Author Topic: Valencia to Madrid to Liverpool by Moped: in aid of Ray Of Hope  (Read 4574 times)

Offline RAWK Editor

• RAWK Staff.
  • Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Valencia to Madrid to Liverpool by Moped: in aid of Ray Of Hope
« on: February 18, 2009, 12:00:41 pm »
Next Monday sees the launch of the Appeal Mobile and its first run which is in support of the Ray Of Hope Appeal.

http://appealmobile.blogspot.com/

The Appeal Mobile is a 50cc moped/mobike that was bought on E-Bay and is currently located in Valencia. It is intended to make the vehicle a focal point at Euro aways for specific LFC causes and charity appeals. By continuing to use the bike, which is already 20 years old, on these trips it is hoped to make the bike an historic vehicle that will increase in value and increase revenue for charitable causes when it is finally put to rest

I will be making the journey by moped from Valencia (or possibly Alicante depending on late changes to the arrangements) to Madrid for the first leg and then traveling on to Liverpool to arrive in time for the return leg. The route will take me through Valladolid, Bilbao, Bordeaux, Nantes, Cherbourg across to Portsmouth and up to Anfield.

There are a few ways you can be involved in helping Ray on this trip and with future appeals.

1 Sponsor the ride for Ray. Paypal and bank payment details for the Ray Of Hope Appeal below:

Paypal                rayofhopeappeal@hotmail.co.uk

Direct BankPay     HSBC 21817299 40-03-27

2 If you are going to Madrid, then donate all your small euro change at the airport on the way home. I'll be stationed at the metro exit after the game and the next day.

3 I drink in the Barlow Arms (the Dark House), Barlow Lane before and after the game. So if you are at the City Game pop in there and leave a donation with me or the staff. I will also be stationed outside the small club car park on Anny Road for half an hour before and after the game 50 yards up from the Shankly Gates opposite Lothair Road.

4 Alternatively see me in Madrid. You can't miss me flitting around like a wasp in a beer garden on me moped.

5 The final option is donating to own a share of the bike and become a member of the committee which designates the the recipients of each future Euro appeal trip. 25 Shares at 10 Euros are available which covers the outlay for the bike. For each future Euro Away the bike will be registered to the appeal chosen by the committee and monies raised donated to the LFC-related good cause in question. PM me for further info.

It is hoped in future to arrange in advance to collect memorabilia from European clubs en route to each European Away to auction for the appeal we're supporting.

Thanks everyone and see you in Madrid for sure!

Harry Trow

PS It is intended to keep the blog of the journey updated daily as I journey North - see website address above.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Valencia to Madrid to Liverpool by Moped: in aid of Ray Of Hope
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 10:15:53 am »
Seems to be getting overlooked in here Harry. But I'm sure the actual event will be more fruitful. I really take my hat off to you for this. How long is it going to take you to get home?
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline mobydick

• Comes in any flavour
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thatcherite refugee
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 08:28:20 pm »
Harry put up a Google route. I would be good to be able to see where you and your moped have been.

€ 20 from me on the paypal.

Get some photos too, even if you're not photogenic. ;D

Offline GH

• Main Stander
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
    • Valencia Property
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 10:18:24 pm »
To see the photo go to the http://appealmobile.blogspot.com/

OK so a long day today. This is Graham writing from Valencia after leaving Harry on a dodgy bike that doesn't like hills, not exactly true, it doesn't mind the downhill bits. So this is what happened today.

Harry got into Alicante on time and got an ALSA bus to Valencia. He eventually got here at 7pm so I picked him up at Valencia bus station and then we had to go for the big search to find a place to change some pounds into Euros. You would think this is rather easy but not so in Valencia so we had to go to central Valencia to get some cash. We have still not got a copy of the passport to make sure the bike can be put into Harry's name (Note to Harry - Send me a fax tomorrow from Madrid and I will scan it to Juanjo so he can go to the traffic dept on Wednesday.)

Anyway we then go to Picassent about 15km out from Valencia to pick up a motorbike that hasn't been used for about a year. Now there are a couple of tricks to this, one you need to start it up on a downslope because it needs to be moving and secondly it doesn't have a key so we needed a lock otherwise all of you wise guys reading this in Madrid might take it for a joyride.

So it is 50cc so not allowed on the motorways. Therefore we had to sort of invent the route from Picassent to get on the road to Madrid, the old one. It is at this point that we realise that the bike doesn't like hills too much. 20kph uphill and up to 60kph down, flying! Therefore at 9.30pm I left Harry with loads of good wishes and high hopes that the bike stands up to it.

Will the bike and Harry make it? If you are in Madrid for the match then search him out and donate. Remember he is doing this for the Ray Of Hope Charity
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 10:20:55 pm by GH »

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 11:09:45 am »
Will be in the Plaza Major from about 3:3o tomorrow. Harry knows me flag. I hope to see him there. Will be taking the cap round the lads
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline GH

• Main Stander
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
    • Valencia Property
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 10:06:06 am »
Latest News

This is a mail I received from Harry. I have only tidied it up a bit but I hope you like this and get the message.

Run down so far.

Got as far as 3 mile short of Alborache before Buņol?
Anyway had a blow out in the back wheel and pushed it up to Alborache. Slept on a bench for the night and had to hitch back to
Macastre.

God itīs all a blur now

Repairers couldnīt do anything so got a spray inflator and went back to Alborache to find the valve had ripped out. A guy called Vicente came to the rescue who gave me a lift further along to a garage who then came and got the bike.

Sadly 40 euros and missed the lunch break faffing about with banks. Got going at 5 and rode through the night except for a short 2 hour nap outside a service area.
Nearer to Cuenca I branched off at Utiel and took a wrong lane and finished up on the motorway. I pulled in at the service area hoping for an emergency escape only to find two cops. Bugger! They checked my papers and sent me on getting off the motorway took me off in a new direction so had to modify my plans. By error I finished up down in Iniesta and had to come up the N301.
I was still going well until I got to Toledo . You canīt get out of there to Madrid
unless you hit the motorway. I spent an hour looking for a way out and gave
up and headed out on the only rideable road for the bike direction Avila. I then couldn't find a route into Madrid went round and round in circles until in desperation I ran onto the motorway and ran out of fuel.

Iīm just looking at a map and can see I could get in on the west side but
not from the south so in fear of missing the game I locked it to the barrier on the motorway on the long grass and got a bus in. Missed the Madrid gang unfortunately (This is why guys)and I am spending the day sleeping and waiting for the traffic to die down tonight so I can get the bike off the road or back on it. Heading North to
Valladolid. If I can find a way out.
My credits have run out and Iīm not sure if I can top up Vodafone UK here. Help!!!!

Both phones are dead now battery wise which is why I didn't get the credit. Got your no but will have some access in Valladolid so can update then. I am at Neil's place in Madrid but setting off shortly to kick start the journey.
Just to mention Rob and his young lad, Neil who bought me a pint and use of phone
and ah god someone else and his wife.

Fantastic post!
Think my brain has had a blow out today.
More to come