

That influenced me into getting into Nirvana of all bands.

Nirvana have a bit of a hard time with many different music fans but fuck me they're brilliant.

Listen to their early stuff - if that ain't influenced by punk then I don't know what.

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: September 2, 2020, 03:33:16 pm »
Remember my brother playing Holiday in Cambodia - wow what a track.

"Playing ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz, on your 5 grand stereo" :)

The B-side of HiC was "Police Truck"

As an 11/12 year old listening to the lyrics to that was truly shocking.

Jello told it how it was for sure.

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #251 on: September 2, 2020, 04:05:56 pm »

Saw them at Eric's/Brady's on a weekday night. Thursday perhaps. Wasn't sold out but they were wonderful.

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #252 on: September 2, 2020, 04:47:43 pm »
Saw them at Eric's/Brady's on a weekday night. Thursday perhaps. Wasn't sold out but they were wonderful.
Just 12 months too young for that one, and I doubt they did a legendary Erics matinee! I first saw them at the Royal Court, of all places. 1981, and only the floor was open. Stunning but bizarre. Supported by the estimable underdogs Reiner Chaos, if I recall (could be wrong).

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: December 11, 2021, 12:07:13 pm »
Fuck

Just seen that Mensi from the Angelic Upstarts has died of COVID :(

Not sure of his age but I'm guessing he was about 60.

Some absolute memorable tracks from the Upstarts and listed to them all through my youth.

RIP

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: March 4, 2022, 07:37:42 pm »
Fuck

Just seen that Mensi from the Angelic Upstarts has died of COVID :(

Not sure of his age but I'm guessing he was about 60.

Some absolute memorable tracks from the Upstarts and listed to them all through my youth.

RIP

Bump this,Mensi Was a great front man, sad lose.The Upstarts were due to play in Boston a good few years back,i was chatting with the guitarist about how little violence there was at Boston shows while one of the support bands was on when it all kicks off down by the stage and the gig gets cancelled on the spot.Still pissed about not getting to see em again.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: March 24, 2022, 10:51:44 pm »
Belfast punk rock.Anyone seen em live?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/YbHrSZebqoQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/YbHrSZebqoQ</a>

Offline Johnny Aldridge

• Kopite
  • Red & White Crown Paints Kop
« Reply #256 on: March 25, 2022, 01:51:05 am »
My Top 10 Punk/Proto Albums

LAMF - The Heartbreakers
Nevermind The Bollocks - Sex Pistols
Kick out the Jams - MC5
Funhouse - Stooges
Motörhead - Motörhead (Yep, it’s a punk album)
Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables - Dead Kennedys
Inflammable Material - Stiff Little Fingers
Leave Home - The Ramones
White Light/White Hear - The Velvet Underground
New York Dolls - New York Dolls

For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side.
Bill Shankly 1913-1981.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: March 26, 2022, 08:14:18 pm »
 Not a top ten ,but 10 that mean alot to me,could probably add another 10,20,30 just thinking about it now!

The clash- self titled
SLF-Inflammable material
U.K Subs- Another kind of blues
Discharge-why?
Anti sect - In darkness there is no choice
The Subhumans-The day the country died
Colera- Tente mudar o Amanha
Jerrys Kids- Is this my world
Negazione-Lo spirito continua
Ruts -The crack

Offline Johnny Aldridge

• Kopite
« Reply #258 on: March 26, 2022, 10:19:37 pm »
It’s hard to choose just 10!
For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side.
Bill Shankly 1913-1981.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #259 on: March 31, 2022, 04:06:54 pm »
Inflammable Material is the best album for me. The sheer rawness and energy is fantastic. I grew up in and around Belfast at the time and I loved the swipe at those involved in violence and terrorism……..it was our time and how dare anyone try to destroy things and get us to fight their bloody war.
#JFT97

Offline Johnny Aldridge

• Kopite
« Reply #260 on: April 1, 2022, 06:15:15 am »
Inflammable Material is the best album for me. The sheer rawness and energy is fantastic. I grew up in and around Belfast at the time and I loved the swipe at those involved in violence and terrorism……..it was our time and how dare anyone try to destroy things and get us to fight their bloody war.

Right behind you here lad.
Bill Shankly 1913-1981.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: April 1, 2022, 08:19:32 am »
Great shout on Inflammable Material. One of the greatest punk albums ever made IMO. Probably did more to explain to ignorant spotty teenagers like me what was going on in NI at the time, than the news did! Not one bad track either. Even came to enjoy “Closed Groove”.

Inflammable Material along with these 2 albums were my own undisputed early 80”s goto albums.

Feeding of the 5000 - Crass
Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegatables - Dead Kennedy’s

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #262 on: April 4, 2022, 09:54:55 am »
The Undertones were on at the O2 Academy on Saturday, supported by Hugh Cornwell.

Fantastic stuff, even with a stand-in drummer as Billy is unwell.
Legacy fan

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #263 on: April 4, 2022, 10:40:31 am »
Just posting some love for Wire. They quickly went into art rock / post punk territory but their debut album Pink Flag is a punk landmark IMO

I want to be a field day for the Sundays so they can fuck up my life
Embarrass my wife, and leave a bad taste
That striped toothpaste can't remove on Monday mornings

I want to be a target for the dailies so they can show
Pictures of me with a nude on page three, so lacking in taste
Touched up near the waist, looking as limp as Monday morning
Touched up near the waist, looking as limp as Monday morning

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: April 4, 2022, 06:45:35 pm »
Yeah Pink Flag is a really good album.I'm not sure if i've bothered with anything else Wire have done after that.Was it them that kept banging on about not being punk ? Or am i thinking about someone else Howard Devoto maybe?

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #265 on: April 5, 2022, 09:49:11 am »
Pink Flag is indeed a 'classic' Lp...But Chairs Missing and 154 are fucking great too..infact I'd say all three 10/10.
The latter two massive departure from Pink Flag abut they kept the sound raw enough.

The single of Outdoor Minor was a sign of things to come...but its beautiful.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #266 on: April 5, 2022, 11:50:16 am »
I see ' Jordan' ( Pamela Rooke) has passed....a truely iconic image of the early punk days. seeing her picture in likes of NME 76/77 was exhilarating  and intimidating....I knew nothing of her then but knew this is it...something is changing.

plus very inspirational for women being part of it all...unlike heavy rock which appeared wholly a male thing ..even if it wasn't.
« Last Edit: April 5, 2022, 11:54:56 am by FlashingBlade »

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: April 5, 2022, 04:58:07 pm »
Just seen the obit for Pamela Rooke.

Iconic look and huge part of the early punk scene.

RIP

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: April 9, 2022, 03:17:26 pm »
Anyone listen to Craig Charles Trunk of Punk feature? Penny Rimbaud from Crass was on it friday.He went with Honey Bane,Poison Girls and KUKL none of em really my thing but good to hear on daytime radio.

Offline Johnny Aldridge

• Kopite
« Reply #269 on: May 27, 2022, 05:15:38 am »
Listened to Raw Power this evening, it’s a Smoking hot record. The stooges made some of the best albums I own. Funhouse is another perfect record, and the debut is great though the long tune bores me after a minute or two. Kill City is another must have from around that era.
Bill Shankly 1913-1981.

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #270 on: May 27, 2022, 10:28:12 am »
Listened to Raw Power this evening, it’s a Smoking hot record. The stooges made some of the best albums I own. Funhouse is another perfect record, and the debut is great though the long tune bores me after a minute or two. Kill City is another must have from around that era.

Just love Raw Power and go back to it on a very regular basis. It never ages.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: May 27, 2022, 10:45:57 am »
Yeah, it's positively insane how fresh Stooges sound 50 years later.

Offline Johnny Aldridge

• Kopite
« Reply #272 on: May 27, 2022, 11:33:45 pm »
The Stooges sounded so different to me in 1989 when I got into them first than other bands I listened to. They had a grove that slithered along. They still sound fresh and unique to me 30 years later Funhouse is probably the album I put on more frequently than the others. Caught them live a few times and touched Iggy! His skin was leathery and stone cold despite his onstage exertions. I’m glad they got they’re dues in later years. Ron Ashton was a groove monster.
Bill Shankly 1913-1981.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: May 30, 2022, 05:53:25 pm »
Is anyone gonna watch The Sex Pistols drama Series? I might give it a go if i can find It easily on the net.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: May 30, 2022, 06:49:13 pm »
Anyone listen to Craig Charles Trunk of Punk feature? Penny Rimbaud from Crass was on it friday.He went with Honey Bane,Poison Girls and KUKL none of em really my thing but good to hear on daytime radio.

Absolutely gutted i missed this

Would love to hear what Penny had to say.

Where was this broadcast mate?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: May 30, 2022, 06:59:09 pm »
Absolutely gutted i missed this

Would love to hear what Penny had to say.

Where was this broadcast mate?

Not available now but was here,https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0015tj9,dunno if there's another way to find it.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: May 30, 2022, 07:04:58 pm »

Not available now but was here,https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0015tj9,dunno if there's another way to find it.

ah bugger

Just read that Steve Ignorant did a farewell gig in 2011 at the Shepherd Bush Empire.  He was joined onstage by Penny for one last rendition of "Do they owe us living"

Wish to god I had known that was happening.  Genuinely gutted.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: May 30, 2022, 07:48:32 pm »
Steve Ignorant still tours with his crass all star band! I just dunno......

Online Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: May 30, 2022, 08:00:41 pm »
Is anyone gonna watch The Sex Pistols drama Series? I might give it a go if i can find It easily on the net.

Yes am looking forward to it. Theres an interview with Steve Jones in the latest issue of classic rock and in it he says "I cant wait for people to see it, its fucking great."

Offline Johnny Aldridge

• Kopite
« Reply #279 on: June 2, 2022, 02:23:02 am »
Yes am looking forward to it. Theres an interview with Steve Jones in the latest issue of classic rock and in it he says "I cant wait for people to see it, its fucking great."

So what did you think?

It’s hit and miss for me, the acting is great but it’s a bit forced at times and some is just made up and wasn’t in Steve’s Book.

(I met Jonsey once, and he was a gentleman)
Bill Shankly 1913-1981.