Author Topic: Web hosting recommendation for "unlimited website hosting"  (Read 1577 times)

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Web hosting recommendation for "unlimited website hosting"
« on: December 15, 2018, 08:12:34 pm »
Looking for a bit of help from our resident web technology experts!

I currently have an unlimited web hosting package with Godaddy - this enables me to host an unlimited amount of websites for domains that I own, install wordpress, etc. I do this via their Plesk admin interface. I bought this package several years ago and now currently pay an exorbitant monthly fee for what I perceive to be a poor service. Websites are slow. Plesk admin user interface is absolutely horrible. I am also looking to redesign an old website using Wordpress and find the whole process with GoDaddy slow and cumbersome.

I'm thinking there must be a better service out there and looking for recommendations. I find it quite tough to research this as Google has a lot of biased comparison review articles.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Happy to pay for a couple years up front. Something that would make the whole Wordpress installation and set up process easier would also be awesome. Thanks.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Web hosting recommendation for "unlimited website hosting"
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 08:53:14 pm »
I use Nimbus hosting for my sites, have for years, and always found them excellent.

One click (more or less) WP installs too.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 11:14:42 am »
You might also want to look into AWS - you pay just for what you use - no more, no less.

Just be careful that you have a DDOS Protection service running or the costs could really be monumental.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 08:14:06 pm »
Thanks fellas ... Craig would you mind sharing (or DM’ing me) what you pay per month and what you get for that fee? I will definitely look into Nimbus.

Also out of your interest what do you think of GoDaddy as a service provider? Do you perceive them as substandard compared to others in the marketplace?

Andy - I will research AWS offering  and DDOS protection further. Thanks for the advice.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 09:33:09 pm by Keith Lard »
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 12:29:56 pm »
Technically there is no such thing as unlimited, AWS probably isn't cost effective or suitable for you if you don't understand servers etc.

https://www.hetzner.com/webhosting may have something that works for you though.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 12:29:43 am »
Technically there is no such thing as unlimited, AWS probably isn't cost effective or suitable for you if you don't understand servers etc.

https://www.hetzner.com/webhosting may have something that works for you though.

You don't have to understand servers to be fair - it's got a basic sandbox EB generation tool for a website that you can edit yourself and redeploy at will.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Joe_Singh

• Legacy Fan
  • My idea is always to win trophies, not just games
    • Joe Singh
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 04:58:33 pm »
Hi Guys,

Any recommendations for an Email host?

I'm currently using a service called out it goes. The interface is a nightmare and the Spam is just ridiculous.
What I love about this, and several other of Kenny's press conferences, is that he manages to say something to the effect of  'Shut the fuck up, you fucking helmets and don't fuck with me or my football club or I'll make you eat your own balls', without actually using th

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 05:42:07 pm »
For your own domain? Use gmail personally as the email host for all my domains, with the sites hosted elsewhere.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 10:51:00 pm »
Office 365 as an alternative to GSuite. It's a bit more pricey but the integration with other Microsoft products (OneDrive/Sharepoint/Skype for Business etc) is great as a well as getting Office bundled in depending on what level of license you go for.

Having said that in my experience no one beats Google when it comes to spam filtering.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 02:04:25 pm »
Gmail's anti spam makes Microsoft's solutions look like amateur hour.

To the OP, if you're technically minded enough you might be best of buying a dedicated server or AWS and chucking Ubuntu server on there with ISP Config (open source WHMCS/Cpanel alternative). ISP Config will handle everything including deploying free SSL certs via https://letsencrypt.org/, the only thing I do externally is manage my DNS through Cloudfare - though this is supported in ISP Config.

I use SoYouStart for dedicated servers, they're part of OVH:
https://www.soyoustart.com/en/

ISP Config:
https://www.ispconfig.org/
:D