Author Topic: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool Manager (ours to keep - or at least till 2018)  (Read 958624 times)

Offline Reds Flag

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool Manager
« Reply #4160 on: April 18, 2014, 05:46:49 pm »
He'll be bestowed an even better honour mate, he'll see his face on a banner on the Kop along side Kenny and the other great men that have led us and he'll be worshipped.
That's as sufficient reward as he could ask for :)

Yep, only our most legendary managers make it onto banners ;)

(Image copyright R.Murdoch)

Offline samlfc

• Main Stander
  • just rawkin'
« Reply #4161 on: April 18, 2014, 06:01:50 pm »
Not a big fan of the line...I like it when he talks us up and talks himself up. Not a fan of the sly, funny yes funny but sly dig at a rival. Especially when that rivals coach and main players have been extremely complimentary to us ever since that game at the Etihad a few months back.

But its not worth their fans getting pissy.

Didn't really see us as a serious threat then.
I'd say their compliments for us were loaded with a dig at another club or clubs.

Offline astowell1

• Legacy Fan
  • Klopp!
« Reply #4162 on: April 18, 2014, 06:18:08 pm »
Not a big fan of the line...I like it when he talks us up and talks himself up. Not a fan of the sly, funny yes funny but sly dig at a rival. Especially when that rivals coach and main players have been extremely complimentary to us ever since that game at the Etihad a few months back.

But its not worth their fans getting pissy.

He's merely stating the truth and the obvious as it happens.  He's said plenty to compliment City and Pellegrini this season.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #4163 on: April 18, 2014, 06:22:50 pm »
That documentary was like playing pass the parcel with a live grenade.

with the Monty Python cast doing it.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Spraynard Kruger

• Wholeheartedly supports the cause but would stay seated in a walk-out protest cos, you know, it's so expensive to get to the game, so doesn't wholeheartedly support after all and misses the point completely. All in one sentence. Wow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4164 on: April 18, 2014, 06:25:21 pm »
sorry but i hate things like this

Someone named Mamadou said the same thing just over 50 years ago, before Shankly won his first league title with Liverpool. :o
"Sometimes you have to just chill out, look at the Everton fans and let them realise what time it is." - Daniel Sturridge

Offline Notfromaroundhere

• Kopite
« Reply #4165 on: April 18, 2014, 06:33:43 pm »
It was nothing. Too many folks got unnecessarily worked up over it. Some were simply looking for an excuse not to like the bloke (or actually like anyone who Fenway liked) and jumped on this as 'evidence'. I couldn't care less about it at the time. It didn't mean anything. It certainly didn't mean anything compared to the memory of how his outstanding Swansea team had monopolised the ball at Anfield.

And now it's all water under the bridge anyway. Except this. It turned out that all the talk was for real. In the absence of competitive fixtures during the first month he arrived all he could do was talk (and coach his players behind closed doors). And when the games began it turned out he could walk the walk too.

A brilliant manager.

Andy@Allerton, where are you now? What are you thinking? :D

Pretty much how I saw it at the time as well. The documentary was what it was; I didn't pay too much attention to it, and didn't really see the big deal with it.

I'm probably at the other end of the scale though as oppsed to those who used the documentary and his early interviews as fuel to dislike him. I was very pleased with the appointment and thought he was exactly what the club needed. A fresh start, year zero - which was partly why I didn't want Benitez back. I felt we had painted ourselves into a corner and needed a change. Proper change, not looking to the past again. I'll admit I was leaning towards Villas-Boas at the time because of what he did at Porto, and would have been very happy with any of Rodgers, Martinez and Villas-Boas.

Looking back though, I'm obviously delighted we got Brendan. In my view he has done just about everything right from the off: giving young players a chance, developing an entertaining style of football and saying the right things in interviews. The latter is less important of course, but it completes the picture. And, as you say: his words have actually come into fruition.

On top of it all he's taking us back into the Champions League a year sooner than I expected/hoped. Wouldn't swap him for anyone, and there are only a very select few out there I'd consider as anything resembling adequate replacements at the moment...which sort of goes against the logic of the open-minded thinking that game him the job, but hey; I'm nothing if not a hypocrite..  ;) 

If he leads us to the title I think I'll have to ask him how much he wants for that infamous painting...  ;D

Offline Mamadou

• & Ariam. Reads RAWK in strip clubs, but does not post.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4166 on: April 18, 2014, 06:36:34 pm »
Someone named Mamadou said the same thing just over 50 years ago, before Shankly won his first league title with Liverpool. :o

what is even more interesting, his name have 7 letters just like mine
" Throw me to the wolves and I will return leading the pack"

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #4167 on: April 18, 2014, 06:37:23 pm »

;D

I saw the Brendan Rodgers interview go out live and it never occurred to me that the comment on the Man City wage-slaves was disrespectful. He was actually making a point about his own team and why it's unfair to criticise them for losing the initiative for 20 minutes at the start of the second half. His argument was that it's inevitable when you come up against a quality team like Man City. The stuff about their wage bill was a little embellishment which, in any case, is both topical and true. People get offended at all sorts of trivial rubbish these days. 

"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Van Halen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #4168 on: April 18, 2014, 07:22:53 pm »
I am speculating a bit here, and expect a slap, but seems to me that Brendan is going to save (and make) the club a ton of money in the future with his ability to manage, train and nurture younger players and get them to perform at a high level.  There's evidence of this already.  And we have a good academy.  Possibly we may be able to stave-off not paying out the wazzoo for players of a caliber we can create in-house.  Not suggesting for a second that we won't go out into the market for fresh blood each window, we will and need to this summer, but we can mitigate that somewhat w/ Brendan.  Which, if so, is fantastic since we don't have the oil wells.

Also, with the tailored training regimes as I believe PoP and others have noted, along with the Dr Peters stuff, existing rosters should be more fit physically and mentally, and that will save on necessary replacements, panic buys, time to blood in new players, etc.

Just some thoughts.

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4169 on: April 18, 2014, 07:38:30 pm »
Yep, only our most legendary managers make it onto banners ;)

(Image copyright R.Murdoch)
so sky photoshopped hodgson onto our banner?
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline Jellies

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4170 on: April 18, 2014, 07:40:03 pm »
so sky photoshopped hodgson onto our banner?
And quite poorly at that.

Offline PaisleyPrint

• Believer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4171 on: April 18, 2014, 07:41:24 pm »
;D

I saw the Brendan Rodgers interview go out live and it never occurred to me that the comment on the Man City wage-slaves was disrespectful. He was actually making a point about his own team and why it's unfair to criticise them for losing the initiative for 20 minutes at the start of the second half. His argument was that it's inevitable when you come up against a quality team like Man City. The stuff about their wage bill was a little embellishment which, in any case, is both topical and true. People get offended at all sorts of trivial rubbish these days. 

Well put Yorky, bloody stupid to be offended by it.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #4172 on: April 18, 2014, 07:42:18 pm »
I've seen that on my computer stream at a game once. Its true. 
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4173 on: April 18, 2014, 07:43:56 pm »
I am speculating a bit here, and expect a slap, but seems to me that Brendan is going to save (and make) the club a ton of money in the future with his ability to manage, train and nurture younger players and get them to perform at a high level.  There's evidence of this already. 
Nobody can slap you down for that mate, its quite rational. And you are spot on, there is significant evidence. Look at every single player except perhaps Glen Johnson - he's improved their value - Henderson, Suarez, Skrtel, Sturridge, Flanagan, etc, etc.
Or he's at least mitigated a reduction due to age by levelling a value due to performances - Agger?

And due to a couple of disappointing transfer windows BR may even claim he's hardly got going :D

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4174 on: April 18, 2014, 07:45:27 pm »
I've seen that on my computer stream at a game once. Its true. 
:D I reckon you would actually sit on the Kop watching the game on your phone just to wind people up  :lmao

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4175 on: April 18, 2014, 08:06:12 pm »
i'm lost here. Was this recent or in the days of Hodgson?
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #4176 on: April 18, 2014, 08:15:57 pm »
People are talking about his media image less now because we're winning and ultimately if you're winning games of football it doesn't fucking matter what you say in the press as long as it's not disrespectful to your own club.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #4177 on: April 18, 2014, 08:18:01 pm »
i'm lost here. Was this recent or in the days of Hodgson?

Was our first televised game under Roy I think, fucking abysmal but what do you expect from Sky? Their explanation for it was a joke too.
:D

Offline payback

• is full of shit, shit and more shit, oh and chillies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4178 on: April 18, 2014, 09:02:01 pm »
 'extended' interview with brendan on talkshite in a minute  :wave

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4179 on: April 18, 2014, 09:06:25 pm »
He loves that radio show doesn't he :) Haters gonna hate :)
I must listen to that in the morning, if you're a gent you'll post a listen again link for the senile old twats like me Alan & Chopper.

Offline Mamadou

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4180 on: April 18, 2014, 09:10:56 pm »

its 'talksport' when Brendan is there

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4181 on: April 18, 2014, 09:13:47 pm »
;D

Agree with you for once Yorkie ;D
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #4182 on: April 18, 2014, 09:24:44 pm »
Agree with you for once Yorkie ;D

That's twice actually mate!
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
« Reply #4183 on: April 18, 2014, 09:27:11 pm »
Well put Yorky, bloody stupid to be offended by it.

Outraged Britain mate. People want to be offended these days. Personally couldn`t give a toss if people want to find offence in small details, as long as were winning under Brendan that`s all that matters.

Offline grizz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #4184 on: April 18, 2014, 09:27:18 pm »
Just watched the interview and anyone taking offence at anything in it really needs to get back to planet earth.
He could have sat there in silence for the whole interview and some would still find something to moan about.

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4185 on: April 18, 2014, 09:28:36 pm »
Geoff, didn`t you once agree with someone (twice) twenty four years ago?

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4186 on: April 18, 2014, 09:33:48 pm »
Geoff, didn`t you once agree with someone (twice) twenty four years ago?

It never happened you know that surely.

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4187 on: April 18, 2014, 09:38:02 pm »
It never happened you know that surely.

Think I need to go and sit in the shithouse thread. The leagues fucked.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #4188 on: April 18, 2014, 09:39:14 pm »
This image is doing rounds on twitter, that's some cosmic stuff. 

Offline ANFIELDGATES

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #4189 on: April 18, 2014, 09:47:42 pm »
 ;

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D...that made me fucking laugh...and in ireland on good friday with the pubs closed,theres not much to laugh about!!!

Offline payback

• is full of shit, shit and more shit, oh and chillies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4190 on: April 18, 2014, 10:03:10 pm »
He loves that radio show doesn't he :) Haters gonna hate :)
I must listen to that in the morning, if you're a gent you'll post a listen again link for the senile old twats like me Alan & Chopper.
;D this should be it http://talksport.com/radio/listen-again/1397844000 

Offline Mamadou

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4191 on: April 18, 2014, 10:06:41 pm »

Bill Shankly = 11 letters
Brendan Rodgers = 14 letters

11+14= 25

25  :o

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #4192 on: April 18, 2014, 10:16:51 pm »
That documentary was like playing pass the parcel with a live grenade.

Brenton Rodgers

Gone a bit quiet that hasn't it?
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4193 on: April 18, 2014, 10:50:56 pm »
Brenton Rodgers

Gone a bit quiet that hasn't it?

Rival fans use it now. Badge of honour. They're talking about him more and more and laying into his 'sound-bytes'. If rival fans are properly hating him then that means he's doing something right.

Shankly used to take sly digs at his rivals. It was part of the game. Brendan does the same and has been doing it all season. He's just a fuck load more subtle than Jose Mourinho.

Long may all this continue.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #4194 on: April 18, 2014, 10:59:46 pm »
City fans on Bluemoon think he's a vile piece of shit, they have a thread dedicated to him in the main City forum :lmao

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #4195 on: April 18, 2014, 11:06:15 pm »
City fans on Bluemoon think he's a vile piece of shit,

Funny, that's exactly what I think Sheikh Mansour is.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 11:38:07 pm by Sian »

Offline alice_poet

• Kemlynite
« Reply #4196 on: April 18, 2014, 11:13:25 pm »
Slightly off topic (maybe for the 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc thread), but I think there is a scent of the hunt in the air in the dressing room.  If we fans talk about it, you can guarantee they will be too, and have been for a few games...  The players, and Brendan all know they're in the hunt.  How they manage that is, for me Brendan's next real test and its about 11 games long (although as we well know, fail at the first few and we'll not get to the 11th with a shout at it)...  Imagine what the feeling will be if we're still in the hunt with 4 games to go?  I really think this team has the collective desire and ruthlessness to do it!

I don't often swear, but Fuck Me, its exciting being a Liverpool Fan again.  Thanks Brendan :)

;) I think he handles it perfectly!

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #4197 on: April 18, 2014, 11:13:42 pm »
Funny, that's exactly what I think Sheik Mansour is.

He's saving football apparently, because he's setting up academies all across the world. UEFA are out to get him and City because they have an agenda.

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4198 on: April 18, 2014, 11:14:38 pm »
Let's remember the forum rules for Bluemoon - human rights abuse is perfectly acceptable from the Sheikh, but snide remarks at City's overpaid team? Send the bastard to hell.

It's all meltdown on Human Rights FC forum.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #4199 on: April 18, 2014, 11:24:48 pm »
Rival fans use it now. Badge of honour. They're talking about him more and more and laying into his 'sound-bytes'. If rival fans are properly hating him then that means he's doing something right.

Shankly used to take sly digs at his rivals. It was part of the game. Brendan does the same and has been doing it all season. He's just a fuck load more subtle than Jose Mourinho.

Long may all this continue.

:wellin

Exactly!
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.