Author Topic: James Milner - El Burro Magnifico  (Read 578492 times)

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
Re: James Milner - El Burro Magnifico
« Reply #3440 on: February 12, 2022, 10:57:55 pm »
https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/jurgen-klopp-james-milners-future

Interesting that Jurgen’s talking about this, I do think there’s still room for him in the squad for the cup and cameo appearances here and there in the league. Be a massive loss behind the scenes and you can tell how much the younger lads look up to the likes of him and Hendo.

Another one year deal, with potential coaching opportunities seems like a good deal all round, for me.
AHA!

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3441 on: February 12, 2022, 11:03:20 pm »

Interesting that Jurgen’s talking about this, I do think there’s still room for him in the squad for the cup and cameo appearances here and there in the league. Be a massive loss behind the scenes and you can tell how much the younger lads look up to the likes of him and Hendo.

Another one year deal, with potential coaching opportunities seems like a good deal all round, for me.

He'll be playing, but it won't be for us.

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #3442 on: February 12, 2022, 11:04:34 pm »

I think a 2 yr deal with planned transition to coaching would be excellent for all parties. We have a lot of top quality young players coming up and milner has an affinity with guiding them and leading through example and professionalism. Those are the non-tangibles that can be difficult to replace. I think this is good news if it comes through.

Offline 67CherryRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3443 on: February 12, 2022, 11:09:57 pm »
I think if Leeds are in for him he'll almost certainly go there, he'll play more there. If they're not, I think he'll stay. I can't see him anywhere else.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #3444 on: February 12, 2022, 11:18:37 pm »
If true then like almost every great sportsman he’s in the denial phase of his career that happens near the end. Sadly he hasn’t looked looked like a top half of the premier league level player this season
If he wants to keep playing then that’s his prerogative and he’ll he able to do a job for someone but it shouldn’t be here as there shouldn’t be minutes for him any longer
If however he wants to coach we should be locking him down immediately and trying to persuade him that’s where his future lies as he has all the tools to be excellent at it

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3445 on: February 12, 2022, 11:33:39 pm »
If true then like almost every great sportsman he’s in the denial phase of his career that happens near the end. Sadly he hasn’t looked looked like a top half of the premier league level player this season
If he wants to keep playing then that’s his prerogative and he’ll he able to do a job for someone but it shouldn’t be here as there shouldn’t be minutes for him any longer
If however he wants to coach we should be locking him down immediately and trying to persuade him that’s where his future lies as he has all the tools to be excellent at it

Calling it denial is a bit unfair, footballing careers are short and if he wants to keep his going for as long as he can, even if that means dropping down a level or two, that's totally understandable. There's plenty of time for him to get into coaching if that's what he wants to do, his window of opportunity to kick balls for money is very short.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3446 on: February 12, 2022, 11:36:51 pm »
I mean the obv thing for us is to move him into a player coach type role, with little if the former. I can’t see him wanting that for at least a season though as I imagine he thinks he’s fit enough to play regularly for a season or two.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #3447 on: February 12, 2022, 11:57:40 pm »
Calling it denial is a bit unfair, footballing careers are short and if he wants to keep his going for as long as he can, even if that means dropping down a level or two, that's totally understandable. There's plenty of time for him to get into coaching if that's what he wants to do, his window of opportunity to kick balls for money is very short.

Yeah totally - I meant denial about his / their level not about playing
And 100% agree he should play as long as he likes
I do wish he’d coach here though, he’s got the football intelligence and personality to manage us one day 

Offline kasperoff

• Legacy Fan
  • What happened to Sabu?
« Reply #3448 on: February 13, 2022, 12:10:10 am »

Nailed it. Absolute servant, but his time is up with Liverpool. We won't win trophies on sentiment. I've caught shit for this viewpoint on other threads, but the success of the the club comes first. We're not a retirement village.
I think the same, can't stand him, but if you could have a £1million pound cheque or steve bruces head hollowed out and filled with pound coins which would you have?

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #3449 on: February 13, 2022, 12:23:14 am »
Personally I hope he signs a new five year contract with guaranteed playing time just to mess with the RAWK Armchair Managers Associaton  ;D
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 12:37:35 am by Ghost Town »
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #3450 on: February 13, 2022, 12:36:41 am »
Personally I hope he signs a new five year contract with guaranteed playing time just to mess with the RAWK Armchair Mangers Associaton  ;D

all Day. at 250 a week guaranteed until he comes 4th or lower in the shit test at camp.  ;D
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3451 on: February 13, 2022, 12:39:59 am »
Nailed it. Absolute servant, but his time is up with Liverpool. We won't win trophies on sentiment. I've caught shit for this viewpoint on other threads, but the success of the the club comes first. We're not a retirement village.

If Klopp wants him to stay for another season it won't be for sentiment. He's on £120k per week and takes up a spot in a squad with a bunch of young talent breaking through. Klopp will want him for experience, availability (nearly alway fit), leadership (captain) and versatility.

This has just been posted in the transfer thread.

Interesting take from Jurgen on the players over 30 ...

https://twitter.com/carlmarkham/status/1492627072929308675
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Online Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3452 on: February 13, 2022, 12:44:26 am »
https://twitter.com/neiljonesgoal/status/1492629645619040261

Club is talking to him regarding a new contract.

"Jurgen Klopp says Liverpool will hold talks with James Milner over a new contract.

“There are talks, but like always, we usually don’t comment further on that.

“But yes, the club will be in talks with Milly, so we will see. There is no chance that Milly will retire."

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #3453 on: February 13, 2022, 06:18:49 am »

That’s not for you to decide. If the manager wants it we should be enabling it to happen.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3454 on: February 13, 2022, 07:12:09 am »
if klopp and the club thinks the can do a decent job as squad player or cheerleader in the dressing room, i dont see why not extend his contract if it works out within our budget.

it all depends on james though, surely he has some sort of target education transitioning into less game time and more coaching time.

love to see him taking the piss out of the 2050 pre season lactate test  :P

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3455 on: February 13, 2022, 10:48:58 am »
All I saw last night was whoppers moaning about us being willing to do this, despite not having Salah tied down, like the two are in any way related whatsoever.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3456 on: February 13, 2022, 11:42:09 am »
All I saw last night was whoppers moaning about us being willing to do this, despite not having Salah tied down, like the two are in any way related whatsoever.

Does Milner want payment in magic beans or something? Because if he wants money I’m pretty sure there’s a connection.

Offline edeyj

• Legacy Fan
  • 1-2,1-2-3,1-2-3-4...5-0
« Reply #3457 on: February 15, 2022, 11:28:11 am »
The Echo have published a tweet from Fabrizio Romano stating Jimmy has been offered a one year extension.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3458 on: February 15, 2022, 11:31:16 am »
Does Milner want payment in magic beans or something? Because if he wants money I’m pretty sure there’s a connection.

I'm pretty sure there isn't, as if money was that tight that paying Milner meant we couldn't resign Salah then we'd not be looking to do it.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3459 on: February 15, 2022, 11:33:33 am »
Wouldn't shock me if we wanted to keep him so he stays in and amongst the coaches, and around the youth team, no point him going to Leeds for a year or two if he is going to come back in the Academy here for example.

My theory anyway.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3460 on: February 15, 2022, 11:36:37 am »
If he gets an extension on a reduced salary, or maybe a more appearance-based contract, then I think there's definitely value there.  But he should in no way be earning the same wages he is now.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline klopptopia

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3461 on: February 15, 2022, 11:39:41 am »
If he gets an extension on a reduced salary, or maybe a more appearance-based contract, then I think there's definitely value there.  But he should in no way be earning the same wages he is now.

I suspect his wage dropped a bit when he got his last extension to be fair.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3462 on: February 15, 2022, 11:46:10 am »
I suspect his wage dropped a bit when he got his last extension to be fair.

Yeah likely, as his original contract included his signing on bonus paid over the length.

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3463 on: February 15, 2022, 11:56:49 am »
Along with Matip he's got to be up there as one of our best ever free transfers.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Mod
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #3464 on: February 15, 2022, 12:14:47 pm »

Completely understand this perspective, but I also expect that there's an awful lot of 'unseen' value that James Milner offers us that it's very difficult to put a price on. I feel it's fair to suggest that his off-pitch value could be increasing even if his on-pitch value (due to reduced appearances/time) diminishes - his experience & leadership will offer so much to new & younger members of the squad, and I'm not sure it's as simple as 'he plays less; pay him less'.

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3465 on: February 15, 2022, 12:19:46 pm »
Good for him. And us.  :scarf

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3466 on: February 15, 2022, 12:20:19 pm »
Completely understand this perspective, but I also expect that there's an awful lot of 'unseen' value that James Milner offers us that it's very difficult to put a price on. I feel it's fair to suggest that his off-pitch value could be increasing even if his on-pitch value (due to reduced appearances/time) diminishes - his experience & leadership will offer so much to new & younger members of the squad, and I'm not sure it's as simple as 'he plays less; pay him less'.

Yeah that's the value I was speaking about.  He's a great person to have in a squad and hugely positive influence.  But he can't be a part of the playing squad forever, and it's already arguable that he shouldn't be getting minutes for a team at the top of the tree this season as it is.  If he feels he can still contribute, then that's great, but we're not shitting money like Chelsea, City and Utd and wages need to be controlled.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3467 on: February 15, 2022, 12:22:35 pm »
People do have funny ideas about footballers wages :D A fantasy world where Milner, Mane, Firmino, Henderson, Ox and Keita all take paycuts to stay.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3468 on: February 15, 2022, 12:34:11 pm »
People do have funny ideas about footballers wages :D A fantasy world where Milner, Mane, Firmino, Henderson, Ox and Keita all take paycuts to stay.

It's not that strange thinking player's wages as they get older can shift down, their negotiating position isn't great as not likely they can argue (to take Bobby as an example) there is a team willing to match or better his current £180k a week even if he did move on a free.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3469 on: February 15, 2022, 12:46:26 pm »

Absolutely. Milner brings far more to the club than simply his football.

I don't know how much a coach typically earns in comparison to a player, but transitioning to a coaching role makes a lot of sense. He's been playing for 20 years ffs - if that isn't a shining example to a young lad looking to carve a career for himself, then I don't know what is.

Coaching is a secure job compared to the actual football, where you're only as good as your next contract, or even  your next game. I'd love him to stay at the club in some role.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline TAA66

• Kopite
  • Nobody grows up wanting to be a Gary Neville
« Reply #3470 on: February 15, 2022, 01:10:51 pm »

Strange move from the club if looking at playing in isolation, but makes sense when you take into account leadership, example to youngsters, and i suspect a future path being laid out by the club to become one of the youth coaches - that’s where we’ll be getting the value of this extension

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3471 on: February 15, 2022, 01:55:35 pm »
It's not that strange thinking player's wages as they get older can shift down, their negotiating position isn't great as not likely they can argue (to take Bobby as an example) there is a team willing to match or better his current £180k a week even if he did move on a free.

On the opposite side of that though, although their negotiating position isn't great, they still have the option of forcing a move (provided a team wanted them)  which even if their wages are reduced would result in a lump of cash going their way to offset that.

To be honest, I'm in favour of wages diminishing as output to the team diminishes, I just think its a lot more nuanced than, especially in Milners case, "well he only played 6 games this season so ..."
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #3472 on: February 15, 2022, 02:24:41 pm »
If Klopp wants him to stay then that's good enough for me, it wont be just about minutes it will be about off the pitch stuff too, which most of us will never know about.

Pretty sure Jurgen will know the score with Salah's contract too, so I don't really see them being related personally.
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3473 on: February 15, 2022, 02:31:33 pm »
Would love a 100k a week for off the pitch stuff. ;D

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #3474 on: February 15, 2022, 02:36:00 pm »
Very odd decision by the club.

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
« Reply #3475 on: February 15, 2022, 02:47:51 pm »
Keeping or even buying an 'experienced head' is absolutely fine, remember Alex Manninger?

However, there lies a problem with this particular scenario and that is Milner is already on very high wages.

He's definitely worth having in the squad as a wise head, commands respect and leads by example but as a player I think the tank has run empty now.

If it were me, I'd let Milner go for a year or 2, finish up his career back at Leeds, then return as part of the coaching setup.
FAME makes a man take things over

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Mod
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #3476 on: February 15, 2022, 02:48:02 pm »
Would love a 100k a week for off the pitch stuff. ;D

Very odd decision by the club.

We're not privvy to the degree to which the likes of Milner and Henderson have, do, and will act as mentors to Trent beforehand, Jones recently, and Elliott now. Can often be fine margins at play when it comes to youngsters making it or not, and it's not for us (it's pretty much impossible anyway) to put a price on it. Can't see any reason to doubt/distrust those in & around the decision-making process.

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #3477 on: February 15, 2022, 02:51:02 pm »
Jurgen wants him, that speaks volumes. Milner on our bench allows us to have a left back, right back and centre mid all combined into one player. That frees up space for more attackers etc on the bench. Great influence around the team. Id like him to stay
YNWA

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #3478 on: February 15, 2022, 03:20:11 pm »
Really hope he starts his coaching badges next season if he signs the extension
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #3479 on: February 15, 2022, 03:22:36 pm »
Really hope he starts his coaching badges next season if he signs the extension
he is already taking them
YNWA