Author Topic: THE BEATLES - 8 Days/Week & GET BACK (page 2 onwards)  (Read 28014 times)

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
Re: THE BEATLES - 8 Days a Week Premiere
« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2021, 10:42:26 pm »
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2021, 01:06:55 am »
John Harris's 15 minute film which teases 'Get Back' is lovely:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/nov/18/paul-mccartney-get-back-beatles-peter-jackson-rooftop-farewell-fab-four

Oh my god. Chomping at the bit here. What a cracking whetting of the appetite that is. Terrific. Cheers Yorky lad.

;D

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2021, 12:19:48 pm »
So my sister randomly sent me this as a present which just helps to build the excitement for Get Back

"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2021, 12:33:55 pm »
Beautiful.

I can't wait for this doc. So many top class people involved in its making and the bits of studio footage which have been released look like they were shot yesterday. Jackson did a wonderful job restoring and colourising First World War footage a few years back. Familiar images suddenly became intimate and powerful in ways you couldn't imagine. Here, I guess, he's working with 16mm film and so the job is much easier. But even so what a bloody treat.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2021, 01:45:45 pm »
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2021, 02:13:10 pm »
Looking forward to it. On Disney+ here.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2021, 03:45:37 pm »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2021, 09:54:33 pm »
Great stuff.

Although if that fella right at the end was such a big fan he should’ve taken off his flip flops

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #88 on: November 21, 2021, 12:24:44 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/XiTvloQAgl0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/XiTvloQAgl0</a>

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #89 on: November 21, 2021, 08:42:19 am »
It's like Martin Scorsese has used some modern deepfake technology to make a questionable 'what if' docu-film about 'The lost year of the Beatles'. But it's actually fucking real. Not to get too melodramatic but I welled up in one of the trailers.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #90 on: November 21, 2021, 10:50:42 am »
While its three parts were originally announced to span six hours, the series will clock in at close to eight, Collider can exclusively reveal. Peter Jackson confirmed the runtime in an upcoming interview with Collider, which will be available to watch in the coming days.

Episode-specific timings are as follows:

Part one is 157 minutes.
Part two is 173 minutes.
Part three is 138 minutes.

I know what you're thinking - a Peter Jackson three part series that far exceeds it's anticipated length? Surely you jest.

Love it. Can't wait for the extended cuts.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: November 21, 2021, 12:19:55 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/XiTvloQAgl0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/XiTvloQAgl0</a>

Nice one Terry. It looks like the real work has been done on the sound since Jackson's team figured out a way to separate mono tracks into component parts and isolate the individual voices of the Beatles. The footy equivalent I suppose would be someone in 50 years time being able to discover a way of hearing what Mo Salah is saying on the football pitch despite the fact that 50,000 people are yelling in the background and Mo's got one hand over his mouth as he's chatting to Sadio.

What's also interesting from that clip is Jackson saying the real story of the Let it Be sessions is how harmonious and friendly everything was, and how John and Paul were still best buddies. The normal way of selling a documentary film to day is to take something precious and say that the 'real story' is how everyone hated everyone else and how the PR machine covered up all the spite and malice. It's the lack of conflict that he's selling!

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #92 on: November 21, 2021, 03:49:07 pm »
Nice one Terry. It looks like the real work has been done on the sound since Jackson's team figured out a way to separate mono tracks into component parts and isolate the individual voices of the Beatles. The footy equivalent I suppose would be someone in 50 years time being able to discover a way of hearing what Mo Salah is saying on the football pitch despite the fact that 50,000 people are yelling in the background and Mo's got one hand over his mouth as he's chatting to Sadio.

What's also interesting from that clip is Jackson saying the real story of the Let it Be sessions is how harmonious and friendly everything was, and how John and Paul were still best buddies. The normal way of selling a documentary film to day is to take something precious and say that the 'real story' is how everyone hated everyone else and how the PR machine covered up all the spite and malice. It's the lack of conflict that he's selling!

That's fascinating - I always assumed Jackson was just getting hidden archive footage and giving it some nip tuck. Hoping this film finally provides a more holistic view as to what went on during those sessions, because as acrimonious as the original Let It Be film was supposed to be, the majority of it really isn't that interesting.

After 50 years, we're getting the proper version I feel.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #93 on: November 23, 2021, 02:00:02 pm »

Thanks for that Terry lad. Fascinating to hear how recent technology can unearth hitherto hidden stuff and so weird to thinkthat George thought what he and the others were saying would never be heard but we're now going to be flys on the wall. Unreal stuff. Only a few days to go. Cannot wait.

:)

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: November 24, 2021, 11:39:22 pm »
Thanks for that Terry lad. Fascinating to hear how recent technology can unearth hitherto hidden stuff and so weird to thinkthat George thought what he and the others were saying would never be heard but we're now going to be flys on the wall. Unreal stuff. Only a few days to go. Cannot wait.

Kid on Christmas Eve, mate.. <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Y_TDyPlLbbM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Y_TDyPlLbbM</a>
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 08:18:09 am by Terry de Niro »

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #95 on: November 25, 2021, 03:59:00 am »
Just had a cry at the trailer one more time before the big release tomorrow, I cannot WAIT!

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #96 on: November 25, 2021, 11:58:35 am »
Do we not need a Get Back thread? Or rename this 1?
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
Re: THE BEATLES - 8 Days/Week & GET BACK (page 2 onwards)
« Reply #97 on: November 25, 2021, 02:54:34 pm »
Episode 1 is up

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #98 on: November 25, 2021, 04:14:04 pm »
Watched the 1st 15 mins on my lunchbreak. Even the little montage at the beginning was ace.

Always mad to get my head round the fact how quickly they went from playing in Liverpool & Hamburg to the biggest band in the world.

Also mad their age during these sessions.
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #99 on: November 25, 2021, 04:15:24 pm »
Watched the 1st 15 mins on my lunchbreak. Even the little montage at the beginning was ace.

Always mad to get my head round the fact how quickly they went from playing in Liverpool & Hamburg to the biggest band in the world.

Also mad their age during these sessions.

I’m think I want to watch it uninterrupted. Certainly one full episode at a time anyway. Which makes the couple of Friday afternoon calls that have just been out in the calendar doubly annoying!

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #100 on: November 25, 2021, 09:32:32 pm »
I’ve always wanted to know what Mal Evans sounded like, and here we are!

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #101 on: November 25, 2021, 11:36:04 pm »
Aw man just finished the 1st one.
Fucking brilliant. Loved it.

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #102 on: November 26, 2021, 12:22:26 am »
First episode was brilliant, I almost cried when they were working out "Don't Let Me Down".
We are Liverpool!

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #103 on: November 26, 2021, 02:53:36 am »
Halfway through episode 1

I actually don't think the ampitheatre idea was that bad of an idea considering  Pink Floyd went to Pompeii a few years later

Spoiler
The orphanage on the other hand :lmao :lmao
[close]

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #104 on: November 26, 2021, 08:14:03 am »
Yeah man that Michael guy was driving me nuts! Think of the scope!!!

Spoiler
Seeing Paul sit there and come up with the beginnings of Get Back on the spot just because they ‘needed a song’ was pretty incredible. This pretty much settles the eternal ‘what broke up the Beatles’ question. It’s so obvious they were just basically all fed up of it and it had run it’s course. Except for Paul who probably would have gone on forever. I’ve never bought that Yoko split them up bollocks. I have no problem with her I think she’s great, but it must have been a bit off-putting trying to come up with stuff on the spot and her just sat there completely stone faced. She seemed to liven up when George left though!
[close]

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: November 26, 2021, 10:58:19 am »
It's certainly an emotional watch isn't it? I felt euphoric but drained at the end.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #106 on: November 26, 2021, 03:21:26 pm »
Part of me wishes I could occasionally unearth a slightly more nuanced take on certain things that grab me. As it is though I just can’t do it and my take on Get Back is simply one more in a long line of unbridled avalanches of one eyed enthusiasm.

From its brief written preface, through the simplified early Liverpool/Hamburg/Beatlemania sketches and on to the documentary’s main course, I was wholly beguiled, completely mesmerised and lock, stock and barrel consumed by the opening few hours of this fly on the wall forensic Fab Four scrutiny that Peter Jackson has unveiled for us.

How much this degree of my enrapture stems from my almost lifelong Beatles devotion and how much is because the film is simply so good and thus so inevitably captivating and educational to anyone interested in popular music or the significant bits of its history is impossible to say. But, bloodyhell, this really was an incredible viewing experience. Two and a half hours seemed to pass in no time at all, leaving me thirsting for the next two instalments.

Each Beatle provided their own magic to enrich the brew served up. Genius was evident throughout.

Paul clearly the one driven to propel the project and putting his money where his mouth was with a host of embryos of classic compositions to come.

John, restrained for the most part but ready at any moment to impart his own shafts of genius.

George, sardonic and laid back with ever present ciggy, yet all the while nonetheless with an unsated desperation for his older brothers to appreciate his own undoubted songwriting genius and demonstrate to them that The Beatles’ creative genius was not simply restricted to ‘Two of Us’.

Ringo, meantime, seemingly bored as hell for most of the time with his mind elsewhere as he contemplated an impending budding film career yet all the while a reassuring Steady Eddie figure for the other three and, of course, an incredibly endowed provider of any magical drumbeat any of the others cared to request.

Oh my God. This is just so good. Cannot wait to immerse myself in Part two tonight.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 03:54:49 pm by Timbo's Goals »

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #107 on: November 26, 2021, 05:07:40 pm »
Do find it funny how bored Ringo looks ;D

And it's hard not to be needled by Yoko's presence there. Reading the newspaper or knitting, offering nothing whilst sitting with the rest of them. John doesn't look too well either, not quite as fresh faced as the others.

At least George's Hare Krishna friends are chilling out in the periphery...

Stunning watch, feels like it could have been recorded a few years ago, not in the 60s.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: November 26, 2021, 05:09:12 pm »
Seeing my parents for the first time in a year in a couple of weeks, Im saving this for that.  A good bottle of whiskey, my Dad and this Beatles documentary. Ive seen clips, it could blow my Dads mind.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #109 on: November 26, 2021, 05:10:50 pm »
Paul thinks about new ideas........immediately knocks out Get Back

George "Here's something I wrote last night"......I me mine

Piece of piss this song writing thing! :D

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #110 on: November 26, 2021, 05:21:07 pm »
Do find it funny how bored Ringo looks ;D

And it's hard not to be needled by Yoko's presence there. Reading the newspaper or knitting, offering nothing whilst sitting with the rest of them. John doesn't look too well either, not quite as fresh faced as the others.

At least George's Hare Krishna friends are chilling out in the periphery...

Stunning watch, feels like it could have been recorded a few years ago, not in the 60s.

Didn't Ringo have a serious drink problem around this time?

John was probably off his face half the time as I think he was in the midst of his heroin habit.

Loved Paul's little "he's very clean" comment to George's mate - little A Hard Days Night reference there
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: November 26, 2021, 05:44:41 pm »
Paul thinks about new ideas........immediately knocks out Get Back

George "Here's something I wrote last night"......I me mine

Piece of piss this song writing thing! :D
It felt to me as though we are all witnessing the birth of some magnificent songs, even though it happened in 1969. It still feels so fresh and I can't wait for the 2nd episode later on.
Loved the pissing about on making Get Back, with Enoch getting a rightful bashing.

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #112 on: November 26, 2021, 06:27:51 pm »
I hope they stay together

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: November 26, 2021, 07:40:32 pm »
Didn't Ringo have a serious drink problem around this time?

John was probably off his face half the time as I think he was in the midst of his heroin habit.

Loved Paul's little "he's very clean" comment to George's mate - little A Hard Days Night reference there

He's a clean machine.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: November 26, 2021, 08:10:20 pm »
Seeing my parents for the first time in a year in a couple of weeks, Im saving this for that.  A good bottle of whiskey, my Dad and this Beatles documentary. Ive seen clips, it could blow my Dads mind.

;D

We're saving it too, also with malt in hand. Everyone (everyone sensible) likes the Beatles. But you need to watch this with people who love the Beatles.

"Don't let me down".

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #115 on: November 26, 2021, 08:17:50 pm »
Just grabbed first 2 episodes 1080p...  8)  be on it later with headphones on  :wave
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: November 26, 2021, 09:27:06 pm »
So far got halfway through episode 1 and it's amazing to see all this stuff, but can't help feeling there's a lot they could've cut out, especially early on. But then it's Peter Jackson so...

Fascinating to see the dynamic of the band though, Paul's basically in charge at this point. But Maxwell's Silver Hammer is still terrible.

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #117 on: November 26, 2021, 10:07:39 pm »
The only thing making Maxwells Silver Hammer bareable was Mal Evans big dopey grin whilst hitting the hammer.

Halfway through the 2nd, bit more pedestrian but still great. Billy Preston has just joined in and the elevation is immediate.

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #118 on: November 26, 2021, 10:41:46 pm »
Wow, just watched episode 1.  Amazing work by Peter Jackson.

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #119 on: November 26, 2021, 10:56:19 pm »
Just watched the first "episode" WOW...