Author Topic: Restaurant Reviews for Liverpool. [Done by RAWKites]  (Read 600733 times)

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
Re: Restaurant Reviews for Liverpool. [Done by RAWKites]
« Reply #3640 on: January 8, 2020, 11:09:44 pm »
Going to Luban week after next, normally quite pricey looking but 40% off.

Anyone been?
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #3641 on: January 8, 2020, 11:18:50 pm »
Lunya overpriced for the quality of their food these days. I've always bigged them up but my last visit was so so disappointing, quality poor and portions tiny.

Would have to agree, fideua paella was pretty tasteless when we went a couple of weeks ago.
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline Momos_righteye

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3642 on: January 9, 2020, 09:10:19 am »
Going to Luban week after next, normally quite pricey looking but 40% off.

Anyone been?

Meant to be great, didn't realise it was 40% off, nice one!

• Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #3643 on: January 9, 2020, 08:45:53 pm »
Meant to be great, didn't realise it was 40% off, nice one!

Think theres a few eateries doing this in January as most people are skint...

I'll pop a review on when I've been and have some time
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3644 on: January 10, 2020, 11:36:43 am »
Done Olive Tree and Sanskruti over the last week.

Service was a bit shit in Olive Tree. Took ages to bring a bottle of wine and a pint. Cocked up one of the dishes and brought something similar but not what I ordered. Food was pretty decent though, and had 50% off food for Jan so worked out really cheap.

Sanskruti was as boss as ever. Took my gf's parents as her Dad loves a curry but he was exceptionally unsure as he loves meat. He walked out the place planning his visit to the Manchester one and put it as one of the best he's ever had. Came to about £35 a head including tip and that included a couple of bottles of wine and about 7 pints, as well as 2 sharing starters, 4 mains, loads of rice/naans, poppadoms and chutneys and 2 deserts - can't complain about that.

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3645 on: January 10, 2020, 09:38:41 pm »
First visit for ages to Il Forno on Boxing night.

Very pleasantly surprised. Beautiful light pasta dishes, nice wine and excellent desserts. Don't remember it being as good as that the last time we went. Defo going back again soon.

Becoming a bit of a regular at Belzan. First time there for breakfast - oh my, what a fantastic meal. Absolutely great place.

Just booked the barn at Moor Hall for beginning of Feb. Based on previous visits, and the stupendous dinner we had at the main restaurant before Christmas, I cant bloody wait!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 09:40:21 pm by Only Me »

Offline AA1122

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You will look down and the tea will be gone.
« Reply #3646 on: January 12, 2020, 04:29:43 pm »
A couple of my friends have just opened up a little coffee shop on Slater Street, it's called Potts Coffee, they've done it all off their own back and my friend has given up his job to do something he always dreamed of doing. It's just opposite the Shipping Forecast. The cafe has quite a clean feel, with white walls and and rustic tables. All of the food here is plant-based and there is a focus on sustainability and reducing environmental impact. I had a 'Buddha bowl' there last week and it was lovely. Sorry to plug my friend's business, but I'm genuinely impressed by what they have achieved. Feel free to censor, banish, condemn, delete etc. this post if I am breaking the rules!  it's a nice place to stop for a coffee or a bite to eat if you're in that part of town.

Still loving Maray and Mowgli. Only been Belzan once, was nice, but felt a bit similar to Maray which I prefer, staff are nice and friendly there. Always get the tiffin at Mowgli myself. For plant-based food another place I like is Guac n' Roll in Craft Taproom on Smithdown, more a pub than a restaurant. Wouldn't mind going to Spire at some point when i'm back in town.
All around you walls are tumbling down. Stop staring at the ground.

Offline Momos_righteye

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3647 on: January 13, 2020, 09:46:40 am »
A couple of my friends have just opened up a little coffee shop on Slater Street, it's called Potts Coffee, they've done it all off their own back and my friend has given up his job to do something he always dreamed of doing. It's just opposite the Shipping Forecast. The cafe has quite a clean feel, with white walls and and rustic tables. All of the food here is plant-based and there is a focus on sustainability and reducing environmental impact. I had a 'Buddha bowl' there last week and it was lovely. Sorry to plug my friend's business, but I'm genuinely impressed by what they have achieved. Feel free to censor, banish, condemn, delete etc. this post if I am breaking the rules!  it's a nice place to stop for a coffee or a bite to eat if you're in that part of town.

Sounds good, Was actually going to pop in yesterday but will deffo go in next weekend. Nice to support an independent local business

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #3648 on: January 13, 2020, 12:57:16 pm »
^^

Will pop in at some point mate as in town most days.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3649 on: January 13, 2020, 12:58:26 pm »
First visit for ages to Il Forno on Boxing night.

Very pleasantly surprised. Beautiful light pasta dishes, nice wine and excellent desserts. Don't remember it being as good as that the last time we went. Defo going back again soon.

Becoming a bit of a regular at Belzan. First time there for breakfast - oh my, what a fantastic meal. Absolutely great place.

Just booked the barn at Moor Hall for beginning of Feb. Based on previous visits, and the stupendous dinner we had at the main restaurant before Christmas, I cant bloody wait!

Belzan on Smithdown ? You must be minted. I got stung £3.50 for a half there in August.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline djphal

• Is Angry. But merked Daniel Sturridge. High Protector of Gavin's Almighty Midweek Erections.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3650 on: January 13, 2020, 05:48:35 pm »

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #3651 on: January 13, 2020, 05:54:24 pm »
http://www.laparrillarestaurant.co.uk/

Anyone been here?

Shouldn't work when you see it from the outside with what must be a 70+ year old man busking tacky mexican music halfway down Bold Street but with Burritos the size of your arm at a fairly reasonable price the tripadvisor reviews dont lie

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3652 on: January 13, 2020, 07:54:53 pm »
Lunyalita (their Albert Dock one) booked for the 1st Feb - looking forward to trying their Arroz Negro paella.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #3653 on: January 13, 2020, 09:24:17 pm »

Anyone been here?

Was boss, by the way. Dirt cheap, gigantic delicious portions, great staff. Can’t recommend highly enough, and I think they’ve an early bird menu on Sundays and Thursdays (not that it’s pricey the rest of the time).

That was the Bold Street one, been another two times since I posted that ;D

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3654 on: January 14, 2020, 08:26:04 am »
Lunyalita (their Albert Dock one) booked for the 1st Feb - looking forward to trying their Arroz Negro paella.

Didn't eat, but I did have a really nice Old Fashioned in there.

Offline djphal

• Is Angry. But merked Daniel Sturridge. High Protector of Gavin's Almighty Midweek Erections.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3655 on: January 14, 2020, 09:21:09 am »
Shouldn't work when you see it from the outside with what must be a 70+ year old man busking tacky mexican music halfway down Bold Street but with Burritos the size of your arm at a fairly reasonable price the tripadvisor reviews dont lie

yeh the reviews look really good!

That was the Bold Street one, been another two times since I posted that ;D

perfect thanks!

Offline Scouser-Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Allez, Allez, Allez...
« Reply #3656 on: January 14, 2020, 09:49:13 am »

Anyone been here?
Yeah, been a few times and the food is always great. Menu is good too with loads of options.

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3657 on: January 14, 2020, 10:24:56 am »
Yeah, been a few times and the food is always great. Menu is good too with loads of options.

Sorted, ill get booked in!

• Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #3658 on: January 14, 2020, 01:22:29 pm »
A Great man once said...
It is terribly simple."

Offline Rossie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3659 on: January 14, 2020, 08:00:28 pm »
Going to have a vegetarian with me this weekend so hoping some of you foodies could recommend somewhere that does a good veggie burger. I’ve liked free state kitchen and almost famous in the past but I don’t know what their veggie options are good?
"Some people cannot see a priest on a mountain of sugar."  Rafa Benitez, 01/Nov/'10.

Offline LOKKO

• Legacy Fan
  • what chu talkin' bout willis?
« Reply #3660 on: January 15, 2020, 08:26:23 am »
Going to have a vegetarian with me this weekend so hoping some of you foodies could recommend somewhere that does a good veggie burger. I’ve liked free state kitchen and almost famous in the past but I don’t know what their veggie options are good?
Someone recommended Down the Hatch to me but I haven't had chance to go yet

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #3661 on: January 15, 2020, 08:49:33 am »
Veggie Republic on Cook Street is really good. It’s completely vegan, but there’s lots of different stuff on the menu such as burgers, kebabs, curry’s, Jackfruit Fried Chicken etc.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #3662 on: January 15, 2020, 01:20:24 pm »
Noticed in the Echo this week that Santa Maluco on Castle Street has temporarily closed following a hygiene inspection.

Surprised at that as ate in there a few times and never had an issue at all.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3663 on: January 15, 2020, 01:27:59 pm »
Noticed in the Echo this week that Santa Maluco on Castle Street has temporarily closed following a hygiene inspection.

Surprised at that as ate in there a few times and never had an issue at all.

Looks like its a building issue rather than anything to do with the standards. Loads of listed buildings down there and they cant make loads of changes without approval

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #3664 on: January 15, 2020, 02:59:25 pm »
Awful this, and shame on TripAdvisor for not removing that horrible shite.

https://twitter.com/BundobustLiv/status/1217405704522346496

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3665 on: January 15, 2020, 03:01:18 pm »
Awful this, and shame on TripAdvisor for not removing that horrible shite.

https://twitter.com/BundobustLiv/status/1217405704522346496

What a daft twat that user is.

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #3666 on: January 15, 2020, 03:02:53 pm »

I live near Bold Street as well and it has its problems but nothing like that nonsense the reviewer's written. And even if it was that bad, it's nothing to do with the restaurant, and ah fuck it what a Tory gobshite ffs.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #3667 on: January 15, 2020, 03:57:43 pm »

'Samie' needs to make their mind up. Do they live in Paris or are they a Liverpool resident?

Ridiculous comments.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3668 on: January 15, 2020, 06:34:16 pm »
Love Bold Street. Never felt unsafe walking down there. Think the work Whitechapel and Labre House does in Liverpool is something we need to be proud of in a world of Tory policies.

I never cook a curry without a trip to Mattas.

I would love to see it pedestrianised.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3669 on: January 15, 2020, 06:40:31 pm »
Think it def needs to become pedestrianised.

Likewise, never felt unsafe there. Plus the homeless problem is not limited to Bold St, it’s rife all over the city, but I’ve never ever come across any who are anything but really nice people (other than one woman who used to try and pray on other women by saying she’d been raped and I overheard her do this numerous times and then also talking to her friend about getting a taxi back home).

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3670 on: January 15, 2020, 08:16:27 pm »

Still loving Maray and Mowgli. Only been Belzan once, was nice, but felt a bit similar to Maray which I prefer, staff are nice and friendly there. Always get the tiffin at Mowgli myself. For plant-based food another place I like is Guac n' Roll in Craft Taproom on Smithdown, more a pub than a restaurant. Wouldn't mind going to Spire at some point when i'm back in town.

I went about 6pm aearlier and it was closed

;D

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline AA1122

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You will look down and the tea will be gone.
« Reply #3671 on: January 16, 2020, 05:32:27 pm »
I went about 6pm aearlier and it was closed

;D

Aha! Sorry mate, I should have said, they are open until 5 every day with the exception of their day off on Tuesday! More a daytime coffee place!
All around you walls are tumbling down. Stop staring at the ground.

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #3672 on: January 17, 2020, 01:14:50 am »

Be prepared to be disappointed by the quality for the price paid. Lunya, no longer worth the money in my opinion. I get better food for half the ptrice in a bog standard bar in Barcelona.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3673 on: January 17, 2020, 06:42:59 am »
Be prepared to be disappointed by the quality for the price paid. Lunya, no longer worth the money in my opinion. I get better food for half the ptrice in a bog standard bar in Barcelona.

Yeah I saw your post about it earlier in this thread - it’s had quite a lot of recent decent reviews though and seems the best Spanish place in Liverpool still. Unfortunately we’re not in Barcelona though  ;D

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3674 on: January 19, 2020, 04:20:19 pm »
Mowgli booked for a few weeks time. First visit since August. Can't wait!
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3675 on: January 21, 2020, 11:23:39 pm »
Down the Hatch - not great.

So it’s billed as a vegan/veggie comfort/fast food type stuff, and the menu looks pretty good. I’m a meat eater but my gf is doing veganuary (and does no-meat periods regularly) so we decided to go here before a comedy gig at Hot Water tonight.

Disappointed is putting it lightly as the menu and social pics looked great.

The two ‘sides’ we got were halloumi fingers and sweet corn ribs. Both were very good. Unlike some places it was decent quality halloumi and you got a good amount of it too (big thick ‘fingers’). Sweet corn ribs were different and sauce was very nice, really tasty.

The mains though...another story. We both got the Mac Burger - basically a fried mac and cheese burger. The bun was way over toasted so was solid, and the mac burger was so dense and stodgy it was nearly inedible. It was just so dry. We asked for some more of the cheese sauce and turns out this wasn’t some proper vegan cheese but basically puréed butter nut squash - so it had no decent flavour at all.

On the side we had vegan poutine fries... tasteless. The gravy was non existent and the ‘cheese’ was the same puréed butternut squash. Under seasoned (or not seasoned at all I think) and no salt on table either.

We maybe picked wrong, as the sides were really nice, but I couldn’t recommend it from that.

Offline Tame_Impala

• You wanna know why I always think I’m right?
  • Main Stander
  • I'll tell you why...
« Reply #3676 on: January 22, 2020, 12:01:05 pm »

So it’s billed as a vegan/veggie comfort/fast food type stuff, and the menu looks pretty good. I’m a meat eater but my gf is doing veganuary (and does no-meat periods regularly) so we decided to go here before a comedy gig at Hot Water tonight.

The two ‘sides’ we got were halloumi fingers and sweet corn ribs. Both were very good. Unlike some places it was decent quality halloumi and you got a good amount of it too (big thick ‘fingers’). Sweet corn ribs were different and sauce was very nice, really tasty.

The mains though...another story. We both got the Mac Burger - basically a fried mac and cheese burger. The bun was way over toasted so was solid, and the mac burger was so dense and stodgy it was nearly inedible. It was just so dry. We asked for some more of the cheese sauce and turns out this wasn’t some proper vegan cheese but basically puréed butter nut squash - so it had no decent flavour at all.

On the side we had vegan poutine fries... tasteless. The gravy was non existent and the ‘cheese’ was the same puréed butternut squash. Under seasoned (or not seasoned at all I think) and no salt on table either.

We maybe picked wrong, as the sides were really nice, but I couldn’t recommend it from that.

I live in the flats above Down The Hatch, me & my bird are both veggie so we've been quite a lot, never had a bad experience.

Think you may have just picked the wrong main in the mac and cheese burger as opposed to one of the meat substitute burgers, as that's what they seem to specify in and you'd probably be impressed at how authentic some of them are. A lot of the seitan (veggie chicken) burgers / goujons are brilliant. The buffallo cauliflower wings are superb too

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #3677 on: January 22, 2020, 12:37:42 pm »

Was thinking of trying here next time I’m up. Still will do, but may choose different mains 😀

Have you tried Veggie Republic on Cook Street, always been really good when I’ve been there?
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3678 on: January 22, 2020, 12:43:17 pm »
I've booked Mowgli on 28th before going to see something at the Phil. I've booked Mowgli for 1800 and need to be at the Phil for around 1930 - is that enough time? Not been before, but thinking I should move it forward [but equally not sure whether to move it forward by an hour or just half an hour....]....tips appreciated.....

I thought it was great. And loved the chat bombs fwiw.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3679 on: January 22, 2020, 12:53:32 pm »
I live in the flats above Down The Hatch, me & my bird are both veggie so we've been quite a lot, never had a bad experience.

Think you may have just picked the wrong main in the mac and cheese burger as opposed to one of the meat substitute burgers, as that's what they seem to specify in and you'd probably be impressed at how authentic some of them are. A lot of the seitan (veggie chicken) burgers / goujons are brilliant. The buffallo cauliflower wings are superb too

My gf had been before (not long ago) with a group of friends, one of which had the mac burger that she tried and said it was amazing which is why we both ended up going for it. She said it was totally different this time though, so not sure if they have a different chef or just changed the recipe for some reason. No where near enough of the ‘cheese’ on it or even the sauce to try and bite through some of the stodginess of what was basically battered cooked pasta (as apparently their fryer can’t batter pasta with the ‘cheese’ sauce on).

You can’t really forgive way over toasting the bun though, is something basic that shouldn’t be done wrong - turned it into two solid pieces of thick card board!!

I’d try it again though simply down to the sides being so nice, and think you’re right I’d be better off trying some of the seitan burgers.