Author Topic: Virgil Van Dijk (Cpt)  (Read 1459788 times)

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Virgil Van Dijk - IS BACK AND BETTER THAN EVER!!!
« Reply #9720 on: September 12, 2021, 10:08:55 pm »
The way we can control games when he plays is just incredible. I have never in my lifetime seen a player who has such a huge impact on his teammates. How they play, manage a game, confidence. It's exceptional. His organisational skills are the best on the planet.

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9721 on: September 12, 2021, 10:12:11 pm »
out 9 months .

Not played 90 mins in pre season.

1 goal conceded in 4 games while he plays in cruise control. He is a freak. Greatest CB I have ever seen

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9722 on: September 12, 2021, 10:14:18 pm »
I can’t believe it took him so long to play at the highest level. He is just absurdly good. We’ll hardly concede any goals at all with him, Matip and Allison on the pitch. Literally just need to score enough and we’ll win this thing. As long as they stay fit of course.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #9723 on: September 12, 2021, 10:19:39 pm »
I'm just waiting for him to score from a corner and the world to finally snap back into place.

I hope he scores one against Atletico. That would be a nice way to announce his arrival to his 100% abilities post recovery.

Offline kj999

• 180 + 90 = ...............er..............hang on................ oh yeah 180........ :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Maths Mug!
« Reply #9724 on: September 13, 2021, 01:28:24 am »
I hope he scores one against Atletico. That would be a nice way to announce his arrival to his 100% abilities post recovery.

I hope he can bag a couple before we play Atletico personally, can't be arsed to wait til mid October...
Clarity of Thought before Rashness of Action...

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9725 on: September 13, 2021, 02:57:57 am »
Doing well… but nowhere near his best yet…

That he doesn’t need to be is telling of his influence
I thought he took a step up against Leeds though. He's getting closer.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9726 on: September 15, 2021, 10:34:21 pm »

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #9727 on: September 15, 2021, 10:37:37 pm »
Got a nice rest, watched a great advert for football for free.  Perfect night for him.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #9728 on: September 15, 2021, 10:42:00 pm »
His disgust at the goal... He feels it even if he's not playing.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9729 on: September 15, 2021, 10:43:22 pm »
Samie gone see if you can get a photo of the big man with Baresi. Thanks

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9730 on: September 15, 2021, 10:54:17 pm »
Nothing on the Getty images page mate. Maldini was on the pitch as an official rep of Milan tonight, that's why he was on the pitch.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9731 on: September 15, 2021, 10:57:17 pm »
Nothing on the Getty images page mate. Maldini was on the pitch as an official rep of Milan tonight, that's why he was on the pitch.

I know, just pulling your leg mate. I can't make my mind up who is my favourite ever defender between Baresi and Van Dijk, Seriously though, that's a great photo. I recall Van Dijk saying the same thing Maldini has always said about defending. That they be upset with themselves if they have to slide tackle because the first mistake has been made by that stage.

Offline Slippers

• atennerandwesaynomoreyeah?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9732 on: September 15, 2021, 11:04:18 pm »
The look on his face when we conceded.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9733 on: September 18, 2021, 05:00:20 pm »
Every time the big man did anything the commentator on Supersport simply said "calm as you like"  ;D
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9734 on: September 18, 2021, 05:02:17 pm »
Wasn't his best game, but he's coming back to his old standards. Konate complements him well.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9735 on: September 19, 2021, 10:17:59 am »
That was his 100th PL appearance for us.

Drag out the photo with the jersey.

tyututy" border="0
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9736 on: September 20, 2021, 08:15:55 am »
Wasn't his best game, but he's coming back to his old standards. Konate complements him well.
I'm delighted that he's just back in the rhythm of playing, training, playing, training.  Whilst that continues the rest will take care of itself.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #9737 on: September 25, 2021, 07:42:32 pm »
Recovery post an injury like that isn’t linear and today he was a million miles off his level - about as bad as he’s played for us since he arrived …. Hopefully just a physical dip after coming back

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #9738 on: September 25, 2021, 08:40:49 pm »
Recovery post an injury like that isn’t linear and today he was a million miles off his level - about as bad as he’s played for us since he arrived …. Hopefully just a physical dip after coming back
It could also be the fact that we keep changing CB pairings. But I agree: he's way off his level and him and Matip didn't do the team or the fullbacks any favours today. Hopefully they all improve going forward.

Competition is also good for everybody, so I hope Klopp isn't squeamish about dropping anybody. Konate looks good. Give him a go every now and then when Virgil or Matip are struggling with match fitness.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #9739 on: September 25, 2021, 08:45:26 pm »
Konate looks good. Give him a go every now and then when Virgil or Matip are struggling with match fitness.

You seem to be forgetting about Gomez, who is arguably the second best CB at the club.

Offline Illmatic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9740 on: September 25, 2021, 08:52:22 pm »
It could also be the fact that we keep changing CB pairings. But I agree: he's way off his level and him and Matip didn't do the team or the fullbacks any favours today. Hopefully they all improve going forward.

The only game we changed really was against AC he was never going to play in League Cup. Don't think there we will much rotation in the league unless injury or really poor form. Klopp may look to rotate more in the CL given we have quality back up and the recent long term injuries suffered by VVD and Matip.   
Nas is like the Afrocentric Asian, half-man, half-amazin

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #9741 on: September 25, 2021, 08:53:35 pm »
You seem to be forgetting about Gomez, who is arguably the second best CB at the club.

Yes and Joe has looked pretty good in both his recent games, would like to see him get a league start soon.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9742 on: September 25, 2021, 08:54:18 pm »
We should maybe think about cashing in on him before his value plummets  :P
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #9743 on: September 25, 2021, 08:58:50 pm »
Don't need to be match fit to jump off the ground and head a simple ball.
:D

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9744 on: September 25, 2021, 09:02:23 pm »
Don't need to be match fit to jump off the ground and head a simple ball.
Yeah, that for their second goal was a strange challenge per his standards. He also didn't take great positions against Toney, normally he's breathing up the forwards neck as soon as the long ball is kicked to them. But the latter may be match fitness.   

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9745 on: September 25, 2021, 09:03:56 pm »
He did run Toney down and the end of the game and get between him and the goal. So all the attributes look to be there.

I think this game was just tough 100mph all game. He's still getting to full fitness.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9746 on: September 25, 2021, 09:05:43 pm »
He did run Toney down and the end of the game and get between him and the goal. So all the attributes look to be there.

I think this game was just tough 100mph all game. He's still getting to full fitness.
Yeah, I feel the same. He'd need some games to get to his best.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9747 on: September 25, 2021, 09:05:58 pm »
Yeah, that for their second goal was a strange challenge per his standards. He also didn't take great positions against Toney, normally he's breathing up the forwards neck as soon as the long ball is kicked to them. But the latter may be match fitness.
He's human afterall and can have a bad game. I think he's been very good considering how long he's been out for.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #9748 on: September 25, 2021, 09:08:05 pm »

I think that is an excellent point, he will get there. He can only do it by playing games though.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline johnj147

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9749 on: September 25, 2021, 09:37:36 pm »

yeah done well there .. but i thought he was poor in air and in our box ,,

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9750 on: September 25, 2021, 09:48:07 pm »
Their second I could not believe him. So poor. There were issues everywhere defensively so he doesn’t get all the blame at all but not like him to make such a pathetic attempt to win the ball when it could not have been crucial.

Offline lgvkarlos

• Finnished with his shit punnery now.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9751 on: September 26, 2021, 12:42:49 am »
He's human afterall and can have a bad game. I think he's been very good considering how long he's been out for.
Thought he was poor but Klopp did hang the defence out to dry with the very odd substitution.

Offline Dr Stu-Pid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #9752 on: September 26, 2021, 01:40:27 am »
Their second I could not believe him. So poor. There were issues everywhere defensively so he doesn’t get all the blame at all but not like him to make such a pathetic attempt to win the ball when it could not have been crucial.

He tries to react and get his head on the ball as it comes back off the bar and just misses it which then means that he is off balance and can’t react and get off the ground when it bounces off the head of the Brentford player.  The defending all round was pretty poor, but I don’t think it was due to any lack of effort as you are making out.

Offline ep1987

• Emiliano Insua head coach
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #9753 on: September 26, 2021, 04:22:31 pm »
He tries to react and get his head on the ball as it comes back off the bar and just misses it which then means that he is off balance and can’t react and get off the ground when it bounces off the head of the Brentford player.  The defending all round was pretty poor, but I don’t think it was due to any lack of effort as you are making out.

After the initial cross there was a clear lack of 'urgency' from Van Dijk to recover into a better position. He was very good when players were running at him 1v1 but fairly often this season he's held his position or meandered slowly toward developing danger when he needed to react sooner.

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9754 on: September 29, 2021, 02:36:48 pm »
Feel the thread title is not accurate at present, it’s great having the best defender in the world back but he’s not looked as assured as previous, understandable given what he’s coming back from. Overreacting here but I’d love to see Matip and Konate start on Sunday.
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9755 on: September 29, 2021, 02:38:39 pm »
Feel the thread title is not accurate at present, it’s great having the best defender in the world back but he’s not looked as assured as previous, understandable given what he’s coming back from. Overreacting here but I’d love to see Matip and Konate start on Sunday.

Matip just had a nightmare of a game against Brentford, far worse than Van Dijk.  You're right, you're massively overreacting. Van Dijk is still our best defender, even if he isn't at his very best.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #9756 on: September 29, 2021, 02:51:14 pm »
The day thread titles on a fan site are required to be in alignment with the more negative ongoing assessments of a player is the day fandom finally eats itself.

Next you'll be telling me that we need to change player songs because Mo isn't technically a constitutionally accepted monarch of an African nation and statistics show that giving the ball to Bobby does not result in a net increase in goals scored on each and every single occasion
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Re: Virgil Van Dijk - IS BACK AND NOT QUITE AT THE STANDARD HE WAS PREVIOUSLY
« Reply #9757 on: September 29, 2021, 02:54:34 pm »
I tend to agree actually, change the thread title
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline LiverBirdKop

• A moron. Twice. No flies on their nullshit
  • Legacy Fan
  • 51,077 Deleted
« Reply #9758 on: September 29, 2021, 04:06:11 pm »
He's still at around 70% for me. Just a matter of playing time. He'll be ok.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #9759 on: September 29, 2021, 04:17:21 pm »
It's almost like it could perhaps take some time for him to come back from a horrendous knee injury and show the levels he did before.

I had a similar injury to VVD, I couldn't even play for 18 months and basically had to teach myself to run again when I did come back. I went from semi-pro player to bang average- kick around level with one injury. Probably not equitable comparison, but give him some time, he's done well enough so far.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez