Author Topic: Tottenham 0 V Liverpool 3 (Full Time)  (Read 71804 times)

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Tottenham 0 V Liverpool 3 (Full Time)
« Reply #240 on: August 31, 2014, 03:46:54 pm »
Amazing to be able to bring the likes of Can and Markovic off the bench. Real potential game changers.

Coutinho also didn't feature at all, and we have Lallana to come back into the squad.

What a refreshing change, and really exciting times.

Offline GerrardRock2

• Good for upset tummies.....
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • I'm muted, not sure why? Allow in-match threads
« Reply #241 on: August 31, 2014, 03:47:03 pm »
That was the biggest thing to come from this great win for me. ALL the new players looked very good and when you are talking about 6 players coming into a team performance then that is incredible.

They are ALL really good ages so they can develop and they make our squad look superb.

There were still some things to work on at the back in particular but I thought it was a really comfortable performance against a tricky opponent who were very quickly put in their place.

I thought Henderson and Gerrard were superb today. 50/50s were won at the rate of about 95/5 and Spurs midfield were made to look weak.

Balotelli also did as much as you could want from a debut bar finish it off. Very encouraging.

Gerrard looked excellent in front of the defense stopping them on a number of occasions and making some important half clearances, he cleaned up his first half and was great for the penalty.
Hendo was back to his old self after a bit of a miscue against city.

Liked everything I saw from Balo today, really hope he continues to work hard and buy-in to the system. Thought Stevie's comments were spot on after the match when that sky fuck tried to bait him in with the "has your opinion of him changed question" fuck off with your generated controversy sky.

Offline Dubai_Red

• Can smell nullshit from 4,608 miles away
  • Kopite
« Reply #242 on: August 31, 2014, 03:47:22 pm »
I thought sturridges close control and quick feet were very impressive also.

Great team performance and will only get better.

Yew go again

Ynwa

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #243 on: August 31, 2014, 03:47:35 pm »
I thought Balotelli was very clever. I don't want strikers haring after FBs, Rooney style. I want them up around the box, pinning down CBs, looking to spin off them and get in behind them, a la Sturridge and Balotelli. I thought he did well, helped the ball stick up top (a real problem V City) and created opportunities for other players around him.

At one point he casually held three players off, while standing still, then clipped a ball over the top for Sterling to run onto. If Sterling takes it first time, Sturridge is in 1 on 1. He takes a touch too many and the move braks down, but later in teh season he will nail that. It's the potential that's impressive.
Exactly my thoughts.

He played a Heskey role for us.

I don't mean that in a bad way, it's just that he caused them so many problems with his physicality.

I thought he looked very nervous, and this surprised me.

When he gets his fitness he will find his confidence too.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Kochevnik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: August 31, 2014, 03:47:59 pm »
That second half was as good as anything we put together last season (maybe barring the first 30 minutes against Arsenal).

Fullbacks bursting forward, the defense settled down after a bit of a nervy first half, and our attackers were buzzing around everywhere causing Spurs problems.  You can say the penalty was soft but it happened because we were tearing them apart in their own box and they were panicking. 

Oh, and Sterling had a chance to score the goal of the season.  If he puts that away with his left we're talking about that for quite some time, it would have ranked up there with some of John Barnes' better efforts.
Managers who have won fewer than three European Cups: Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola, Saachi, Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Clough, Happel, Trapattoni, Cruyff, Michels, Lobanovsky, Capello, and many more.
Managers who have won three or more European Cups: Bob Paisley

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: August 31, 2014, 03:48:02 pm »
Spurs had a few chances, and that's always going to happen, but I liked the way we were able to shut up shop, but not let the pressure build.  We would have shipped a goal in the final minutes last season, even though we would have gone on to win. 

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #246 on: August 31, 2014, 03:48:05 pm »
Either we regressed with only two goals or Spuds improved under Pochettino - you decide! Call 1234-5678-RAWK to cast your vote.

Local call charges apply.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #247 on: August 31, 2014, 03:48:33 pm »
If this were true, he would have one of the lowest passing accuracies in the team today, right?

*Goes and checks*

89% passing accuracy.

Of all the players who played 90 minutes, he was the second best passer in the team today

Agree with what you're saying, but I think the point he's trying to make (or at least I think he is) is that a lot of Sakho's passes play players in to trouble. That's my only slight on him today too. A couple of those attempted passes didn't get to the player and gave away possession in a dangerous position. Apart from that he was solid.
YWNA

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #248 on: August 31, 2014, 03:48:40 pm »
The thing with those of you talking about Balotelli's workrate, is that Milan started their pre-season later than us, so even though Liverpool's pre-season conditioning isn't as exacting, he still has to catch up a bit to where the other players are. This international break will be great for him. When the players come back, providing we're lucky with injuries, everyone who was fit to play today should all be up to speed.

I wouldn't want to be Villa in 2 weeks.
If he plays like that after being with us for just a week, can you imagine what he is going to be like when he really hits his straps?
That was his first competitive fixture since the World Cup and all things considered he was pretty good - he's only going to get better!
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: August 31, 2014, 03:49:57 pm »
You can't help but being optimistic. Manquillo, Lovren, Sakho and Moreno were solid. The bench looked stellar especially when you can have Can and Markovic coming on for Allen and Balotelli. No two ways about it, we're on the whole a stronger outfit than we were last season. Looking forward to a great season ahead.

And fuck all the doubters ... !!!
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline Pricey

• Might actually be Petey.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: August 31, 2014, 03:50:00 pm »
Aston Villa (Home)
West Ham (Away)
Everton (Home)
WBA (Home)
QPR (Away)
Hull (home)

Massive win today because they're our next 6 league fixtures.

Not being funny but they're all very very winnable. We'll be odds on in every game. We've got a chance to really put a run together. We did it at the back of last season and we need to do it now with that fixture list.

We've done very well to get 6 points from those 3 opening fixtures, now it's time to kick on.

Enjoy your holiday Steven  ;)

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: August 31, 2014, 03:50:09 pm »

Manquillo was effective today. hardly even notice that he's a new player, just slotted straight in- Moreno will get all the headlines but the other lad isn't too shabby-

Sterling was a constant threat, Balotelli looks like he will be a key player once he gets up to speed.

Lallana, Markovic and Coutinho in reserve

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: August 31, 2014, 03:50:42 pm »
Gerrard looked excellent in front of the defense stopping them on a number of occasions and making some important half clearances, he cleaned up his first half and was great for the penalty.
Hendo was back to his old self after a bit of a miscue against city.

Liked everything I saw from Balo today, really hope he continues to work hard and buy-in to the system. Thought Stevie's comments were spot on after the match when that sky fuck tried to bait him in with the "has your opinion of him changed question" fuck off with your generated controversy sky.
I thought Stevie's response to that question was brilliant and showed his experience. So easy to say yes to that and cause a rift or let Balotelli think he's done it already. The answer was i'll judge him on how he is with us and SO FAR he has been great.

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #253 on: August 31, 2014, 03:51:25 pm »
Was certainly a tad apprehensive for this match because Spurs are a solid outfit and we're still making adjustments but I have to say even before Kick Off a look at our bench options made me very happy and there are a few more good players not even on it! We now have a very strong squad for the first time in a long while.

As for the match; the odd mistake here and there aside, that was superb. Bossed the game away to a side that will doubtless be looking for a Top 4 spot and pretty much brushed them aside. I think they'll probably get better as the season goes on but so will we. What a great way to put a loss behind us.    :D :D :D

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #254 on: August 31, 2014, 03:51:28 pm »
Agree with what you're saying, but I think the point he's trying to make (or at least I think he is) is that a lot of Sakho's passes play players in to trouble. That's my only slight on him today too. A couple of those attempted passes didn't get to the player and gave away possession in a dangerous position. Apart from that he was solid.

Oh that I agree with. He wasn't making great decisions at times. But much like Balotelli's miscues up front, I think rustiness would be an explanation, rather than something that infects his whole game. I think if Sakho/Lovren is the partnership for the next 5 games, we'll see a massive step up in his decision making.

People talk about "match-fitness", but really, it's "match-sharpness", and I think he exhibited a lot of that, which could be evidenced by his improvement in the second half, once he got the feel for the game more.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You may say I'm a Dreamer
« Reply #255 on: August 31, 2014, 03:51:28 pm »
If this were true, he would have one of the lowest passing accuracies in the team today, right?

*Goes and checks*

89% passing accuracy.

Of all the players who played 90 minutes, he was the second best passer in the team today

Exactly.... Sakho had one or two stray passes like everyone else but Sakho is a fantastic passer of the ball, showed as much last season and the stats speak for themselves.
It was his first game back... he will only get better.

The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #256 on: August 31, 2014, 03:51:45 pm »

*Goes and checks*

89% passing accuracy.

The trouble with stats are that they hide the truth. Sakho and Lovren gave the ball away softly a couple of times and gave the ball to Spurs in dangerous places. Giving the ball away in the centre of the park and leaving yourself out numbered is far worse than giving the ball away near to the far end corner flag.

Sorry I don't see any point in looking at stats without analysing the detail. A lot of Sakho's passes were simple ones where he could hardly fail but when he did it put us immediately on the back foot. So relying on stats is no way to prove a point. He messed up on a couple of simple passes.

BTW I didn't say he had a bad game but if we want to improve as a team then we need to cut out the unforced errors that can result in pressure or goals.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 03:55:50 pm by stockdam »
#JFT97

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #257 on: August 31, 2014, 03:52:05 pm »
We can be very, very good when we click. Saw it in spells today whereas last season it was close to 90 minutes of watching Spurs begging for mercy.

Mignolet's save there to bail out Lovren's desire to win everything was another key save at 1-0 up. He keeps doing them. Can see how that centreback pair being both so aggressive can cause issues until they work it out between them. But it was fairly promising, especially how both covered for each other at times. Sakho doesn't half get some overboard shit thrown at him. I had the Sky commentary on and I'm wondering how much of it is inspired by David O'Leary (think it was his dull drone?) not rating him? Just some odd stuff driven by the odd mistake being seized on. First game back? Bit of rust the more likely explanation for the odd bad pass in the general theme of solid in possession? Mistakes enough for anyone to have a dig at both the centrebacks but David O'Leary likes the other one it seems.

Sterling excellent in spells, Sturridge hard working without individual reward today, Balotelli should have scored really but he put a proper shift in too as he dropped back to defend and Moreno. Quality goal from him. Aggressive and fearless going forward. Going to be fun watching him develop under Brendan.

Good team performance built on that midfield diamond and Spurs threw the towel in at 70 minutes. The scoreline flattered them again without us really putting in the same kind of performance we did last year. It's not a bad marker to have just now with the new players adapting and getting up to speed. Before the match, in an interview with Carra, Gerrard said that would be the challenge for us - how quickly can we get back to the level of last season with all these new players. That for me was a big step towards that.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: August 31, 2014, 03:52:15 pm »
Moreno was fantastic throughout, not just for his goal. What a player he will become. No wonder we worked so hard to get him.

Henderson must be first name on the sheet every week. Our next captain.

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #259 on: August 31, 2014, 03:52:46 pm »
Love having two proactive center-backs. Some nervous moments here and there, but no impending sense of doom that we will concede.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #260 on: August 31, 2014, 03:53:04 pm »
Yes Redmen! That'll do very nicely. Clean sheet, finished the game with five new signings bedded in. Lovely stuff!

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #261 on: August 31, 2014, 03:53:05 pm »

*Goes and checks*

89% passing accuracy.

whilst not disputing this stat, a lot of those passes were simple back wards passes to Lovren and to Mignolet.

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #262 on: August 31, 2014, 03:53:34 pm »
Heh, from a Spurs fan on th Guardian...

sadsadzoo RedandBlue5

31 August 2014 3:43pm
Recommend

12-0 aggregate in the past 3 games.

5 past AVB, 4 past Sherwood and now 3 past Pochettino.

New year, same old Spurs.

Does this mean if we change manager 3 more times we can get a 0-0?
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline GerrardRock2

• Good for upset tummies.....
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • I'm muted, not sure why? Allow in-match threads
« Reply #263 on: August 31, 2014, 03:53:50 pm »
Moreno was fantastic throughout, not just for his goal. What a player he will become. No wonder we worked so hard to get him.

Henderson must be first name on the sheet every week. Our next captain.

And, to be fair, why Sevilla tried to keep him.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #264 on: August 31, 2014, 03:53:51 pm »
The trouble with stats are that they hide the truth. Sakho and Lovren gave the ball away softly a couple of time and gave the ball to Spurs in dangerous places. Giving the ball away in the centre of the park and leaving yourself out numbered is far worse than giving the ball away near to the far end corner flag.

Sorry I don't see any point in looking at stats without analysing the detail. A lot of Sakho's passes were simple ones were he could hardly fail but when he did it put us immediately on the back foot. So relying on stats is no way to prove a point.

Here's some detail for you - Players make errant passes in bad areas, every week, in every league.

Football is a game of mistakes. Whoever makes the least and covers their own mistakes, usually wins.

We covered our mistakes. Kept a clean sheet. 3rd game in. Sakho's first of the season.

Everthing's going to be okay.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: August 31, 2014, 03:53:54 pm »
Brilliant response, great three points, Moreno wonder goal!

Spurs away could be a tough one for the other big sides go there.

6 points from our first 3 games is a good return.

No time for caution.

Offline Gerrard#1

• Playing goalie would combat his decreasing mobility, and vastly improve distribution at the back. Somebody's watching me.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: August 31, 2014, 03:54:03 pm »
Aston Villa (Home)
West Ham (Away)
Everton (Home)
WBA (Home)
QPR (Away)
Hull (home)

14+ points from them is a real possibility.
Quote from: jillc
If you ask Gerrard #1 he'll probably be able to tell us who we're getting. I hear he is good with the crystal ball.

Quote from: Gerrard#1
Coutinho is our best player he will be world class one day and will end up playing for Barca or Real.

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #267 on: August 31, 2014, 03:54:18 pm »
if we still had suarez it would have been 5-0

alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: August 31, 2014, 03:54:28 pm »
Wonderful response after the City defeat!

Great to see several players stepped up. Stevie is still a worry but thank goodness the rest of the team played well. Sterling, Sturridge and Hendo combined well. SuperMario had a good game. What a strike and run from Moreno. Sterling should have scored the goal of the month. Manquillo is solid. Sakho is still a bag of nerves. Lovren was immense. Allen did really well.

Well done, boys!

Offline andywilko

• Anny Roader
  • Thank You
« Reply #269 on: August 31, 2014, 03:54:57 pm »
Love our new full backs. Quality and energy in that position opens up more options for how we set up the rest of the team.
And with such simplicity,
The European Cup, surely, is won.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: August 31, 2014, 03:55:16 pm »
Oh that I agree with. He wasn't making great decisions at times. But much like Balotelli's miscues up front, I think rustiness would be an explanation, rather than something that infects his whole game. I think if Sakho/Lovren is the partnership for the next 5 games, we'll see a massive step up in his decision making.

People talk about "match-fitness", but really, it's "match-sharpness", and I think he exhibited a lot of that, which could be evidenced by his improvement in the second half, once he got the feel for the game more.
Still some uncertainty between them. One stepping up (Sakho), one dropping (Lovren) and of course going for the same ball and being exposed by long straight ball. Thought keeper could maybe have been out for the Adebayor one but not reviewed it.

I think we need to persevere with this defence though. Maybe the scouse-ness and enthusiasm of Flanno may give him the nod at right back but I like that back 4 as the go forward one.

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: August 31, 2014, 03:55:50 pm »
I said before the game 3-1 to Spuds because of our defence........ Sorry i apologise!!!! Luckily i am not manager!!!
Fuck off! It's not funny. Back your team to the hilt ... no matter what
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline No Appreciation of Liverpool Opposition

• Won't get out of bed for Palace. Gimme an N! Gimme a U! Gimme an M! (yet still needs it spelt out!)
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
    • My blog
« Reply #272 on: August 31, 2014, 03:56:03 pm »
when our two strikers can't finish. We have a defender a midfielder and a winger to score.
I fell in love with football as I would later fall in love with women: suddenly, uncritically, giving no thought to the pain it would bring

Gaston Ramirez.

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #273 on: August 31, 2014, 03:56:45 pm »
14+ points from them is a real possibility.

I'm going to say anywhere between 0 and 18.

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #274 on: August 31, 2014, 03:57:05 pm »
we didn't perform as well as this until quite far beyond our third game last season.

We have many gears to go up yet. We're going to get even better. Balotelli is going to start scoring. Lallana hasn't even started yet.

Fuck me what a season we're going to have

Was very wary going into this game, but it was more of the same, we're a team of cutthroats
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline monkeynuts

• Main Stander
« Reply #275 on: August 31, 2014, 03:57:57 pm »
Really good game to watch.
Hendo is a real beast of a player, i've said before he really is Gerrards successor.

Thought Allen had a decent game today. Really impressed how he seems to have stepped up this season. Great option to have.

Sakho though, needs to go back to passing school.

Offline bigbear

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: August 31, 2014, 03:58:10 pm »
if we still had suarez it would have been 5-0

If Mario was game sharp it would have been 6-0. That will come for sure.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #277 on: August 31, 2014, 03:58:19 pm »

*Goes and checks*

89% passing accuracy.

I'm a big fan of Sakho but he looked pretty ropey early on with his passing.  I can remember two in the first half, one where he lofted it square across the backline with his right foot to put us under pressure, and the other one where he rifled it into Allen when he was getting surrounded by Spurs players.  Both passes connected but they also put us in the shit.

Much better in the second half, though.  Just looked a bit rusty.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: August 31, 2014, 03:58:21 pm »
I'm going to say anywhere between 0 and 18.

How does that fence feel mate?

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #279 on: August 31, 2014, 03:59:24 pm »
We're getting worse, 5-0, 4-0, 3-0. By next year they'll be getting a nil nil, the jammy bastards.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."