Author Topic: PRE MATCH THREAD: Sparta Prague vs Liverpool Thursday 7th March, 17.45 ko  (Read 14253 times)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
We never play great on a back of resting players. All first team players need some game time, it’ll just depend on when to use them.

I still think this is a more realistic chance for us of winning than the league. We’re riding our luck.

As a club we exist to win trophies. I am not sure how many more times it needs to be said.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Air Jota

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
I wouldn't say riding our luck but we were fortunate to have Burnley and Luton at home when we did. Any away game, or a stronger team at home and it would have been a real struggle, but so it should be with all the players missing. Forest was always going to be tough away.

Even with a strong team out tomorrow will be a grind though. The 3 aways were in the group. Sparta will be well up for it.

If we're going down that route then Arsenal are ridding their luck having 7 piss poor sides they've played consecutively, while having all their players fit.

It doesnt matter, we found a way and got through it, we've dropped points with a full side against worse teams, the game still has to be won, 4 games in 11 days. That should be praised.

Offline kop306

• Anny Roader
i am starting bradley on the bench as he deserves extra rest as we will need him against city
i would take gomez off after about 70 mins

kelleher

gomez quansah virg robbo

sobo endo mac

elliot cody diaz

subs
mo on for 30 mins

Offline Kloppage Time

• Anny Roader
  • ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠⊙⁠_⁠ʖ⁠⊙⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯
Klopp will want this to complete his trophy cabinet
Anyone can have a good day, but you have to be able to perform on a bad day.

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Air Jota

• Main Stander
Macca first up in presser before Jurgen

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Klopp doesn't half love Macca. 😄
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
Great op nick. I have a theory that boys (sorry, it's predominantly boys that like football) suffer in their exams in world cup and euros years. Luckily England are mostly shite so it's not too distracting.

If any of our travelling support can get me a dukla away kit whilst you are there, I'd be happy to reimburse.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Great op nick. I have a theory that boys (sorry, it's predominantly boys that like football) suffer in their exams in world cup and euros years. Luckily England are mostly shite so it's not too distracting.

If any of our travelling support can get me a dukla away kit whilst you are there, I'd be happy to reimburse.

Ha, it’s possible! I did better in my GCSEs. USA 94 didn’t have England (when I’d have given more of a shit), and really late kick off times so I didn’t watch too much and so it didn’t interfere. Euro 96, especially with it being in England was a nightmare!

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
Prague is a beautiful city, and it tends to be warmer than here from now on, so the travelling Kop will have a fine time if the police are alright. There may be a few more first teamers in this than predicted, some need to get themselves in to playing shape.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
That's what 'doctor's appointments' are for - just say you have a problem with your scrotum, nobody will ask any more questions. Might look at you funny in future, but at least you get to watch the match.
Sadly a member of the team already uses this excuse!
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
Great OP Nick. Excited for this
I expect a pretty strong lineup depending on who available. Klopp going to try and the game
« Last Edit: March 6, 2024, 09:14:29 pm by RedG13 »

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
Just watched the press conference and it's great to see the old playful Klopp returning. You can see a huge weight has been lifted from his shoulders since he announced he's leaving. A joy listening to him speak.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Ha, it’s possible! I did better in my GCSEs. USA 94 didn’t have England (when I’d have given more of a shit), and really late kick off times so I didn’t watch too much and so it didn’t interfere. Euro 96, especially with it being in England was a nightmare!

I'm not so sure, I had an A Level the morning after Istanbul, neither a Euros or World Cup year.

I put in a Shevchenko of a performance on that one!
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
Just watched the press conference and it's great to see the old playful Klopp returning. You can see a huge weight has been lifted from his shoulders since he announced he's leaving. A joy listening to him speak.

Didn't see it but he usually visibly prefers the European press conferences as he generally is asked better questions, rather than narrative driven bullshit of English media
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
I'd like to see us go strong and kill the tie. Making the return leg a formality will allow us to rest players.

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
Score 3 or 4 here, and kill the tie. It is doable.

Offline HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
They finished second behind rangers in their group. Rangers got a draw away from home and won at home against them. We should really be coming out on top even with a slightly rotated team.

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
They will be fighting for their lives to either get something at home, or stay in it by staying in touch. I see a rotated side, and a win by one goal. Then we will finish the job at Anfield.

It’s a juggling act to manage playing resources. Man City is by far the bigger game. I expect we will do a couple of 2x45 min performances to see some top players through to the weekend, and I expect a rotated side, similar to what we have been seeing due to injuries. But as more senior players are coming back it will move in that direction as we go.

Peak Liverpool blows Slavia Prague away. But I suspect it will be just about good enough Liverpool, to take a slender lead back to Anfield to finish the job.

One eye is definitely on the Man City game.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
Can’t help but watch the CL games this week and wonder if the PL hasn’t already morphed into the Super League.  So it’s hard in that of course we want to win everything but if we can win the PL then it feels like everything should be subsumed by that. With that said the squad list clearly shows that this will be a strong team and my only hope then is we do the job to make the next leg a formality.

Expecting a solid win here. Up the reds!

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
Thanks for the OP Nick. I’d be happy with a similar selection as you’ve gone for there to be honest, try and get some sort of result with minimal risk to key players. It’s a balancing act at the moment as you say.

I absolutely love the UEFA Cup (Dortmund ‘01 was one of my favourite ever footy memories), and would obviously love us to progress in the comp and eventually go on to lift it (completing the set would be a ridiculously good achievement), but I can’t stop my eyes from wandering to Sunday. One game at a time is the correct mantra, always. But…

Offline ValiantInstance

• Main Stander
Reckon the trio who have just returned from injury come on after 60 minutes. Maybe not Nunez if we're winning as he doesn't need gametime.

Offline ValiantInstance

• Main Stander
Prague is a beautiful city, and it tends to be warmer than here from now on, so the travelling Kop will have a fine time if the police are alright. There may be a few more first teamers in this than predicted, some need to get themselves in to playing shape.
Not a nightmare to travel to either. The stereotypically annoying things about the Europa League are a Round of 32 away leg in Azerbaijan or Russia on a Thursday night. Both have been avoided.

Whoever decided that the group winner skips the 32 needs a raise.

Offline Redshadow

• Legacy Fan
  • Wir schaffen es diesmal mit Herrn Klopp
Play a strong side and kill the tie. We're playing at Anfield on Sunday. There will an abundance of energy then for our players to rely on. If we're able to have a big advantage from the first leg, the second leg is when we rest players for FA Cup tie

Whatever an education is, it should make you a unique individual, not a conformist; it should furnish you with an original spirit to tackle big challenges; it should allow you to find values to road map through life; it should make you spiritually rich, a person who loves whatever you are doing, wherever you are.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
All these different opinions on how strong we go are great but just go to emphasise that the big man has some tricky decisions to make today. Whatever he comes up will be the right team. But I suspect he might err on the cautious side. The worst of all scenarios would be going strong, picking up a few key knocks ruling players out of Sunday whilst not killing off the tie. The flip side is obviously playing the youngsters and getting a result. The latter of those scenarios feels more Kloppish to me, but we’ll see.

Offline Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
I think it will be similar to how we approach Cup games. Blend of youth and experience, the big guns getting some game time in the second half to keep themselves ticking over ahead of Sunday.

Dom and Darwin haven't had too many minutes recently so would be no surprise to see them on the pitch at some point to prepare them for Abu Dhabi.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I think it will be similar to how we approach Cup games. Blend of youth and experience, the big guns getting some game time in the second half to keep themselves ticking over ahead of Sunday.

Dom and Darwin haven't had too many minutes recently so would be no surprise to see them on the pitch at some point to prepare them for Abu Dhabi.
Yeah, good shout.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
All these different opinions on how strong we go are great but just go to emphasise that the big man has some tricky decisions to make today. Whatever he comes up will be the right team. But I suspect he might err on the cautious side. The worst of all scenarios would be going strong, picking up a few key knocks ruling players out of Sunday whilst not killing off the tie. The flip side is obviously playing the youngsters and getting a result. The latter of those scenarios feels more Kloppish to me, but we’ll see.
My experience is that Klopp goes stronger, with less resting, than most people on Rawk want or expect.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
My experience is that Klopp goes stronger, with less resting, than most people on Rawk want or expect.

Maybe, but the current circumstances might sway him. What I meant was he tends to trust inexperienced players, and probably does so even more now they’ve proved themselves completely unfazed by the step up.

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
Looking at the travelling squad, I'd go for this. Make a quadruple sub at half time with Elliott going into the attack and Szoboszlai in midfield. That would leave us one more sub to make later in the game which would most likely be Salah who I can't see starting against City.

Kelleher

Gomez          Van Dijk          Quansah          Tsimikas
                 (45-Konate)

Elliott          Endo          Clark
                         (45-Mac Allister)

Gordon          Gakpo          Koumas
     (45-Szoboszlai)  (45-Nunez)

Subs: Adrian, Mrozek, Konate, Robertson, Bradley, Mac Allister, McConnell, Szoboszlai, Salah, Nunez, Diaz, Musialowski

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
Considering how key Mac Allister is to our midfield, I’d prefer if we didn’t use him at all today.

He’s played quite a few minutes since coming back and we’ll be very reliant on him against City’s midfield so I’d like to keep him as fresh as possible.

Offline Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
The Last Time We Met
SPARTA PRAGUE   0   -   0   LIVERPOOL
EUROPA LEAGUE OF 32
GENERALI ARENA | THU 17 FEB 2011 AT 20:05 UK LOCAL TIME

Sparta Prague
Jaromir Blazek, Ondrej Kusnir, Manuel Pamic, Erich Brabec, Tomas Repka, Andrej Keric (Libor Sionko, 73), Vaclav Kadlec (Martin Zeman, 89), Kamil Vacek, Marek Matejovsky (Tomas Pekhart, 90), Martin Achille Abena, Leony Kweuke

Liverpool
 Pepe Reina, Glen Johnson, Danny Wilson, Jamie Carragher, Sotirios Kyrgiakos, Dirk Kuyt, Maximiliano Maxi Rodriguez, Leiva Lucas, Fabio Aurelio (Joe Cole, 37), Jose Raul Meireles, David N'Gog (Martin Skrtel, 83)

Kenny Dalglish's first-ever European game in charge of Liverpool.

Liverpool Manager: Kenny Dalglish
Sparta Prague  manager: Jozef Chovanec
Referee: Meyer F (II) (Germany)
Attendance: 17,564
Half-time score: 0 - 0
Game number: 5246
Europe game number: 325

Offline Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
LIVERPOOL   1   -   0   SPARTA PRAGUE
EUROPA LEAGUE OF 32
ANFIELD | THU 24 FEB 2011 AT 18:00 UK LOCAL TIME

Liverpool 4-2-3-1
Reina; Kelly * (Carragher *, h-t), Kyrgiakos, Agger (Skrtel, 85), Wilson; Lucas *,
Poulsen * (Spearing, 65); Kuyt, Meireles, Cole; Ngog.
Subs not used
Gulacsi, Rodriguez, Jovanovic, Pacheco.

Sparta Prague 4-1-4-1
Blazek; Kusnir, Brabec, Repka, Pamic * (Keric, 90); Vacek; Sionko (Podany, 73),
Matejovsky *, Abena (Pekhart, 78), Kadlec; Kweuke *.
Subs not used Zitka, Kladrubsky, Zeman, Husek.

GOAL
Dirk Kuyt 86' (Raul Meireles)

Liverpool Manager: Kenny Dalglish
Sparta Prague manager: Jozef Chovanec
Referee: Mažic M (Serbia)
Attendance: 42,949
Half-time score: 0 - 0
Game number: 5247
Europe game number: 326
LFC played towards Kop: Second half

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
We’re riding our luck.

How long have we been riding it then? Because we are still top and have won a trophy too so ... must be VERY 'lucky'.
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Crikey that was a weak team the last time we played them! Was about to ask if Torres was rested but he’d been sold! Gerrard injured or rested. Kenny did really well in the League in that half a season but Europe was a slog. One goal here late on in the second leg and then fairly sure we failed to score home or away against Braga.

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
Crikey that was a weak team the last time we played them! Was about to ask if Torres was rested but he’d been sold! Gerrard injured or rested. Kenny did really well in the League in that half a season but Europe was a slog. One goal here late on in the second leg and then fairly sure we failed to score home or away against Braga.

You’re right Nick although I’d completely wiped that tie from my head.

We lost 1-0 in Braga and then drew another blank with a 0-0 at home. Didn’t realise the final was to be in Dublin that year as well.

Report;
Liverpool 0 Braga 0
(Braga win 1-0 on agg)

On St Patrick's Day of all days, Liverpool's road to Dublin turned into the road to nowhere last night. Ireland's first European final will boast no English team as Kenny Dalglish's hopes of guiding his side to silverware were thwarted by Braga who reached their first ever European quarter final.

Thanks for the preview. Wouldn’t fancy choosing who starts tonight with so many players coming back from injury and a massive game on Sunday. However in Jurgen I trust. 😎
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”

I had a ticket promised for Rome 77. I had a weekend job and had saved the fare.
The A level timetable was published and on the day of the game I had an exam, and an exam the day after. I was gutted. I couldn’t even go for a pint with my dad after the game. I spent some of my money saved on getting us a big reconditioned colour tele from the rental firm, to watch both the finals on.
There was one lad in our year who sacked off his A levels to go to Rome though. He was already resitting his final year, and so we heard later had to do a 4th year of 6th form. He would have been 20 when he left.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline stjohns

• ambliance or precinct we're not sure......
  • Legacy Fan
Considering how key Mac Allister is to our midfield, I’d prefer if we didn’t use him at all today.

He’s played quite a few minutes since coming back and we’ll be very reliant on him against City’s midfield so I’d like to keep him as fresh as possible.

Didn’t Mac just do the press conference with Jurgen?

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
Didn’t Mac just do the press conference with Jurgen?

Yes, he did so I'm assuming he's playing. I'd just prefer it if we didn't risk him.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
As a club we exist to win trophies. I am not sure how many more times it needs to be said.

If it was a toss up between winning this and a 'Champions' League place then I'd take this every time.

You win fuck all for being fourth or third or whatever.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
If it was a toss up between winning this and a 'Champions' League place then I'd take this every time.

You win fuck all for being fourth or third or whatever.

Yep, every day of the week.

There is a group of very talented Arsenal players who may only have google searches to show their grandkids.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.