Author Topic: Restaurant Reviews for Liverpool. [Done by RAWKites]  (Read 600714 times)

Offline TheRedBaron

• Mock Conkey
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Fuck With Guillem Balague!
Re: Restaurant Reviews for Liverpool. [Done by RAWKites]
« Reply #3400 on: August 4, 2019, 02:10:04 pm »
Another shout for Rudys on Castle St. I’ve been a couple of times now, best pizza in the city by a country mile

Have you been to Little Furnace on Smithdown? Wondering how it compares.
'Jimmy, I get home, I shut the curtains and I sleep'.

- Mascherano after running out of petrol, forgetting his money then being hit in his car on his way home

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #3401 on: August 5, 2019, 09:21:15 am »
Have you been to Little Furnace on Smithdown? Wondering how it compares.

We always get a little furnace at the Baltic market and love it but Rudy’s is a very different animal. It’s the more sloppy Neapolitan pizza that’s best eaten with a knife and fork rather than the crispy and sliced one from little furnace. Both are very good - I’d say Rudy’s is overall better value though

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3402 on: August 12, 2019, 02:23:00 pm »
Tried Belzan on Smithdown for the first time last weekend.

Another “small plates” type place, situated right opposite the old Kelly’s Wine Bar for those of you who know that part of town.

Food was boss, with the cheese and mushroom croquettes, the lobster pasta, and the hake being particular standouts.

Atmosphere wise it was great-it’s a small place with maybe 30 covers or so, including the  four or five seats at the bar, and there was a nice buzz about the place.

Service was great, and we really enjoyed the whole evening. Cost was around £100 for two, but we were celebrating and so we ate and drank loads!

Highly recommended.

Offline Momos_righteye

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3403 on: August 13, 2019, 10:59:03 am »

Another “small plates” type place, situated right opposite the old Kelly’s Wine Bar for those of you who know that part of town.

Food was boss, with the cheese and mushroom croquettes, the lobster pasta, and the hake being particular standouts.

Atmosphere wise it was great-it’s a small place with maybe 30 covers or so, including the  four or five seats at the bar, and there was a nice buzz about the place.

Service was great, and we really enjoyed the whole evening. Cost was around £100 for two, but we were celebrating and so we ate and drank loads!

Highly recommended.

I've been meaning to try this for ages, cheers for reminding me!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 04:23:36 pm by Momos_righteye »

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3404 on: August 13, 2019, 03:22:29 pm »

Highly recommended.
Had a bit of breakfast there earlier in the year, they cure their own bacon which was lovely. I want to go in the evening, it looks good.

Offline Only Me

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3405 on: August 14, 2019, 10:00:22 pm »
I first went at lunch time with a mate, but people were still ordering breakfast items and they looked great.

I was wondering where to eat with the Mrs the following night, and I enjoyed the lunch so much I asked them while I was there
 if they had any availability for us.

Ended up going twice in 36 hrs, having been meaning to go there for months!

Lunch menu was equally as good as dinner-it really is a very nice place.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 11:13:12 pm by Only Me »

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3406 on: August 15, 2019, 11:40:22 am »
Went in yesterday just for a drink, but really do need to go for a proper meal. Both times I've been in they've had a staff meal on their blackboard which has been a risotto for about £7 and a fish dish for around a tenner. Both times there's been fresh stuff delivered to the open kitchen, just need to plan a visit when I've got a bit of time and am not driving.

Offline L8Craig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3407 on: August 17, 2019, 05:03:30 pm »
Still don't know where to go on Wednesday with my family for my 30th.

Been to Bar and Grill a few times and like the varied foods they have to offer. Same with Marantos.
I have whatever, wife has chicken/ lamb/ ribs/ burgers, brothers have steaks.

Any similar places in town or out of town? Bistro by the park looks similar with good reviews.

Offline Only Me

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3408 on: August 18, 2019, 11:22:06 pm »
Still don't know where to go on Wednesday with my family for my 30th.

Been to Bar and Grill a few times and like the varied foods they have to offer. Same with Marantos.
I have whatever, wife has chicken/ lamb/ ribs/ burgers, brothers have steaks.

Any similar places in town or out of town? Bistro by the park looks similar with good reviews.

Always had good meals and service at Churasco on Eggy Road. They also have a separate annexe type dining room which you can book privately if there's enough of you.

Offline L8Craig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3409 on: August 21, 2019, 10:43:18 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion Only Me.
Ended up in the Bar and Grill  ;D
Chateaubriand was nice.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #3410 on: August 22, 2019, 10:13:17 am »
Went to Honest Burgers on Bold Street last week. Nothing earth shattering and a bit pricier for what you get. Not in the same class as Free State Kitchen and Almost Famous. Would probably put it above Byrons and 5 guys

Offline sharkeyb

• Would pay to see a Mason's willy, but not more than £35.
  • Legacy Fan
  • He's on the floor
« Reply #3411 on: August 23, 2019, 12:09:53 pm »
anybody been to 109 Allerton road?

been for lunch and took the parents last Saturday for dinner, the food is really really good. my dad even had two desserts which made me laugh, hope it didn't weigh him down on his 10k run the next day.

nice atmosphere when they have the patio doors open, my mrs (not from Liverpool) said it's the best food shes had here, which is a real compliment!
Sir, the cash monies?

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3412 on: August 23, 2019, 09:09:46 pm »
anybody been to 109 Allerton road?

been for lunch and took the parents last Saturday for dinner, the food is really really good. my dad even had two desserts which made me laugh, hope it didn't weigh him down on his 10k run the next day.

nice atmosphere when they have the patio doors open, my mrs (not from Liverpool) said it's the best food shes had here, which is a real compliment!

Just mentioned that today actually. Next on the list.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #3413 on: August 23, 2019, 10:49:59 pm »
I really like a place called Indigo Greens on Queens Drive. But they've now opened one in town at Duke Street market which is far easier for me. Their food is always quite innovative, healthy and well thought out. It's all free from animal products, but still well worth a try for something different. Everything seems to be made from scratch which is brilliant too and it tastes great.

Also went to Green Fork at 52 Rose Lane a recently (they take over after 6pm) and enjoyed the food, especially the watermelon salad. You can tell they're just starting out though.

Mowgli on Bold Street has been very consistent over the years, still love a tiffin there.

One thing that irks me a little nowadays, is the quality of food in the city seems to have risen a lot, however the service seems to be going downhill in a few places. I don't expect fine dining, but I don't want my meal thrown at me. Not difficult to smile and be polite. I get places are dong the whole small plates it'll come when it's ready malarky, but it's a bit rubbish when they just shove it at you.

Indigo Greens are people I know.  Mark whos a good Red and Patty . Lovely people .
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3414 on: August 23, 2019, 10:55:06 pm »
I've been meaning to try this for ages, cheers for reminding me!

Was cycling past there a few Sundays ago and my mate was outside having a bifter. I decided to go in and bought a half of craft ale.

£3.50.

My response was where do you think Iam the Champs - Elysees ?

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #3415 on: August 24, 2019, 11:32:19 am »
Was cycling past there a few Sundays ago and my mate was outside having a bifter. I decided to go in and bought a half of craft ale.

£3.50.

My response was where do you think Iam the Champs - Elysees ?

Sure it wasn't a schooner?  :D

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3416 on: August 24, 2019, 01:55:40 pm »
Sure it wasn't a schooner?  :D

I nearly schwooned when he said £3.50.

Was surprised at the price but paid for it anyway.

£3.50 for a half on Smithdown ?

Iam all for regeneration but for fucksake keep it real.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #3417 on: August 24, 2019, 09:54:02 pm »
Went to Honest Burgers on Bold Street last week. Nothing earth shattering and a bit pricier for what you get. Not in the same class as Free State Kitchen and Almost Famous. Would probably put it above Byrons and 5 guys

Walked past there early yesterday evening and it was heaving. Bollocks if you ask me, there’s so many cracking places to eat on Bold Street and an overpriced burger chain isn’t one of them.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3418 on: August 25, 2019, 12:22:39 pm »
Walked past there early yesterday evening and it was heaving. Bollocks if you ask me, there’s so many cracking places to eat on Bold Street and an overpriced burger chain isn’t one of them.

Think the only thing worse than an overpriced burger chain is an overpriced burger chain that pretends to be independent.

Totally agree about Bold Street. So many great places. If I was on death row and asked what my final meal would be, I would want 100 slices of Mowglis Himalayan Cheese on Toast

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3419 on: August 25, 2019, 01:17:15 pm »
Sanskruti again last night, place is just consistently good. Easily the best curry in Liverpool for me.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #3420 on: August 25, 2019, 02:14:47 pm »
We’ve started eating at a new restaurant every Tuesday evening during the summer holidays.  So far:

Caribou poutine - a bit of a cheat as this wasn’t new but is always good. A Miss Piggy and a steak poutine as good as always

Rudy’s pizza - very good pizza and good value

Almost famous - can’t believe we’ve never been here before but was very good - a massive sloppy burger what more can you want

Amalia - decent enough pizza - best part of the place is the nice family atmosphere and the way it’s tucked away in its own little square off duke street

Lucha libre - was ok. Nothing more. Nothing less. I’m not a huge Mexican fan so just had a couple of quesadillas which were no better than what you get in Taco Bell to be honest

Need to think of somewhere new (town area) for this Tuesday now

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3421 on: August 26, 2019, 12:38:36 am »
We’ve started eating at a new restaurant every Tuesday evening during the summer holidays.  So far:

Caribou poutine - a bit of a cheat as this wasn’t new but is always good. A Miss Piggy and a steak poutine as good as always

Rudy’s pizza - very good pizza and good value

Almost famous - can’t believe we’ve never been here before but was very good - a massive sloppy burger what more can you want

Amalia - decent enough pizza - best part of the place is the nice family atmosphere and the way it’s tucked away in its own little square off duke street

Lucha libre - was ok. Nothing more. Nothing less. I’m not a huge Mexican fan so just had a couple of quesadillas which were no better than what you get in Taco Bell to be honest

Need to think of somewhere new (town area) for this Tuesday now

The Caribou Poutine story is boss. If you haven't read their story yet it's on the wall on your left as you walk towards the counter.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #3422 on: August 26, 2019, 08:24:16 pm »
Yeah it’s on their menus too. Lovely story and the food is superb

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3423 on: August 26, 2019, 09:49:55 pm »
My hangover meal of choice. Perfect early afternoon the next day.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #3424 on: August 27, 2019, 08:58:33 pm »
Went with Patterson’s tonight
Two burgers for a tenner and a £4 credit if you sign up to the app meant it cost under £18 for a couple of messy chicken burgers, fries, gravy and a kids meal. Oh and a coke

Nice chicken too. We’ve always been loyal to yard and coop even having had decent Patterson’s at the Baltic but deffo will be back here every now and then

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #3425 on: September 3, 2019, 07:06:28 pm »
The Italian Club for our last Tuesday of the summer holidays

Lovely setting, great pizza and pasta and friendly italian service. Recommended

Offline L8Craig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3426 on: September 3, 2019, 09:13:27 pm »
Tried Yard and Coop a couple of days ago as there’s a £30 groupon voucher for £15.

Food was nice. Had chicken breast and chips with gravy. Wife had the chicken burger.

Not sure if I’d spend the full amount without a groupon deal though to be honest. £15 for a piece of chicken and chips with gravy would be a bit steep for what it was.

Also had a dulce de leche croissant from Rough Hand Made on the Dock which I had high expectations for considering it was 2.95
Would have liked more caramel inside but there wasn’t much.
Velvet hot choc late was spot on though and I’d defo pop in again for one.
They put chocolate spirals in the cup then hot milk on top and it melts.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3427 on: September 8, 2019, 07:01:47 pm »
Birthday meal at Free State Kitchen last night. Always confirms to me that it is my favourite place to eat out in town. They just do the simple things so well

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #3428 on: September 8, 2019, 07:52:49 pm »
Sanskruti again last night, place is just consistently good. Easily the best curry in Liverpool for me.

Taking two friends to Anfield this weekend who don't go very often. Looking for a good curry for Saturday evening.

Where would people recommend? Good food, relaxed, before we go into town for a few beers.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #3429 on: September 8, 2019, 09:04:20 pm »
Taking two friends to Anfield this weekend who don't go very often. Looking for a good curry for Saturday evening.

Where would people recommend? Good food, relaxed, before we go into town for a few beers.

You want somewhere out of town? Depends where you're staying.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3430 on: September 8, 2019, 09:10:41 pm »

I’ve never had a bad meal there. It’s the best curry I’ve had in Liverpool (it’s not right in the centre but only 5-10 min walk to Liverpool One).

There’s no meat but you really don’t miss it one little bit.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3431 on: September 8, 2019, 09:20:00 pm »
If you can book in then Mowgli on Castle street (might struggle at this short notice)

EastZEast opposite the echo arena is nice (though expensive)

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3432 on: September 8, 2019, 10:54:33 pm »
You want somewhere out of town? Depends where you're staying.

Somewhere in town, as we'll be having a few shandies after as well.

Last time I was there, I went to Yukti, which was decent.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3433 on: September 8, 2019, 10:54:57 pm »
I’ve never had a bad meal there. It’s the best curry I’ve had in Liverpool (it’s not right in the centre but only 5-10 min walk to Liverpool One).

There’s no meat but you really don’t miss it one little bit.

I'll put it to the others.
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3434 on: September 8, 2019, 11:00:24 pm »
If you can book in then Mowgli on Castle street (might struggle at this short notice)

EastZEast opposite the echo arena is nice (though expensive)

Think we tried to book that last time, and couldn't. Just looked and it's fully booked until half nine, and we'll pass out by then :D
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

Offline Scouser-Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Allez, Allez, Allez...
« Reply #3435 on: September 9, 2019, 11:10:24 am »
Think we tried to book that last time, and couldn't. Just looked and it's fully booked until half nine, and we'll pass out by then :D

The Mowgli on Water Street is walk-in only so you might be better going there, highly recommend the place like.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3436 on: September 9, 2019, 11:13:21 am »
The Mowgli on Water Street is walk-in only so you might be better going there, highly recommend the place like.

You can def book the one on Water St.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3437 on: September 9, 2019, 11:26:16 am »
Think he meant Bold street. The Bold Street one is walk in only. Water street can be booked

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #3438 on: September 9, 2019, 04:34:46 pm »
Sanskruti is only 5 minutes from the Water Street Mowgli as well.

You could also try Bundobust on Bold St which is supposed to be really good and more casual/relaxed, although I think it's walk-ins only.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3439 on: September 9, 2019, 04:47:13 pm »
Just seen La Parilla on bold street is rated number 1 on trip advisor for Restaurants in Liverpool. My arse it is, firstly the south road one is better (ok not technically liverpool but still). Went there a couple or months back when they had all these food stalls out on bold st, including one outside la parilla where they were serving drinks and shit. I always tip unless the service is atrocious and it was, food was slow to come out, plain tasting and general attentiveness was wank.