Poll

Just curious about the impact Covid-19 is having

I work in the UK and normally work from home
30 (17.8%)
I work in the UK and don't normally work from home but have started  to \ expect to by April
80 (47.3%)
I work in the UK and working from home isn't an option
33 (19.5%)
I live but don't work in the UK
0 (0%)
I don't live in the UK
26 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 169

Voting closed: March 23, 2020, 02:56:14 pm

Author Topic: Working From Home  (Read 169096 times)

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Working From Home
« Reply #280 on: April 22, 2020, 08:17:21 am »
^ ha ha - Good old Dr. Fun

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #281 on: April 22, 2020, 10:10:53 am »

This would look good I reckon.
I came in here to suggest a pic of Gerrard lifting #5 as my new background.
@Nick, I know exactly how you feel, except I am very fortunate that Mrs F is fighting the home tutoring front.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #282 on: April 22, 2020, 03:13:21 pm »
Fuck it. Just gonna use random capon ones

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #283 on: April 22, 2020, 03:38:55 pm »

This’ll show ‘em you’re a top red.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #284 on: April 22, 2020, 03:40:48 pm »
No concentration today working in the same room as both kids when I’m trying to write something. Like a fucking zoo. Going through the motions until they finish, then a quick bit of football in the garden and then I’ll have to do a couple of hours work this evening to catch up instead. Shite.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #285 on: April 22, 2020, 03:42:50 pm »
No concentration today working in the same room as both kids when I’m trying to write something. Like a fucking zoo. Going through the motions until they finish, then a quick bit of football in the garden and then I’ll have to do a couple of hours work this evening to catch up instead. Shite.

Kick em outside and lock the door.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #286 on: April 22, 2020, 03:54:04 pm »
Kick em outside and lock the door.

I’d rather lock myself out and go for a wander.

Oh yeah, and whenever my wife tries to upload a video (teacher, nothing smutty), it kicks the rest of us out of the WiFi. Domestic bliss here!

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #287 on: April 22, 2020, 04:20:07 pm »
I’d rather lock myself out and go for a wander.

Oh yeah, and whenever my wife tries to upload a video (teacher, nothing smutty), it kicks the rest of us out of the WiFi. Domestic bliss here!

How old are your kids?

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #288 on: April 22, 2020, 04:23:52 pm »
How old are your kids?

Late twenties.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #289 on: April 22, 2020, 04:24:33 pm »

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: April 23, 2020, 02:57:17 pm »
That’s the worst age.
3 and 1 are pretty fucking awful.  Older boy threw a toothbrush at me, only to twat the baby in his head instead.  Both crying.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #291 on: April 23, 2020, 03:52:43 pm »
3 and 1 are pretty fucking awful.  Older boy threw a toothbrush at me, only to twat the baby in his head instead.  Both crying.

Worse things have happened on my watch!

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #292 on: April 24, 2020, 09:10:21 am »
Finally getting a proper office chair delivered next week, it was starting to kill my back not having one.

Otherwise enjoying the working from home experience, not missing the commute on the tube, my IT setup is better at home and we don't have any kids!

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #293 on: April 24, 2020, 09:18:41 am »
Finally getting a proper office chair delivered next week, it was starting to kill my back not having one.

Otherwise enjoying the working from home experience, not missing the commute on the tube, my IT setup is better at home and we don't have any kids!

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #294 on: April 24, 2020, 09:22:09 am »
Kids and family being at home is actually what’s making this bearable for me.  I couldn’t deal with the isolation of working from home before - it’s not that I’m Mr Sociable at work normally, but I do seem to need a certain low level buzz in the background, and ours are self-entertaining enough (6 and 9) to let me crack on when I need to.

I’m lucky though in that I can be as flexible as I like unless really under the cosh - that’s happened twice in lockdown so far - so we can do schools and stuff most days.  Sitting at the kitchen table and going at it 9-to-5 everyday, I think I’d be dying to get back to the office if that was how it was.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #295 on: April 24, 2020, 09:32:12 am »
I'm gonna be honest, I'm lazy so enjoy working from home. I have done next to fuck all for a month and I don't want it to end. I used to do what I needed to do in a day in about 2 hours in our office, so had to pretend work for half the day usually, now I don't need to do that as nobodys watching me!

Really not looking forward to going back, had it way to good and it'll take sometime to get back into the reality

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: April 24, 2020, 09:43:21 am »
Our chief executive has sent us all a video which suggested that given we have had to work from home (something that was not allowed prior to this) for the last five weeks, once the lockdown is over they are going to look into seeing if they can be more flexible with allowing us to do it. Hopefully this will be true of lots of companies. I've not enjoyed working from home personally, but it would definitely be more convenient for a lot of people.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #297 on: April 24, 2020, 09:47:41 am »
I'm gonna be honest, I'm lazy so enjoy working from home. I have done next to fuck all for a month and I don't want it to end. I used to do what I needed to do in a day in about 2 hours in our office, so had to pretend work for half the day usually, now I don't need to do that as nobodys watching me!

Really not looking forward to going back, had it way to good and it'll take sometime to get back into the reality

I think the reality of many office jobs is that you do not need an 8-hour day to complete your workload. And many don't even require you to be in an office.  I've worked from home for 15 years and often power through what I need done and then have time to do other things.  Some weeks I'll work 14 hours a day for 2-3 days and have the rest of the week off.  If it's nice outside, I work early in the morning and late in the evening and get to relax and enjoy the best part of the day.

There's no way I would ever be comfortable back in an office with set hours.

At the moment, I'm unemployed because of C19, but I honestly haven't had a single minute of boredom. I'm always wishing for a few extra hours in the day. Making music, writing, baking, cooking, DIY... I could easily fill the rest of my days that way. *crosses fingers for a lottery win*

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: April 24, 2020, 09:47:49 am »
Our chief executive has sent us all a video which suggested that given we have had to work from home (something that was not allowed prior to this) for the last five weeks, once the lockdown is over they are going to look into seeing if they can be more flexible with allowing us to do it. Hopefully this will be true of lots of companies. I've not enjoyed working from home personally, but it would definitely be more convenient for a lot of people.

I cant see this happening with mine, they are very old school, good to know other companies are though as I will just look to move to one of them.

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #299 on: April 24, 2020, 10:11:12 am »
Kids and family being at home is actually what’s making this bearable for me.  I couldn’t deal with the isolation of working from home before - it’s not that I’m Mr Sociable at work normally, but I do seem to need a certain low level buzz in the background, and ours are self-entertaining enough (6 and 9) to let me crack on when I need to.

I’m lucky though in that I can be as flexible as I like unless really under the cosh - that’s happened twice in lockdown so far - so we can do schools and stuff most days.  Sitting at the kitchen table and going at it 9-to-5 everyday, I think I’d be dying to get back to the office if that was how it was.

I'm the opposite, I'm pretty intolerant and anti-social at the best of times ;D and I'm now a bit worried that when I go back to the office they are all going to drive me up the fucking wall with their annoying habits (they did anyway tbf but now it'll be heightened as I've got used to the peace and quiet). I'm actually doing more work at home as I'm less stressed out by everyone I think.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #300 on: April 24, 2020, 10:12:43 am »

I reckon a lot will start to do this, especially if it means they can save money on renting office space in a lot of cases. I'd definitely be up for it, or some kind of split home/office time at least.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #301 on: April 24, 2020, 10:13:31 am »
I cant see this happening with mine, they are very old school, good to know other companies are though as I will just look to move to one of them.

Certainly sounds like you be a valuable asset to any of them. :D

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #302 on: April 24, 2020, 10:14:38 am »
I reckon a lot will start to do this, especially if it means they can save money on renting office space in a lot of cases. I'd definitely be up for it, or some kind of split home/office time at least.

Obviously a lot of industries are going to be badly hit by all this but when things go back to normal I reckon surveyors and anyone trying to rent out office space will struggle.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #303 on: April 24, 2020, 10:15:09 am »
Anyone else thought this morning it was Saturday?

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #304 on: April 24, 2020, 10:54:03 am »

We've all had paycuts due to COVID (they have tried to be fair by giving larger % cuts to the higher paid), I've already told my boss that I have any choice in the matter, I have no intention of being back in the office regularly until that situation reverses, I think he feels the same to be honest.

At the moment the prospect of regular commuting on the tube really isn't attractive, and avoiding it saves some cash.

My wife works from home as well so its not as if I am stuck in solitary confinement all day.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #305 on: April 24, 2020, 11:01:25 am »
We've all had paycuts due to COVID (they have tried to be fair by giving larger % cuts to the higher paid), I've already told my boss that I have any choice in the matter, I have no intention of being back in the office regularly until that situation reverses, I think he feels the same to be honest.

At the moment the prospect of regular commuting on the tube really isn't attractive, and avoiding it saves some cash.

My wife works from home as well so its not as if I am stuck in solitary confinement all day.

I got furloughed on 1st April and got my first wage today - I'm down £297, but after deducting fuel and kids school meals I'm about £190 down. Seeing as how I have saved my marriage, got more relaxed with the kids, got loads of jobs done and feel so much happier, its been well worth it.

My line manager rings about once every 10 days, he's already changed his attitude from us not working from home to being 100% for it. There will be a real appetite for it, especially when the bosses realise that they don't need to rent two 100 yard long floors in a building and can possibly even move out of the building and utilise existing units we have around Manchester to create office space.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #306 on: April 24, 2020, 02:02:09 pm »

The isolation of remote working is getting to me, but if there was no pandemic, I could pop in the office a day a week or go out after working from home. So after the pandemic and I’m more used to remote working, I could see it giving a better work life balance, but it’s the isolation that’s getting to me at the moment. We had a video meeting today, which made me feel better.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #307 on: April 24, 2020, 02:06:02 pm »
The isolation of remote working is getting to me, but if there was no pandemic, I could pop in the office a day a week or go out after working from home. So after the pandemic and I’m more used to remote working, I could see it giving a better work life balance, but it’s the isolation that’s getting to me at the moment. We had a video meeting today, which made me feel better.

Yeah, it's difficult to judge this as a realistic WFH situation at the moment - if the rest of your life was "normal" and you could go out with your friends, to the match, etc, I think a lot more people would be more positive about WFH, it's just at such an extreme atm.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #308 on: April 24, 2020, 02:07:55 pm »
Yeah, it's difficult to judge this as a realistic WFH situation at the moment - if the rest of your life was "normal" and you could go out with your friends, to the match, etc, I think a lot more people would be more positive about WFH, it's just at such an extreme atm.

Yeah, I have worked from home in the past and it was a lot different. I sometimes went to a cafe, or even a pub, to do some work when I had cabin fever.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #309 on: April 24, 2020, 02:23:11 pm »

Been saying this for ages. Pandora's box is open now and smart companies will see the benefit of this

- Lower utility/rent bills by requiring less office space
- Lower carbon output from buildings/commuting
- Employees happier due to better work/life balance

I think you'll also see plenty of employees having difficulties transitioning back as well. For example, introverts who have  been able to work quietly at home might be more distracted when they return.

Also I can see companies realizing that if a 2nd wave is predicted to return in September, they might as well keep as many employees as possible working from home throughout the summer, rather than have things stop-start.

I find during our weekly meetings, the people currently having the biggest issues with this are extroverts and a workaholic boomer who keeps going into our office to grab files and hasn't yet grasped that deadlines/approaches for a lot of things have gone out the window.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #310 on: April 24, 2020, 02:28:26 pm »
I used to go to the office two times a week for meetings and stuff, collect some mail, things like that. Most of my work was done from home, but I used to shave for those odd days I put on a tie. Haven't shaved for four weeks and I'm actually impressed with the beard I can grow. Had some online meetings and most of my clients have got similar beards.

Going to be like Lord Of The Rings once this is done. Bet Gillette have lost a fortune.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #311 on: April 24, 2020, 02:29:54 pm »
I also think there's a massive difference between temporary measures like now and setting yourself up permanently.

Most won't have the correct height desks, the correct lighting or seating.  Nor a designated work area that you can move away from for breaks etc.

I know not everybody has the space as they've not had to before but most would change how they've been working since the lockdown.

Also those who are dealing with kids at home too won't have that except during school holidays.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 02:31:32 pm by reddebs »

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: April 24, 2020, 02:37:05 pm »
Been saying this for ages. Pandora's box is open now and smart companies will see the benefit of this

- Lower utility/rent bills by requiring less office space
- Lower carbon output from buildings/commuting
- Employees happier due to better work/life balance

I think you'll also see plenty of employees having difficulties transitioning back as well. For example, introverts who have  been able to work quietly at home might be more distracted when they return.

Also I can see companies realizing that if a 2nd wave is predicted to return in September, they might as well keep as many employees as possible working from home throughout the summer, rather than have things stop-start.

I find during our weekly meetings, the people currently having the biggest issues with this are extroverts and a workaholic boomer who keeps going into our office to grab files and hasn't yet grasped that deadlines/approaches for a lot of things have gone out the window.

Also think a lot of people had to develop new skills in using remote working technology - conference calls, vpn login etc and will be more prepared to carry on working that way. And employers will realise they can let them do that.

Also agree that the current situation is not the normal wfh. Half my work at the moment is dealing with tons of extra admin and constant video meetings from managers to keep us informed/check up on us. Without that, I might actually get some work done.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #313 on: April 24, 2020, 02:39:25 pm »
It also has made me realise how much I'd love a permanent wfh job. I finally manage to get 8 hours sleep without losing 3 hours of the day commuting.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #314 on: April 24, 2020, 02:42:23 pm »
Yeah I show up as an introvert on the good old Myers Briggs test, so maybe not a shock that I have been happy enough working from home (still miss the rest of social life obviously)

Ignoring the time and money saved on commute, my workload also varies significantly across the month, when its busy it is very busy, when it is quieter it is nice no longer having to look busy now when I'm at home!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 02:45:11 pm by filopastry »

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #315 on: April 24, 2020, 02:42:32 pm »
I also think there's a massive difference between temporary measures like now and setting yourself up permanently.

Most won't have the correct height desks, the correct lighting or seating.  Nor a designated work area that you can move away from for breaks etc.

I know not everybody has the space as they've not had to before but most would change how they've been working since the lockdown.

Also those who are dealing with kids at home too won't have that except during school holidays.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Yeah, definitely. I'm working at my kitchen table with a chair from work that isn't my usual one as it fitted in my car easier! I have cables trailing across the floor and the table is too small. If I was permanently WFH I'd do a proper set up in the spare room with a proper desk and my fancy office chair. We were emailed a workspace thing from HR to check but who is going to have the ideal office set-up when this has been plonked on us all at short notice?

However, on the plus side, I'm definitely getting less headaches due to being able to control the lighting and temperature in the room myself!

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #316 on: April 24, 2020, 02:52:22 pm »
Also think a lot of people had to develop new skills in using remote working technology - conference calls, vpn login etc and will be more prepared to carry on working that way. And employers will realise they can let them do that.

Yep. Our work currently has a 1 day a week work at home option, but it's almost marketed as a vacation day and you need permission to do it. I can't see it being treated like that after this. And if anything people will want it expanded after this. I'd love a permanent option after this of just going in twice a week to sign things/grab paper files, but I think long-term even things like signatures will be digital.

One of the things that has always annoyed me at my work is the sheer amount of duplicate paper copies my work prints up to keep on file/send to government in the form of affidavits, when we already send them electronic copies of the same documents and have multiple electronic copies saved throughout our internal databases. I think this crisis has shown the stupidity of it and hopefully it will change.

also agree that the current situation is not the normal wfh. Half my work at the moment is dealing with tons of extra admin and constant video meetings from managers to keep us informed/check up on us. Without that, I might actually get some work done.

True. I think at our work some haven't figured out the digital walk over to the desk equivalent is using the corporate IM system, rather than email. I've noticed people will respond back quicker to the former than to an email

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: April 24, 2020, 03:18:44 pm »

my work has done pay deferrals for those on £100k+ and I’ve had to defer my raise and bonus, we’ve been trialling wfh one day a week but I’ve been resisting this as I actually like being in the office (and I have one of the longer commutes on our floor) but I will probably try it when things get back to normal

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #318 on: April 24, 2020, 03:42:50 pm »
Taken today off. Means I’ve been concentrating on helping the children full time and frankly I’d rather have done an hour each way on the Central Line to get some peace and quiet in the office!

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #319 on: April 24, 2020, 03:52:39 pm »
Taken today off. Means I’ve been concentrating on helping the children full time and frankly I’d rather have done an hour each way on the Central Line to get some peace and quiet in the office!

We don't have kids, but I'm getting to the point where I may have to do this.

Im lucky in that my work has always allowed me to work from home. But I'm finding this increasingly tough. Not because I miss the people in the office or I'm working longer hours.

It's just I never "leave" work as the office is literally there. First world problems and in the light of what other people are going through its nothing.