Author Topic: Fernando Torres  (Read 588367 times)

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Fernando Torres
« Reply #7400 on: June 21, 2019, 02:47:24 pm »
Well Coutinho isn't a forward.
Got it in one!

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #7401 on: June 21, 2019, 02:47:46 pm »

all that aside we were definitely in Vidic's head and a lot was down to Torres

Wasnt all because of him (and indeed for most Torres wasnt even on the pitch) but the guy had 4 red cards against us

we did make him look foolish
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Online Cu Chulainn

• "It's Peanut Butter Fascist Time!" (thinkaboutit). greedy, stupid, selfish capitalist pig who hates the poor and wants to euthanise the disabled.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7402 on: June 21, 2019, 03:10:18 pm »
Spot the odd one out
Sturridge winning the Champions League for two different clubs.  :P

Well Coutinho isn't a forward.
Well, he isn't exactly a midfielder either, but okay, we'll call him an attacker instead. Pedant! :D

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7403 on: June 21, 2019, 03:32:12 pm »
all that aside we were definitely in Vidic's head and a lot was down to Torres

Wasnt all because of him (and indeed for most Torres wasnt even on the pitch) but the guy had 4 red cards against us

we did make him look foolish

Spot on mate. S is being daft.

The red cards were nothing to do with Torres, just self destruction. Yeah, ok! Exclude those to suit this random agenda S

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7404 on: June 21, 2019, 03:47:51 pm »

Well, he isn't exactly a midfielder either, but okay, we'll call him an attacker instead. Pedant! :D

He's not extraordinary either - as Barcelona have found out. ;D

Wasn't all his fault, given we had G&H at the time, oh and fucking Hodgson as well.  But his attempts at justifying himself since have been positively cringeworthy.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #7405 on: June 21, 2019, 04:08:34 pm »
I don't have any hard feelings against him to be honest, the club was such a mess at the time. When he was hot for us he was one of our most exciting strikers, it was quite sad to see the way he declined. I wonder if he will stay in football or if he has something else planned?
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #7406 on: June 21, 2019, 04:10:22 pm »
I don't have any hard feelings against him to be honest, the club was such a mess at the time. When he was hot for us he was one of our most exciting strikers, it was quite sad to see the way he declined. I wonder if he will stay in football or if he has something else planned?

Why is it always written out of pro-Torres history that we'd had new owners for three months when he left?

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #7407 on: June 21, 2019, 04:12:51 pm »
Why is it always written out of pro-Torres history that we'd had new owners for three months when he left?

The disappointment was, the new owners & most management staff were willing to let him go, & didn't fight to keep him, i'm sure Torres would have stayed if he felt wanted.
#Sausages

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7408 on: June 21, 2019, 04:17:38 pm »
The disappointment was, the new owners & most management staff were willing to let him go, & didn't fight to keep him, i'm sure Torres would have stayed if he felt wanted.

Maybe. That's certainly how he has since spun things. But he seemed pretty gleeful about leaving for such a 'top level club' at the time.

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7409 on: June 21, 2019, 04:22:35 pm »
Maybe. That's certainly how he has since spun things. But he seemed pretty gleeful about leaving for such a 'top level club' at the time.

I'm not so sure he's telling the truth.

You can still google his first interview with Chelsea when he joined them.

He makes it perfectly clear he's joining them because there's no one better than them, and he wants to fulfill his football ambitions and they can help him do it.

I simply think he moved because he saw a better opportunity to win trophies, and probably get more money for it.

No problem with that really.  Just tell it as it is.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7410 on: June 21, 2019, 04:24:42 pm »
I'm not so sure he's telling the truth.

You can still google his first interview with Chelsea when he joined them.

He makes it perfectly clear he's joining them because there's no one better than them, and he wants to fulfill his football ambitions and they can help him do it.

I simply think he moved because he saw a better opportunity to win trophies, and probably get more money for it.

No problem with that really.  Just tell it as it is.

Yep. My position exactly. I've no issues with his decision now. But the way people have lapped up his revisionist and biased public statements since it all went stale for him is baffling.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7411 on: June 21, 2019, 04:32:00 pm »

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #7412 on: June 21, 2019, 07:00:35 pm »
What a player at his peak with us, gave me so many great memories and his partnership with Stevie was a thing of beauty. I don't resent him anymore, I understand his reasons for leaving and I believe his version over that of Purslow. Time heals all wounds and I choose to remember the goals v Blackburn, Man It's and Chelsea over the bitterness of his leaving.

Hope his retirement years are filled with joy, and maybe one day he'll be up in the stands supporting the players.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #7413 on: June 21, 2019, 07:05:00 pm »
It was pretty awesome when Dagger fucking floored him in his rentboy debut
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #7414 on: June 21, 2019, 07:14:44 pm »
Good luck to Fernando in whatever he does next - I wonder if he will consider coaching?

What a player. That speed, strength and ruthless finishing is such a rare and deadly combination. I always had complete faith that whenever he was one-on-one with the goalkeeper, it was a goal, but what I'll remember the most is the goals he scored that he had absolutely no right to, like that volley against Blackburn or that bending shot against Chelsea... and the time he barged past Vidic like he was nothing. ;D He could do pretty much anything. I bet Jurgen would absolutely love him.

Amazing player and he'll always be a Red in my book. Said a page or so back, for fans of my age, he is the first great #9 we've ever watched. We've been blessed with some extraordinary forwards since - Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho, Mane, Salah, Bobby, Ings - but it's very hard to beat a peak Nando. Legendary Liverpool #9! :scarf

With all due respect, but  :o In that company?

Also, Coutinho was definitely not a forward, but nevermind. But Ings over Kuyt is... interesting.
Linudden.

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #7415 on: June 21, 2019, 07:57:18 pm »

'Fernando Torres goals 2007-2010 - English Commentary':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/jea9_JPbFr0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/jea9_JPbFr0</a>

Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Online Cu Chulainn

• "It's Peanut Butter Fascist Time!" (thinkaboutit). greedy, stupid, selfish capitalist pig who hates the poor and wants to euthanise the disabled.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7416 on: June 21, 2019, 08:10:41 pm »
With all due respect, but  :o In that company?

Also, Coutinho was definitely not a forward, but nevermind. But Ings over Kuyt is... interesting.
First time ever, I've caught one!  :D

Offline Moos

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7417 on: June 21, 2019, 08:55:24 pm »
I loved him when he played for us. The fact that he left us voor Chelsea hurt at the time, but we got Suarez in return and Torres hadn't been anywhere near his top form in his final half season. Seeing him struggle at Chelsea was just proof that letting him go was the right choice.

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7418 on: June 21, 2019, 09:33:29 pm »
We have been blessed with some magnificent centre forwards over the years from Sir Roger to Rushie and Suarez, but for me Torres was the most complete. He could everything and it was great to take my seat during his pomp knowing that I was about to watch the best centre forward in the world. The Blackburn goal alone cemented his status and yes it ended badly, but in terms of footballing ability he deserves to be remembered fondly.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7419 on: June 21, 2019, 09:40:15 pm »
Loved his first goal for us, at home against Chelsea. We knew he had the potential to be a great player when we signed him, but there were plenty of doubts as to whether he was going to be a prolific goalscorer, or a goalscorer at all in the Premier League. That was all banished with one drop of the shoulder and a finish across the goalkeeper.

Just a shame the outcome of that game was ruined by one of the worst refereeing decisions I've ever seen.

Rob Styles wasn't it? Giving a penalty for Malouda jumping into Finnan? No I'm not bitter about it :P

Was gutted when he left for Chelsea, things were starting to look up, what with H&G getting ousted and then Hodgson getting the boot. Whilst Rafa clearly got the best out of him, I don't think he was all that poor for us in his final half season either, we were under Hodgson and he still scored a few and he looked a lot better once Kenny took over. Can understand it from his point of view I suppose and he did go on to win the trophies he left his boyhood club for in the first place and we did get £50m for him. Mainly though, he seems to regret leaving us despite the trophies and it feels like he knows he made an error, given how loved he was here.

Still, prefer to to think of the good times, we were one of the best sides in Europe the few year he was here and he gave us some great memories, the aforementioned terrorising of Vidic was great as was his goal in the Champions League against Arsenal in his first season - got to say that little shimmy against Newcastle taking the keeper out before finishing is my favourite. Don't know why, it was a comfortable victory in the league but it was a genius bit of play and was him at his best - he was awesome for those few years he was here.

Thanks for the memories :wave
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7420 on: June 21, 2019, 09:45:23 pm »

and he had roy hodgson as manager for how long ?
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7421 on: June 21, 2019, 09:49:35 pm »
We got 50 million pound for him after playing him through injuries, and the club was in turmoil.. torres is a villain..

carragher put the knife in benitez and got a fat contract when he clearly wasnt good enough - carragher is a hero..

beats me
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #7422 on: June 21, 2019, 09:51:21 pm »
It was pretty awesome when Dagger fucking floored him in his rentboy debut
Welcome to Anfield  ;D
He was brilliant for us and I loved him being here  :thumbup
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7423 on: June 21, 2019, 11:06:59 pm »
The goal where he dummies the newcastke keepeer, I'm assuming its given, is still one of my all time favourite goals. I saw pele try and do it on some vhs compilation and always wanted to see someone succeed.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #7424 on: June 21, 2019, 11:17:00 pm »
One of the best players that I have seen play for us. As a CF he was incredible.
#JFT97

Online Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7425 on: June 22, 2019, 05:27:48 am »
Thanks for the memories :scarf
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #7426 on: June 22, 2019, 06:02:52 am »
Welcome to Anfield  ;D
He was brilliant for us and I loved him being here  :thumbup

Was at Stamford Bridge, no?
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Online markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #7427 on: June 22, 2019, 12:03:54 pm »
Was at Stamford Bridge, no?
He was so crocked when they paid over the odds without a medical. Half a season in for them, I had no problem at all with him going. He scored 65 league goals for us, was with them a year more and scored 20 league goals in total over the longer period. Good lad.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7428 on: June 22, 2019, 02:53:32 pm »
He was the player i adored. at a time when we look to be on the up.

The goals. oh the goals.

The one vs chelsea on his debut proved he is going to be somebody special.

The ones vs Man united. The look on Vidic's face that predates the Phil Jones meme.

The swivel and turn vs Inter.

The scorcher of a volley vs Blackburn.

The one where Madrid fans were "singing" about him and him just destroying Casillas single handedly like a man truly possessed.

and then he left. FUCK.

truly heartbreaking. I do think he needs to be loved by fans for him to be showing his best.

Agger truly broke him with that smash back on his first game vs us.

Deep inside he knows he made the wrong decision. The trophies are nice but truly any emotion attached to it if he won it with us.

Still one of my favourite forwards when in top form. The goals he scored were truly sensational.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7429 on: June 22, 2019, 03:38:25 pm »
His debut goal against Chelsea was fantastic. His goal against Arsenal in CL and against Inter at San Siro are probably my favorite ones

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7430 on: June 22, 2019, 04:56:56 pm »
For a second there I thought he was better than brown bread but like most things in modern football he was gone before we could even think he might be a hint of a legend here. We have three attackers who currently may best Torres overall tally for the club by the end of next season (Salah will def do that) so that tells you everything. The club has been blessed with some amazing talent and Torres for a season or two was one of those. Best of luck on your next adventure.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline rojo para la vida

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #7431 on: June 23, 2019, 11:14:27 am »
It's a strong word but I hated him when he left us. I really felt like you'd got to the stage of a relationship where you're prepared to ask the question and spend the rest of your life with that person. But Fernando didn't arrive at the altar.

Remember that Nike advert before the 2008 Euros when he looked like he'd found his second home? That made it all the more hurtful when he left and the more sensible ones amongst us always lecture, never fall in love with a player but the majority of us do.

I forgave him when he came back to Anfield for the charity match but I was still left thinking wrongly, what could he have done for us if he'd remained? Inwardly I knew that we'd had the best years of a top, top player and Chelsea bought a player on the decline.

Along with all those many on field memories, I remember ending up in The Park before a game, when he was at the peak of his powers and his song was given a rendition which battered the building. The joists under the floor bounced like a trampoline and we felt that we were going to do big things. Fantastic memories.

Offline Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7432 on: June 23, 2019, 10:07:32 pm »
Amazing player and he'll always be a Red in my book. Said a page or so back, for fans of my age, he is the first great #9 we've ever watched. We've been blessed with some extraordinary forwards since - Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho, Mane, Salah, Bobby, Ings, Origi - but it's very hard to beat a peak Nando. Legendary Liverpool #9!

Fixed

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
« Reply #7433 on: June 24, 2019, 06:37:12 am »
I think Torres' version of the story makes a lot of sense given that there's a logical chain of events that led to him feeling dissatisfied:

Club in severe financial distress;
Knee injury on the eve of the World Cup from which he rushes back too early;
Benitez sacked;
Hodgson appointed;
Purslow lying about players not being sold;
H&G forced out by the courts;
Commoli appointed by virtue of his friendship with Billy Beane;
FSG clueless about football;
Hodgson sacked and Kenny coming back.

The club wasn't a happy place and he probably was conflicted between loyalty and a desire for trophies. He owed FSG and Kenny nothing, and I am sure they were entitled to think he was past his prime, so it was a move that suited both parties.

Nonetheless, I find it easy to believe that Torres was overwhelmed once he realized the gravity of what he was trading in for trophies. Clearly he is an introspective, intelligent person who thrived on the communal feeling and working class pride in the city, and that must have hit him doubly hard when he saw first-hand how the other halves live down the King's Road. It was everything that he had rebelled against while he was growing up in Spain. His performances at Chelsea were those of a man riddled with doubt and regret.   

I have a lot of empathy for him and time has certainly healed a broken heart. 
'Ever bought a fake picture, Toby?'
'Sold a couple once.'
'The more you pay for it, the less inclined you are to doubt its authenticity.'

Online Cu Chulainn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7434 on: June 24, 2019, 09:37:17 am »
Torres, of course, spent three-and-a-half seasons with the Reds – scoring 81 goals in 142 appearances – and developed a prolific partnership with Gerrard, who operated just behind the Spaniard in a fine Rafael Benitez team.

Such was the connection between the two, Gerrard remains at the top of a stellar list of players Torres linked up with for club and country.

“I always say the best player I played with is Steven Gerrard,” he said. “I found he was the player who completed my game. I think my level got into a different dimension when I was on the pitch with him.

“It was an amazing three-and-a-half years playing alongside Steven and I would love to go back to those days – even for one minute.”
https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/announcements/354497-fernando-torres-steven-gerrard-retirement

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7435 on: June 24, 2019, 09:49:33 am »
and he had roy hodgson as manager for how long ?

4-5 months. Again, like H&G, he was gone by the time Torres left.

Offline The Test

• 6'3" tall, very strong but also pretty quick seeks soulmate with GSOH. Priority given to Mormons.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho's cousins mates tennis partner
« Reply #7436 on: June 24, 2019, 10:06:26 am »
We got 50 million pound for him after playing him through injuries, and the club was in turmoil.. torres is a villain..

carragher put the knife in benitez and got a fat contract when he clearly wasnt good enough - carragher is a hero..

beats me

This

Offline fredfrop

• 19*
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7437 on: June 24, 2019, 12:22:28 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chOraqERGUg

Doesn't even include any against Everton...

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #7438 on: June 24, 2019, 01:22:49 pm »
In his first 3 seasons with us, he averaged 0.84 non-penalty goals per 90'. That's incredible.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7439 on: June 25, 2019, 01:37:06 pm »
4-5 months. Again, like H&G, he was gone by the time Torres left.

This is the issue for me. H&G had gone and we had Kenny in charge, there was a sense of optimism, but we really needed everybody pulling in the same direction to drag us out of the shit. And Torres Fucked off...to Chelsea of all teams.

I have less of a problem with how Sterling left than Torres. Time has softened my anger towards Torres, he was fucking incredible for us and it's nice to remember the good times.