Author Topic: The Velvet Underground  (Read 8993 times)

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
Re: The Velvet Underground
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2017, 09:45:22 pm »

Oh and yeah.. Shades. ;D

so thats it, Ray bans , check!..leather trousers, check! Heroin check!....no sorry , typo..meant , Specsaver shades, check! dad at M&S clothing check! start on the lager at 4pm check..

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2017, 09:58:01 pm »
start on the lager at 4pm check..

;D . That was my other option. Drive up for the gig, have one beer, one puff, give spare away, watch gig, 3 hour drive back. Nah... no way.

Heard a really good track by Nadine Shah just released the other day. Thought that name rings a bell... and yep, she's the singer who's apparantly playing Nico's role. It's this fact, after hearing the song, that's giving me some added pain that I may well have to miss this.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ZKGEGkC7s8o" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ZKGEGkC7s8o</a>

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2017, 10:00:12 pm »
so thats it, Ray bans , check!..leather trousers, check! Heroin check!....no sorry , typo..meant , Specsaver shades, check! dad at M&S clothing check! start on the lager at 4pm check..

And don't be fuckin late. And try not to end up looking like the bloke from Peters and Lee.

Goodbye all.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2017, 10:10:06 pm »
Fuck me look who the cat dragged in ;D :wave x

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2017, 11:08:41 pm »
Hope all's well Moobs... missed you on here.

The process has started with the organisers to claw back something from this disaster of a life I lead. I can't drive there and back as much as I'd love to, as death would be involved somewhere along the line. Am very concious tho that there could be two people missing out. Fuck eBay etc. If I had a helicopter etc. Still time for two people on here to grab tickets... tho only tonight/early morning. Call it 30 perhaps - am waiting for a reply.

I want some pics tho. Will be a great night.

See you at the 100th :wave

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2017, 09:35:56 pm »
Anyone know what time the gig starts... I know its advertised for 6pm...but surely thats doors open?

Filler, get anywhere with your thing?

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2017, 09:52:23 pm »
Filler, get anywhere with your thing?

Not exactly. Tho the missus and I might be going up now. Just been discussing it all again. Trying to juggle this that and the other with it all. Going to be a beautiful weekend weather wise. Is it an outdoor arena and do you know what the capacity is? Finding it hard to get clear info on it.

My ticket says 7:30, which to me means they'll be on 8:30?

Offline FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2017, 10:25:22 pm »
Not exactly. Tho the missus and I might be going up now. Just been discussing it all again. Trying to juggle this that and the other with it all. Going to be a beautiful weekend weather wise. Is it an outdoor arena and do you know what the capacity is? Finding it hard to get clear info on it.

My ticket says 7:30, which to me means they'll be on 8:30?

Sounds postive.Yeah forecast is good. No idea on capacity, it will be biggish so 3 or 4  thousand at a guess?

I think gig may start early and on time , which seems the norm now...so I wouldnt risk it , dont want to walk in with everyone shouting " more! more!"...cant see a 75th anniversary to catch it again!!

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2017, 10:45:02 pm »
Sounds postive.Yeah forecast is good. No idea on capacity, it will be biggish so 3 or 4  thousand at a guess?

I think gig may start early and on time , which seems the norm now...so I wouldnt risk it , dont want to walk in with everyone shouting " more! more!"...cant see a 75th anniversary to catch it again!!

Think it will start @ 8 lads

I had to give up tickets as can't make it
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2017, 11:37:27 pm »
3 or 4 thousand I reckon I could handle. Yeah, that should be fun. It was Nadine Shah that probably swung me. We'd get there as early as we can... hopefully in time. A long walk and a smoke up the river on a sunny glorious Liverpool evening along the way.

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2017, 03:45:41 pm »
From the Velvet Underground lineage.

:wave
I'll tell you one thing for sure... I wouldn't trust no words written down on no piece of paper, especially from no Dickenson out in the town of Machine.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2017, 10:30:27 pm »
Sadly, we won't be going. Bit gutted as we'd squeezed out a way to do it I think, but even that has crashed and burned. So if anyone is passing Northampton, they are yours for a beer or two. I might ring them tomorrow and see if two people can take my place etc. Think of me by a hospital bedside in the heat on a bank holiday weekend. We have a joke that bank holiday weekends are for hospitals, so at least I have that to amuse me. Again. Enjoy :wave

Offline FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2017, 12:22:45 pm »
Sadly, we won't be going. Bit gutted as we'd squeezed out a way to do it I think, but even that has crashed and burned. So if anyone is passing Northampton, they are yours for a beer or two. I might ring them tomorrow and see if two people can take my place etc. Think of me by a hospital bedside in the heat on a bank holiday weekend. We have a joke that bank holiday weekends are for hospitals, so at least I have that to amuse me. Again. Enjoy :wave

Shame... Im recoveing from and still not fully clear from a horrendous bout of Bronchitis but manfully carrying on and going to gig...though concerned I wont last full night as I've been fucked for weeks...though Im sure the medicinal powers of alcohol will assist...or not as the case may be. Thing is I really want to see support acts but may have to conserve my energy for John Cale.

I shall enjoy the gig on your behalf.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2017, 01:39:14 pm »
I'm concerned about the 'last entry 8.30pm' stuff - way too early for me to turn up to a gig that ;D If I go down at 9 are they going to turn me away?
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2017, 02:16:41 pm »
I'm concerned about the 'last entry 8.30pm' stuff - way too early for me to turn up to a gig that ;D If I go down at 9 are they going to turn me away?

That is weird for an outdoor gig.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2017, 09:34:58 pm »
I shall enjoy the gig on your behalf.

Good stuff... hope y'all enjoying it tonight. Have to say, sitting at home listening to VU isn't quite cutting the mustard tonight, no matter how much heroin I'm doing... but it's not too bad either.

8)

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2017, 11:41:37 pm »
Sweet nothing

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2017, 01:06:40 am »
Thought the performance and arrangements were fantastic but fucking hell.

LOUDER soundman, LOUDER!

Particularly enjoyed Sister Ray at the end, as half the crowd went 'what's this?' ;D

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2017, 01:39:36 am »
Fuck you all ;D

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2017, 10:19:56 am »
Thought the performance and arrangements were fantastic but fucking hell.

LOUDER soundman, LOUDER!

Particularly enjoyed Sister Ray at the end, as half the crowd went 'what's this?' ;D

What time did it start? Any guests with him?

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2017, 10:57:11 am »
What time did it start? Any guests with him?

Started half nine. Guests were Gruff Rhys, Lias from Fat White Family, Alison from the Kills, Nadine Shah, she was great, Clinic did Run Run Run, Wild Beasts did a couple. Venus in Furs was a highlight as Cale got his viola out as well as a string quartet. Sister Ray was a 20 minute rave up with everyone together to finish. Was all the tracks from the first album, plus Waitimg For the Man segued into White Light/White Heat. Also Lady Godivas Operation.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2017, 11:34:08 am »
Sad to say I didn't enjoy it. I suppose my expectations where naieve. I though it would be a presentaion of the original Lp , whereas Cale ( and totally justified too) reworked it..imagine LCD do VU. However that wasnt the problem, where we stood the sound quality was poor it wasnt clear and the mix too much bass but not loud enough.

My biggest gripe is everyone around us talking , I don't mean watching and talking, I mean in groups laughing and shouting and joking and fucking loud...why bother going?

So It may have been me..but my mates ( whos' gig going experiance is extensive) concured...so none of us enjoyed it , so the pub beckoned and we left early ..and to my suprise loads of others did to.

One final moan...the venue , laid out it the ubiquitus 'festival stylee' of fun fairs and food!food! food!.. I appreciate its for the Sound City Weekend..didnt suit the music.

So two different experiances , glad Sam enjoyed it , but not for me.

New Brighton Seaside festival for me today...Wahey!!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 11:37:27 am by FlashingBlade »

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2017, 12:04:59 pm »
I can see justification for all those points to be honest FB, I just managed to turn on my 'annoying twats' filter and blocked them out. It's had a lot of research and development, that twat filter  8)

I liked it when some pissed up fella started shouting 'Rock and roll' during Heroin, and someone informed him they weren't playing the Loaded LP.

It was too quiet to really get properly engrossed in. I was expecting radically changed arrangements (I'll never ever make that mistake again after the first time I saw Bob Dylan ;D) so was quite interested in how they did it. To be perfectly honest I'd love to hear a recording of it because there were blatantly loads of subtleties that just weren't coming through properly on the PA. I think noise complaints from Sound City last year probably hamstrung their ability to really crank it up, and the wind didn't help, adding a phasing effect to the whole mix.

Also the venue was absolutely wank, as you say. No disagreement there.

I really enjoyed it, but can definitely see why people may have gripes with it, especially at £50. I almost jibbed the whole thing off in the afternoon as I was too hot by far all day in work but dragged my arse out and am glad I did. The cycle down was very enjoyable. Not so much the one back, dehydrated and possibly a little drunk (I only had one drink before I arrived, but it was an unholy homemade bottled cocktail of gin, limoncello, mint and elderflower, which deffo made me the campest man in Vauxhall after I parked my bike up and drank it while walking to the venue) to be tackling Mount Pleasant at midnight.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2017, 12:06:45 pm »
Oh and I noticed when I got home I'd had my t shirt on inside out all evening, 15 minutes stood in the queue and no c*nt pointed it out. I guess they thought it was just me being a hipster dickhead  :-[ ;D

Offline FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2017, 01:12:24 pm »
Oh and I noticed when I got home I'd had my t shirt on inside out all evening, 15 minutes stood in the queue and no c*nt pointed it out. I guess they thought it was just me being a hipster dickhead  :-[ ;D

Haha!!..maybe they just though you where into Dexys 'too-rye-ay!" period of inside out clothes!!

It was too quiet to really get properly engrossed in. I was expecting radically changed arrangements (I'll never ever make that mistake again after the first time I saw Bob Dylan ;D) so was quite interested in how they did it. To be perfectly honest I'd love to hear a recording of it because there were blatantly loads of subtleties that just weren't coming through properly on the PA. I think noise complaints from Sound City last year probably hamstrung their ability to really crank it up, and the wind didn't help, adding a phasing effect to the whole mix.

Ah! ..pennys just dropped with me...there where loads of complaints to LCC and Wirral MBC after Humean League gig on Thursday cos it was so loud...to be honest I understand cos I could hear them sat in my garden in New Brighton, so think volume was turned down and maybe affected mix.

It may have been my last ever gig in Liverpool...I wasnt going to make an annoucement cos its not important to anyone here but as Im amongst friends(!!?)... me and family are moving to Amsterdam. Its all sorted and we will be living there from August onwards...Its happened so quick, made the decsion last year and thought it would take a long time to sort...but I managed to wangle a great severance package from work and left in January , within a short time my missus ( who is from Amsterdam) got this fantastic job there and we have sorted accomodation etc..so we are on our way! Ive decided to reinvigerate my cultral life there , so expect lots of culture, gigs and concerts posts in coming years...though I wont step on the toes of our resident Dutch Gigmeister Cloggypop.

..and before anyone asks, out kids got me ST!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 01:15:27 pm by FlashingBlade »

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2017, 01:23:19 pm »
I'll introduce you to some boss Dutch bands. The Ex are playing dB's in Utrecht in September with The Homesick and It Dockumer Lokaeltsje for a start. Great venue, boss bands.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2017, 01:24:44 pm »
I'll introduce you to some boss Dutch bands. The Ex are playing dB's in Utrecht in September with The Homesick and It Dockumer Lokaeltsje for a start. Great venue, boss bands.

Look forward to it!! :)

Offline FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2017, 04:52:31 pm »
Looks like the Guardian  ( and other reviews I read) where disapointed too...https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/may/28/the-velvet-underground-nico-reimagined-clarence-docks-liverpool-review-john-cale

Its a shame , as it seems its the arrangements of the gig underminded the experiance. Appreciate it was part of Sound City, but maybe it shouldn't have and been a stand alone event ( The Phil or Arena)

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2017, 05:26:40 pm »
I used to fly back for Sound City but haven't bothered since it moved down to the docks. It just looks like another festival now. Used to love the wandering between venues, maybe getting a quiet pint in on the way, and the Lobster Pot instead of overpriced festival food.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2017, 06:13:00 pm »
I used to fly back for Sound City but haven't bothered since it moved down to the docks. It just looks like another festival now. Used to love the wandering between venues, maybe getting a quiet pint in on the way, and the Lobster Pot instead of overpriced festival food.

This was the first time I'd been since the move to the docks - it was even worse when I went down last night, and the place was really deserted as well, a bit of a graveyard. They've totally fucked Sound City up, a real shame they've gone for the more commercial/corporate route. I remember a few great experiences when it was still all back in town. Not getting in to see Thee Oh Sees in a packed Kazimier I believe :(

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: June 1, 2017, 09:44:14 pm »
Sad to hear about the bad reception the gig received. Still feel I missed out. Good luck in Holland FlashingB! A great adventure awaits no doubt. Great to read the RAWK reviews too :thumbup

DEFINITELY go see The Ex tho.