Author Topic: Boxing thread  (Read 4168149 times)

Offline L4Red

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Boxing thread
« Reply #65720 on: March 5, 2021, 06:32:05 pm »
Have read Liam Smith will no longer be trained by Joe Gallagher, Joseph Parker has also parted ways with Kevin Barry. Gervonta Davis stepping up to 140.
Surprised anyone is with Joe anymore, when was the last big fight one of his lads won? Callum v Groves?

Offline Creg

• Main Stander
« Reply #65721 on: March 6, 2021, 03:24:36 am »
Hasn't been a British undisputed champion since Lennox, and there's only been 3 or 4 in history.  Now we might have 2 before the end of the year.

Fairly remarkable to be at this position in his 18th pro fight with one of those a farcical mandatory.

Not fully convinced by Ben Davidson as a trainer but that may be my ignorance. Suspect Taylor has already beaten two trickier opponents for him in Prograis and Postol but hopefully there’s no complacency and Josh adds himself to the undisputed list.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65722 on: March 6, 2021, 01:22:55 pm »
Clarissa Shields becomes the first Undisputed Champion in two weight divisions (Male or Female) in the 4 belt era.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65723 on: March 6, 2021, 05:46:50 pm »
Clarissa Shields becomes the first Undisputed Champion in two weight divisions (Male or Female) in the 4 belt era.

As much to do with politics as it is anything else in my opinion.

If Crawford gets his hand on Spence and Pac Man he would be the first guy to do it as he beats both for me without too much bother.

I reckon Naz would have done this back in the day at SBW and FW but Politics again scuppered him

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65724 on: March 9, 2021, 03:47:54 pm »
Tyson calling out Holyfield for a trilogy fight.  Clown show roles on. ;D

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #65725 on: March 9, 2021, 08:51:00 pm »
Surprised anyone is with Joe anymore, when was the last big fight one of his lads won? Callum v Groves?

Saw an interview with Joe earlier. Liam training with Manny Robles in LA at present, which he wasn’t told about. Parker could opt for Andy Lee next based on Tyson Fury’s recommendation as trainer. Joshua Buatsi will now be working with Virgil Hunter.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65726 on: March 11, 2021, 03:00:47 pm »
Fury v Joshua apparently being delayed till November.  Gives Fury a chance for a warm up fight and AJ  taking on his WBO mandatory in Usyk.

Edit- Warren saying the fight will be announced soon. Fuck knows what's going on.  :butt
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 03:33:05 pm by Samie »

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65727 on: March 11, 2021, 04:51:31 pm »
Fury v Joshua apparently being delayed till November.  Gives Fury a chance for a warm up fight and AJ  taking on his WBO mandatory in Usyk.

Edit- Warren saying the fight will be announced soon. Fuck knows what's going on.  :butt

I don't mind them delaying it if it means they can do it at Wembley or something, but I don't want AJ going within a mile of Usyk in the meantime.

Don't want either of them fighting above Maltese title level until it happens.

Online Roopy

• Kopite
« Reply #65728 on: March 12, 2021, 12:13:24 am »
Fury claiming he's not in the gym atm and instead holidaying and necking 10-15 pints a day.

Not sure if I believe him or not - hopefully not!

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65729 on: March 12, 2021, 04:07:30 pm »
Frank Warren's Queensberry Promotions have announced John Bercow as a new member of the team. The boxing news we were all expecting.

Offline cornishscouser92

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65730 on: March 12, 2021, 10:27:00 pm »
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65731 on: March 12, 2021, 10:34:46 pm »
Frank Warren's Queensberry Promotions have announced John Bercow as a new member of the team. The boxing news we were all expecting.

He'd be a better MC than Mark Burdis.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #65732 on: March 13, 2021, 11:16:36 pm »
Marvelous Marvin Hagler has died per John Rawling. The greatest Middleweight of all time. RIP
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Mactavish

• Anny Roader
« Reply #65733 on: March 13, 2021, 11:19:12 pm »
Marvelous Marvin Hagler has died per John Rawling. The greatest Middleweight of all time. RIP

Confirmed by his Mrs. Sad and 66 is no age

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #65734 on: March 13, 2021, 11:32:01 pm »
Sad to hear of the passing of Marvellous Marvin Hagler. From a golden era of boxing and his battle with Thomas Hearns is one of my favourite fights ever.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #65735 on: March 13, 2021, 11:41:15 pm »
Wow really shocked about Hagler.

Probably my favourite round in boxing was the 6th v John Mugabi.

17 minutes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxUx0bhGFHM&t=1033s
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 11:50:39 pm by Al 666 »
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65736 on: March 13, 2021, 11:51:23 pm »
Fuck Me!  :o

RIP Marvelous One!

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65737 on: March 13, 2021, 11:58:09 pm »
His record:

62-3-2 (52 KO)

He fought them all in his era of boxing: Minter, Antuofermo, SRL, Hearns, Durans and Mugabi.

He didn't duck anyone and he beat Sugar Ray Lenoard.  >:(

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65738 on: March 14, 2021, 12:09:46 am »
Greatest opening round in history. Hagler v Hearns   :)

https://twitter.com/Super70sSports/status/1370887698576248836

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #65739 on: March 14, 2021, 12:19:11 am »
"RIP Champ" trending on Twitter, just getting over Murray Walker's passing and now I'm hit with this.

An all time boxer. RIP.

Offline Creg

• Main Stander
« Reply #65740 on: March 14, 2021, 12:24:33 am »

May he rest in peace.

I don’t want to simplify things but perhaps the greatest chin ever?

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65741 on: March 14, 2021, 12:29:22 am »
RIP.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #65742 on: March 14, 2021, 12:32:23 am »
One of the greatest of all time. 66 is no age these days :(

Still watch the opening round of Hagler/Hearns from time to time, it'll never be bettered!

RIP Champ

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65743 on: March 14, 2021, 12:45:00 am »
The best thing about that round is any other Middleweight/Super Middleweight, Light Heavyweight that night would've been on the floor knocked the fuck out with the bombs Hearns was coming out with that night.  Granite chin isn't the half of it with Hagler.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #65744 on: March 14, 2021, 12:55:32 am »
If you didn't know it was the first round and never seen it before you would assume it was the last round and both corners had told their man it was an even fight, and they had to go for it. What a truly golden age that was.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #65745 on: March 14, 2021, 12:56:38 am »
One of my favourite things is everyone expecting them to take round 2 as a bit of a breather because round one was action packed but nope they just kept on going ;D

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65746 on: March 14, 2021, 12:58:52 am »
Only way that round is bettered is if Fordy fight's Amir Khan in a street fight.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65747 on: March 14, 2021, 01:07:40 am »
Damn. Just heard about Hagler.

Don't think I'll ever see a better round of boxing than that round with Hearns.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65748 on: March 14, 2021, 01:10:16 am »
Marvelous Marvin Hagler Legend RIP.

From that golden age probably my favourite, the Tommy Hearns fight. What a classic

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #65749 on: March 14, 2021, 01:25:34 am »
One of my favourite things is everyone expecting them to take round 2 as a bit of a breather because round one was action packed but nope they just kept on going ;D

I just love the madness of it.

Hearns was known as a brutal puncher yet Hagler from the bell just sprinted across the ring and tried to knock him out with his first punch. No trying to get your range or trying to time your punches, nope just try and take his head off with your first punch. The saying fighting fire with fire was never more pertinent.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65750 on: March 14, 2021, 01:26:13 am »
Bit like you and Craig on here mate.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #65751 on: March 14, 2021, 03:02:06 am »
Bit like you and Craig on here mate.

;D ;D
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65752 on: March 14, 2021, 03:12:11 am »
I just love the madness of it.

Hearns was known as a brutal puncher yet Hagler from the bell just sprinted across the ring and tried to knock him out with his first punch. No trying to get your range or trying to time your punches, nope just try and take his head off with your first punch. The saying fighting fire with fire was never more pertinent.

It wasn't Hagler's natural style either, but like you say, he just went out and fought fire with fire, and came out on top.  Amazing fighter.  RIP

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65753 on: March 14, 2021, 03:21:36 am »
Some great images from Ring

Literally terrifying as a contender, the switch-hitting Hagler was unapologetically avoided by more than one world champion

https://www.ringtv.com/619103-photo-gallery-marvelous-marvin-hagler/

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65754 on: March 14, 2021, 07:11:13 am »
Oh no, RIP.

Might have been the GOAT at 160.

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #65755 on: March 14, 2021, 07:19:07 am »
RIP. Simply a legend.

Online dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #65756 on: March 14, 2021, 07:19:20 am »
Very sad news of one of my favourite fighters ever. It was a truly golden era for boxing when all the champions fought each other and you were never sure of the outcome. RIP Marvelous Marvin
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 07:26:09 am by dikwad »

Offline spen71

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65757 on: March 14, 2021, 07:52:37 am »
My favourite boxer of all time. Also my late dads .    RIP marvelous

Offline L4Red

• Kopite
« Reply #65758 on: March 14, 2021, 08:01:47 am »
66 is no age, what a shame.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65759 on: March 14, 2021, 08:48:02 am »
RIP Hagler.