Author Topic: The Post Office Scandal  (Read 15797 times)

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Post Office Scandal
« Reply #240 on: February 20, 2024, 01:58:54 pm »
More revealed.

I'd be amazed if anyone is held to account, over this:

Cameron government knew Post Office ditched Horizon IT investigation

David Cameron's government knew the Post Office had ditched a secret investigation that might have helped wrongly accused postmasters prove their innocence, the BBC can reveal.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68146054

Cameron’s too busy traipsing about the Falklands, and whatever he’s up to there, only government knows

https://www.reuters.com/world/uks-cameron-visit-falkland-islands-his-first-south-atlantic-tour-2024-02-18/

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/david-cameron-s-visit-to-falklands-a-provocation-says-argentine-official/ar-BB1izkhf

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #241 on: February 21, 2024, 01:20:55 pm »

Offline Fortneef

• Palace Fan. Punka wallah?
  • Kopite
« Reply #242 on: March 1, 2024, 01:27:05 pm »
No apology necessary, @Fortneef. It is one of those situations where we all are agreed on the facts, so it really does come down to opinion. And since there is no ideal solution, I am not even sure of my own opinion.

Thanks for your magnanimity

I think what set me off was the fact that the Post Office are even now deliberately and dishonestly exaggerating the amount of real criminality in the pool of convicted subpostmasters in order to minimise the Post Office's guilt.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: March 1, 2024, 02:26:35 pm »
Thanks for your magnanimity

I think what set me off was the fact that the Post Office are even now deliberately and dishonestly exaggerating the amount of real criminality in the pool of convicted subpostmasters in order to minimise the Post Office's guilt.
I've not been reading about it. But that would come as little surprise to me after their serially appalling behaviour. There needs to be a criminal investigation of PO management and prosecutors.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: March 4, 2024, 12:42:45 pm »
A little known (and advertised) fact, is that the Horizon system was originally created for the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP).  However, they rejected it, due to flaws in the system.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: March 28, 2024, 07:15:44 pm »
Post Office knew its defence was false

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68663750

Offline stjohns

• ambliance or precinct we're not sure......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: April 12, 2024, 01:15:03 pm »
This idiot, being questioned today, is taking the enquiry to a whole new level. In charge of the whole circus but didn’t know the PO instigated its own prosecutions. Also, he can’t remember any detail half the time.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: April 17, 2024, 09:08:34 pm »
I posted this earlier in another thread but it should probably be here really:-

One of the investigators had not provided a written witness statement so they sent round the Sheriff's with a Section 21 notice - which focused his mind! (I think he shit himself).
 ;D

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/bxY76ZHosUI?si=eN-4SLB8PsEp1aoj" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/bxY76ZHosUI?si=eN-4SLB8PsEp1aoj</a>

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2005/12/section/21
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #248 on: May 21, 2024, 07:34:55 am »
With Vennells about to appear I've seen articles the last few days along the lines of "How did this ordained woman of God preside over such injustice", as if it's not a baked-in feature of the seriously religious (as opposed to general church attendees)  that the things they believe (or "know in their heart to be true") are less important than the things that other people are telling them, regardless of the evidence behind it?

If she started with a conclusion of "I'm a good, Godly, person so I can't have been involved in any significant wrongdoing" then rather than seeking the truth, she would only have been seeking justification for her position... and then you basically have your answer to the premise of these articles.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: May 21, 2024, 11:01:19 am »
With Vennells about to appear I've seen articles the last few days along the lines of "How did this ordained woman of God preside over such injustice", as if it's not a baked-in feature of the seriously religious (as opposed to general church attendees)  that the things they believe (or "know in their heart to be true") are less important than the things that other people are telling them, regardless of the evidence behind it?

If she started with a conclusion of "I'm a good, Godly, person so I can't have been involved in any significant wrongdoing" then rather than seeking the truth, she would only have been seeking justification for her position... and then you basically have your answer to the premise of these articles.
Or, the God is 'cover'. It is less common in the UK, but faux religiosity if rife in the US (not just in politics) and used as cover.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: May 21, 2024, 11:04:04 am »
Surprised there isn't an infected blood scandal, thread. 

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #251 on: May 21, 2024, 11:19:39 am »
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #252 on: May 22, 2024, 11:08:32 am »
Vennels evidence going well today

@pkelso
Paula Vennells begins crying as she is asked why she told MPs that every conviction based on Horizon was safe. "Here we go", says one of the 150-plus subpostmasters in the room listening

Vennells: “I fully accept now that the Post Office [chokes, tears] excuse me. The Post Office knew that, I completely accepted. Personally I didn't know that and I'm incredibly sorry that that happened to those people, and to so many others.”

Honestly, she might be the worst person the UK has produced this century. And fuck knows, there's been a hell of a competition for that.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #253 on: May 22, 2024, 11:14:51 am »

@pkelso
Paula Vennells begins crying as she is asked why she told MPs that every conviction based on Horizon was safe. "Here we go", says one of the 150-plus subpostmasters in the room listening

Vennells: “I fully accept now that the Post Office [chokes, tears] excuse me. The Post Office knew that, I completely accepted. Personally I didn't know that and I'm incredibly sorry that that happened to those people, and to so many others.”

Honestly, she might be the worst person the UK has produced this century. And fuck knows, there's been a hell of a competition for that.

And isn’t she a part time vicarette as well?

She be down on her knees soon prayin’ for the Good Lord’s Deliverance.

Offline Reflexivity

• Main Stander
« Reply #254 on: May 22, 2024, 12:36:50 pm »
The roof is leaking on the chairman. Who owns the building, the Glazers?

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #255 on: May 22, 2024, 12:56:29 pm »
Vennells with fake tears when she would have known everything that was going on.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: May 22, 2024, 01:01:44 pm »
Vennells with fake tears when she would have known everything that was going on.

Lying bitch
Jurgen YNWA

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: May 22, 2024, 01:15:53 pm »

@pkelso

She's being evasive. she was accused of having a Wait and See defence, how she's waiting to see what the prosecutors know first as she only intends to admit to what comes out in the inquiry rather than helping the inquiry to find out any new evidence.
100+ prosecutions and she and senior management never knew about it.

She loves to ramble on to make people loose sight of the question, when pressed to answer the question she usually says I would just like to add so she can continue rambling, Jason Beers not having it. nope answer the question.
She's not going to come out of this well. evasive. not helping the inquiry volountry, only admitting to evidence already proven, her plea of not being aware of the prosecutions are hard to believe.

It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: May 22, 2024, 01:26:22 pm »
I expect Vennells has been rehearsing for this for a very long time.  The story about her pestering former senior management to fish for information and to try to head off an independent inquiry says a lot about her approach to the whole thing (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cm5454yypxxo).

Any moments of apparent remorse or overwhelming sadness will likely have been pre-planned and acted out many times at her home in order to avoid certain questions.

Anyone following the inquiry will see these individuals for what they are but I'm sure that by the end of it they'll have succeeded in keeping themselves legally innocent of anything and everything.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: May 22, 2024, 01:31:50 pm »
Nobody will be held to account and punished (properly).  I'm pretty certain of that.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #260 on: May 22, 2024, 02:01:48 pm »
I expect Vennells has been rehearsing for this for a very long time.  The story about her pestering former senior management to fish for information and to try to head off an independent inquiry says a lot about her approach to the whole thing (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cm5454yypxxo).

Any moments of apparent remorse or overwhelming sadness will likely have been pre-planned and acted out many times at her home in order to avoid certain questions.

Anyone following the inquiry will see these individuals for what they are but I'm sure that by the end of it they'll have succeeded in keeping themselves legally innocent of anything and everything.

She seems to be an appalling character but none of this surprises me.

I have seen stuff throughout my career where people protect themselves over others.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: May 22, 2024, 02:28:55 pm »
She's getting tied in knots here.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #262 on: May 22, 2024, 05:57:58 pm »
She's getting tied in knots here.

Rishi taken some heat off her

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: May 22, 2024, 06:00:04 pm »
after seeing many headlines over the months but glossing over them, last night I caught up with the Royal Mail - Mr Bates stuff.

wow.  holy shit. what a disgusting bunch of "human beings".

Bates is from Liverpool originally.  anyone know whereabouts?

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #264 on: May 22, 2024, 06:19:12 pm »

She owes him big time!
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline jacobs chains

• Legacy Fan
  • The fight will not be attaining dreams.
« Reply #265 on: May 22, 2024, 10:34:36 pm »

Meanwhile, in another corner of London, Paula Vennells couldn’t believe her luck. Her worst day at the Post Office inquiry had just been erased from the public consciousness. Much like her memory.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/may/22/cringing-in-the-rain-soggy-rish-kickstarts-his-farewell-tour

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: May 22, 2024, 10:47:13 pm »
 It was nice to see the victims and their families watch that woman suffer in the inquiry
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #267 on: Yesterday at 10:48:46 am »

It was an Act of Sod.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: Today at 10:52:38 am »
Nobody will be held to account and punished (properly).  I'm pretty certain of that.

Maybe but I think there is clear enough evidence that these Post Office lawyers have been lying on the stand, I saw the one where the lawyer claimed never to have received a document and could not 'remember' it. The inquiry presented evidence that not only had he received it but had also printed it out a few minutes later. I think he was shocked when presented with the evidence and moved to a defence of being non-technical, I was surprised to hear even lead counsel Jason Beer calling it out as a 'big fat lie' such was the strength of the evidence.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c1d4j5m3l08o

Of all the witnesses, the Post Office lawyers come across as the most dishonest, untrustworthy, calculating, evasive and misleading of all the witnesses. The defence of not being able to remember things when questioned under oath is clearly difficult to disprove and is obviously a planned strategy for all of them. So as I'm not being a legal expert I'm not sure what the threshold would be to prove either perjury or perverting the course of justice. I saw one lawyer the other day literally claim a defence of incompetence for not knowing the rules about evidence disclosure to the defence!

I think if nothing more the Post Office should lose the right to conduct their own prosecutions as there clearly isn't the checks and balances we see in place with the Police and CPS.
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Reflexivity

• Main Stander
« Reply #269 on: Today at 11:12:12 am »
Mr Henry KC used the term 'cloying managerese' when referring to Paula Flannels reports, which would have made his namesake O Henry smile I suspect.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: Today at 11:40:20 am »
Mr Henry KC used the term 'cloying managerese' when referring to Paula Flannels reports, which would have made his namesake O Henry smile I suspect.

Yeah at least this guy is giving it to her a bit more, good seeing her squirm.

I dare anyone to watch her deny some of this questioning and not have to turn off for the want of putting your fist through the screen.

She won't see a single day in jail for it either, where is the justice in that.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: Today at 12:28:44 pm »
What a fucking Witch, they really turned the screw today on her.

Crocodile tears twice today, a Woman of the Cloth is what makes it even more astounding, she has no Empathy at all.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Reflexivity

• Main Stander
« Reply #272 on: Today at 01:09:33 pm »
What a fucking Witch, they really turned the screw today on her.

Crocodile tears twice today, a Woman of the Cloth is what makes it even more astounding, she has no Empathy at all.
As I commented above that cloth being 'Flannel' no doubt.

She has a touch of ginge about her and is a Manc from Denton.
Who else is from Denton why Mick Hucknall of course.

I had a girlfriend from Denton when I was a about 19, lovely girl and family were nice too except for the arl fella who was a Yernited fan, me being from L'pool didn't go down too well with the miserable twat.
« Last Edit: Today at 01:44:17 pm by Reflexivity »

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #273 on: Today at 06:54:23 pm »
This is brilliant article

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/article/2024/may/22/rev-paula-vennells-innocent-subpostmasters-jail-post-office-ceo-victims

I genuinely can’t read too much about it as it makes me so angry. We have all worked for people like her though.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: Today at 07:17:06 pm »
"You preach compassion but you don't practice compassion"
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis