Author Topic: Nat Phillips  (Read 237256 times)

Offline Gray Hamster

• Not bong eyed but quite fond of little furry things.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Nat Phillips
« Reply #280 on: January 28, 2021, 11:02:13 pm »
Far worse on the ball than Rhys and to be honest they’re much of much ness because we can’t play a high line with either
Our young defenders are getting bullied by opposition at the moment who smell blood and see big weakness in our defence. We need strong combative defenders, not necessarily great ball players. At this moment in time Phillips physicality is far more important to us then Williams ball playing ability.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #281 on: January 28, 2021, 11:07:30 pm »
Far worse on the ball than Rhys and to be honest they’re much of much ness because we can’t play a high line with either

We shouldn't be playing a high line currently.

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #282 on: January 28, 2021, 11:08:12 pm »

In the second half we played a lower line and counter-attacked very effectively with Phillips very much part of that. That's something we can build on in the rest of the season as well. Phillips and Rhys-Williams are nothing alike.

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #283 on: January 28, 2021, 11:09:18 pm »
Our young defenders are getting bullied by opposition at the moment who smell blood and see big weakness in our defence. We need strong combative defenders, not necessarily great ball players. At this moment in time Phillips physicality is far more important to us then Williams ball playing ability.
Exactly. Well said. His physicality is what we need in our current state. Ball playing? Well ... his long clearance found Bobby for that disallowed Salah goal. We are not looking for Virgil-like distribution. We just need him to be able to find the closest Liverpool player and I think he can do that ...
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #284 on: January 28, 2021, 11:12:03 pm »
In the second half we played a lower line and counter-attacked very effectively with Phillips very much part of that. That's something we can build on in the rest of the season as well. Phillips and Rhys-Williams are nothing alike.

We had the lead today ... Klopps never setting his team up like that - especially not against the bottom 75% of the league ... you’re asking him to throw out everything he’s drilled into them for 4 years. There’s no counter pressing if you drop off and try and counter
It’s the reason he’s started Henderson over both of them

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #285 on: January 28, 2021, 11:16:11 pm »
We had the lead today ... Klopps never setting his team up like that - especially not against the bottom 75% of the league ... you’re asking him to throw out everything he’s drilled into them for 4 years. There’s no counter pressing if you drop off and try and counter
It’s the reason he’s started Henderson over both of them

He showed he can play a part though, sometimes, very competently so. That should be the takeaway for me from this game. A game that we bossed against a team that is supposed to be good, with the help of Phillips. No need to be cynical about that IMO.

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #286 on: January 28, 2021, 11:21:15 pm »
I was worried after he got his early yellow card but he did much better after that. Made a couple of very good tackles and interceptions.

Let's not fool ourselves though - he's not the long-term answer to our problems in defence.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that he is, just that we have someone capable of stepping in when needed.
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline Ratboy3G

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #287 on: January 28, 2021, 11:22:59 pm »
Why?  Can’t say it’s because he’s quicker....because both are pretty slow.

For me Phillips seems more aggressive and more combative and that is what we need right now, without a doubt

Mainly because he is 4 years younger and a better passer of the ball. But as others have said Phillips is the better option for this season.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #288 on: January 28, 2021, 11:46:41 pm »
Thing is with centre backs is that experience counts. Nat knows his level and does not try to think he is above that, as long as he plays alongside a more mobile player he has some cover. He does the simple things and has occasional tools in the box that probably only Virgil has. There will be an occasion when he will be the target for a last minute winner from a corner as well.

He did well tonight, especially considering the mobility of their forwards, he will be useful against West Ham and Brighton
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #289 on: January 28, 2021, 11:48:37 pm »
It’s a real shame he’s so slow as he’s got a lot to his game otherwise.

Offline Ratboy3G

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: January 29, 2021, 12:12:38 am »
It’s a real shame he’s so slow as he’s got a lot to his game otherwise.

I think after this season he'll move on and have a very good career playing for one of the many sides which set up to have centre backs with his skill set, hopefully he'll take a few winners medals with him too.

Offline buttersstotch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: January 29, 2021, 01:30:48 am »
I feel more comfortable with him in the defence than Williams, like many have already pointed out, Williams looks to have a higher ceiling but we can't afford to mess about with that and I don't think he is going to be the elite player that you could way up the benefi/risk for in thie short term.

He's certainly not comfortable on the ball, we adapted our shape second half and noticeably when we were playing about with the ball in defence we looked to cut him out if we could, through a midfielder dropping deeper or just old school kick and hope. But he is so much more physical than Rhys and offers some aerial dominance that we lack without Virgi/Matip. Obviously he is nowhere near good enough for us longer term as he offers us absolutely nothing in terms of build up.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #292 on: January 29, 2021, 01:32:11 am »
I think after this season he'll move on and have a very good career playing for one of the many sides which set up to have centre backs with his skill set, hopefully he'll take a few winners medals with him too.

Yeah I agree. I hope another PL side who plays much deeper takes a punt on him as think he’d be a very good PL player in that sort of set up.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #293 on: January 29, 2021, 01:41:35 am »
Yeah I agree. I hope another PL side who plays much deeper takes a punt on him as think he’d be a very good PL player in that sort of set up.

Hodgson would love him.

Offline AmSeeker

• ABbitOfAnAttention
  • Main Stander
« Reply #294 on: January 29, 2021, 04:58:44 am »
He isn't too bad - certainly a few levels up on Williams with his experience. Good in the air, brave. Lack of pace can be ironed out by experience and positioning. Certainly should be ahead of Williams.

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
  • Love Firmino, hate bastards
« Reply #295 on: January 29, 2021, 06:57:49 am »
He would be great for Burnley, no doubt.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: January 29, 2021, 07:51:49 am »
He's a bit like Skrtel but with less ability. You know you're getting some great crunching challenges but also might give away a penalty at any minute.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline daveonthespionkop1900

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #297 on: January 29, 2021, 07:57:40 am »
I think he deserves a start in either or both of the next couple games... rhys looks good in Europe.. nat can do physical prem work
walk on...walk on...

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #298 on: January 29, 2021, 08:21:27 am »
I don't think anyone is suggesting that he is, just that we have someone capable of stepping in when needed.

He's an emergency option, basically. He's not good on the ball, can be a bit rash and lacks any pace or experience - that makes him very limited in our side. But he'll come in and give his all and win his aerial battles. We just can't afford him (or Williams) in there for a bunch of games.

I'd imagine he'll get the nod if needed at West Ham who he played well against at Anfield.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #299 on: January 29, 2021, 08:48:40 am »
Honestly don't think he's as slow as every one makes out.

Everyone watched Phillips and Williams play a game each then came to the conclusion we play Phillips when we don't need the recovery pace. I have no idea how everyone reached this conclusion.

I'm not saying he's fast but Williams is not any faster, he's been done easily for pace in multiple games.
:D

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #300 on: January 29, 2021, 08:52:43 am »
He is slow, you only have to watch highlights of the game at Newcastle to see how easily he can be exposed. However, he can certainly do a job in a lot of the games this season i think. If we are to sign an experienced CB (Mustafi) I would have Phillips and new CB start against teams like Brighton, sheff United, Palace meaning we have Fabinho rested or in midfield. Then go back to Fabinho and new CB for the big games

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: January 29, 2021, 08:54:01 am »
I think the big issue for us is that whomever we play at CB we will probably be fielding a CM (Hendo or Fab) at CB. Whilst Fab and Hendo have filled in admirably, particularly Fab, I think they both do much better with a proper CB beside them. In contrast, with Rhys or Nat beside them, I think they'll look even worse because they are probably taking some cues from who they are playing with and if it is an inexperienced CB then the coordination of our line, offside trap, positioning and marking and general awareness is probably going to be a bit average.

No offence to Rhys or Nat but they aren't at the level needed to just come into the team straight away and fill in when we're chasing top 4 and hopefully a title tilt in such a competitive league. Not saying that Rhys or Nat will never be good enough, but it's a bit too soon. They needed a more gradual introduction rather than just thrown in at the deep end.

I think we probably have to reevaluate our position on not brigingin in a CB. Are we really confident that we can't get in someone better than both Nat and Rhys? We don't have a lot of time either, so I imagine they'll be desperately trying to come up with a solution.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 08:55:58 am by mrantarctica »

Offline lukeb1981

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: January 29, 2021, 09:55:12 am »
Fair play to the lad , he came in last night and did his job . That first tackle though  ;D . Cleaned the man out and left him in a heap  ;D

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #303 on: January 29, 2021, 09:57:47 am »
Fair play to the lad , he came in last night and did his job . That first tackle though  ;D . Cleaned the man out and left him in a heap  ;D

Don't go near the youngster, he'll break your legs!!!!

Dude, he's 42!

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #304 on: January 29, 2021, 10:01:04 am »
Apart from that 1st robust tackle I thought Phillips did quite well last night. Won his headers and tackles when required. Think we played a little bit deeper and that helped him.

I do wonder whether teams will target him if he plays more. They'll target the RHS channel between him and Trent when attacking but I think they may target him another way also. He's obviously the least comfortable player on the ball when he plays. As a team we like to play it around the back and I wonder if teams will almost let us pass to Phillips before creating pressure. This would be in hope of a quick turnover of possession, either high up the pitch or through Phillips having to go long (and probably be less accurate). I wonder how much playing Phillips means the No.6 has to do something slightly different to compensate for his lesser ability on the ball.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline dutchkop

• has an issue with his phlemish phalange (bunch of jackals, leave him alone).
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #305 on: January 29, 2021, 10:08:42 am »
how will we handle Antonio at West Ham on Sunday?  - hopefully Nat can do the same

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #306 on: January 29, 2021, 10:10:50 am »
how will we handle Antonio at West Ham on Sunday?  - hopefully Nat can do the same

He’s got more strength than Williams to battle him. Hasn’t got the pace but none of our options have really, except Hendo on the cover. I’d be more worried by someone like Benhrama running at him but then it’s up to the midfield to protect him there.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #307 on: January 29, 2021, 10:24:58 am »

Antonio seems to turn into Van Basten when playing us.

After the result last night I think West Ham will be parking that bus so maybe not much defending to do.

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #308 on: January 29, 2021, 10:46:22 am »
Apart from that 1st robust tackle I thought Phillips did quite well last night. Won his headers and tackles when required. Think we played a little bit deeper and that helped him.

I do wonder whether teams will target him if he plays more. They'll target the RHS channel between him and Trent when attacking but I think they may target him another way also. He's obviously the least comfortable player on the ball when he plays. As a team we like to play it around the back and I wonder if teams will almost let us pass to Phillips before creating pressure. This would be in hope of a quick turnover of possession, either high up the pitch or through Phillips having to go long (and probably be less accurate). I wonder how much playing Phillips means the No.6 has to do something slightly different to compensate for his lesser ability on the ball.
I agree with your thoughts.
And a thing that does concern me is that our current no.6 (Thiago) is a great player, but he's not savvy enough when tackling in this league. Meaning, he's not a bad tackler, but his tackling is slightly old school and would have passed a few years ago, or in different leagues, but in the here and now you're more likely to get booked for some of his tackles. And he has been booked.
The last thing we want is for Thiago to get sent off and miss a few games. We're short-staffed as it is. And losing a DM would impact the makeshift defence.

In short, we need to re-sign Agger and play him as the DM we all used to rave about.
He's decent on the ball. Can play out from the back. And has a hell of a shot on him.
Plus some funky tats.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #309 on: January 29, 2021, 11:33:19 am »
He put in an excellent performance in the second half. Invaluable experience he is getting right now.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #310 on: January 29, 2021, 11:50:03 am »
Firstly I thought he was solid last night apart from that 'reducer' he put in on the Spurs player  ;D

He's not the quickest as some have said, but neither is Rhys. He's just a good old fashioned no nonsense stopper - good in the air and prepared to launch it when necessary

For that reason I don't think the high line we are used to with Virgil and Joe is currently a viable option, for me we need to drop off 2/3 yards and accept we cant squeeze play as much as we'd like...

I think the club are looking at CB loan options, but don't seem to view any of the alternatives good enough to come in. This may now be exacerbated with the injury to Joel and possibly Fab?

I'm sure the coaching staff are working their 'nads off to find a solution and I have confidence that the calibre we have we'll do that.
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #311 on: January 29, 2021, 12:11:14 pm »
Firstly I thought he was solid last night apart from that 'reducer' he put in on the Spurs player  ;D

He's not the quickest as some have said, but neither is Rhys. He's just a good old fashioned no nonsense stopper - good in the air and prepared to launch it when necessary

For that reason I don't think the high line we are used to with Virgil and Joe is currently a viable option, for me we need to drop off 2/3 yards and accept we cant squeeze play as much as we'd like...

I think the club are looking at CB loan options, but don't seem to view any of the alternatives good enough to come in. This may now be exacerbated with the injury to Joel and possibly Fab?

I'm sure the coaching staff are working their 'nads off to find a solution and I have confidence that the calibre we have we'll do that.
Agreed,
He's basically the reincarnation of Carra.

Some will be happy.

Let's just hope he doesn't go into punditry when he retires.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: January 29, 2021, 12:11:31 pm »
Now our first choice center back.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #313 on: January 29, 2021, 12:21:54 pm »
In amongst the debate, it has to be said that all supporters should be proud of Nat. His attitude is top notch and we’d have been stuffed if we didn’t have a man like him to step in. He’s been a steady and calming influence. I think he’s got a really bright future in the Premier League
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #314 on: January 29, 2021, 12:28:37 pm »
Big Nat to deal with Soucek on Sunday.

They be trying to find his head on set pieces for sure

Offline Ratboy3G

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #315 on: January 29, 2021, 12:36:54 pm »
In amongst the debate, it has to be said that all supporters should be proud of Nat. His attitude is top notch and we’d have been stuffed if we didn’t have a man like him to step in. He’s been a steady and calming influence. I think he’s got a really bright future in the Premier League

Same here mate, his game may be limited but some of the stuff being said about him being championship level at best and having a nightmare against Newcastle are pure hyperbole.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: January 29, 2021, 12:50:39 pm »

Absolutely. He's Sean Dyche's wet dream CB.

Now THERE'S an image.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #317 on: January 29, 2021, 12:53:00 pm »

The thing is even the teams that play deep against the top sides need to be able to come out and play against the sides around them. Look at Burnley they play deep against the top sides but Mee and Tarkowski aren't big centre backs. They are both just over 6 foot. Phillips is a much bigger man.

A lot of sides press when they play teams around them so giant centre backs who aren't mobile are a dying breed.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline oldman

• Anny Roader
« Reply #318 on: January 29, 2021, 01:04:31 pm »
surprised man utd are not interested in him as hes an upgrade on Maguire

Offline SteveLFC

• Kopite
« Reply #319 on: January 29, 2021, 02:16:33 pm »
A good old fashioned centre back. In my opinion, this is exactly what we need right now. What he may or may not lack in pace, it is so refreshing to see our CB win challenges in the box and not get brushed off. I don't care if the ball hits row Z more than when VVD or Gomez are playing, it will more than do us for now.

He needs to build up a partnership with a hopefully fit Matip or Fab. Give him some game time and get Hendo back to the number 6 role.