Author Topic: Any Springsteen fans?  (Read 216428 times)

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Any Springsteen fans?
« Reply #2360 on: July 21, 2021, 07:16:38 am »
On a side note, his daughter Jessica is representing the US equestrian jumping team at the Tokyo Olympics.

https://www.eonline.com/au/news/1290763/jessica-springsteen-shares-how-dad-bruce-reacted-after-she-made-the-olympic-team
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2361 on: August 5, 2021, 12:29:58 am »
Nice one mate, I'll let you know when P2 is out in case you miss it, I'm on the Slate Plus site every day.

Part 2 of the Slate music podcast is now available, again I really enjoyed it.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2362 on: August 7, 2021, 05:45:30 pm »
On a side note, his daughter Jessica is representing the US equestrian jumping team at the Tokyo Olympics.

https://www.eonline.com/au/news/1290763/jessica-springsteen-shares-how-dad-bruce-reacted-after-she-made-the-olympic-team

She won the silver medal in the team event today
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2363 on: August 7, 2021, 06:22:49 pm »
Part 2 of the Slate music podcast is now available, again I really enjoyed it.
Sorry mate meant to give a shout out.

Slates podcast platform is brilliant but the Hit Parade on its own is superb. There was a great one in July 2020 about the Michael McDonald, Steely Dan etc.
https://slate.com/podcasts/hit-parade/2020/07/yacht-rock-was-smooth-music-played-by-70s-80s-studio-pros

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2364 on: August 7, 2021, 07:43:12 pm »
Sorry mate meant to give a shout out.

Slates podcast platform is brilliant but the Hit Parade on its own is superb. There was a great one in July 2020 about the Michael McDonald, Steely Dan etc.
https://slate.com/podcasts/hit-parade/2020/07/yacht-rock-was-smooth-music-played-by-70s-80s-studio-pros

No worries, only came across the podcasts a few months ago when I saw someone recommend the Taylor Swift one. Listened to the AC/DC rule as well which I enjoyed so I'll give that one a listen as well.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #2365 on: August 7, 2021, 11:32:10 pm »
Just don't get it.

I like a wide range of stuff in every genre and yeah he's OK.

But just OK. Decent songs. Shite singer.

Nothing against the lad, but really there are much better performers, artistist and singers out there.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2366 on: August 7, 2021, 11:51:49 pm »
Just don't get it.

Nothing against the lad, but really there are much better performers, artistist and singers out there.

And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #2367 on: August 8, 2021, 12:11:51 am »

Awesome episode :)

But yeah, does seem a bit cultish..

People seem to get angry if you don't like him - like Lost in Translation - it's a film and I once got told if I didn't like it then 'I didn't have a soul'

Er.

Not sure who decided that when they invented the universe :)

I actually have bought a few albums to see if I was missing something and they are OK.
« Last Edit: August 8, 2021, 12:22:11 am by Andy @ Allerton »
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2368 on: August 8, 2021, 09:28:33 am »
Just don't get it.

As a die hard Bruce fan, and after seeing your opinions throughout this forum on several topics, I am absolutely fine with what you say, Andy  ;D

Honestly, if you have taken the time to listen to his live concerts from 1975 to 1981 or any of the following albums: Born to Run, Darkness, The River, Nebraska, and then WIESS and Tunnel Of Love, and you still think this, then his music is obviously not for you.
« Last Edit: August 8, 2021, 09:33:13 am by Seebab »
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #2369 on: August 11, 2021, 11:28:14 am »

Nothing against the lad...

:lmao

Nice one Grandad Andy   ;D

Offline Walshy7

• metete un palo por el culo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Its evolution baby
« Reply #2370 on: August 13, 2021, 03:17:26 am »
The Killers have released their 'Nebraska' and its bloody great
'You two scousers are always yappin, im gonna teach you some serious rappin, i come from Jamaica my name is john barnes, and when i do my thing the crowd go bananas'

Offline Seebab

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2371 on: October 29, 2021, 03:57:14 pm »
Loving the No Nukes stuff coming out.

This is truly Bruce at his peak in my opinion. The E-Street Band is soooo good.

Badlands: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzsAPhGpMkA&ab_channel=BruceSpringsteenVEVO

Sherry Darling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFE78WbrZjc&ab_channel=BruceSpringsteenVEVO
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 03:58:52 pm by Seebab »

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2372 on: October 29, 2021, 11:11:18 pm »

Badlands: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzsAPhGpMkA&ab_channel=BruceSpringsteenVEVO

Sherry Darling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFE78WbrZjc&ab_channel=BruceSpringsteenVEVO

The list of Springsteen gigs that could get an official release is just ridiculous. This No Nukes stuff sounds so great.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2373 on: October 29, 2021, 11:13:21 pm »
Still awaiting the next E Street Band tour. Got to catch them while we can, time is getting on for Bruce and co.

Eagerly awaiting the next album too - I love Western Stars and Letter To You, my favourite Bruce albums since Tunnel of Love. Not classics like, say, Born To Run or Nebraska but so bloody good and unbelievable quality for a star late on in his career.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #2374 on: October 30, 2021, 12:56:48 pm »

Cheers for them Seeb

Fantastic. You could well be right you know mate. So many "very" long time fans do say he was at his peak 'live' in those years leading up to and around The River album. And yet all of us who've seen him so many times since know that because he injects so much of himself into every song he performs in every performance he gives us you never ever come away from a show feeling less than 10 foot tall, entirely spent yet energized and smiling in the sure knowledge he's provided you with everything he possibly could have done on the night

That said mate - and reflecting on all I've seen of him - I'd still have to say the all time greatest Springsteen/E Street performance has to be the Hammersmith Odeon back in 1975. I'm sure you already know Seeb but for anyone who might not he complete show is on a DVD that comes with the 25th anniversary Special Edition Package of the Born to Run album.

If you haven't seen this then you must get it. It features the entire BTR album. Then again, thank god all the songs are on You Tube, too. If ever there is one concert I'd have loved to have seen in the flesh it has to be this Hammersmith Odeon show.

And just for a background as to just why it was so special. The show was Bruce and the E Street's British baptism following all that ridiculous hype which followed the Jon Landau quote of "I've seen the future of rock 'n' roll and his name is Bruce Springsteen". So the stakes were very very high for this seemingly overhyped artist still in his early 20's coming to these shores. Possibly higher than they've ever been for any artist appearing anywhere. Except perhaps Dylan on his '60's European tour with The Hawks. The critics were all there ready to pounce and inflict their snide denigrations if Bruce and the E Street fell remotely short of the mark. And Bruce and the band knew it. They were effectively up against the wall in having to live up to that hype.

And boy did they deliver. And then some.

The performance they gave is simply staggering. Off the scale. And it's there on the attached videos to see. That same energy we've all come to expect down the years was there in abundance but it was delivered with an almost imperceptible yet crucial degree of restraint to ensure a more artistic, choreographed and polished performance than those we've become accustomed since to seeing. Also Bruce really does deliver his mister street kid/corner boy eschewing style and attitude. It is in one word - essential.

I haven't got a favourite from the DVD but I'm linking "She's The One" and "Backstreets" as on a quick countback I think they very marginally give me the most goosebumps.

She's The One

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/cx_K0tFXr8k" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/cx_K0tFXr8k</a>

Backstreets

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/YnNnYjlF1Us" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/YnNnYjlF1Us</a>

Offline Seebab

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2375 on: October 30, 2021, 02:20:40 pm »
Have to agree with you Timbo. It's definitely one of the tightest performances from the band ever. It's got my definite versions of Kitty's Back and She's the One, and For You, Rosalita, Lost In the Flood as well as the slow downed Thunder Road opener are outstanding. Not a bad song on that list. The only thing about Hammersmith that lets it down is the crowd interaction - most likely due to the reasons you mentioned above in your post - which is almost non-existent in comparison with his latter performances.

My top 5 live shows do include Hammersmith '75, Winterland '78 and Nassau Vets' 80. Just need to find the other two now :)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 02:23:36 pm by Seebab »

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #2376 on: October 31, 2021, 03:15:15 pm »
Have to agree with you Timbo. It's definitely one of the tightest performances from the band ever. It's got my definite versions of Kitty's Back and She's the One, and For You, Rosalita, Lost In the Flood as well as the slow downed Thunder Road opener are outstanding. Not a bad song on that list. The only thing about Hammersmith that lets it down is the crowd interaction - most likely due to the reasons you mentioned above in your post - which is almost non-existent in comparison with his latter performances.

My top 5 live shows do include Hammersmith '75, Winterland '78 and Nassau Vets' 80. Just need to find the other two now :)

Funnily enough I've never thought of that show in "crowd" terms but you're right Seeb. It is so unusual by normal Springsteen concert standards to have no 'atmosphere' whatsoever. But I guess that 100% concentration simply on his and the band's performance for the full concert duration to prove every last dollop of the hype was entirely justified is what sets it apart. I certainly get the distinct impression that prior to the concert they had all focussed in on a sort of "we'll show these c*nts just how fucking amazing we really are". Then, as the concert progressed, it's almost as if they were revelling in displaying his and their genius.

:)

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2377 on: December 16, 2021, 10:14:26 am »

Bruce Springsteen sells song catalogue to Sony for $500m
Deal for hugely admired songcraft is biggest in string of catalogue sales in recent years, including music of Bob Dylan, Neil Young and members of Fleetwood Mac

Bruce Springsteen has sold his entire song catalogue to Sony Music in a deal worth $500m, according to anonymous sources speaking to Billboard and the New York Times.

The sale, which encompasses his recorded work and his songwriting, will give Sony ownership of one of the most admired bodies of work in pop and rock: over 300 songs spanning 20 studio albums plus other releases.

Coldplay performing in Italy this month – the band have led the way in reducing emissions.
Music industry unites to pledge net-zero emissions by 2050

The huge sum dwarfs even the reported $300m paid by Universal for Bob Dylan’s songwriting catalogue in December 2020, and the reported $150m paid for a 50% share of Neil Young’s catalogue to the UK investment fund Hipgnosis in January 2021.

Numerous other artists have sold off the rights to their work in the last couple of years, including Lindsey Buckingham, Stevie Nicks and Christine McVie of Fleetwood Mac; Paul Simon, Tina Turner, Shakira and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. In November it was reported that a sale of David Bowie’s catalogue for around $200m was being prepared.

The deals are taking place as the streaming market consolidates, and begins to generate substantial and ongoing royalty payments for songwriters and performers – particularly for major stars who are likely to accumulate royalties for decades to come. Song catalogues are also valuable because tracks can be synced to advertising, or TV and movie soundtracks, to generate further revenue.

While the musicians could potentially stand to make more money in the long term by holding onto their song rights, a huge cash payout while they are still alive is an attractive prospect, giving them and their estate a simple asset to deal with. Artists trust in, and sometimes have longstanding ties to, the companies they are selling to: in Springsteen’s case, he has been with the Sony-owned Columbia Records since his debut album in 1973.

Sony now own a hugely celebrated body of work that has won 20 Grammy awards and generated millions of sales; with his earthy songwriting about blue-collar America, and its love affairs, dreams and dark moments, Springsteen is almost a genre unto himself.

Highlights from his discography include his euphoric 1975 breakthrough Born to Run; the literary songwriting of his first US No 1, The River (1980); and the blockbuster pop – and savagely ironic patriotism – of 1984’s Born in the USA, which went 15 times platinum in the US. Springsteen’s songs have occasionally been hits for other artists, such as Patti Smith’s Because the Night, Manfred Mann’s Earth Band’s Blinded By the Light, and the Pointer Sisters’ Fire.

Also celebrated as one of the most reliably excellent live performers in rock – where the 72-year-old can continue to generate extra revenue if he wishes – Springsteen continues to write and record, most recently with two albums in quick succession: 2019’s Western Stars followed by 2020’s Letter to You. A one-man show interspersing songs with memoir, Springsteen on Broadway, ran intermittently from 2017 to 2021.

The Guardian has contacted Springsteen’s representatives for further details about the deal.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/dec/16/bruce-springsteen-sells-entire-back-catalogue-of-music-to-sony-for-500m-report

Offline MadErik

• Legacy Fan
  • NS
« Reply #2378 on: May 24, 2022, 10:20:17 am »
"I was only in the game for the love of football -- and I wanted to bring back happiness to the people of Liverpool."

Offline Seebab

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2379 on: May 24, 2022, 07:45:18 pm »
https://twitter.com/nilslofgren/status/1528953108910329856?s=20&t=lC6DplgqYrTXHViptAJc-w

:D

Tickets on sale Friday, apparently (for Dublin, anyhow).
Cheers mate! Great to know. Tickets are expensive but it might be their last tour so worth it.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #2380 on: May 24, 2022, 08:04:06 pm »
UK dates to be announced

SURELY this is going to be the chance to play at Anfield. Pretty please Boss.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Seebab

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2381 on: May 24, 2022, 08:05:52 pm »
UK dates to be announced

SURELY this is going to be the chance to play at Anfield. Pretty please Boss.

Will the new stand be finished by around those dates next year? That might be a factor in the decision-making.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #2382 on: May 24, 2022, 08:24:18 pm »
Will the new stand be finished by around those dates next year? That might be a factor in the decision-making.

Can't say myself whether it will be, but I'd assume it would be. At the end of this season and during the World Cup break that will give time without games to make ample progress, which I'd expect them to ramp up in early 2023. Would like to think it'd be finished by say June/July '23. Then again, how much time to prepare for concerts and other events between seasons, and how long is needed to prepare for the next season? We shall see.

As far as I know it's only been 2019 that has held multiple concerts, happening again this year and when the stand is done I'd expect it to be a more regular thing from 2023 onwards in the summers.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 08:26:05 pm by disgraced cake »

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #2383 on: May 24, 2022, 11:46:16 pm »
Almost certain Anfield will be one of the dates in 2023.

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #2384 on: May 27, 2022, 08:39:52 am »

Gut feeling or inside info?

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #2385 on: May 27, 2022, 09:28:25 am »

Mrs P was complaining that his tour venues didn’t include any dates in the UK and all seem to be in EU countries, cue rant about Bozo and Brexit. :D

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2386 on: May 27, 2022, 09:37:27 am »

I told my kids i`d take them the next time he brought the band, fingers crossed for Glasgow.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2387 on: May 27, 2022, 11:46:56 am »
Standing tickets in Dublin €131 a bit steep

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2388 on: May 27, 2022, 11:47:50 am »

Depends were your standing.

Offline MadErik

• Legacy Fan
  • NS
« Reply #2389 on: May 27, 2022, 12:36:32 pm »
If he played an hour and a half set, then maybe so. If you’re getting three hours’ worth…
"I was only in the game for the love of football -- and I wanted to bring back happiness to the people of Liverpool."

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2390 on: May 27, 2022, 12:46:19 pm »

:o

Not that I'd ever go to see him, but I'm so glad that I get into Glastonbury free every year.

"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Momos_righteye

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2391 on: May 27, 2022, 01:52:30 pm »

Imagine that! Would be epic!

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2392 on: May 27, 2022, 09:38:45 pm »
Depends were your standing.
If you've ever been to Dublin, you'll realise that the entry fee is always the cheapest part of anything there, it'll be €131 x 2 to start with, hotel at €200 minimum, travel, food, drink, merchandise etc, it would literally be cheaper to fly to England or Scotland to see him, I've already seen him, and I love him, but the cost is prohibitive.

Offline MadErik

• Legacy Fan
  • NS

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2394 on: July 14, 2022, 09:45:53 am »
Nothing in the North West at all is a bit crap isn't it, especially after all this time. I've got tickets to see him in Copenhagen but just assumed he'd at least play Manchester too, with a small hope for Anfield.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2395 on: July 14, 2022, 09:49:21 am »
If you've ever been to Dublin, you'll realise that the entry fee is always the cheapest part of anything there, it'll be €131 x 2 to start with, hotel at €200 minimum, travel, food, drink, merchandise etc, it would literally be cheaper to fly to England or Scotland to see him, I've already seen him, and I love him, but the cost is prohibitive.

It was more of a joke about standing and being steep, but yes I've been to Dublin and it is expensive af.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2396 on: July 14, 2022, 11:00:39 am »
I would have preferred Glasgow over Murrayfield, but promised my kids I’d take them.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #2397 on: July 14, 2022, 01:56:56 pm »
That's probably that as far as the UK stadium dates go. Think he'll do some festivals, possible even Glastonbury but a really underwhelming selection for the UK stadium dates.

Anfield would have been biblical I reckon  :(

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #2398 on: July 14, 2022, 06:53:39 pm »
Could there be more UK dates announced?

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #2399 on: July 14, 2022, 08:55:53 pm »
Could there be more UK dates announced?

Personally I think the only UK dates he has to come next summer will be festivals if anything. That said I'd like to think so because the ones announced today are poor. Two at Hyde Park which isn't even a good venue, Villa Park and one in Scotland. Very underwhelming.

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019