Author Topic: Diogo Jota (Diogo José Teixeira da Silva)  (Read 550538 times)

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Diogo Jota (Diogo José Teixeira da Silva)
« Reply #5320 on: April 9, 2024, 05:23:43 pm »
Jota is our best finisher in the side and can also play wide. We have really missed him over the last couple
Of months and we have created a lot of chances recently without finishing them and I think Jota would have had a Hatful of goals if he was fit over the last 8 weeks.

our last 10 PL games:
Chelsea-Arsenal-Burnley-Brentford-Luton
-- Scored 16 Conceded 7
Forest-MC-Brighton-SU-MU
-- Scored 8 Conceded 5

Defense doesn't seem to be the problem, but goal production is way off. Jota would absolutely have helped recently.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #5321 on: April 9, 2024, 05:24:29 pm »
Don’t agree with you here at all. Jota is our best finisher in the side and can also play wide. We have really missed him over the last couple
Of months and we have created a lot of chances recently without finishing them and I think Jota would have had a Hatful of goals if he was fit over the last 8 weeks.

Is that recency bias though mate. Would you have said the same when Jota went 32 games between goals?

I think he is a terrific player. Really intelligent and has great movement and when he is on a goal streak is a fantastic finisher. I just struggle to see where he starts for us though. For me he is a half and half player. His best position is between the lines in between being a left sided attacker and nine but without the full skillset to nail down a starting spot in either position.

He tends to drift inside when played wide left and he doesn't have the blistering pace to play as an out and out 9. It is great that he is back and adds to the forward options we have. However for me Diaz, Nunez and Salah our still our most rounded attack.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5322 on: April 9, 2024, 10:58:12 pm »
Is that recency bias though mate. Would you have said the same when Jota went 32 games between goals?
He has 40 in 95 for us in the league, a far better scoring record than anyone in the squad bar Salah - so is that run really remotely indicative of his overall form for us?

He tends to drift inside when played wide left and he doesn't have the blistering pace to play as an out and out 9. It is great that he is back and adds to the forward options we have. However for me Diaz, Nunez and Salah our still our most rounded attack.
He doesn't need pace to play as an out and out nine, certainly not compared to playing as a wide forward. It's why wide forwards typically move more central as they get older. And we certainly aren't Man United, constantly trying to get goals on the break. Not to mention he's probably the best presser of our forwards. For me, fitness is just the big issue, but maybe it isn't as big a deal in a squad with five forwards. I know we have different views on this but I'd be disappointed if he moves on this summer.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #5323 on: April 9, 2024, 11:07:26 pm »
He has 40 in 95 for us in the league, a far better scoring record than anyone in the squad bar Salah - so is that run really remotely indicative of his overall form for us?
He doesn't need pace to play as an out and out nine, certainly not compared to playing as a wide forward. It's why wide forwards typically move more central as they get older. And we certainly aren't Man United, constantly trying to get goals on the break. Not to mention he's probably the best presser of our forwards. For me, fitness is just the big issue, but maybe it isn't as big a deal in a squad with five forwards. I know we have different views on this but I'd be disappointed if he moves on this summer.

Fuck me the Jota could of been sold last summer is going to haunt me. :D :D

Luckily I have never made any other comments that people constantly bring up.

I think things have changed and that all bets are off until we bring in a new manager. Look for me Jota is a brilliant footballer. I just don't think he really fitted for a Klopp side. You make a good point about pace not being a necessity for a 9. There are a couple of counterarguments though.

Klopp's counter-pressing mean we really do need explosive pace somewhere in the front three. The other thing something that is often missed is that the 9 or false 9 role is one of the few areas in our side that we can add height. Something that is necessary in both boxes. Jota is brilliant at finding space and attacking the ball in the air but he doesn't have the height to compete with the oppositions biggest players. 
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5324 on: April 9, 2024, 11:26:57 pm »
Fuck me the Jota could of been sold last summer is going to haunt me. :D :D

Luckily I have never made any other comments that people constantly bring up.

I think things have changed and that all bets are off until we bring in a new manager. Look for me Jota is a brilliant footballer. I just don't think he really fitted for a Klopp side. You make a good point about pace not being a necessity for a 9. There are a couple of counterarguments though.

Klopp's counter-pressing mean we really do need explosive pace somewhere in the front three. The other thing something that is often missed is that the 9 or false 9 role is one of the few areas in our side that we can add height. Something that is necessary in both boxes. Jota is brilliant at finding space and attacking the ball in the air but he doesn't have the height to compete with the oppositions biggest players.
100% on this, and I think some people could be very surprised by who's in the team by the end of next season and who's in line to leave, especially if we're switching the shape of the team round.

But in general, I don't think the height thing is necessarily that important, especially given Jota is so good in the air and we have the likes of Nunez, Gakpo and Szoboszlai in there. I'd rather have someone who can finish reliably and pick up balls in the box, which Jota does really well and which we've missed to a large extent when he hasn't been in the team.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #5325 on: April 9, 2024, 11:45:19 pm »
100% on this, and I think some people could be very surprised by who's in the team by the end of next season and who's in line to leave, especially if we're switching the shape of the team round.

But in general, I don't think the height thing is necessarily that important, especially given Jota is so good in the air and we have the likes of Nunez, Gakpo and Szoboszlai in there. I'd rather have someone who can finish reliably and pick up balls in the box, which Jota does really well and which we've missed to a large extent when he hasn't been in the team.

I think the height thing is crucial, especially towards the end of games. If you are 1-0 up seeing a game out then we could easily end up with Elliott replacing Szobo, Salah tends to stay on, if you want a Nunez, Jota, Salah front three then the logical thing is to bring on Diaz for Nunez.

That then leaves you with Diaz, Jota, Salah, Elliott, Robbo and Macca defending set pieces against teams that are going to load the box.

I think it is telling that during Klopp's time we have generally played with Firmino, Nunez or Gakpo as the 9 false 9.   
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5326 on: April 10, 2024, 06:32:53 am »
Made up he's back.
But I saw the pictures? FFS knew it was too good to be true.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #5327 on: April 10, 2024, 09:52:30 am »
:duh

I don't really care when the point was originally made; proposing selling Jota is an idiotic idea, whether raised at a drunk after-party in July or a coffee bar in Amsterdam in November.

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #5328 on: April 10, 2024, 09:58:26 am »
I don't really care when the point was originally made; proposing selling Jota is an idiotic idea, whether raised at a drunk after-party in July or a coffee bar in Amsterdam in November.

Well no but you were criticising a post from last summer, and then referencing someone elses form from this season :D Do you not...no don't worry carry on.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5329 on: April 10, 2024, 10:14:58 am »
Great news and hope he's ready to hit the ground running as we have missed him. His goals per minutes is crazy this season up there with Salah, who also has missed a chunk of the season due to injuries and international football. If those two had been here for nearly every game this season we be six points to the good at least and still in the FA Cup.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5330 on: April 10, 2024, 10:54:12 am »
It doesn't matter if he starts or not, he's an incredible player to bring into a game if we are struggling to score, we could also rotate between him and Diaz

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #5331 on: April 12, 2024, 10:12:16 am »
Why did our most clinical player miss a header from 5 yards last night?

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5332 on: April 12, 2024, 10:21:36 am »
Yes he had a bad miss, but he looked incredibly sharp for his first game in 2 months and nearly won a penalty with his first touch.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5333 on: April 12, 2024, 10:23:04 am »
Yes he had a bad miss, but he looked incredibly sharp for his first game in 2 months and nearly won a penalty with his first touch.

Yes exactly ….  He looked sharp …. He’s a very good forward .,, but he still missed a fantastic chance …
Come on we’re so close on this one people

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5334 on: April 12, 2024, 10:24:45 am »

The one who has only just came back from injury?

What about the 'chaotic' one who done fuck all except be stupid as usual.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #5335 on: April 12, 2024, 10:25:21 am »

Have a guess....go on, you can do it....
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5336 on: April 12, 2024, 10:27:57 am »

Because most clinical doesn’t mean doesn’t ever miss nor does it account for mitigating factors like months out with injury

The most clinical player on earth misses headers from 5 yards out. Haaland missed a shot from a few yards out the other day… in fact he didn’t just miss a shot… he missed the ball completely

No one has said Jota wont or doesn’t miss, or he’ll come back and score every single change, just that we look more lethal with him in the side, he gets into good positions and he’s a great finisher, which part of that isn’t true?

Why do you seem elated that he missed so you could drag up a point on something no one even said?

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5337 on: April 12, 2024, 10:34:09 am »
He's the last player that should be singled out off the back of yesterday's debacle.

Offline PEG2K

• Could be Stan Boardman. Hates the Germans.
  • Kopite
« Reply #5338 on: April 12, 2024, 10:49:09 am »
Yes exactly ….  He looked sharp …. He’s a very good forward .,, but he still missed a fantastic chance …
Come on we’re so close on this one people
Just say it. The reason you bring up Jota missing that header is because you're on a whataboutism quest to defend Nunez.

You asked a question you already knew the answer. What's the point you're trying to push here, aside from all strikers miss chances? Which means your two posts should be in the Nunez thread instead.

This has become a common theme for the Nunez lovers on this forum. Bring our other forwards down so Nunez looks better. There's a guy who questioned Gakpo for not having a shot yesterday. And there's another guy who said Jota earning a penalty doesn't count as his contribution. It's really tiresome.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 10:51:56 am by PEG2K »

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5339 on: April 12, 2024, 10:51:32 am »
Just say it. The reason you bring up Jota missing that header is because you're on a whataboutism quest to defend Nunez.

This has become a common theme for the Nunez lovers on this forum. Bring our other forwards down so Nunez looks better. There's a guy who questioned Gakpo for not having a shot yesterday. And there's another guy who said Jota earning a penalty doesn't count as his contribution. It's really tiresome.

Some

There’s still plenty of us who rate and have huge faith in Nunez and dont bring down to others to elevate him

Offline PEG2K

• Kopite
« Reply #5340 on: April 12, 2024, 10:53:00 am »
Some

There’s still plenty of us who rate and have huge faith in Nunez and dont bring down to others to elevate him
Ah yeah I meant some. A few to be precise.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5341 on: April 12, 2024, 10:56:55 am »
Oh brilliant I made a minor post on a Jota thread and somehow waded into some sort of fucking hidden agenda CIA-blackops type shit around Nunez.

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5342 on: April 12, 2024, 11:00:00 am »
We're talking about who is poorest out of two of the most productive attackers in the league :D

They're both really good.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #5343 on: April 12, 2024, 11:18:13 am »
Because most clinical doesn’t mean doesn’t ever miss nor does it account for mitigating factors like months out with injury

The most clinical player on earth misses headers from 5 yards out. Haaland missed a shot from a few yards out the other day… in fact he didn’t just miss a shot… he missed the ball completely

No one has said Jota wont or doesn’t miss, or he’ll come back and score every single change, just that we look more lethal with him in the side, he gets into good positions and he’s a great finisher, which part of that isn’t true?

Why do you seem elated that he missed so you could drag up a point on something no one even said?

Someone did say 1 shot 1 goal further back in the thread in fairness.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5344 on: April 12, 2024, 11:18:44 am »

You asked a question you already knew the answer. What's the point you're trying to push here, aside from all strikers miss chances? Which means your two posts should be in the Nunez thread instead.

You've got the wrong guy
I love Jota - I think he's fantastic and should start in our first 11 over Diaz

My quest is to stop people thinking 'clincial' is something that means you don't miss chances and that finishing is the difference between forwards or why forwards have value

Offline kvarmeismydad

• Might regale ya with tales of footballing genitalia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5345 on: April 12, 2024, 11:31:05 am »
Him being back is a lovely positive. A striker with an actual brain.
@paulair

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5346 on: April 12, 2024, 11:31:58 am »
I'd start him through the middle with Diaz and Salah next to him on Sunday.

A player with a brain through the middle works wonders, look at Bobby back in the day.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5347 on: April 12, 2024, 11:59:40 am »
You've got the wrong guy

My quest is to stop people thinking 'clincial' is something that means you don't miss chances and that finishing is the difference between forwards or why forwards have value

Those headers were difficult chances to be fair.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5348 on: April 12, 2024, 12:27:09 pm »
Those headers were difficult chances to be fair.

The second header is the one he buries when he's not coming on for the first time in 2 months with 15 mins of total gameplay.

He was excellent in his little cameo. Whole team picked up it seemed.

He's going to have to start as soon as possible. 35 mins on Sunday - and then start on Thursday.

Offline PEG2K

• Kopite
« Reply #5349 on: April 12, 2024, 12:31:35 pm »
You've got the wrong guy

Yeah but you made the first post in this thread after yesterday's game. Before you there was no one criticizing Jota, so why?

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5350 on: April 12, 2024, 01:06:50 pm »
You've got the wrong guy

Please display people thinking this! Who specifically was saying clinical means that?

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5351 on: April 12, 2024, 02:27:42 pm »
Can't come back soon enough. 1 shot, 1 goal which is exactly what we need.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5352 on: April 12, 2024, 02:35:06 pm »
Yeah but you made the first post in this thread after yesterday's game. Before you there was no one criticizing Jota, so why?

Given my post history and my view of football do you seriously think I was criticizing him for missing the chance?  ...I posted because its instructive that someone whose been constantly described as more clincial than a bleach explosion at a Domestos factory hit a header from 5 yards like his head was made of a 50p piece ... because that's something all forwards do..

To be clear my point is Jota's value is in getting a lot of high value shots (his shot selection is as good as it gets) NOT that he is the 'most clinical' finisher

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #5353 on: April 12, 2024, 03:28:50 pm »
I'd start him through the middle with Diaz and Salah next to him on Sunday.

A player with a brain through the middle works wonders, look at Bobby back in the day.

Me too. He won't be at full throttle, but it'd be good to get some yards in those legs. And even at 75 per cent he offers more than Darwin I think.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5354 on: April 12, 2024, 07:00:16 pm »
Me too. He won't be at full throttle, but it'd be good to get some yards in those legs. And even at 75 per cent he offers more than Darwin I think.

Which will help him get up to speed for Atalanta

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #5355 on: April 12, 2024, 11:16:52 pm »
Agreed. and to add, one aspect of Jota's goals is often overlooked - he often scores the first goal that sets the tone of the game. The first goal may not be the holy grail, it can often be overcome as we know so painfully well, but it is very important IMHO.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5356 on: April 13, 2024, 03:43:58 am »
Any chance Jota could get some minute on Sunday?
Believer

Online Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #5357 on: April 13, 2024, 05:20:47 am »
Given my post history and my view of football do you seriously think I was criticizing him for missing the chance?  ...I posted because its instructive that someone whose been constantly described as more clincial than a bleach explosion at a Domestos factory hit a header from 5 yards like his head was made of a 50p piece ... because that's something all forwards do..

To be clear my point is Jota's value is in getting a lot of high value shots (his shot selection is as good as it gets) NOT that he is the 'most clinical' finisher

And I suspect Mrs Gakpo shares the same sentiments as you based on what she’s posting in the Gakpo thread …
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5358 on: April 14, 2024, 04:08:04 pm »
Looks rusty. A match fit Jota scores that.

Our attack improved when he came on

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #5359 on: April 14, 2024, 04:15:15 pm »
My stream died just as he took the shot and never came back up. Obviously he buried it because he's clinical so why are people in the post-match thread saying we lost?

Bit confused. Still, 1-1 feels like a loss.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.