Author Topic: FA Cup draw  (Read 57374 times)

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: FA Cup draw
« Reply #680 on: February 7, 2020, 09:46:34 am »
Probably pushing Lallana back into midfield in the place of Jones.

I would have thought Jones, alongside Williams will be the youth players who retain their place. Be a bit shit to drop him to the bench after him scoring the winner in the Everton game, leading the lads against Shrewsbury, then getting binned off for Lallana. That would be extremely harsh IMO.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #681 on: February 7, 2020, 09:52:31 am »
Even though we have a 22 point lead with 13 games left the title isn't sewn up yet, until it's confirmed in gold we should still be concentrating on the league, then Champions League, we have the squad that we can rotate players, my feelings are concentrate on the next match first
#Sausages

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #682 on: February 7, 2020, 09:58:29 am »
I would have thought Jones, alongside Williams will be the youth players who retain their place. Be a bit shit to drop him to the bench after him scoring the winner in the Everton game, leading the lads against Shrewsbury, then getting binned off for Lallana. That would be extremely harsh IMO.

Lallana was brilliant against Everton though.

Klopp also has to manage the squad. In the main that means keeping those 20 odd senior players match fit and happy. In those parameters, it has meant that young players have been given a chance and done very well. The young players played because of injuries and the need to rest some of those 20 senior players. Not because they are better footballers. When a league game come round no young player would get near the bench if all of the senior players were fit.

The senior players are who, in the main, have got us to where we are. They are the players who will be absolutely critical to potentially getting us to where we want -PL, CL and FA Cup wins in that order.

All I'm saying is that the 'parameters' for picking the Shrewsbury teams and the Chelsea teams are very different. Where we are in the league, returning players from injury, the fact we've just had a winter break all factor into this. Klopp will pick the Chelsea team in context with who is available and the games either side. However, if he's given the choice between Lallana and Jones for the Chelsea game I'm fully expecting him to pick Lallana. He's currently the better player, the more experienced player and probably the more deserving over the context of what he has provided over the season.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #683 on: February 7, 2020, 10:50:48 am »
First of all, it does not have to be one or the other in terms of winning. We have a good first XI, we have a good supporting first team and we have a good set of reserves. We can play the first XI, be strong & we can play the rest of the first team in another game and be strong. But in terms of the lineup, it has to be one or the other as we cannot play the same first XI against both Watford and Chelsea.

Because, there is a gap of 2 days in between Watford and Chelsea (Sunday & Monday. We play against Watford on Saturday and against Chelsea on Tuesday). Do you honestly want to see Mane, Salah & Firmino, Van Dijk and the likes playing twice in 3 days?

Also, Watford are not a garbage side despite their position in the table. They are underperforming this season and on the day, PL clubs can beat each other. Klopp will never be as complacent as you are towards a PL game, I'm pretty sure of it based on his lineups in the PL during his tenure here. He may rotate a bit, and I trust him to put out lineups in both games that are good enough to win both games. All I'm saying is he won't look to overplay his players and his preference will be slightly towards the PL game.

Fair enough. It's just that you said he that wouldn't sacrifice points against Watford by putting out a 'strong' side at Chelsea a few days later (wouldn't it be the other way around anyway since we play Watford first?), but I suppose it depends on what a strong side means to you. We might have some arguments about what constitutes a 'strong' side, but I don't think we'll see anything near what we saw against Everton and Shrewsbury (x2) at Stamford Bridge. We'll definitely see some rotation, but I personally think it'll be some of Origi/Shaqiri/Lallana/Jones/Matip/Lovren etc depending on fitness coming in for some of the regulars that will probably start against Watford.

As for Watford, the season is already in mid-February and they find themselves in the drop zone having reverted back to type after a few decent results after getting Pearson in. They're not underperforming, they're shit and deserve to be exactly where they are. I've never been complacent before any game if you read my pre-match posts, and I've no doubt that our manager won't be as well. Plus we'll have a perfect opportunity to rotate in our next league game against Bournemouth as well so there's no reason that putting out a strong side against Chelsea should affect us that much in both our league games before and after that.

Offline incredibleL4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #684 on: February 7, 2020, 11:03:23 am »
I'd like to see a team like:

Adrian

Williams - Lovren - Gomez - Robertson

Keita - Chirivella - Jones

Shaqiri - Minamino - Mane

The best players in previous rounds keep their place on merit and the rest of the squad made up of a few regulars to provide the quality and assurance and a few fringe and those back from injury to get game time.

Thought Gomez was very good against Everton, would love to see if he could step into the Van Dijk role with Robertson and Lovren/Matip either side of him.
Assuming everyone if fit and available -
League          FA Cup
Becker          Adrian
TAA              Williams
Gomez          Lovern
VVD              Matip
Robbo           Milner
Fab               Kieta
Hendo           Jones
Win              Ox
Mane            Llalananana
Salah           Minamino
Firmino        Origi

I note that Shaq does not even get a place!

Offline Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #685 on: February 7, 2020, 11:06:59 am »
At this moment I'd say out of the youths the only dead cert to start either the Chelsea game or surrounding ones is Neco, by virtue of his performances and the pathway to the first team less competitive.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #686 on: February 7, 2020, 11:17:57 am »
At this moment I'd say out of the youths the only dead cert to start either the Chelsea game or surrounding ones is Neco, by virtue of his performances and the pathway to the first team less competitive.

I'd say Curtis Jones is the other dead cert. This feels like 'his' competition this season; dropping him could disillusion him.

Keita on the other hand hasn't played a minute in the FA Cup. Think he'll start against Bournemouth instead. They're a side he's always performed very well against.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #687 on: February 7, 2020, 11:20:22 am »
We need to take the Chelsea game a bit more seriously and if possible judge what type of team they are putting out. I don't want the Under 19's getting whacked 5 or 6 by a full strength Chelsea 11.

Also, by the time this game happens the league might mathmatically be over. The FA Cup might be a good way to keep the senior players focused. I would still give Adrian his game and also Matip and Lovren assuming we have no injuries to any CBs before then. Williams for TAA and Milner for Robbo are the other, to me, sensible changes. I think Fabinho and Keita will both be back to full fitness by then so if anything we need the games to keep all our midfielders in rhythm. Also think Jones has progressed to the point where he nearly has to play otherwise would regard it as a slap in the face.

Adrian

Williams   Matip    Lovren    Milner

Lallana     Fabinho     Jones

Shaqiri      Origi      Minimino

Offline Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #688 on: February 7, 2020, 11:23:16 am »
I'd say Curtis Jones is the other dead cert. This feels like 'his' competition this season; dropping him could disillusion him.

Keita on the other hand hasn't played a minute in the FA Cup. Think he'll start against Bournemouth instead. They're a side he's always performed very well against.

True that. Jones and the domestic cups have a talismanic feel about it, maybe Chirivella too.

Offline VVM

• Kopite
  • OVER AN HOUR LEFT ESTIMATED TIME
« Reply #689 on: February 7, 2020, 12:00:56 pm »
Why doesn't Lallana play based on merit? He was arguably MoM versus Everton and didn't start against Shrewsbury due to a decision out of his hand.

Also why wouldn't you play Milner? Experienced pro who stayed behind, trained with youngster and provided dressing room support

Tell me how Klopp is explaining to Lallana and Milner they aren't playing in the FA Cup tie away to Chelsea because they the young players deserve it ahead of them on 'merit'.

Yeah that works too.

Maybe Jones left wing, Mane right wing and Lallana instead of shaq, but in midfield. Potentially Milner at left back as I'd like to see Chirivella given another chance in midfield, I think he's earned it but I'd understand if Lallana played the holding role instead and we had a midfield 3 of Keita Lallana and Milner.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #690 on: February 7, 2020, 12:45:07 pm »
Yeah that works too.

Maybe Jones left wing, Mane right wing and Lallana instead of shaq, but in midfield. Potentially Milner at left back as I'd like to see Chirivella given another chance in midfield, I think he's earned it but I'd understand if Lallana played the holding role instead and we had a midfield 3 of Keita Lallana and Milner.

There's no right or wrong answer. But it won't be that easy for Klopp to lash in loads of young lads against Chelsea. Not all about result either. There will be senior squad players who will expect to start, even if we go full strength against Watford and Bournemouth. Klopp needs to manage that whilst not killing all the young lads confidence. He also needs to balance that with putting out a team that can win the tie.

I'd personally rather we go strong in the FA Cup an look to rotate in the league games around it. Mainly because I'd rather we try to win the FA Cup and CL rather than break records in the league (either unbeaten or +100 points). For me, trying to win trophies will always trump trying to break records. Personally I would say an FA Cup and PL double would eclipse getting 100 points but not winning another trophy. I'd snap your hand off for a PL, CL and FA Cup treble if it meant us 'only' getting 95 points this season and losing a couple of games on the way.

We might be able to do everything. This team has done things beyond our imagination so far over the past 18 months. However, I do think it may be difficult to keep the continued intensity once the league is won and if we still have the CL and the FA Cup to go for.
« Last Edit: February 7, 2020, 12:46:52 pm by Jookie »
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #691 on: February 7, 2020, 01:11:17 pm »
Agreed. Yes, that's what I meant. If he puts out his first XI against Watford, which I think he will barring a few rotations, I don't think he will play the same XI against Chelsea 3 days later. There will be plenty of other players in picture. Of course, we can rotate even more against Bournemouth.

The problem seems to be two games in Saturday (Watford) and Tuesday (Chelsea), which is why I don't think we will go full strength/first XI in both games as some people want us to. Based on Klopp's choices so far, he is more likely to go first XI in the PL game than the FA Cup game imo. A mix of youngsters (Williams, Chirivella, Jones) along with others like Adrian, Matip, Lovren, Milner, Keita, Origi, Minamino and the likes gives us a good chance against Chelsea as well.

I agree with you that we likely won't go full strength on both - but for me that is based on previous FA Cup selections rather than the rest time.

It's the exact same rest time between Watford and Chelsea as it is between Norwich and Atletico (save 15 minutes) and you would imagine we will go full strength in both of the latter.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #692 on: February 7, 2020, 01:41:43 pm »
I agree with you that we likely won't go full strength on both - but for me that is based on previous FA Cup selections rather than the rest time.

It's the exact same rest time between Watford and Chelsea as it is between Norwich and Atletico (save 15 minutes) and you would imagine we will go full strength in both of the latter.
Reckon he doesn't start Mane against Norwich and if things go well he takes off Firmino, Salah, Henderson, Wijnaldum (3 of 4 obvs) earlier than the usual 70 min mark. 

Mane back in from start against Atletico.

Offline VVM

• Kopite
  • OVER AN HOUR LEFT ESTIMATED TIME
« Reply #693 on: February 7, 2020, 02:09:38 pm »
Reckon he doesn't start Mane against Norwich and if things go well he takes off Firmino, Salah, Henderson, Wijnaldum (3 of 4 obvs) earlier than the usual 70 min mark. 

Mane back in from start against Atletico.

Imagine Mane would benefit with a bit of game time before Atletico. Can see him probably playing around 60 mins against Norwich or maybe come off the bench if Klopp wants to be cautious. I got the impression he probably could have played against Southampton if absolutely necessary but our strength in depth meant he didn't need to be risked so soon.

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #694 on: February 7, 2020, 03:00:18 pm »

I’m happy with a blend of bench and kids for the Cup. Certainly Curtis, Neco and possibly Chirivella. Whatever Klopp decides is good for me. He will be desperate for us to defend the CL and it’s a busy period of games.

Once the league is all but wrapped I’d expect to see Curtis and Neco get a few starts in the league. Curtis is a great option to slot into the front 3 and give Mo and Sadio the odd rest.

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #695 on: February 7, 2020, 03:43:02 pm »
However, I do think it may be difficult to keep the continued intensity once the league is won and if we still have the CL and the FA Cup to go for.

Really? This team? This exceptionally well drilled and almost supernaturally focused team?

Offline aussie_ox

• Main Stander
  • LFC Blood Red all the way
« Reply #696 on: February 7, 2020, 10:33:24 pm »
For me Curtis Jones & Neco Willians are a must.  Curtis takes Lallanas place in the squad next season & Williams becomes backup for TAA.  Makes complete sense for us.
Klopp that!

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #697 on: February 7, 2020, 11:31:14 pm »
Think he might have reflected a bit over a few steins of bier on his break.   League in the bag, 2 trophies to play for.  No idea what sort of crowds attend German cup games but I am sure they don’t get 50000 to watch the kids play a lower league side.  Think he might have got the message.

If we have a hiccup against Atletico and bag the league I'm sure he'll change his tune
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #698 on: February 7, 2020, 11:45:00 pm »
I                   II                  III                      IV
Becker          Adrian           Kelleher              Lonergen
TAA              Williams         Hoever               Clyne
Gomez          Lovern           Van Den Berg     Gallacher
VVD              Matip             Phillips              Boyes
Robbo           Milner            Larouci               Lewis
Fab               Kieta              Jones                 Cain
Hendo           Shaqiri           Chivrella            Clarkson
Win               Ox                 Grujic                Dixon Bonner
Mane            Llalananana     Brewster            Elliot
Salah            Minamino        Wilson               Millar
Firmino         Origi               Woodburn          Kane

I know some of these players are on loan/unlikely to come back etc but how rich are we in terms of talent, all these players have played first team football
« Last Edit: February 7, 2020, 11:46:50 pm by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #699 on: February 11, 2020, 04:04:02 pm »
Support the team,Trust & Believe.