Author Topic: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool Manager (ours to keep - or at least till 2018)  (Read 958698 times)

Offline Homo rubrum

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Knock it and run, son.
Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool Manager
« Reply #320 on: February 10, 2014, 09:25:45 pm »
Thanks much for managing to answer a question I thought perhaps had some nuance to it so succinctly.  And, let me say, I feel profoundly sympathetic towards your professional plight (assuming you work in England?).

Thank goodness we have American owners then, right? 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 09:29:43 pm by Homo rubrum »
And if you can do it all with a proud boner, then why the hell not?

Offline WorriedForTheLads

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #321 on: February 10, 2014, 09:27:32 pm »
This weekend just highlighted how many lights years ahead rodgers  is of david moyes.Brendan's modern approach of  possession pressing quick passing and counter attacking to david moyes hit crosses to the back post and rinse and repeat.
Don't even compare Rodgers to SPOH (Safe Pair of Hands), mate.

Offline iamrobk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #322 on: February 10, 2014, 10:07:00 pm »
Thanks much for managing to answer a question I thought perhaps had some nuance to it so succinctly.  And, let me say, I feel profoundly sympathetic towards your professional plight (assuming you work in England?).

Sure didn't help Moyeschester United! ;)

All comes down to their advisors though, and apparently we had good ones.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #323 on: February 10, 2014, 10:11:40 pm »

In addition to PoP's comments, you have remember that, in English football at least, it comes down to being a results business. With this, chairmen will usually go for what they know, the safe option, the guy that isn't brilliant but will keep you in the division by churning out a few dull wins.

It takes balls to take on young men like Rodgers or Martinez who have a footballing vision  based on progressive attacking football. Sometimes these do not always deliver results, hence Wigan being relegated and Brendan getting sacked by Reading.

Even in the first few months of 12/13 we were struggling in some games and were in the bottom half before xmas. Despite this, there were lots of positive signs - the way we were playing, the way the kids were progressing, etc.

It takes even bigger balls to keep these kind of managers in the face of bad results. Have Swansea jumped too early in sacking Laudrup? I think so, but it may well turn out that Monk does well after having been schooled by the managers he has served under.

The advantage that all the foreign managers have is that they are allowed the time to hone their craft away from the spotlight (or at least a greatly reduced one). They get sacked but they come back. If you are a progressive coach in this country, you would probably struggle once you've been sacked, whilst the average joes like fat Sam keep getting gigs. Brendan was lucky in that Swansea already had a similar vision and allowed him the chance to take it on.

I wouldn't say that Brendan's training methods are the only way (I'm sure that many other managers have their own ideas) but it is all based around your footballing philosophy and how you get the team to buy into that philosophy. I'm sure that Wenger's training sessions would revolve around technique and having the ball. Moyes' methods just reek of safety-first anti-football that his teams have played throughout his managerial career.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Austin Powers

• Fuk Mi? Fuk Yu!
  • Kopite
« Reply #324 on: February 10, 2014, 10:57:29 pm »
No talk of a new contract as of yet from the Guardian:
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/feb/10/liverpool-brendan-rodgers-managerial-contract-fenway-sports-group?CMP=twt_gu

Brendan Rodgers has yet to hear whether Liverpool's owner, Fenway Sports Group, want to extend his Anfield reign into a fourth season having entered the final 18 months of his contract.

The Liverpool manager signed a three-year deal with the option of a fourth when he joined the club from Swansea City in 2012, albeit with the option belonging to FSG. Rodgers' Anfield overhaul was illustrated emphatically on Saturday when Liverpool enhanced their Champions League qualification prospects with a 5-1 destruction of Arsenal and FSG are expected to offer a contract extension this summer.But there have been no discussions so far as Rodgers concentrates on returning Liverpool to the European elite for the first time since 2009–10.

Asked if there had been any developments on his contract, the Liverpool manager said on Monday: "Nothing whatsoever. I have, after this year, one more year to go. I have always said I am very happy here and we're just over halfway through that contract and it is not something that comes into my thinking. If I was to never get offered one, I would give my life to the last day of that contract. In the meantime, until anyone says otherwise or wants to reward the staff or myself for our work, then we keep working as normal and see where it takes us." Rodgers does not anticipate talks soon and confirmed he is unable to trigger the option of a fourth year as manager. "The option is for the club for the fourth year, but in all fairness there is a point next year where the club has to let me know whether they want to keep me on or not," he added.

"I have regular contact with the owners and it is never mentioned. I talk more about players. My ambition is more for the club so I want the players tied up so we can keep the best players and get players in. The club knows my feelings in that I love it here and hopefully – if I can progress and be good and everyone is happy – stay here. If it's not to be for the owners and they want a different direction at the end of it, I will have done my best."

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #325 on: February 10, 2014, 11:02:02 pm »
Just a gentle little reminder when he's on a high.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #326 on: February 10, 2014, 11:19:56 pm »
I really liked the fact that in his presser today Brendan reiterated his comments from when he first joined the club about wanting to be here "for a number of years". It can only be reassuring that he has nothing else on his mind other than this club for the long-term.

Offline Greebo62

• Matchday Project Manager. Amazingly Available! Apply within, ladies.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #327 on: February 11, 2014, 12:09:56 am »
Fuck it, you know what? I'm just going to say it.

We're going to win the league under Brendan Rodgers. It may not be this season, it may not even be next. But we're going to do it.

And we'll do it with both style and panache...
Believe...

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #328 on: February 11, 2014, 12:14:38 am »
And we'll do it with both style and panache...

With Ayre involved in negotiations, I think we might only end up signing one of them :D
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #329 on: February 11, 2014, 12:36:45 am »
Both their contracts will simply expire and Real Madrid will sign both of them. Ayre will claim he tried to send quarterly faxes to both Rodgers and Henderson at their last given fax number, but could never get through for some reason. He'll testify he felt snubbed and had to go for a long ride thinking about the latest commercial league signings to even get feeling better. 
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline Evening Star

• Boys Pen
« Reply #330 on: February 11, 2014, 01:39:52 am »
My first post: I'm not a Liverpool fan per se, but do have a soft spot for the club due to their great history, great teams over the years (Shankly and Bob Paisly's in particular), excellent fans, and a tradition for playing football the right way.  When I saw Rogers was the new boss, I knew finally the club had the right manager at last, a no nonsense old fashioned gaffer who sets out his stall to meet the modern games tactical demands, playing entertaining football. He did wonders at Swansea, and took on an enormous task at LFC. He said it would take time to restore the club back to her former glory, but 1.5 seasons in, you have to say he's ahead of expectations. That demolition of Arsenal was breathtaking.  He's wise enough to know that talk of the title is detrimental to the teams progress.  CL place would be a hell of an achievement this season. A shame one or two additions were not made in January, but not having European football like AFC, Chelsea and City, and the low lifes in the red part of the latter, has to be an advantage freshness wise with less games. It is one game at a time, 9 points clear of the cheats in Manchester and a better goal difference, barring any major cock ups, should see Pool safely into CL football next season. I'm sure that's what Roger's is focusing on and keeping the players grounded; anything else is a bonus. Be great to see Pool lift the title, but realistically CL 3/4 spot is most likely, then add to the squad in the summer.   

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mané & Salah, your defence is terrified!
« Reply #331 on: February 11, 2014, 01:47:41 am »
My first post: I'm not a Liverpool fan per se, but do have a soft spot for the club due to their great history, great teams over the years (Shankly and Bob Paisly's in particular), excellent fans, and a tradition for playing football the right way.  When I saw Rogers was the new boss, I knew finally the club had the right manager at last, a no nonsense old fashioned gaffer who sets out his stall to meet the modern games tactical demands, playing entertaining football. He did wonders at Swansea, and took on an enormous task at LFC. He said it would take time to restore the club back to her former glory, but 1.5 seasons in, you have to say he's ahead of expectations. That demolition of Arsenal was breathtaking.  He's wise enough to know that talk of the title is detrimental to the teams progress.  CL place would be a hell of an achievement this season. A shame one or two additions were not made in January, but not having European football like AFC, Chelsea and City, and the low lifes in the red part of the latter, has to be an advantage freshness wise with less games. It is one game at a time, 9 points clear of the cheats in Manchester and a better goal difference, barring any major cock ups, should see Pool safely into CL football next season. I'm sure that's what Roger's is focusing on and keeping the players grounded; anything else is a bonus. Be great to see Pool lift the title, but realistically CL 3/4 spot is most likely, then add to the squad in the summer.   

Welcome mate.  :)

Good post and I agree, I'd be very happy with anywhere in the top four.
Crows attacked a pensioner in Hamburg after she mimicked a crow's call.
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du

Offline swordfishtrombone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: February 11, 2014, 01:54:07 am »
I posted something similar in the Sturridge thread, but it's probably more relevant here. The way Brendan has managed Sturridge over the last couple of games has really impressed me, and seems to have been well received by him. He hauled him off in the derby with the team comfortingly ahead and Sturridge on a hattrick, presumably because he'd lost his head a bit. Then in our next home game, the situation during the match was exactly the same - we were comfortably ahead and Sturridge was on a hattrick. The obvious thing to do would be to leave him on the pitch to try and get a bit of personal glory by grabbing his third goal. Instead he substituted him again, only this time it was to a fantastic reception by the crowd. Very very clever man management, not just building Sturridge up and cementing his relationship with the fans, but also stressing that the team is more important than a bit of extra personal glory for Dan. Very very impressive.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #333 on: February 11, 2014, 01:57:40 am »
I posted something similar in the Sturridge thread, but it's probably more relevant here. The way Brendan has managed Sturridge over the last couple of games has really impressed me, and seems to have been well received by him. He hauled him off in the derby with the team comfortingly ahead and Sturridge on a hattrick, presumably because he'd lost his head a bit. Then in our next home game, the situation during the match was exactly the same - we were comfortably ahead and Sturridge was on a hattrick. The obvious thing to do would be to leave him on the pitch to try and get a bit of personal glory by grabbing his third goal. Instead he substituted him again, only this time it was to a fantastic reception by the crowd. Very very clever man management, not just building Sturridge up and cementing his relationship with the fans, but also stressing that the team is more important than a bit of extra personal glory for Dan. Very very impressive.

Whilst I agree with what you're saying - Sturridge was never on a hatrick against Arsenal.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #334 on: February 11, 2014, 02:16:41 am »
Haha let's just ignore that part ! Seems I'm still delirious from the weekend.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #335 on: February 11, 2014, 02:21:38 am »
Haha let's just ignore that part ! Seems I'm still delirious from the weekend.

You are right though, the way he has managed Sturridge recently, and other players in the past, has been exceptional.

Offline MerseysideBrum

• Legacy Fan
  • Show them the way to go ome
« Reply #336 on: February 11, 2014, 02:25:08 am »
If FSG don't give him a new contract at the end of this season they're stupid. No realistic person was expecting us to get top 4 this season really having finished 7th, the work and improvements that he has made are unbelievable.
The reds are coming up the hill boys.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #337 on: February 11, 2014, 03:18:40 am »
Sounds like they don't have to offer him a new contract if they've got the option to extend his deal for another year automatically. I'd also imagine, just like they've done with of our players over the last couple of years, that he's got some pretty significant performance related bonuses built it. Like others have said, he might want to renegotiate some other aspects - maybe improved contracts or extra job security for his backroom team, or more influence in other aspects of the club.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #338 on: February 11, 2014, 03:22:43 am »
Sounds like they don't have to offer him a new contract if they've got the option to extend his deal for another year automatically. I'd also imagine, just like they've done with of our players over the last couple of years, that he's got some pretty significant performance related bonuses built it. Like others have said, he might want to renegotiate some other aspects - maybe improved contracts or extra job security for his backroom team, or more influence in other aspects of the club.

That all seems reasonable. I think FSG are pretty diligent with in-house matters as far as I can tell so I have a lot of faith that this will get taken care of in due time and smoothly.

Offline Another Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #339 on: February 11, 2014, 03:26:35 am »
Brendan Rodgers is a fast learner and lowering expectations is something he is starting to do quite well. I believe that is hugely important for a club like Liverpool, with it's history of achievement and ambitious supporters. In the wake of our 5-1 annihilation of Arsenal, Rodgers was  asked if Liverpool could win the title. His response was "we want to finish as high as we possibly can". Disguising our ambitions in such a way takes the pressure off the team and supporters alike. Compare this to Gerrard's comments around Christmas time when he said missing out on the top 4 would be a massive disappointment for the club. We followed up those comments with two successive defeats albeit away to the two strongest title contenders. I think Gerrard should avoid making such proclamations in future.

Two days later and Jose Mourinho (the man who Rodgers would probably love to emulate at press his conferences) is up to his usual tricks. Mourinho once again identified us as contenders for the title ahead of a potentially tricky away trip to Fulham. Once again, the pressure is back on Liverpool. Should we win away at Craven Cottage, no doubt Rodgers will be again downplaying our title chances.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #340 on: February 11, 2014, 03:38:51 am »
Brendan Rodgers is a fast learner and lowering expectations is something he is starting to do quite well. I believe that is hugely important for a club like Liverpool, with it's history of achievement and ambitious supporters. In the wake of our 5-1 annihilation of Arsenal, Rodgers was  asked if Liverpool could win the title. His response was "we want to finish as high as we possibly can". Disguising our ambitions in such a way takes the pressure off the team and supporters alike. Compare this to Gerrard's comments around Christmas time when he said missing out on the top 4 would be a massive disappointment for the club. We followed up those comments with two successive defeats albeit away to the two strongest title contenders. I think Gerrard should avoid making such proclamations in future.

Two days later and Jose Mourinho (the man who Rodgers would probably love to emulate at press his conferences) is up to his usual tricks. Mourinho once again identified us as contenders for the title ahead of a potentially tricky away trip to Fulham. Once again, the pressure is back on Liverpool. Should we win away at Craven Cottage, no doubt Rodgers will be again downplaying our title chances.

The only thing Rodgers wants to emulate from Mourinho is his trophy wins, I'd say.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #341 on: February 11, 2014, 08:16:10 am »
I'm glad Brendan is starting to lower expectations as it seems every time he talks up the team we almost always seem to lose points in the very next game.

Offline lindylou100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: February 11, 2014, 08:51:28 am »
He's been working on emphasizing his cheek bones this season. Only the managers with high cheekbones make it onto our banners. ;)

Offline Evening Star

• Boys Pen
« Reply #343 on: February 11, 2014, 09:55:25 am »
Welcome mate.  :)

Good post and I agree, I'd be very happy with anywhere in the top four.

Cheers, mate. I think top four would be a great result as well. Anything can happen, the title is a genuine possibility, but I'd see that as an added bonus when the luck part plays a huge role in close contests that we finally have this year; keeping the focus on a top four finish is paramount. The Fulham game will be interesting; a result in that one will be massive. Dropping points against Villa (though a great come back) and WBA shows nothing can be taken for granted, and lets hope the champagne after what can only be described as a total massacre on Saturday, is well drank and forgotten and the focus is on just getting a win and the three points in the bag. But I have to laugh at Sagna's comments prior to the Liverpool game; he said this was time for Arsenal to show their title credentials and felt confident of getting a result at Anfield. Looking at his head   

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #344 on: February 11, 2014, 10:05:56 am »
With Ayre involved in negotiations, I think we might only end up signing one of them :D
;D
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #345 on: February 11, 2014, 10:16:52 am »
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool/applause-for-brendan-rodgers-david-moyes-could-learn-a-lot-from-liverpool-boss-29997451.html

Applause for Brendan Rodgers: David Moyes could learn a lot from Liverpool boss

It was just after Liverpool's fourth goal in an exhilarating 19 minute spell against Arsenal on Saturday. Brendan Rodgers lifted his arms to the heavens and flashed the broadest of smiles.

This was his team, playing his way and playing it to perfection. This was exactly what the Carnlough native had imagined when he agreed to become manager of Liverpool Football Club.

This was the 'death by football' he demanded as early as his first day in the job.

And this was made all the sweeter by the fact that the opposition was Arsenal.

Two years previously I had sat in Brendan's small, windowless office at the Liberty Stadium when he was in charge of Swansea.

We were chatting about other clubs when Arsenal cropped up in conversation.

Rodgers talked admiringly about Arsene Wenger and the footballing philosophy the Frenchman had instilled throughout the Emirates.

It appealed to the natural born leader in Brendan... a man with the personality and drive to encourage and inspire others to follow him.

At the time he was doing it at Swansea, and even though it was only his first season as a Premier League boss, you knew here was a man destined for bigger things.

His chance came that summer when Kenny Dalglish was sacked by Liverpool's American owners and Rodgers, then 39, was chosen to replace him.

Brendan may have been considered the Prince of Wales by Swansea supporters for leading them into the top flight, but most Liverpool fans did not believe he was fit to replace the King, suggesting he didn't have enough experience, had little pedigree or wasn't a big enough name.

The truth is had Pep Guardiola taken over from Dalglish he would have beet met with some resistance such was the devotion towards Kenny on the Kop.

It didn't help Brendan that with so many of Dalglish's old pals working as television pundits, they weren't shy in sticking the boot in when positive results were hard to come by early on as the new boss attempted to put his stamp on the team.

Rodgers, though, knowing that the squad he inherited was nowhere near good enough, stood firm and to his credit never flinched in how he wanted his team to play... pressing and passing... passing and pressing with solidity at the back and style in attack.

Slowly he recruited players meeting his standards, and sold others who didn't, and in the latter part of his first season victories followed even without the suspended Luis Suarez, who had bitten off a bit more than he could chew.

Rodgers came through a testing time in his debut campaign as boss of a worldwide sporting institution and look at him now in season number two.

Manchester United manager David Moyes and the club's supporters would do well to learn from the experience of their biggest rivals. It can take time to get it right.

When Rodgers was being criticised, crucially he never lost faith in himself. Moyes must do the same, otherwise he might as well walk away from Old Trafford right now.

Brendan has gone from being doubted and mocked to being feted and hailed in the space of a year.

Good guy he may be, but he's hard too and as determined as they come, illustrated by his tough tackling of Suarez in the summer when the Uruguayan was shouting to all and sundry about his desire to leave Liverpool.

Rodgers didn't wilt under pressure, the player remained and has flourished since coming back from his ban.

The 41-year-old fluent Spanish speaker has transformed Suarez from a gifted but dangerous individual to a selfless and sensational performer mentioned in the same breath as Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo!

Jordan Henderson and Daniel Sturridge have also flourished under his guidance while Philippe Coutinho and Raheem Sterling are two young talents blossoming before our very eyes.

Then there's Steven Gerrard, or 'the ultimate' as his manager was described him to me in his Liverpool office (much bigger than the one at Swansea and with windows), who is playing wonderfully well in a new deeper position specifically chosen by the boss.

There have been some stunning performances from Liverpool this season, at home to Everton and away to Spurs in particular, but the best came on Saturday in that breathtaking 5-1 thumping of Arsenal, the long time Premier League leaders with the best defensive record in England who had not lost at Anfield in the league for seven years.

How Liverpool dismantled the Gunners reminded me of how Dalglish's great 1987-88 team containing John Barnes, Peter Beardsley, John Aldridge and co devastated opponents on their way to title success.

Rodgers may be right in saying that Liverpool won't win the Premier League this season with Chelsea and Manchester City so strong, but fourth place and Champions League football next season is now theirs for the taking, which would represent a successful campaign, with the promise of better to come for the Anfield outfit.

In recent years when Liverpool were a mess on and off the field, all the fans had was faint hope in their hearts that things would turn.

Brendan Rodgers has given them belief as well.

Offline Another Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: February 11, 2014, 11:34:15 am »
The only thing Rodgers wants to emulate from Mourinho is his trophy wins, I'd say.

In an interview earlier this season, Rodgers alluded to the fact that he was not as good as Mourinho at handling the media. That's where the comparison came from. Don't ask me to find the quote. Also, both managers have moved quickly to downplay their team's title hopes following convincing wins on the weekend. Mourinho is as cunning as a fox. In fact, I'd describe him as Machiavellian. It may not be an admirable trait, but it has helped him win a lot of trophies as you said.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #347 on: February 11, 2014, 11:35:52 am »
In an interview earlier this season, Rodgers alluded to the fact that he was not as good as Mourinho at handling the media. That's where the comparison came from. Don't ask me to find the quote. Also, both managers have moved quickly to downplay their team's title hopes following convincing wins on the weekend. Mourinho is as cunning as a fox. In fact, I'd describe him as Machiavellian. It may not be an admirable trait, but it has helped him win a lot of trophies as you said.

There is a massive massive difference between downplaying their teams title hopes, and what Mourinho does.

If Rodgers ever starts to spout the same sort of bile and shite that Mourinho does then it'll be a very sad day.

Offline RedMichelFerri

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone - Liverpool till I die
« Reply #348 on: February 11, 2014, 11:51:44 am »
I don't think this will go easy with some of posters here but for me Rodgers ideas are very similar to Rafa but with Rodger putting more emphasis on Technical players.

1) Both want their teams to press high up.
2) Their team transition from defense to attack very quickly when they win the ball from opposition (Rodgers team to more devastating effect with the pace and technical level they we have).
3) Both are ready to learn from mistakes and make changes accordingly.

But there is some fundamental difference which I think makes Rodgers team more dangerous

1) He doesn't trade technical ability for work rate which Rafa did on few occasions.
2) He is does not change his tactics based on opposition that drastically.

I think we have got a great manager here who can make us better and better with time. Now time for yanks to give him new big contract.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.”

- Rafa Benitez : RIP Ray.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #349 on: February 11, 2014, 11:56:42 am »
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool/applause-for-brendan-rodgers-david-moyes-could-learn-a-lot-from-liverpool-boss-29997451.html
Not impressed with that article. Think it shoehorns it's premise into reality. When Dalglish was sacked after losing Rafa Benitez a man that with the right backing had us right back on our perch, Rodgers appointment was met with caution. Many were pissed off with Dalglish's sacking but most were willing to give Rodgers a chance. David Moyses can have all the tenacity and self belief of Rodgers but it will do him no good as he is rigid in his philosophy of how the game is played and that is the problem not self belief.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline Cadno

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: February 11, 2014, 12:01:49 pm »
I don't think Mourinho is cunning at all, Mourinho is as transparent as transparent can be.  He just knows what they press want and feeds the monkeys at their typewriters exactly what they want. 
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"  - Albert Einstein

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain(Was talking about H&G)

"When you can't walk, you crawl. When you can't crawl, you get a friend to carry you" - Firefly

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #351 on: February 11, 2014, 12:02:39 pm »
I don't think this will go easy with some of posters here but for me Rodgers ideas are very similar to Rafa but with Rodger putting more emphasis on Technical players.

1) Both want their teams to press high up.
2) Their team transition from defense to attack very quickly when they win the ball from opposition (Rodgers team to more devastating effect with the pace and technical level they we have).
3) Both are ready to learn from mistakes and make changes accordingly.

But there is some fundamental difference which I think makes Rodgers team more dangerous

1) He doesn't trade technical ability for work rate which Rafa did on few occasions.

I think we have got a great manager here who can make us better and better with time. Now time for yanks to give him new big contract.

The biggest difference is that Rafa would always shoe-horn players into his system, whereas Rodgers is flexible enough to bend the system to suit the best XI he has available. No need to look further than the 3 at the back with SAS up top experiment

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #352 on: February 11, 2014, 12:11:31 pm »
Turning into a Rafa v Rodgers thread but the team of 08/09 would easily deal with our current one.

Whats exciting is Rodgers is always talking about investing in attack, so I look forward to these signings in the summer!

Offline Kadian

• Trolling along... The Specious One. Whistles the Liquidator as he types disparaging comments about Mario Balotelli So utterly predictable, Moreno's best mate
  • Legacy Fan
  • We're coming
« Reply #353 on: February 11, 2014, 12:15:57 pm »

So who do you support?

Offline exiledinyorkshire

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: February 11, 2014, 12:20:29 pm »
Not impressed with that article. Think it shoehorns it's premise into reality. When Dalglish was sacked after losing Rafa Benitez a man that with the right backing had us right back on our perch, Rodgers appointment was met with caution. Many were pissed off with Dalglish's sacking but most were willing to give Rodgers a chance. David Moyses can have all the tenacity and self belief of Rodgers but it will do him no good as he is rigid in his philosophy of how the game is played and that is the problem not self belief.

I agree that the premise is wrong. Rodgers and Moyse Philosophies are a million miles apart. If Moyse appeared to be trying to implement the same progressive football agenda that Brendan has espoused for years then he would deserve to be backed.

Cant agree that Rafa had us back on our perch though mate. I wish he had got another season but he wasn't bringing us this kind of football. It would appear that Rodgers in his second season is going to have us possibly putting in a title challenge. You cant fault that in anyway shape or form. Think personally if he gets us top 4 or higher he has done better than Rafa's second season.

Never take away the cup finals and the silverware from our man, but 6 seasons and one genuine title tilt wasn't perch material in the league I'm afraid to say.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #355 on: February 11, 2014, 12:29:09 pm »
I agree that the premise is wrong. Rodgers and Moyse Philosophies are a million miles apart. If Moyse appeared to be trying to implement the same progressive football agenda that Brendan has espoused for years then he would deserve to be backed.

Cant agree that Rafa had us back on our perch though mate. I wish he had got another season but he wasn't bringing us this kind of football. It would appear that Rodgers in his second season is going to have us possibly putting in a title challenge. You cant fault that in anyway shape or form. Think personally if he gets us top 4 or higher he has done better than Rafa's second season.

Never take away the cup finals and the silverware from our man, but 6 seasons and one genuine title tilt wasn't perch material in the league I'm afraid to say.

If he'd have been backed After Athens our 2nd European Cup Final in three years, when he wanted Silva, Martinez etc who knows where we'd be. One thing is sure you can't build a dynasty when you have a civil war foisted on you but lets agree to disagree mate otherwise this will turn into a Rafa Vs Rodgers thread and as a big supporter of both managers that's the last thing I want.

This is about Rodgers ;D
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #356 on: February 11, 2014, 12:36:53 pm »

One thing I would say is that Rafa looked to fit players into his formation & system, whereas Brendan has often looked at his resources and changed the formation & system accordingly. Thus the change to 3-5-2 & 4-4-2 to accommodate Sturridge & Suarez up front. Both approaches have pros and cons. Rafa's methods worked less well when having to put players out of position and Brendan's deviations from 4-3-3 cost us at the Emirates and at home vs Villa (both times overrun in midfield).

Brendan seems to be learning quickly in this respect. Even though we played the same team vs Villa, Everton & Arsenal (apart from Johnson) we have gone back to 4-3-3 but he has made subtle changes and, whilst Suarez played slightly out of position, he continued to be a threat. Gerrard's mistakes in bombing forward early on against Villa have been fixed.

More often that not, the tactics are right, though sometimes the execution has not always gone to plan. We did everything right against City apart from score more goals (esp Coutinho to make it 2-1, and Sterling missing an equaliser), and it was our defensive mistakes that let us down. Against Chelsea we suffered a dip and didn't play our game after going ahead.

The dips are something we just have to deal with taking into account where we are as a side and where Brendan is in terms of experience. It'll be frustrating nonetheless, but hopefully we won't have too many of those for the rest of the season.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #357 on: February 11, 2014, 12:44:42 pm »
The biggest difference is that Rafa would always shoe-horn players into his system, whereas Rodgers is flexible enough to bend the system to suit the best XI he has available. No need to look further than the 3 at the back with SAS up top experiment

Thanks for beating me to it, I obviously spent too long writing my post!!! :)

Another great thing I heard was Brendan's comments re Moyes. Whilst his tone was friendly and complimentary, I loved what he said about him taking over from Kenny, saying that we were in 8th, whereas Man U were the champions. Nice little dig, just put a little more pressure on Moyes!

Offline MiserableP15

• Liable to get overexcited at the site of opposition goalie's rear
  • Legacy Fan
  • Certified thread killer - Best on the web.
« Reply #358 on: February 11, 2014, 12:57:46 pm »

We all thought Brendan was rigid in his philosophy, and as has been pointed out many times, he has become quite the pragmatist. Who's to say Golom won't do the same?    :lmao

Anyway, I agree with you, but the more positive press out there suggesting Moyes be given time the better. :)
"So Bierhoff’s got a short time to press his claims, now that the other two strikers who started the match have both been taken off……Kuntz."

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #359 on: February 11, 2014, 01:16:53 pm »
Rodgers has turned my opinion of him, absolutely he has.

Not ashamed to say at the start of last season I wasnt fussed on him, this is Rodgers himself rather than his ability as a manager you understand.

I thought he was trying far too hard to sound like how he thought we wanted a Liverpool manager to sound. The Shankly quotes, the references to how 'special' we are. He was trotting out every line in the book. It felt forced.

And honestly it turned me off him. He was selling himself to us and I wasnt buying.

My word hasnt that changed though? I mean, maybe its just my perceptions but it certainly seems to me as if he's so much more comfortable in the job now, in himself. And it shows just about every time he opens his mouth.

He's not trying to impress us with words anymore, he's doing it with actions. This is how managers connect themselves to ourselves as a fanbase, through deeds. Not through promises and whispering sweet nothings in our ears.

Rodgers is doing the business on the pitch, which is in turn making him much more at ease off it. He's taking on all comers now, he's confident in voicing his own opinion rather than just what he thinks we want to hear.

The man is every inch a Liverpool manager. We're lucky to have him.