Author Topic: "War. War never changes". Fallout TV show now available  (Read 2236 times)

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
"War. War never changes". Fallout TV show now available
« on: December 4, 2023, 12:01:49 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/0kQ8i2FpRDk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/0kQ8i2FpRDk</a>

When I saw this the other day I honestly couldn't remember if I'd read about this project during the last few years, it seems familiar but maybe that's just because they've absolutely nailed the look and feel of the post-apocalyptic world from the games.

No idea if they're taking inspiration from story threads from any of the games or if it's an entirely new thing. The Brotherhood of Steel clearly present but they can be either protagonists or antagonists as needed (looks like one of their unarmoured members might be a main character) - no shots of the Enclave, or Supermutants, but the latter will be in it I'm sure.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 09:06:29 am by Riquende »
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
I don't know. It looks way too clean and colourful. Fallout vibe for me is moments of quirkiness and humour scattered around in a bleak ocean of danger, violence and desperation. All of these actors, even the ghoul guy, look freshly showered - not like someone who is eating ratioactive rats and insects on a daily basis. I'll check it out once it's out, but not very hyped up about it after this trailer.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Wow. Wow. Wow Wow.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Undecided on this, but will definitely be watching.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
I'm definitely in.

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
Looks a little too barren in some shots.

But it’s got Goggins, so I’m of course watching it.
AHA!

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/V-mugKDQDlg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/V-mugKDQDlg</a>
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/V-mugKDQDlg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/V-mugKDQDlg</a>

Nice, looks fun, will give it a go

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Obviously plot details are thin, but they've nailed the aesthetics.

Offline dimwit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • this is what depression will do to you
Like as Zlen said, this needs to be more gritty, more dirty, more worn down to be a Fallout.

It's not like the industry doesn't know how to make things look like that, Saving private Ryan and Band of Brothers are examples how you can change the whole film/series by just choosing how to film it versus digital or in actual film, and since it's been more that 20 years from those, I'd assume this all could be done in post production from minimal or no cost nowadays.

It's annoying the living shit out of me how the film industry is yearning to make film adaptations look more clean, as the do in gaming, while the gaming industry is trying to make things look more natural/dirty/gritty as they should.  In gaming it all comes down to how much more resources are needed from your hardware to render the attire/moisture/dirt/lightning/any other variable that affects the looks of the character. You have to compromize with your vision and with what you can except from your target audience to be able to reproduce with the system they are playing it with.

In cinema it's an artistic choice. And I don't like it.

That said, I have too many thousands of hours invested in fallout games for not to look forward to this. Love the lore, and this particular dystopia.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
Re: "War. War never changes". Fallout TV show coming to Amazon Prime 11/04
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2024, 04:20:31 pm »
I have no idea what Fallout is all about. I know it's a game but haven't a clue.  So i will hit this completely blind - as much as i did with The Last of Us

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2024, 05:00:50 pm »
I have no idea what Fallout is all about. I know it's a game but haven't a clue.  So i will hit this completely blind - as much as i did with The Last of Us

Potted description:

History diverges from ours during the mid-20th century, no specifics but essentially development follows down the sort of path that 1950s scifi 'predicted', with nuclear power being far more widespread (small nuclear reactors powering cars, battlesuits, floating robots etc). The 1950s 'Americana' aesthetic thus dictates a lot of the culture & architecture of the "future". Throughout the 21st century increasing wars are fought over dwindling resources, primarily between the US and China, which culminates in the 'great war' of 2077, a 1-day Nuclear Holocaust that pretty much wipes out global civilisation. The games are generally set 100-200 years past this as the series goes on, and take place in various locations across the US, with a variety of regional factions in play.

The Vaults were a series of underground bunkers made by Vault-Tec in the face of the possible upcoming disaster. On the face of it these were purely protective for anyone buying space for their family, however the real truth was that each Vault ran its own horrific social engineering experiment, carrying out research on the unsuspecting human population once sealed in.

The games aren't really linked and there are very few constants that turn up (outside of the guns, robots, generic post-apoc raiders & mutants etc). One is the Brotherhood of Steel, a national faction descended from the US Army who extensively use the powered battle suits and believe nobody else should have access to advanced technology. It's their airship seen in the trailer, and they can be considered either allies or villains in the different games depending on which local factions are sided with/quest lines followed.

Edit: I should also say that I don't expect the series to follow the plot of any particular game too closely, several of them have followed a Vault-dweller leaving the vault for the first time and having to learn how to deal wth the wasteland, but the overall stories are different each time. We do see the flag of the NCR (New California Republic, a relatively large and civilised area of the West Coast with a functioning Govt & Military) in a battle with the Brotherhood, and one of the main characters seems to be one of the Brothers by themselves, so maybe an Outcast. So on the surface the Brotherhood could be the villains of the piece. But it could all be a smokescreen!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 06:42:04 pm by Riquende »

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2024, 05:16:51 pm »
Wait is that Matt Berry voicing the Mister Handy?
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2024, 06:29:59 pm »
Wait is that Matt Berry voicing the Mister Handy?
I believe it is, yes. The presence of him and Goggins make me think this might be worth watching. Very much hope so anyway.

Offline dimwit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • this is what depression will do to you
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2024, 11:41:16 am »
So we have a timeline and location for the series,
the Fallout show takes place 219 years after the Great War, in the year 2296, which is only 9 years after Fallout 4 (2287) and 15 years after Fallout: New Vegas (2281). Finally, we know the show takes place in Los Angeles, California.

from here: https://www.pcgamer.com/todd-howard-says-the-fallout-tv-show-is-canon-so-of-course-fans-are-already-picking-it-apart/

So it should be canon to which ever way you decided to play it out in the commonwealth.

Fans of the games should know that everything in the series is officially part of Fallout lore, and Bethesda was careful to make sure the scripts could coexist with previous storylines from the gaming titles. “We view what’s happening in the show as canon,” says Howard. “That’s what’s great, when someone else looks at your work and then translates it in some fashion.” He admits to being envious of some of the TV show’s interpretations and additions: “I sort of looked at it like, ‘Ah, why didn’t we do that?’”

Howard says he and Bethesda were sold when Nolan and his team proposed building an entirely new story within the existing realm Fallout. “I did not want to do an interpretation of an existing story we did,” Howard says. “That was the other thing—a lot of pitches were, you know, ‘This is the movie of Fallout 3…’ I was like, ‘Yeah, we told that story.’ I don’t have a lot of interest seeing those translated. I was interested in someone telling a unique Fallout story. Treat it like a game. It gives the creators of the series their own playground to play in.”
from: https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2023/11/fallout-first-look

This makes me feel more optimistic about the upcoming series, like they would not just shit on their fans like gearbox did with Borderlands, but it remains to be seen.

Regarding the story, or the lack of, between the franchise games to which @Riquende referenced in their post, there are a lot of hidden bits of lore which you might not pick up if you only speedrun the storyline in each of the games. Or the next playthrough. Or the fifth.

One of the non influental npc's in Fallout 3 is a child at the time, which you will not meet if you are not exploring the game for just the heck of it, who you'll encounter later in Fallout 4 as a npc follower, again if you choose to.

Bits and pieces like that are hidden throughout the franchise where while they do not matter for your everyday gamer who just runs through the story and moves on to the next game, but what will matter for enthusiasts.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2024, 09:19:21 am »
Out tomorrow:

Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
Re: "War. War never changes". Fallout TV show now available
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2024, 09:06:47 am »
I assume nobody wants to risk coming in here until they've seen all the episodes for fear of spoilers? Suppose that's the trouble with a series dumped all in one go, you never know where anybody else is up to.

Only seen the first so far, no complaints except the minor niggling thought that if the vaults did have these interconnecting doors then surely after 200+ years, with concerns about the gene pool, all the doors would have been thrown open long ago and all the vaults would exist as one huge underground mingled city?

It does look like we'll be seeing a lot more of the pre-war world and what Vault-Tec were up to (which is great, I was worried they'd focus entirely on the surface adventures and not delve into the true horrors of the vaults), so maybe this tweak and niggle will have a good answer.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2024, 09:12:58 am »
Really enjoyed the first 2 episodes. Something didn't feel quite right inside the vaults but can't quite put my finger on it, but feels just like the game universe now it's set outside the vaults.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2024, 09:15:49 am »
Starting this tonight, can't wait.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2024, 09:19:41 am »
Binged it all, it’s excellent. The three story arcs are really tied well together, although I was mainly interested in Goggins’…because…well it’s Walton Goggins.
AHA!

Online Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2024, 09:20:00 am »
I've only seen the first episode. I liked the show, but wasn't a fan of the way they structured the episode.

The way they did it felt more like a bunch of mini-episodes, rather than one flowing episode of TV. I think that detracted from it a little. The vault stuff was excellent, but to me it felt a bit dull to spend 30 mins on the Brotherhood (which was still interesting enough) - would have preferred they just went back and forth more. First episode didn't need to be 75 minutes either, could easily have trimmed some fat.

But the lead is excellent, the world building has been strong and it has Walton Goggins, so I'm expecting good things from the remaining episodes.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2024, 10:07:57 am »
Binged it all and it's fantastic from start to finish. Really hope it finds an audience and doesn't get forgotten so we get more seasons.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2024, 10:57:09 am »
Watched Episode 1 with the missus.

We were both impressed

Commence Operation Allerton Watching the Entire Series
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2024, 11:28:03 am »
5 episodes in now and will probably finish the rest later today or tomorrow. Can only echo what others have said, it’s brilliant.

Haven't played since Fallout 4 in 2015 so if there’s anything that doesn’t quite add up I won’t notice it which I think possibly helps. I’ll be going back to play Fallout 4 again though when they release the free next gen upgrade in a couple of weeks.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2024, 06:06:30 am »
Thought episodes 2 and 3 were a pretty marked dip from the first, but 4 and 5 were great. Of the Fallout games I've played, it really needs the Vault stories to be interesting rather than just being a series of events occurring in the Wasteland. Would binge the rest of it now if I didn't have to get up to watch the Palace match :D

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2024, 11:39:14 am »
I thought it was decent, and they did a good job of bringing that world to life. There were too many story conveniences for my liking, like how a super secretive corporation doesn't believe in locks, guards or passwords, and how food/water just got ignored for half a season, but other than that it was really enjoyable.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2024, 11:58:45 am »
Minor question from the 1st episode
Spoiler
When the raiders had everyone hostage in the Vault and made the leader (Kyle McLachlan) choose between his daughter or 5-6 others, he chose her and they put her in a secure room. Then the raiders left and detonated a bomb. But the 5-6 others had time to run away and the bomb didn't seem that big - what was the point of that? Or did they indeed die and it was just poorly directed?
[close]

The opening, pre-war scene was incredible. Overall, enjoyed ep 1 and will definitely keep watching. The lead is from Yellowjackets and was good in that as well.

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2024, 12:02:19 pm »
Spoiler
When the raiders had everyone hostage in the Vault and made the leader (Kyle McLachlan) choose between his daughter or 5-6 others, he chose her and they put her in a secure room. Then the raiders left and detonated a bomb. But the 5-6 others had time to run away and the bomb didn't seem that big - what was the point of that? Or did they indeed die and it was just poorly directed?
[close]

The opening, pre-war scene was incredible. Overall, enjoyed ep 1 and will definitely keep watching. The lead is from Yellowjackets and was good in that as well.

Spoiler
At least two of them survived so yes it was a bit pointless.
[close]
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 12:04:34 pm by Schmidt »

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2024, 01:21:12 pm »
Watched it all over 3 days, it really is fantastic

They've made the world from Fallout come to life and they've done it so well. They've nailed the humour as well and thrown in just enough gore/body horror that it just works so well

Story was great, loved how the 4 main storylines come together at the end. Love Walton Goggins and he was fantastic casting for this role. I think it was basically perfectly cast to be honest

Cannot wait to see where they go for a 2nd season. It's confirmed by Todd Howard to be canon as well. Roll on the 25th April for the next gen update for Fallout 4, can't wait to jump back in for another playthrough

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2024, 04:08:34 pm »
Only gripe (and its the same for a lot of things these days!) - why only 8 episodes?!
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2024, 04:21:05 pm »
Have watched the first two episodes and I really like it. It really captures the whole Fallout-vibe (at least as far as the newer games like Fallout3 and onwards are concerned). Haven't played the first two in any meaningful way, but immediately felt at home right at the start of the first episode with the music, the visuals and the general atmosphere in the world.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2024, 11:44:09 pm »
Spoiler
[close]

After having watched all 8 episodes:
Spoiler
It makes sense in the end, that they wouldn't necessarily have wanted to kill everyone. They just needed a distraction to leave.
[close]

I really liked what they did story-wise and how it all came together in the end. Looking forward to where this is going in the second series. Have to say, watching it felt a bit like playing the game. Yeah, you have the big story-arch, but that basically steps back at one point and it's all about getting distracted by "side-quests" or other little side-adventures. The Ghoul even says something like that one time... ;)

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2024, 11:56:33 pm »
Thoroughly enjoyed episode 1. Haven’t played a fallout game in eons but the look and feel felt right. Tone-wise, it felt more like Preacher than Westworld, which works for me.

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2024, 03:31:51 pm »
I thought it was great.
Goggin's as good as always.
Was concerned we might get another girl boss show (yawn) but they avoided that, the lead was really good.
Loads of little nods to the game which was fun and Gary Neville was surprisingly good as her brother as well.

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2024, 07:02:21 pm »
I couldn't figure out if her brother was a few years younger than her or a decade older.

Offline emergency exit

• Anny Roader
    • X-Realms
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2024, 06:24:36 am »
Hardly a surprise, but Fallout has been renewed for a second season:

https://deadline.com/2024/04/fallout-renewed-season-2-amazon-1235889742/

Online Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2024, 08:11:06 am »
Ella Purnell is ace, isn’t she? Plays it brilliantly, doe-eyed optimism being shattered by the real world. Unreal American accent too.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2024, 08:54:39 am »
I’m 5 in and thoroughly enjoying it.

I’m in for a second series, but you just know that Jonathan Nolan and Lisa joy will fuck it.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2024, 11:30:42 am »
Enjoyable watch on the whole even though I gradually lost a bit of interest as it got past the first few episodes. It started out really strong with some action and humour but I'm not sure I could tell you much of what happened from about episodes 4-7. Never played any of the games so don't really know much about what they're like. Not the best thing Amazon have done but would watch another season.

Walton Goggins was good (can never see him as anyone other than Boyd Crowder) and the lead girl was too.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2024, 08:13:17 pm »
On the whole, the acting and dialogue is strong. Definitely has Preacher vibes the more I watch. Goggins and Purnell are superb.

Spoiler
The Matt Berry Med bot needs its own spin-off
[close]