Author Topic: Spurs - First Ten Games 23/24 League Champs  (Read 84352 times)

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Spurs - First Ten Games 23/24 League Champs
« Reply #160 on: August 12, 2023, 09:24:14 pm »
The Kane Kurse? lol

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #161 on: August 12, 2023, 09:48:00 pm »
Has Kane claimed any of the goals for his club yet, on his daughter's life?
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Online Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #162 on: August 19, 2023, 07:18:37 pm »
Kane just posted on Twitter, claiming that second spurs goal.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: August 19, 2023, 07:47:48 pm »
Now that they are not dependent on Kane, Tottenham might actually do a bit better ...

Offline StL-Dono

• Kopite
  • thank you Ian Rush
« Reply #164 on: August 19, 2023, 07:51:19 pm »
Now that they are not dependent on Kane, Tottenham might actually do a bit better ...

I actually don't think they'll be worse than they were.  But, traditionally don't Spurs always look like world-beaters early and then the dysfunction truly sets in about Feb...

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #165 on: August 19, 2023, 09:03:56 pm »
Definitely looked more like a team in that 2nd half before.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2023, 09:33:54 pm by Terry de Niro »

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: August 19, 2023, 09:16:38 pm »
I actually don't think they'll be worse than they were.  But, traditionally don't Spurs always look like world-beaters early and then the dysfunction truly sets in about Feb...

I think that Postecoglou will have enough material to work with. I don't expect them to finish in the top 4-5, but they could be close. And Maddison, Van de Ven, Vicario, Veliz and Solomon are actually decent additions. Once they also get Bentancur back from injury, they might be solid ...

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #167 on: August 20, 2023, 12:18:19 am »
That's an issue with squad depth. During the 90's and 2000's we had the same problem. Good in the first half, and crap in the 2nd, cause by the time Jan/Feb came around, we had expended the first team because they had to play every game, with much less chance of getting a rest.

When the injuries and dip in individual form eventually hit after the frantic December schedule and drab, gray January comes around, we're out of quality and results start to get inconsistent as we drop from 1st, to 2nd... and out of top 4.
we usually started dripping off from the last quarter of Jan. From mid-March onwards we look scintillating and back to form... but late yet again, cause our 1st team is mostly back on form and playing again. Every season.

We only picked up again in mid-to-late March when the lower-quality squad replacements had their fill, the Winter break and training camp afforded us some reset, first-team regulars who got injured in December/Jan/Feb came back in again, the international and cup breaks adding to the rest, but they also afforded a chance to build match fitness- but the season was basically over by then - ready to fight for "top 4", instead of the league. We looked nailed on before Jan/Feb, but dropped off yet again from then onwardsXrepeat year-on-year.
That's why we always ended the season in a battle for a CL place.

We were a lil better version of Spurs throughout the 90s and 2000s, and they were on our coattails. We just couldn't get it right and because we changed managers more often than we would have liked, and were a shambles upstairs, we couldn't really build a decent squad- Rafa came closest... until FSG/Henry bought us (I'll always appreciate that- even though it was financially motivated- they rescued us) - everyone's favorite owners to hate.

It's the same thing that happened to Arsenal last season, however not to that extent as they had some quality in reserve, but not enough.

If Spurs can build on that, they can go all the way.

I just wish our owners were more politically nasty, cause that's what we're missing in this era of mega-maniacs and oligarchs running sh*.
If they can play the hardball game in the FA/Prem/PGMOL/FIFA boardrooms instead of sitting far off in another continent and only showing up for big games, things would be wayyyy better and fairer towards us... on the pitch and on the table.

Real and Barca don't take sh*, Bayern doesn't take crap, United under Ferguson didn't take crap. Not from the league, not from referees, not from other execs, not even from FIFA. They use their LEVERAGE and influence, and they have "soldiers" fighting for their cause off the pitch. These clubs' corporate teams are fighting tooth and nail to get them every advantage off the field (cause the club culture and owners demand it be so)- and if it comes down to the owners, they will get down there and make themselves clear!
I only want us to be treated fairly.

The Tierney-crap... Other big clubs would've had him sussed out by now, and PGMOL slapped over the wrists via the decision-makers A LONG TIME ago!

Effective and fair to us when used in moderation? "YES!".
« Last Edit: August 20, 2023, 01:03:25 am by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #168 on: August 20, 2023, 02:25:37 am »
Lets not judge until they face some decent opposition. Wolves who are nailed on to go down ran rings round that shower at old Trafford. Spurs win was expected against such poor opponents.

Online Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: August 20, 2023, 05:13:42 am »

What happened to Bissouma. I honestly thought he retired or something but now he is like Ronaldinho and Vieira combined into one.

Offline Armchair expert

• Almost makes you agree with Gove
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meet the new boss.....same as the old boss
« Reply #170 on: August 20, 2023, 05:43:39 am »
Thought they played well second half but christ Sky don’t half love to big teams up on the back of one display although even that wasn’t as bad as last week over the club that’s spend a billion quid in 12 months getting a plucky draw against the team Sky keep saying nobody wants to sign for

Online Working Class Hen-Pecked Hero

• Is something to be...Lives at 999 Letsby Avenue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: August 20, 2023, 08:32:29 am »
Kane to Richarlison is such a massive drop. Whether you liked Kane or not
I'm telling you, Bowie died and it's all gone to fuck.

Offline Tommy_W

• Jol-ly. Constipated.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: August 20, 2023, 09:32:06 am »
Absolutely loved it yesterday. Best atmosphere we've had in the new stadium I think. Everyone was just so happy to see us playing proper attacking football again. I'm sure we'll be on the end of a few drubbings from time to time, but it's gonna be fun to watch at least this season.

We do need to find a striker though. I don't want us relying on Richarlison all season.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: August 20, 2023, 10:30:12 am »
After the likes of Pochettino, Mourinho and Mason, I really don't like the fact the Tottenham have a manager who isn't detestable.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #174 on: August 20, 2023, 10:39:54 am »
Lets not judge until they face some decent opposition. Wolves who are nailed on to go down ran rings round that shower at old Trafford. Spurs win was expected against such poor opponents.
United are back in familiar territory- a lack of faith in the manager. As soon as that first goal went in at Anfield- as soon as that first goal went in at Spurs, heads dropped!
In both games they started well, and had they persisted, they might've walked away with a win or a draw, but they crumbled when the first goal went in.

Trust in the manager, trust the game plan, and trust in the team-mates went out of the window and everyone dropped into familiar modes of behavior and was looking out for nr.1 - and nr.1 to that shower are a bunch of self-obsessed mercenaries because that's the type of personality they attract, so we can see the problem.

The biggest issue United's been faced with is their fragile mentality since Ferguson left. First, it was an ego that didn't match the competency on the pitch, then it slowly became a fragile mentality as the ego was starting to crack.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2023, 10:48:17 am by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline DarkOfTheManatee

• Anny Roader
« Reply #175 on: August 20, 2023, 10:56:33 am »
After the likes of Pochettino, Mourinho and Mason, I really don't like the fact the Tottenham have a manager who isn't detestable.

Yeah, and someone who might actually try and get the best out of his current players rather than sulking that he hasn't been given more signings. Think there's a limit to what Spurs can achieve with Richarlison being the main striker, but they have a few players who have higher ceilings than what Conte and Mason let them show last season.

Will be interesting to see how they fare. Hopefully they can nudge Newcastle/Man Utd/Chelsea out of top 4, but that feels like a step too far unfortunately.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #176 on: August 20, 2023, 10:45:04 pm »

He seems a good sort. Seeking Kane and then starting with a clean slate could be ok for them in the long run.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #177 on: August 20, 2023, 10:47:25 pm »
He seems a good sort. Seeking Kane and then starting with a clean slate could be ok for them in the long run.

Where did he seek for him? The grotto?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #178 on: August 20, 2023, 10:47:58 pm »
Where did he seek for him? The grotto?

FFS

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: August 21, 2023, 12:06:10 am »
Bissouma looks back to his best, they have a very good midfield all of a sudden.

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: August 21, 2023, 12:09:32 am »
United are back in familiar territory- a lack of faith in the manager. As soon as that first goal went in at Anfield- as soon as that first goal went in at Spurs, heads dropped!
In both games they started well, and had they persisted, they might've walked away with a win or a draw, but they crumbled when the first goal went in.

Trust in the manager, trust the game plan, and trust in the team-mates went out of the window and everyone dropped into familiar modes of behavior and was looking out for nr.1 - and nr.1 to that shower are a bunch of self-obsessed mercenaries because that's the type of personality they attract, so we can see the problem.

The biggest issue United's been faced with is their fragile mentality since Ferguson left. First, it was an ego that didn't match the competency on the pitch, then it slowly became a fragile mentality as the ego was starting to crack.

Ten Hag has done it to himself really.  Trust in the manager comes from trust in oneself.  Consider Tottenham's new manager who has said he has no option B.  If option A isn't working do option A better is his mentality.  It's an unwavering belief in oneself and a style of play win, lose or draw.  I thought Ten Hag had this, because he talked a good game in his early press conferences.  But as soon as the wheels started to come off last season he just abandoned his style completely and reverted back to a defensive counter attacking style, one that brought very average managers at Utd a degree of success.  It was in that moment that the first crack was created.  Now that he has enough parts to play his preferred system he has to contend with the success and fails of last season, namely an ageing Casemiro that doesn't work in a possession heavy style - just ask Real Madrid fans.  So how does Ten Hag transition to a possession game without dropping last season's best player?  It's a real conundrum.

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: August 21, 2023, 12:14:21 am »
Bissouma looks back to his best, they have a very good midfield all of a sudden.

Indeed.  I never really understood all the hype on here around Bissouma, but I admit to being very wrong on how good he could have been for us.  He looks great this season so far along with Sarr who just eats up ground and puts in some highlight reel tackles with his long telescopic legs.  Spurs have got a very good foundation of players there. 

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: August 21, 2023, 01:49:41 am »
Yeah, and someone who might actually try and get the best out of his current players rather than sulking that he hasn't been given more signings. Think there's a limit to what Spurs can achieve with Richarlison being the main striker, but they have a few players who have higher ceilings than what Conte and Mason let them show last season.

Will be interesting to see how they fare. Hopefully they can nudge Newcastle/Man Utd/Chelsea out of top 4, but that feels like a step too far unfortunately.

I was surprised to see that they've signed Alejo Veliz from Rosario for €15 million. That is some smart use of a part of the Kane money. The kid is quite talented, and might surprise quite a few people once he settles in the Premier League ...

https://youtu.be/N94K30PFrSU

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #183 on: August 22, 2023, 09:33:21 am »

I think Son will end up in the middle, Ange likes the wide men wide, and Son wants to cut inside all the time, so it solves two problems.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #184 on: August 22, 2023, 09:34:34 am »
Think it's a good time to be a Spurs fan, feels like a big refresh and they have a manager now who wants to play positive football.  Kane leaving was the best thing for everyone.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #185 on: August 22, 2023, 09:37:43 pm »
As someone said the other day, strange to have a likeable Spurs manager. Shows what a long line of deplorables they have employed
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Online Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #186 on: August 22, 2023, 09:42:17 pm »
I think Espírito Santo was well liked, but of course was only there for two forgettable minutes.

And I see now he’s coaching in Saudi, so not that great a person.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: August 26, 2023, 01:24:38 pm »
Love watching Spurs now.

The sheer entertainment value of Richie la being shite but also being annoyed at everything and trying to not look annoyed when Spurs score but it is not him who scored, is amazing.

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: August 26, 2023, 01:34:28 pm »
Think it's a good time to be a Spurs fan, feels like a big refresh and they have a manager now who wants to play positive football.  Kane leaving was the best thing for everyone.

Agreed, best ive seen spurs in a long time, think they could get top 4 with a few more quality additions.

Offline Simplexity

• Do we need the xity? (apparently not)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: August 26, 2023, 01:37:03 pm »
I think getting a manager that doesnt have the attitude of seemingly doing them a favor by being employed there ala Conte and Mourinho is the right move.

Honestly if I was spurs I would go for Nunez. He is exactly what they need.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #190 on: August 26, 2023, 06:48:04 pm »
Didn’t someone predict Maddison would have a good game or two at the start and be massively talked up before fading badly as the season progresses. So far so good:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66628993

But with Kane gone, and a manager who isn’t a gobshite it’s harder to get annoyed by then these days.

Offline Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #191 on: August 26, 2023, 07:32:45 pm »
But with Kane gone, and a manager who isn’t a gobshite it’s harder to get annoyed by then these days.
I agree, and I find that bloody annoying!

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: August 26, 2023, 09:30:54 pm »
On the radio today they were asking are Spurs title contenders. When will they learn. A team has a good few games at the start of the season and that line comes out.
Still, I do really like Postecoglu as a manager. A lot of my friends here would be Celtic fans, and they swore the football they seen under him was the best they'd ever seen. Seems to have the skill of improving players. And he's cut a job on his hands with that.
I think they'll score a shit load and concede a shit load. They'll be a good watch anyway

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #193 on: August 29, 2023, 11:10:49 pm »
Out of one Cup already...

Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #194 on: August 29, 2023, 11:33:59 pm »
Out of one Cup already...

Another year without a trophy. 

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: August 30, 2023, 12:10:12 am »
On the radio today they were asking are Spurs title contenders. When will they learn. A team has a good few games at the start of the season and that line comes out.
Still, I do really like Postecoglu as a manager. A lot of my friends here would be Celtic fans, and they swore the football they seen under him was the best they'd ever seen. Seems to have the skill of improving players. And he's cut a job on his hands with that.
I think they'll score a shit load and concede a shit load. They'll be a good watch anyway

To be fair they’ve learnt perfectly how to maximise what they’re after, which is engagement. Spurs are one of the best supported clubs in the country, they’ve won fuck all for years, they’ve had a good start and have a new manager and there’s an air of positivity - so they capitalise on that and create a narrative about whether they can win the league, knowing that it’s easy money for engagement etc. Then, when it inevitably doesn’t happen, they can repeat the process with the ‘where did it go wrong narratives’z

The whole industry is so disingenuous that, especially with shows like Talksport, it’s rare to find a topic being discussed because the host genuinely thinks it’s interesting and worthy of discussion as it will usually be a calculated attempt as to what is always likely to generate the most social media interactions.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: August 30, 2023, 12:46:07 am »
To be fair they’ve learnt perfectly how to maximise what they’re after, which is engagement. Spurs are one of the best supported clubs in the country, they’ve won fuck all for years, they’ve had a good start and have a new manager and there’s an air of positivity - so they capitalise on that and create a narrative about whether they can win the league, knowing that it’s easy money for engagement etc. Then, when it inevitably doesn’t happen, they can repeat the process with the ‘where did it go wrong narratives’z

The whole industry is so disingenuous that, especially with shows like Talksport, it’s rare to find a topic being discussed because the host genuinely thinks it’s interesting and worthy of discussion as it will usually be a calculated attempt as to what is always likely to generate the most social media interactions.

Are they really? Admittedly, I am mostly meeting English football fans when on holiday, and I only remember meeting several Tottenham fans, as opposed to meeting quite a few LFC, Man Utd and even Arsenal fans ...

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #197 on: August 30, 2023, 09:46:45 am »
Are they really? Admittedly, I am mostly meeting English football fans when on holiday, and I only remember meeting several Tottenham fans, as opposed to meeting quite a few LFC, Man Utd and even Arsenal fans ...

I think he meant "best supported considering they win fuck all". So between them and Newcastle really.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: August 31, 2023, 08:14:26 pm »
I think he meant "best supported considering they win fuck all". So between them and Newcastle really.

You missed Everton!!!
Most Liverpool fans I know fully support Everton not winning anything season after season

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: September 1, 2023, 11:17:17 pm »
It is not that Brennan Johnson is a bad player, but what exactly is Tottenham's idea with him?