Author Topic: Gordon Lightfoot (1938-2023)  (Read 826 times)

Offline coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
Gordon Lightfoot (1938-2023)
« on: May 2, 2023, 03:37:50 am »
One of the greatest Canadians and one of the greatest storytellers.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/v5tr_L31StI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/v5tr_L31StI</a>
« Last Edit: May 2, 2023, 05:20:45 pm by coolbyrne »
Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
Re: Gordon Lightfoot (1938-2023)
« Reply #1 on: May 2, 2023, 10:06:00 am »
Ah no way :( Great shame. Such an incredible songwriter.
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: May 2, 2023, 12:12:33 pm »
I am happy someone mentioned this lad, as I was going to put a mention in the deceased musician's thread later.

"If You Could Read My Mind" is one of my favorite love songs.  I remember hearing it from a very early age and always liked it.  It's about his reflection on his divorce apparently

I didn't know he was Canadian either.

RIP

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #3 on: May 2, 2023, 12:57:59 pm »
You can tell when someone is good when they reach out of a genre you do not listen to and drag you in, just for them, Gordon Lightfoot, Glenn Campbell and early Kenny Rogers managed that.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #4 on: May 2, 2023, 01:00:42 pm »
I am happy someone mentioned this lad, as I was going to put a mention in the deceased musician's thread later.

"If You Could Read My Mind" is one of my favorite love songs.  I remember hearing it from a very early age and always liked it.  It's about his reflection on his divorce apparently

RIP

I was just about to post in the Deceased Musicians Thread as well.

Agree about “If You Could Read My Mind” with some of the most memorable lyrics. Mind you it’s a toss up with “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald “.

Offline coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #5 on: May 2, 2023, 04:49:42 pm »

RIP

It was about his divorce. Later on, he would change a line in it- "I'm just trying to understand the feelings that you lack"-to "I'm just trying to understand the feelings that we lack", because his daughter said, "Didn't it take both of you?" Just a beautiful song.

Rick Beato does a fantastic breakdown of this song-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/X33YyowZZxQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/X33YyowZZxQ</a>
« Last Edit: May 2, 2023, 05:20:03 pm by coolbyrne »
Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #6 on: May 2, 2023, 05:23:31 pm »
Sad news, I loved his song Daylight Katy. RIP Gordon.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: May 2, 2023, 05:32:14 pm »
Cheers CB.  Great stuff

The great knowledge god that is Wikipedia informs me that he almost sued the arse off the songwriter of Whitney Houston's "The Greatest Love of All", for plagiarising his melody.

I totally get it now and don't think I will ever be able to listen to her song ever again without hearing Gordon's song in there

To be fair, Lightfoot subsequently dropped his lawsuit against the songwriter as he didn't want to fuck up Houston's blossoming career.

The actual songwriter settled out of court and issued an apology. For big bucks, I would imagine.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #8 on: May 2, 2023, 06:11:39 pm »
To my shame I think I only really know If You Could Read My Mind and the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald but I’ll be giving his stuff more of a listen later. First one in particular is so well written.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #9 on: May 2, 2023, 08:56:11 pm »
To my shame I think I only really know If You Could Read My Mind and the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald but I’ll be giving his stuff more of a listen later. First one in particular is so well written.

Daylight Katy as well you should listen too.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: May 2, 2023, 11:02:25 pm »
Have only gotten into him in the past few years thanks to my father in law who is a super fan. He’d met him numerous times since the 60s. He always chatted to fans after gigs.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: May 3, 2023, 12:42:52 am »
RIP. I've introduced him to a few younger colleagues this year and I hadn't actually realised he was still with us.

Love the two songs most mentioned - the edmund fitzgerald has to be one of the best and most poignant storytelling ballads around.

One song I don't think I've seen mentioned yet that needs rectifying is Sundown - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IBdZ645S-o

Offline coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #12 on: May 3, 2023, 01:32:15 am »
Cheers CB.  Great stuff

The great knowledge god that is Wikipedia informs me that he almost sued the arse off the songwriter of Whitney Houston's "The Greatest Love of All", for plagiarising his melody.

I totally get it now and don't think I will ever be able to listen to her song ever again without hearing Gordon's song in there

To be fair, Lightfoot subsequently dropped his lawsuit against the songwriter as he didn't want to fuck up Houston's blossoming career.

The actual songwriter settled out of court and issued an apology. For big bucks, I would imagine.

I didn't know that (re: the Whitney thing), but now, like you, I won't be able to not hear it.

For those just getting into his catalogue, among the ones mentioned, I would also add 'Carefree Highway'.

Turning back the pages to the times I love best
I wonder if she'll ever do the same?
Now the thing that I call living
Is just being satisfied
With knowing I got no one left to blame

If you're not Canadian, you can't imagine how much he shaped our consciousness of the country. But like all good music, he reached across all borders.
Oh, these sour times.