Author Topic: The Level 3 Thread  (Read 1190243 times)

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Level 3 thread
« Reply #8320 on: October 15, 2009, 03:09:47 pm »

not sure what would possibly have gone wrong under king kenny but he went to juve because they offered him four times as much as us in wages.
Oh, I meant Kenny as a player, not manager. Laudrup was about to sign for us as a teenager in the early 80's, when we already had Dalglish playing behind Rush. Not sure you could play both of them in the same team, and that probably would've hindered Laudrup's development. Didn't know about the wages, I guess that played a (huge) part in his decision.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #8321 on: October 15, 2009, 03:20:16 pm »
Oh, I meant Kenny as a player, not manager. Laudrup was about to sign for us as a teenager in the early 80's, when we already had Dalglish playing behind Rush. Not sure you could play both of them in the same team, and that probably would've hindered Laudrup's development. Didn't know about the wages, I guess that played a (huge) part in his decision.

we could have lined up with a 4-2-3-1 with laudrup as one of the three and kenny in the middle playing off rushie.  back to the future.

a class act and no mistake.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #8322 on: October 15, 2009, 03:25:32 pm »
im sure the wages played a big part, was a genius on the ball, remember seeing him absolutely run riot against Barcelona for Real Madrid just after he moved between the clubs, even Cruyff could not say a bad word about him that night. Ahh the memories..
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Roger Federer

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8323 on: October 15, 2009, 03:28:25 pm »
Perhaps, but Laudrup was the sort of player you'd like in the middle of the pitch, and not restricted on the wing. Even if you have freedom to move inside, you'll still be limited in comparision to the free role behind the striker, the role Laudrup used to have for both club and country. And with Laudrup's extraordinary vision and playmaking abilities, you don't want to limit him in any way.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #8324 on: October 15, 2009, 05:39:01 pm »
Perhaps, but Laudrup was the sort of player you'd like in the middle of the pitch, and not restricted on the wing. Even if you have freedom to move inside, you'll still be limited in comparision to the free role behind the striker, the role Laudrup used to have for both club and country. And with Laudrup's extraordinary vision and playmaking abilities, you don't want to limit him in any way.

would you have dropped dalglish for laudrup?

Offline Roger Federer

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8325 on: October 15, 2009, 05:50:12 pm »
No. Which is why I said from the beginning that Laudrup's move to Juve probably worked out best for him in the end.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #8326 on: October 15, 2009, 05:57:18 pm »
No. Which is why I said from the beginning that Laudrup's move to Juve probably worked out best for him in the end.

or - given that we clearly wanted to sign him - look at a formation that included them both.

i think laurdrup was one of the best players of his generation who knows what luster he could have added at anfield.

Offline Roger Federer

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8327 on: October 15, 2009, 06:21:11 pm »
or - given that we clearly wanted to sign him - look at a formation that included them both.

i think laurdrup was one of the best players of his generation who knows what luster he could have added at anfield.
So do I. I would've loved to see him at Anfield, but don't know if the timing would've been right, that is all.

Still don't think he was someone to be played on the wing, but if we - like Juve - had a deal to loan him out for a season or two, he could have taken over from Kenny when he gradually steped down in -85 onwards. Who knows, we might have talked today about Laudrup-Barnes-Aldridge instead of Beardsley then, but the trio we did end up with worked out pretty well anyway - to say the least.

Offline Varmenni

• Main Stander
« Reply #8328 on: October 15, 2009, 06:43:13 pm »
Preben Elkjær Larsen, my all time favorite player.  Have to say that I see a bit of him in Torres.  Not the best dribbler but still quite skillful, full of self belief and determination.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8329 on: October 15, 2009, 10:05:00 pm »
Didn't that Danish side beat Uruguay 6-1 in the 86 world cup and really look the part but then just go out quietly. Both Laudrups were quality.

royhendo

« Reply #8330 on: October 15, 2009, 10:07:44 pm »
I've got happy memories of that Danish side cos they were in our group in 86 and Laudrup snr was on fire. Jesper Olsen, remember him?

Blackshuck, I've now got The Darkness rampaging through my mind, but regardless welcome aboard the good ship dude.

How are we feeling about Soonalan?

royhendo

« Reply #8331 on: October 15, 2009, 10:09:32 pm »

Never. Laudrup rotated in fir the Milk Cup games.

Offline blackshuck

• Boys Pen
  • Wishes European football was on at a decent time
« Reply #8332 on: October 16, 2009, 01:26:01 am »
Cheers for the welcome Roy.   :)  Allow the rampage to continue!  What a band they were!   ;D

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm guessing you mean Sunderland?

Surely Agger has to play? After playing 2 x 90 minutes for Denmark.  He should be able to match it with Bent who has been in good form this season.Who would you drop out or Carra or Skrtel? 

And Aurelio to start as well?  Insua has to come back from duty with the Argies....was glad in a way he started against Peru...shows the amount of progress he has made under Rafa.

And now as we first feared Gerrard and/or Torres may not play!  Wouldn't mind seeing N'gog get a start if this is the case, so possibly a 4-4-2 with Riera and Benayoun out wide?

Oh and how nice of the drunkard to send Defour a get well note... :-X...what a kind, caring manager.  If only Rafa was such a good man manager  ::)

Also that feature on the 80's Denmark side was brilliant.  Made for good reading on the train trip home.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8333 on: October 16, 2009, 12:10:33 pm »
Dont know what it is but when International break comes around, I can never seem to muster any energy to talk about Football.....oh well.

Its going to be amazing to see how the guys deal with some pretty big adversity this weekend. Must win game and probably without their 2 stars...ouch.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #8334 on: October 16, 2009, 12:17:32 pm »
Be lovely to see Babel start on the right wouldn't it? (And Benayoun on the left)
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8335 on: October 16, 2009, 12:26:39 pm »
^ I was more thinking of playing Ryan as the lone striker. Giving him that ultimate chance to say to everyone that he can perform when given the chance to play where he wants to play.

Kuyt behind him to be the workhorse and Yossi right, Riera left. Nothing to lose and everything to gain.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 12:28:13 pm by b_joseph »

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8336 on: October 16, 2009, 12:40:47 pm »
^ I was more thinking of playing Ryan as the lone striker. Giving him that ultimate chance to say to everyone that he can perform when given the chance to play where he wants to play.

Kuyt behind him to be the workhorse and Yossi right, Riera left. Nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Forget the workhorse thing.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8337 on: October 16, 2009, 01:03:49 pm »
How was Babel in the Australia-Holland match? Did anyone see it?

Offline Roger Federer

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8338 on: October 16, 2009, 01:49:17 pm »
Be lovely to see Babel start on the right wouldn't it? (And Benayoun on the left)
If Torres and Gerrard are fit, I would like to see that as well. Kuyt is out of form at the moment, while Babel has improved and made an impact every game, when coming off the bench. That should be rewarded with a start.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8339 on: October 16, 2009, 01:53:42 pm »
If Torres and Gerrard are fit, I would like to see that as well. Kuyt is out of form at the moment, while Babel has improved and made an impact every game, when coming off the bench. That should be rewarded with a start.

That's right. Let's get a team of footballers out there. (Sorry, memory just been jogged by the McManaman thread when our right winger wasn't in the team to stop the opposition playing)

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #8340 on: October 16, 2009, 02:05:47 pm »
It's a great test for us this weekend.  Two major players out.

Time for the fringe players to show us what they are about.  Babel, Ngog in particular.

Agree with Babel on the right.  In addition to Riera on the left with Benayoun pulling the strings in between.  Those two on the flanks should make the pitch big enough when we are in possession.  Kuyt can be the battering ram up front.

Offline Roger Federer

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8341 on: October 16, 2009, 02:19:41 pm »
That's right. Let's get a team of footballers out there. (Sorry, memory just been jogged by the McManaman thread when our right winger wasn't in the team to stop the opposition playing)
Yeah, I've been on youtube the last hour looking at clips of McManaman thanks to that thread. Fantastic player, and a dream to have someone like him on the right (or left).

Offline Joe_Singh

• Legacy Fan
  • My idea is always to win trophies, not just games
    • Joe Singh
« Reply #8342 on: October 16, 2009, 03:18:44 pm »
It's a great test for us this weekend.  Two major players out.

Time for the fringe players to show us what they are about.  Babel, Ngog in particular.

Agree with Babel on the right.  In addition to Riera on the left with Benayoun pulling the strings in between.  Those two on the flanks should make the pitch big enough when we are in possession.  Kuyt can be the battering ram up front.

Although there is a lot of doom and gloom over our main 2 players, there is something in my gut saying we're gonna be OK. I just think that the fringe players like Babel will deliver. I just hope I haven't jinxed it.
What I love about this, and several other of Kenny's press conferences, is that he manages to say something to the effect of  'Shut the fuck up, you fucking helmets and don't fuck with me or my football club or I'll make you eat your own balls', without actually using th

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8343 on: October 16, 2009, 03:34:46 pm »
we'll be fine, its time for the young lads up front to step up, im sure they can
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8344 on: October 16, 2009, 03:48:11 pm »
Although there is a lot of doom and gloom over our main 2 players, there is something in my gut saying we're gonna be OK. I just think that the fringe players like Babel will deliver. I just hope I haven't jinxed it.

Well, if it goes tits up we're going to blame you Joe.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #8345 on: October 16, 2009, 05:45:22 pm »

will he start after a long trip back from oz?  i think n'gog will be up front on his own with perhaps benny in behind him - personally i think its his natural position.

whatever the team we've beaten bigger sides than sunderland without nando and stevie g though that twat bruce has an annoyingly good record against us.

Offline Slave

• shit joker - shit vicki vale too
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mmm, angel cake.
« Reply #8346 on: October 16, 2009, 06:02:26 pm »

How long is this myth going to perpetuate and what does Kuyt have to do to get given some credit?

If you compare his goals and assists with any other right-sided player in the league from last season, he comes out favourably. Only Ronaldo tops him and he was deployed as a striker a lot of the time and was you know the Ballon d'Or winner.

In his career at Liverpool he's scored only 4 less goals than Lampard, a man who takes Chelsea's penalties and the majority of their free-kicks and who quite rightly is considered a great goal getter. He has achieved that while also being, as you say, a workhorse, someone who never shirks his defensive responsibilities. He never gets injured, never gets booked, is decent in possession, has great stamina and considering he rarely gets dropped, must carry out Rafa's orders to a tee.

Or we could buy Nani, he's a proper footballer he is, step overs and everything.
It is most odd.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8347 on: October 16, 2009, 06:31:46 pm »
will he start after a long trip back from oz?  i think n'gog will be up front on his own with perhaps benny in behind him - personally i think its his natural position.
That's a fair point - although it might not be enough to rule Kuyt out (presuming he made the same trip). If N'Gog plays it will be the biggest game of his career.
How long is this myth going to perpetuate and what does Kuyt have to do to get given some credit?

To be fair he gets loads of credit - although, it's true, I rarely give him any  :lickin.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #8348 on: October 16, 2009, 07:12:43 pm »
That's a fair point - although it might not be enough to rule Kuyt out (presuming he made the same trip). If N'Gog plays it will be the biggest game of his career.
To be fair he gets loads of credit - although, it's true, I rarely give him any  :lickin.

they played a half each.  given injuries to torres and gerrard we might see both babel and kuyt play but i can't imagine them both starting more likely babel getting 20 minutes at the end.

it will indeed be a biggy for n'gog but we didn't buy another striker this summer and he's had the least to do in the international break.  he can score, he's mobile and i think he has rafa's faith.

still will it surprise any of us if dirk does play up front on his own?  not his forte as far as i'm concerned though i do have a bit more love for the big man than yorky.

i fucking hate steve bruce though.  like real seething hatred.  probably more than any other ex-manc so please let us stuff them back into their mackem hole.

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8349 on: October 16, 2009, 07:21:41 pm »

Shouldn't be an issue really youd think. They've been back a good while now.

I'd like to see Yossi used there too, but Rafa always seems very reluctant to play him there, so I'm expecting Babel and Dirk up top, with Riera and Yossi on the wings.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #8350 on: October 17, 2009, 12:32:24 am »
We're not using the V word 'round these parts then?

What was it, about two years ago? The Fathead manc twat took Birmingham to Anfield and it was Kuyt and Voronin up front.

I am fucking miserable about this game already.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline blackshuck

• Boys Pen
  • Wishes European football was on at a decent time
« Reply #8351 on: October 17, 2009, 02:34:15 am »
It'd be interesting to see if the Voronator does get a start Juan.

Babel didn't set the world alight in the game against us Aussies.  He only played the second half.  He didn't give the ball away too much, which is one of my biggest gripes with him actually. A couple of good runs/crosses but nothing we haven't really seen before.  He did seem to have a bit more confidence in his ability they we are used to.

I'm liking the call of Benny in behind either N'gog or Kuyt.  Actually I would love to see N'gog start and bag a brace....

Offline Degs

• sy's midnight runners.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8352 on: October 17, 2009, 11:26:16 am »
Spearing and Babel for me but Voronin's cameos this season do deserve a call up. He's always made something different happen.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8353 on: October 17, 2009, 12:10:48 pm »
Sorry that my posts atm read a bit like 'Dad, dad, how do you spell such-and-such?' 'Look it up in the dictionary,' being the expected reply. However, just read in the Telegraph that l'il Lucas was - and I quote - 'outstanding' for Brazil in mid-week. So, Dad, dad - did any of you see the match? (Or even better, anyone know a place to catch the highlights?)

Offline scatman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8354 on: October 17, 2009, 01:55:36 pm »
not sure triple6 i didnt actually even look for any international results this week or any of our players performances

Offline Degs

• sy's midnight runners.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8355 on: October 17, 2009, 02:10:19 pm »
Spearing and Babel for me but Voronin's cameos this season do deserve a call up. He's always made something different happen.

The Reds XI in full is: Reina, Johnson, Aurelio, Carragher, Skrtel, Agger, Lucas, Spearing, Benayoun, Babel, Kuyt. Subs: Cavalieri, Voronin, Riera, Mascherano, Insua, Ngog, Kelly.

Time for these 2 to do the business, hope Babel is upfront and Kuyt is on the right.

-------------Skrtel----Carra----Agger------------
Johnson------------------------------------Aurelio

---------------Spearing----------Lucas------------
---------------------Benayoun---------------------

-----------------Kuyt---------Babel----------------

Perhaps?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 02:12:52 pm by Degs »

Offline liverbnz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8356 on: October 17, 2009, 02:16:03 pm »
Call Degs!
One thing you will discover is that life is based less than you think on what you've learned, and much more than you think on what you have inside you from the very beginning

Offline Degs

• sy's midnight runners.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8357 on: October 17, 2009, 04:37:35 pm »
I wanted Babel to start to see if he could rise ot the challenge of filling in Torres' boots.

His Liverpool career:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/IkJqKOb0ZhY&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/IkJqKOb0ZhY&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;</a>

He was stuck on the left again but couldn't even be arsed running.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 04:43:22 pm by Degs »

Offline scatman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8358 on: October 17, 2009, 05:15:20 pm »
was a shoddy performance from the team, last 5 minutes they decided to play, only johnson looked alright, the referees performance also irked me, im getting generally pissed off the with the level of officiating in the league now, it is getting fucking annoying to the point of wanting to murder them.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8359 on: October 17, 2009, 05:23:32 pm »
Not sure about level 3, because today we looked like we play in Division 3.

Absolutely awful. The defence looked shit. The midfield looked shit. The attackers looked shit. Everyone in our team was just shit.