Author Topic: The Attack  (Read 394828 times)

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Attack
« Reply #4400 on: March 23, 2015, 04:59:24 pm »
Daniel Sturridge is an injury doubt for England's Euro 2016 qualifier with Lithuania on Friday.

The Liverpool striker, 25, is being assessed by medical staff for a hip injury.

Sturridge sustained the problem during Liverpool's 2-1 Premier League defeat by Manchester United on Sunday.

___

Just a knock hopefully

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #4401 on: March 23, 2015, 05:00:45 pm »
Fully expect him to be back for Arsenal. I hope they send him back so he has two weeks to work with Brendan.

Online Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4402 on: March 23, 2015, 05:05:39 pm »
I don't think we'll get Ings. I think we'll set our sights higher. Although we may have to lower them again if we are knocked back enough times.

And by that time, Ings is probably at Spurs.

So much talk of new signings, places we need to strengthen, and possible departures. Starting to look like a potential overhaul.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 05:11:37 pm by Clint Eastwood »

Offline Jinxsy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Ich bin ein Berliever
« Reply #4403 on: March 23, 2015, 05:11:22 pm »
Fully expect him to be back for Arsenal. I hope they send him back so he has two weeks to work with Brendan.

Not going to happen is it?
The whole squad and management seem to be on early Easter holidays this morning. Brendan off to Dubai? Gerrard in Portugal, Enrique in Abu Dhabi.
If Sturridge is sent back he'll likely get a quick bit of rehab in the sun before he get's time training for Arsenal.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4404 on: March 23, 2015, 05:16:01 pm »
And by that time, Ings is probably at Spurs.

So much talk of new signings, places we need to strengthen, and possible departures. Starting to look like a potential overhaul.

I can see a lot of outgoing (players who contribute little) and very few signings (no more than 4 imho). I think we will also see a few loanees return.

Online Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4405 on: March 23, 2015, 06:31:14 pm »
Coutinho? With him in mind do we need a new AM?

No use adding another attacking midfielder. Lallana, Sterling, Coutinho, Markovic, Ibe,... More than enough options, with potential to improve. We just need to look at our goals scored. Last season, SAS got 50+. This season, Sturridge, Balotelli, Borini and Lambert have 8 league goals with 8 games to go. Sterling, Coutinho, Markovic and Lallana have 16. What area to improve is obvious.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4406 on: March 23, 2015, 09:10:06 pm »
Sterling has hardly played a lot as wing back this season has he? Like twice and those where this week and last week. Even before he was shunted out wide his performance and attitude left a lot to be desired.

That's bollocks, he's played wing back in plenty of games, and what is this attitude problem that you talk of, he's not performed great in some games but I can't remember many times when I've thought he hasn't given 100% , which is the one of the reasons he was put upfront isn't it? For his effective pressing...  the only reason you mention his attitude is because he hasn't signed his contract.

Offline swordfishtrombone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4407 on: March 23, 2015, 10:18:30 pm »
Its about signing the right players. Its not like these 2 are super difficult to replace. Like i said, they aint Suarez.

Guess its all about opinions. Irreplaceable players are the likes of Mascherano, Suarez and Alonso. These 2 are not in the same league.

Obviously it's about signing the right players. It should also be pretty obvious that there's absolutely no guarantee that the players who sign will turn out to be the right players, or even if they are that they'll make an impact straight away. If it was really so easy to sign upgrades, then wouldn't all teams see continual improvement? Or if it is so easy for us to find an upgrade for Henderson, why would any other team want to buy him?

If it is really as easy as you say to flog players and sign better ones then things would be simple. Unfortunately it isn't, as years of watching teams buying players who don't work out must have shown you?

Online Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4408 on: March 23, 2015, 10:19:31 pm »
Sturridge withdraws from England squad due to injury.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4409 on: March 23, 2015, 10:20:35 pm »
Obviously it's about signing the right players. It should also be pretty obvious that there's absolutely no guarantee that the players who sign will turn out to be the right players, or even if they are that they'll make an impact straight away. If it was really so easy to sign upgrades, then wouldn't all teams see continual improvement? Or if it is so easy for us to find an upgrade for Henderson, why would any other team want to buy him?

If it is really as easy as you say to flog players and sign better ones then things would be simple. Unfortunately it isn't, as years of watching teams buying players who don't work out must have shown you?

Both players are being offered good deals but the point was if they decide to leave people shouldn't oanic and cry about it because they are not as good as they think they are.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4410 on: March 23, 2015, 10:20:55 pm »
Sturridge withdraws from England squad due to injury.

Same injury as before.

God knows how long he is out for now.

Online Caston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4411 on: March 23, 2015, 10:22:00 pm »
Same injury as before.

God knows how long he is out for now.

He injured his hip?

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4412 on: March 23, 2015, 10:25:28 pm »
He injured his hip?

Sky sport said same injury as before but that will be guess work.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #4413 on: March 23, 2015, 10:26:17 pm »
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online Caston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4414 on: March 23, 2015, 10:26:24 pm »
Sky sport said same injury as before but that will be guess work.

They're wrong then. It's a hip injury and doesnt look serious.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4415 on: March 23, 2015, 10:31:36 pm »
They're wrong then. It's a hip injury and doesnt look serious.

That's ok then mate.

Let's be honest with the Kane loving it was pointless Struddrige joining up with England anyway.

Offline swordfishtrombone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4416 on: March 23, 2015, 11:04:43 pm »
Both players are being offered good deals but the point was if they decide to leave people shouldn't oanic and cry about it because they are not as good as they think they are.

But you keep saying it over and over - that it's easy to replace players, either comparable players for less money or even upgrades. I think you're right - people shouldn't totally overreact if we lose a player or two, but at the same time there's absolutely no guarantee that you can go out and replace that player really easily, whoever he is. You would have thought that it would have been easy to replace a regularly injured Agger in the summer or to find an improvement on Borini (with two shots at it) but that hasn't really happened, at least not so far.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #4417 on: March 23, 2015, 11:11:05 pm »
I just hope that if we do replace Jordan Henderson, that we don't replace him with Tom Henderson.

Better looking than Samie.

Online Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4418 on: March 23, 2015, 11:30:48 pm »
It's interesting that Coutinho has taken up more and more of a leading role. I like that. I like how he's trying to make things happen. With Sturridge and Sterling, plus Lallana, we're gonna have competition for the front three roles.

But you keep saying it over and over - that it's easy to replace players, either comparable players for less money or even upgrades. I think you're right - people shouldn't totally overreact if we lose a player or two, but at the same time there's absolutely no guarantee that you can go out and replace that player really easily, whoever he is. You would have thought that it would have been easy to replace a regularly injured Agger in the summer or to find an improvement on Borini (with two shots at it) but that hasn't really happened, at least not so far.

If we stick to our attack, it's simple to improve. Honestly, we could lose Balotelli, Borini and Lambert and hardly notice the difference. That's what we need to remember. Some players, like for example Sterling, play a fairly big role for us. So it makes sense to keep hold of Sterling and offload Balotelli/Borini/Lambert. We can of course go try and find an equal replacement for Sterling, should we lose him, but the real issue - the other three mentioned- also needs to be solved.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline penga

• What you get if you cross Pingu with Jenga.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4419 on: March 24, 2015, 03:51:53 am »
No use adding another attacking midfielder. Lallana, Sterling, Coutinho, Markovic, Ibe,... More than enough options, with potential to improve. We just need to look at our goals scored. Last season, SAS got 50+. This season, Sturridge, Balotelli, Borini and Lambert have 8 league goals with 8 games to go. Sterling, Coutinho, Markovic and Lallana have 16. What area to improve is obvious.
Obviously getting another quality striker is a must. But I think it is getting more and more obvious that we needed someone who is hopefully more of a goal threat in those CAM/winger positions as an option. I'm talking about the likes of Depay, Felipe Anderson, Firmino - players who you can clearly see know how to attack space in behind and know where to position themselves, excellent on 1v1s and are confident in their shooting ability. This would mean perhaps loaning Markovic out and hope he starts showing some spark elsewhere because at the moment for Liverpool his 1v1 ability is non existent and you don't get the feeling he will contribute many goals (but to be fair he has played RWB a fair bit). Lallana has shown great skills, a joy to watch at times but he is not quite quick enough to be really damaging both with his pace and speed of ball movement and also doesn't take advantage of space in behind enough.

Offline penga

• What you get if you cross Pingu with Jenga.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4420 on: March 24, 2015, 04:47:54 am »
Looking at the attacking positions behind the striker with Sterling and Coutinho (who doesnt necessarily produce the best numbers) you can clearly see they both have more about them and you could watch them all day knowing they will also improve. There's a real aggression and confidence to take players on and beat them.

I know it's youtube videos (good old scout nation) but also look at the stats of Markovic in comparison with some other attackers who are similarly young and would cost a similar amount in fee. He can become a good player but I'm just not seeing what will make Markovic a really top class player in the future? I'm talking about reaching the levels of Hazard/Sanchez at the moment in the league for comparison. The ability to dominate games and decide a match with consistent good contributions throughout a single match and as they grow over multiple matches in a season, like how you can see Sterling and Coutinho did even as soon as they broke through the first team or joined.

Markovic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT6pXuQJFlk

So here what I can see in his highlights for a season is someone who had good speed and ability to run with the ball at speed with control. He is good in the game when there is counter attacks a broken play and looks to be a neat passer, finding the right options in these situations. There are a few good runs in behind which is encouraging. However what is missing is that there is nothing on his ability to dribble in tight areas, as well as what he can do against a low block/when the game is slowed down, there is nothing showing his ability with regards to shooting power. There is also very little of him beating players 1v1. He's young but his goals/assist return per game was not great in a team that is one of the dominant ones in a weaker league. So far in his time here he has shown even less of that despite some decent glimpses.

Now you compare to the following young players producing good numbers in stronger leagues:

Felipe Anderson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFxaE79gXz0

Memphis Depay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTfYhKCBLLI

Roberto Firmino
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er-GdWLW5F4

Now what I see there is more potential, more ability. Firstly they all seem physically stronger and just as fast so that could help their adaptation. Secondly there seems to be a real confidence in their shooting ability and power and that equals more goals, before mention positioning (looks at Lallana). They seem to have everything Markovic shows but more ability and confidence to run at tightly packed defences, twist and turn or go past their man from a standing start, not just when played into space. Markovic sort of just runs in straight lines and small direction changes like zig zagging through. Lallana should become a squad player unless he starts having more consistent impact on games and understands how to make through balls and run in behind to get himself on the end of chances. I'd continue Ibe in the wing back role and make him one of the back ups to the attacking roles.

Sterling and Coutinho don't always strike you as confident, natural and sharp shooters (even with Coutinho's recent wonder goals) so I definitely think there is room for one of these guys to improve the squad if we could make a play.

Edit one more point: All these players including Sterling/Coutinho/Lallana seem to have better ability to turn on the ball under pressure when it is played into them which allows them more opportunity to get at the defence.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 04:51:31 am by penga »

Offline iVapor

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4421 on: March 26, 2015, 02:59:23 pm »
Sturridge-Sterling
         Coutinho

Attack sorted.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4422 on: March 26, 2015, 04:57:49 pm »
Sturridge-Sterling
         Coutinho

Attack sorted.

Wingbacks?

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4423 on: March 26, 2015, 04:59:03 pm »
Wingbacks?

Moreno and Manquillo (or Ibe if he's fit)

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4424 on: March 26, 2015, 05:04:20 pm »
Moreno and Manquillo (or Ibe if he's fit)

I don't think Manquillo offers enough going forwards in a wing back position. With that said, I wish he had played there last Sunday.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4425 on: March 26, 2015, 05:04:56 pm »
Manquillo is our best defensive fullback, but it's hard to imagine Rodgers not choosing Johnson's experience over him if it came to it
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4426 on: March 26, 2015, 05:25:19 pm »
I don't think Manquillo offers enough going forwards in a wing back position. With that said, I wish he had played there last Sunday.

It doesn't matter whether he does or he doesn't. We still have him as a wingback. He's not so bad that we should be putting Sterling out there. The net result of both of them at wingback is the same. The net results of putting Sterling up front, as opposed to putting him wide and back, are vastly different though. Wingback is not such an important position that we should be putting our most mobile forward out there over someone who is a genuine fullback.

Offline NorthamptonKopite

• Non-
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #4427 on: March 26, 2015, 07:47:43 pm »
Anyone know if Coutinho is in the squad for the Brazil team tonight?

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4428 on: March 26, 2015, 09:30:03 pm »
Anyone know if Coutinho is in the squad for the Brazil team tonight?

He was certainly in the initially squad.

Offline Gerrard#1

• Playing goalie would combat his decreasing mobility, and vastly improve distribution at the back. Somebody's watching me.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4429 on: March 26, 2015, 10:38:28 pm »
Daniel Sturridge is an injury doubt for England's Euro 2016 qualifier with Lithuania on Friday.

The Liverpool striker, 25, is being assessed by medical staff for a hip injury.

Sturridge sustained the problem during Liverpool's 2-1 Premier League defeat by Manchester United on Sunday.

___

Just a knock hopefully

I see he's conveniently 'injured' for the international period.

Nice one Brendan. ;)
Quote from: jillc
If you ask Gerrard #1 he'll probably be able to tell us who we're getting. I hear he is good with the crystal ball.

Quote from: Gerrard#1
Coutinho is our best player he will be world class one day and will end up playing for Barca or Real.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4430 on: March 26, 2015, 10:39:08 pm »
According to the Mirror, he is out for a month.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Online Caston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4431 on: March 26, 2015, 10:40:18 pm »

:lmao wouldn't surprise me. He can't be trusted

Offline litliper

• Legacy Fan
  • Does anybody wanna buy a country?
« Reply #4432 on: March 26, 2015, 10:41:15 pm »

"My country is the world, and my religion to do good." (Thomas Paine)

Offline iVapor

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4433 on: March 26, 2015, 10:41:37 pm »
The terrible thing is, I'm just not even arsed or surprised anymore.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4434 on: March 26, 2015, 10:42:04 pm »

If he's out for a month, that's the bones of a whole season wasted without a suitable forward. Very worrying for the lad if he can't stay injury-free. If not, then he'll have to be replaced with someone more robust but with the same goalscoring talent. Hopefully the "month" is just paper talk though

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4435 on: March 26, 2015, 10:43:47 pm »
This week couldn't really have gone much worse
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4436 on: March 26, 2015, 10:44:03 pm »

Honestly not even that bothered this time. We need to buy a top striker in the summer
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Rouge

• Legacy Fan
  • Barnes to Molby!
« Reply #4437 on: March 26, 2015, 10:44:23 pm »
Lacazett....oh I cant be bothered to say his name anymore  :(

Online Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4438 on: March 26, 2015, 10:48:54 pm »

We need a reliable first team striker in the summer.

Honestly not even that bothered this time. We need to buy a top striker in the summer

I never even batted an eyelash when I read the news.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4439 on: March 26, 2015, 10:50:31 pm »
I'll wait for official confirmation with regards to Sturridge.