Author Topic: The 'Football was invented in 1992' Sly Sports Premier League draft - discussion  (Read 17108 times)

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96

Welcome to the world of Sly Sports where all football before 1992 does not exist. This is a Premier League era draft where you can pick any player who graced the league between the 1992/93 season and the present day. All form before this period does not exist, so John Barnes' days as a flying winger are long gone. You can also only pick one player from each nation - e.g. If you draft Fernando Torres for Spain, then Xabi Alonso and every other Spaniard is then off limits to you.

Sign-ups:

Me
Samie
Lastrador
Draex
Tubby
Hazell
Elzar
Robbie
Sheer Mag
Lone Star Red
child-in-time
red1977
Chakan
Vivabobbygraham
Crosby Dick
Nicholls
Mikey
« Last Edit: November 11, 2023, 01:09:39 pm by Betty Blue »
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Errr who's going to pick fat Barsey?  ;D

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
One thing to discuss - we could make the draft a little easier (and probably fairer to those drawn low in the order) by going on worldwide form rather than Premier League only. e.g. Players like Shevchenko would be a good pick then.

What do people prefer?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 06:16:29 pm by Betty Blue »
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I will decide when you do the draft order draw mate.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
I will decide when you do the draft order draw mate.

:D

An alternative is to have a final round wildcard (I have an idea for one already) that would go in reverse order and give a boost to teams that got shafted.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
One more needed to start. We've had someone drop out, so we're at 15 again now.

Offline child-in-time

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
One thing to discuss - we could make the draft a little easier (and probably fairer to those drawn low in the order) by going on worldwide form rather than Premier League only. e.g. Players like Shevchenko would be a good pick then.

What do people prefer?
Stick to the PL form only imo. Make it all about Sky Sports and biased journos for real.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Stick to the PL form only imo. Make it all about Sky Sports and biased journos for real.

Good thinking. I like it. And good to have you back, mate. Spotted you online earlier and thought I’d try and hook you in  :D

Offline NICHOLLS

• Legacy Fan
  • Ohhhhh ya beauty, what a hit son, what a hit!
Count me in

Offline NICHOLLS

• Legacy Fan
  • Ohhhhh ya beauty, what a hit son, what a hit!
Agreed, only Prem league career - more chance of cult legends being picked then

Online red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Can any one name any players from the middle row on the pic in the op? Gordon Durie of spurs (I think?). Wimbledon keeper, Hans Segers?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 08:34:16 pm by red1977 »

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Can any one name any players from the middle row on the pic in the op? Gordon Durie of spurs (I think?). Wimbledon keeper, Hans Segers?

I thought I’d be able to make them all but apart from the two you said it’s really hard! Is the City player Brightwell (there might have been two of them?)…Norwich player looks a bit like Sutton but don’t think it is. Stumped on the others on that row.

And Beardsley in blue looks so wrong.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 08:51:04 pm by Crosby Nick 128 »

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Sorry mate, none of them look familiar to me and I'd have to Google. All ugly mofos though.  ;D

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
I thought I’d be able to make them all but apart from the two you said it’s really hard! Is the City player Brightwell (there might have been two of them?)…Norwich player looks a bit like Sutton but don’t think it is. Stumped on the others on that row.

And Beardsley in blue looks so wrong.
Norwich player might be Ian Butterworth
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Where the fuck has Betty ran off to?  ;D

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Norwich player might be Ian Butterworth

I was going to say Ian Culverhouse! Remember the names, just not the faces! And no idea about the Coventry bloke! The Arsenal guy looks familiar, one or their crop of disappointing young midfielders I think. Is it David Hillier?

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Where the fuck has Betty ran off to?  ;D

It’s Friday night, Samie! We’ll start tomorrow  :)

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
Was thinking Anders Limpar but Yep David Hillier think you’re right
« Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 10:35:38 pm by duvva 💅 »
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
It’s Friday night, Samie! We’ll start tomorrow  :)

Oh that's fine mate. Just give me the selection draw. I need Prep time.  ;D

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Tim Sherwood looks demented (more than usual).

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
 ;D

He looks like he's on LSD's mate.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Okay, we are good to go. In fact, we have 17 drafters! Good to know drafting isn't quite dead. Just in case anyone else wants to jump in, speak now or forever hold your peace.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Great to see Jimmy Somerville, Gary Wilmott and Frank Skinner on the front row too. The 90s were something else.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
I'll have a bobbins
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
I'll have a bobbins

Nice one, mate. Just in time  :thumbup

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
FAO newbie drafters. No-one cares who your keeper is. Don't waste an early round pick on one.

Reminder: This is an 11 from 11 countries draft. Meaning each of you can have no more than one player from any nation in your side. If you pick Torres, then that means no Xabi or any other Spaniard. You must finish the draft with 11 different countries represented in your side.

The order -

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Forever in the middle. Conspiraceh.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
That George Weah line was a direct  two footed attack at me Betts.  ;D

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion

He was better at Chelsea. You pick him if you want to Samie.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96

It was  :D

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
Forever in the middle. Conspiraceh.

You and me both.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
What time we kicking off?

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Whenever Fatso has had his third late lunch.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
While we wait to begin, I found a better quality picture to help with the guessing game.

The only one of the non-obvious guys I recognised immediately was Salako for Palace in the front row.

Found named version now too, so I can tell you who is right and wrong -

Can any one name any players from the middle row on the pic in the op? Gordon Durie [√] of spurs (I think?). Wimbledon keeper, Hans Segers? [√]

Gordon Durie. That's a name I haven't heard in decades. I remember him being a beast at Rangers in Sensible Soccer 96/97.

I thought I’d be able to make them all but apart from the two you said it’s really hard! Is the City player Brightwell [√]
Norwich player might be Ian Butterworth [√]
The Arsenal guy looks familiar, one or their crop of disappointing young midfielders I think. Is it David Hillier? [√]

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
David Hirst for Wednesday and Gary Charles (I think) for Forest. And Andy Ritchie for Oldham.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Is that Andy Sinton for QPR?
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
No brainer first pick.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
You can't pick Mido now you fat fucker.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
No brainer first pick.

Can't believe you ruled yourself out from picking Amr Zaki

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Dang, didn't even think of them.  Is it too late to change my pick?
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.