Author Topic: Atheism  (Read 184369 times)

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Atheism
« Reply #2920 on: April 16, 2024, 11:10:33 pm »
It was a thoughtful judgement and I was impressed that the judge listened to the school’s case and situation carefully

Absolutely. When I initially heard of the court case, only a short while ago, I assumed the courts would side with the pupil.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2921 on: April 17, 2024, 10:26:21 am »
Muslims are at a disadvantage in that the way they prey is quite theatrical, a Christian could do it without anyone noticing

Im not sure how introducing the prayer ban will stop the peer pressure to be a more observant Muslim.
Some people (not on here) are claiming that the child knew the rules before enrolling, this seems not be the case

The head teacher in that school is a twat and I wouldn't trust her to remain impartial.

As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #2922 on: April 17, 2024, 01:10:23 pm »
Muslims are at a disadvantage in that the way they prey is quite theatrical, a Christian could do it without anyone noticing

Im not sure how introducing the prayer ban will stop the peer pressure to be a more observant Muslim.
Some people (not on here) are claiming that the child knew the rules before enrolling, this seems not be the case

The head teacher in that school is a twat and I wouldn't trust her to remain impartial.

the high court says it was the case that they knew didn’t it?

Ive met the head teacher. She’s brilliant at what she does, absolutely brilliant, but she does do some things that are divisive.
I thought they would lose actually, but when I read the judgment it all sounds quite sensible.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2923 on: April 17, 2024, 01:22:50 pm »
the high court says it was the case that they knew didn’t it?

Ive met the head teacher. She’s brilliant at what she does, absolutely brilliant, but she does do some things that are divisive.
I thought they would lose actually, but when I read the judgment it all sounds quite sensible.

According to what Ive read on the BBC, The ban on prayer came in response to muslims, including the child praying in the school.

In March 2023, up to 30 students began praying in the school's yard, using blazers to kneel on, the High Court heard.

Pupils are not allowed to gather in groups of more than four, including in the school yard.

The school introduced the ban in the same month due to concerns about a "culture shift" towards "segregation between religious groups and intimidation within the group of Muslim pupils", the court was told.

I took that to mean the ban was in response to the praying

She might well be good at what she does but that doesn't necessarily prove her a good person
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #2924 on: April 17, 2024, 01:33:13 pm »

Freudian slip?

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2925 on: April 17, 2024, 01:35:42 pm »
Freudian slip?

no just a spelling mistake

or is it a Malapropism
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 01:42:49 pm by Kenny's Jacket »

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2926 on: April 17, 2024, 01:49:46 pm »
According to what Ive read on the BBC, The ban on prayer came in response to muslims, including the child praying in the school.

In March 2023, up to 30 students began praying in the school's yard, using blazers to kneel on, the High Court heard.

Pupils are not allowed to gather in groups of more than four, including in the school yard.

The school introduced the ban in the same month due to concerns about a "culture shift" towards "segregation between religious groups and intimidation within the group of Muslim pupils", the court was told.

I took that to mean the ban was in response to the praying

She might well be good at what she does but that doesn't necessarily prove her a good person

It’s also worth reading her response. She is a good person, what person would work as hard as she does for so long to get such good outcomes for her students without being so? It doesn’t mean I agree with everything she says though. People aren’t black or white, they aren’t good or bad, life is much more complex than that.

As far as I know, the number of Muslim students applying to the school increased notably. They seem to have feared that with such high numbers of students potentially wanting to pray publicly at lunch time, it may have become uncomfortable for those students who either did not want to or were not Muslim.

It’s quite an interesting issue. We allow our Muslim students to use a prayer room, but we are a faith school so it would be utter hypocrisy not to. However there is no pressure for students to do so, nor would this ever be tolerated. We do have an issue where Muslim students are choosing non halal options in the canteen though. This has caused push back from some parents where they want us to intervene. We won’t do that as it’s not our place to do so.

It is regrettable (of course) that she has received death threats. But perhaps  not surprising
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2927 on: April 17, 2024, 02:03:25 pm »
It’s also worth reading her response. She is a good person, what person would work as hard as she does for so long to get such good outcomes for her students without being so? It doesn’t mean I agree with everything she says though. People aren’t black or white, they aren’t good or bad, life is much more complex than that.
I totally agree with this. And black and white thinking is the problem with much of our discourse these says.
As far as I know, the number of Muslim students applying to the school increased notably. They seem to have feared that with such high numbers of students potentially wanting to pray publicly at lunch time, it may have become uncomfortable for those students who either did not want to or were not Muslim.

It’s quite an interesting issue. We allow our Muslim students to use a prayer room, but we are a faith school so it would be utter hypocrisy not to. However there is no pressure for students to do so, nor would this ever be tolerated. We do have an issue where Muslim students are choosing non halal options in the canteen though. This has caused push back from some parents where they want us to intervene. We won’t do that as it’s not our place to do so.

It is regrettable (of course) that she has received death threats. But perhaps  not surprising
An argument for keeping faith out of all schools, I think.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2928 on: April 17, 2024, 02:05:02 pm »
I totally agree with this. And black and white thinking is the problem with much of our discourse these says.An argument for keeping faith out of all schools, I think.
It’s certainly not our place to force them to follow the doctrines of any religion.
W

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #2929 on: April 17, 2024, 02:10:59 pm »

Ah, the religion of peace.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2930 on: April 17, 2024, 02:29:39 pm »

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2931 on: April 17, 2024, 02:29:42 pm »

If a child's parents are not up to date with their account, then they are given restricted food and made to eat in isolation
We are never going to agree on her.
Yes its unfortunate that she received death threats, being a national conservative shouldn't be an automatic death penalty 

Agree with you on the halal food. Fuck that.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #2932 on: April 17, 2024, 02:42:49 pm »
An excellent judgement. Good for Muslims, good for kids, good for secularism, good for multiculturalism, good for the UK.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2933 on: April 17, 2024, 02:57:20 pm »
If a child's parents are not up to date with their account, then they are given restricted food and made to eat in isolation
We are never going to agree on her.
Yes its unfortunate that she received death threats, being a national conservative shouldn't be an automatic death penalty 

Agree with you on the halal food. Fuck that.
If accurate, that's appalling behaviour. And in my book, would make her fundamentally unsuitable for her role. (I do not think this is an example of black and white thinking (from me), though I accept that it could be portrayed this way.)
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2934 on: April 17, 2024, 03:07:04 pm »
If accurate, that's appalling behaviour. And in my book, would make her fundamentally unsuitable for her role. (I do not think this is an example of black and white thinking (from me), though I accept that it could be portrayed this way.)

Unfortunately its true

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/jul/29/headteacher-defends-policy-of-putting-pupils-in-lunch-isolation#:~:text=Birbalsingh%20said%20criticism%20of%20the,are%20letting%20their%20children%20down.

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2935 on: April 17, 2024, 03:08:36 pm »
All schools and Education should be secular.
if you wish to indoctrinate your kids into death cults created 2 thousand years ago then do it in your own time and with your own money.
My kid was forced to take RE and could only choose 1 arts subject as an option.
Absolute nonsense.
Makes me sick.
Music, art etc are all far more valuable than sky fairies.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2936 on: April 17, 2024, 03:14:18 pm »
All schools and Education should be secular.
if you wish to indoctrinate your kids into death cults created 2 thousand years ago then do it in your own time and with your own money.
My kid was forced to take RE and could only choose 1 arts subject as an option.
Absolute nonsense.

Makes me sick.
Music, art etc are all far more valuable than sky fairies.

Was it a faith school
I dropped RE in the 3rd year

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2937 on: April 17, 2024, 03:20:25 pm »
Was it a faith school
I dropped RE in the 3rd year

Nah its a comp. He can drop it n the 3rd year but he is forced into it this year and can only take one arts option.
He loves music and art so we are all well pissed off.
No chance of a faith school with me as his old fella, I'd be struck by lightning on parents evening
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 03:23:09 pm by lobsterboy »

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2938 on: April 18, 2024, 11:54:57 am »
In northern Ireland there are few options for those who want secular education. Schools must provide RE as a subject.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2939 on: April 18, 2024, 11:57:56 am »
In northern Ireland there are few options for those who want secular education. Schools must provide RE as a subject.

until when?

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2940 on: April 18, 2024, 03:38:21 pm »
until when?

They have to provide it up to gcse. Parents can remove their kids from those lessons, though.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #2941 on: April 18, 2024, 03:42:47 pm »

Me and the Muslim kid got to sit out RE classes and go to the library instead, this was a catholic school in 80s Ireland.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2942 on: April 18, 2024, 03:48:43 pm »
I found it so sad to see 3 Muslim 4 year olds sitting out the Christmas nativity at my niece’s integrated school. They looked so upset. Don’t understand why the school couldn’t do something more inclusive. I naively thought integrated schools here would be secular.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #2943 on: April 18, 2024, 03:51:46 pm »
I found it so sad to see 3 Muslim 4 year olds sitting out the Christmas nativity at my niece’s integrated school. They looked so upset. Don’t understand why the school couldn’t do something more inclusive.

Maybe it wasn't the school who made them sit it out.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2944 on: April 18, 2024, 04:31:01 pm »
Maybe it wasn't the school who made them sit it out.

I didn’t think it was. And it’s totally fair. I’d not want a child of mine doing a nativity play either. I just think Xmas is so secular anyway these days, that they could do something less overtly religious.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #2945 on: April 18, 2024, 04:54:09 pm »
I didn’t think it was. And it’s totally fair. I’d not want a child of mine doing a nativity play either. I just think Xmas is so secular anyway these days, that they could do something less overtly religious.

I am a parent and a stone cold atheist and I never gave a shit about any of that. I was quite happy for my kid to go to a religious school because it was a good school. Most primary schools in Ireland are catholic. He got his first communion and all that jazz, and we just went along with it. I don't recall ever talking about religion much to him but I certainly never lied and he's now in college and also a stone cold atheist.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #2946 on: April 18, 2024, 05:26:18 pm »
a stone cold atheist.

I assure you, 'Steve Austin' does exist:

"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline lobsterboy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2947 on: April 18, 2024, 08:07:04 pm »
They made my kid be one of the sheep in infant school. We dressed him as Shaun the sheep to take the piss.

Online Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2948 on: April 18, 2024, 08:16:27 pm »
They made my kid be one of the sheep in infant school. We dressed him as Shaun the sheep to take the piss.

In blackface?

Offline lobsterboy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2949 on: April 18, 2024, 09:58:22 pm »
In blackface?

WTF?
It was an official Shaun the Sheep costume.

Online Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2950 on: April 18, 2024, 10:15:11 pm »
WTF?
It was an official Shaun the Sheep costume.

was just kidding, should've added a smiley