Author Topic: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool Manager (ours to keep - or at least till 2018)  (Read 958636 times)

Offline Redpross1

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool Manager
« Reply #4000 on: April 15, 2014, 05:20:12 pm »
I too doubted him..... I think this was still more to do with the hurt of losing Kenny rather than anything Brendan had done.

It's taken sometime to get over that as I'm 46 and too me Kenny was and still is everything!!!! So with him going and Brendan coming in I was not sure how he could do better.

It's only in the last few months that I've come to realise just how lucky we are to have him in place...... his dignity, his reverence to the history and tradition of the Club.... his tactical understanding and the way he has galvanised the players and Club as a whole have changed my mind.

And of course getting Kenny to come back into the Club in an ambassadorial role has been great also.

Brendan YNWA!!!   

Offline DowningStreet

• Kopite
  • LFC 13/14- The glory road
« Reply #4001 on: April 15, 2014, 05:21:22 pm »

I thought it was real firs time I saw it, I thought no way would Sky do something so foolish.

Offline mart356

• Lucas Leiva, midfield saviour. Dejan Lover
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4002 on: April 15, 2014, 05:26:08 pm »
I really like Martinez aswell, there I said it.

Offline KeithK83

• Kopite
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #4003 on: April 15, 2014, 05:35:42 pm »
We are very lucky to have this man as manager, he really is top class in every regard. Really fantastic from Martinez too, great gesture.
Walk on... Walk on... With Hope... In Your Heart

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4004 on: April 15, 2014, 05:41:49 pm »
Great speech, very humble and Kenny like. Hes obviously learning from the great man.
And fair play to martinez, an Everton manager I actually like (feel dirty now)

Nothing wrong with that. We got so used to Moyes, we forgot they can actually have likeable managers at the club. Infact, there are a lot of top people at that club.

Offline edge

• hill, getting off at...with a dijk still hard...
  • Legacy Fan
  • allright, then..
« Reply #4005 on: April 15, 2014, 05:43:35 pm »
Wonderful speech by Brendan. He seemed quite nervous, and very humble.

Made me like him even more.

Offline Spraynard Kruger

• Wholeheartedly supports the cause but would stay seated in a walk-out protest cos, you know, it's so expensive to get to the game, so doesn't wholeheartedly support after all and misses the point completely. All in one sentence. Wow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4006 on: April 15, 2014, 05:45:53 pm »
It's quite alright to like Martinez. He would almost certainly be our manager right now after all, if Rodgers had decided to stay at Swansea. At this rate, he probably is not going to be managing Everton much longer anyway. And even though he's doing great things with Everton and that's not enjoyable for us, it's great that he's making the Merseyside Derby less a battleground and more a fixture the whole world wants to see for the footballing spectacle.

"Sometimes you have to just chill out, look at the Everton fans and let them realise what time it is." - Daniel Sturridge

Offline @indykaila

• the twitter guy off twitter with the hat, off twitter
  • Main Stander
  • Never forget JFT96
« Reply #4007 on: April 15, 2014, 05:50:04 pm »
Here his speech https://grabyo.com/g/v/FzFI8VQOeoH?_=1

Amazing.

JFT96
When we win the league my life will be completed

Offline red_dub

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4008 on: April 15, 2014, 05:53:00 pm »
Nothing wrong with that. We got so used to Moyes, we forgot they can actually have likeable managers at the club. Infact, there are a lot of top people at that club.
It's quite alright to like Martinez. He would almost certainly be our manager right now after all, if Rodgers had decided to stay at Swansea. At this rate, he probably is not going to be managing Everton much longer anyway. And even though he's doing great things with Everton and that's not enjoyable for us, it's great that he's making the Merseyside Derby less a battleground and more a fixture the whole world wants to see for the footballing spectacle.

Very true to both.
@ redpross1 even better mate hes on the board of directors now. I too was upset when Kenny was ousted but I have to give it to them. The gamble has worked out well and we've got two great men at the club now.
“Aim for the sky and you'll reach the ceiling. Aim for the ceiling and you'll stay on the floor.”

Bill Shankly

Offline houkura

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4009 on: April 15, 2014, 06:07:29 pm »

It's enjoyable for me that he's doing well at Everton. As long as they're below us I wish them more success than any Manchester or London club. I've not been Martinez's biggest fan but his speech today was full of class. Brendan's speech was befitting of a proper Liverpool manager and very moving for me. Someone mentioned he seemed nervous and I agree. Real humility from him and his recognisation of Kenny was top notch and incredibly touching.
"Good to be here, good to be anywhere."  --Keith Richards

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4010 on: April 15, 2014, 06:38:37 pm »
Brendan and Martinez were both top, top class.

I hope Everton get 4th, I always have.  Lot of good in that Club, top Scousers mainly (a few turds excepted).  How is it wrong to want them to be the 2nd best team in the land...  ahead of the other candidates?

And every time I see Trevor Hicks or Margaret, I start to cry.  Before they even speak.  I'm 54.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4011 on: April 15, 2014, 06:40:40 pm »
Wonderful today. Made me emotional when he spoke of Kenny.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #4012 on: April 15, 2014, 07:00:21 pm »
After that speech today, am thinking we should be making that contract extension into a biggy. 8 months anyone?
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline eurolines

• Main Stander
« Reply #4013 on: April 15, 2014, 07:34:38 pm »
Win the title and he joins those banners simple as that.

I did love Roy Evo and Ged, and they won cups (Ged gave me fantastic memories) but LFC's greatest win either the league or European Cup.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #4014 on: April 15, 2014, 07:38:02 pm »
Win the title and he joins those banners simple as that.

I did love Roy Evo and Ged, and they won cups (Ged gave me fantastic memories) but LFC's greatest win either the league or European Cup.
Watson, Ashworth, McQueen and Kay?
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline MotownRed

• Main Stander
« Reply #4015 on: April 15, 2014, 08:09:57 pm »

I hope Everton get 4th, I always have.  Lot of good in that Club, top Scousers mainly (a few turds excepted).  How is it wrong to want them to be the 2nd best team in the land...  ahead of the other candidates?

And every time I see Trevor Hicks or Margaret, I start to cry.  Before they even speak.  I'm 54.

Old fart. :)

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4016 on: April 15, 2014, 08:13:37 pm »
Old fart. :)

Can't deny it!

Wasn't Andy Burnham the star of the show?  Exceptional.

*Sorry for taking this thread offtopic, but I'm a wee bit sniffy tonight.

Offline Gandalf The Red

• Anny Roader
  • Free Palestine
    • Palestine Solidarity
« Reply #4017 on: April 15, 2014, 08:21:34 pm »
Here his speech https://grabyo.com/g/v/FzFI8VQOeoH?_=1

Amazing.

JFT96

That nearly knocked me for six. 

I know we'd all love the title for Stevie, for the rest of the team and for ourselves but this is such a big year for the 96,and their families, in more ways than one.  I would just love us to win it for them.

"And you dare to call me a terrorist, while you look down your guns..."

Offline Gandalf The Red

• Anny Roader
  • Free Palestine
    • Palestine Solidarity
« Reply #4018 on: April 15, 2014, 08:24:17 pm »

I too remember when we were the best team, with Everton in a close second.  For me, there has never been better FA Cup finals than 86 and 89.

We are Batman and they are our Joker.  I'm happy enough to see them doing well just as long as it's never at our expense.

Offline cowtownred

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4019 on: April 15, 2014, 08:39:55 pm »
I too remember when we were the best team, with Everton in a close second.  For me, there has never been better FA Cup finals than 86 and 89.

We are Batman and they are our Joker.  I'm happy enough to see them doing well just as long as it's never at our expense.

This.

And I know you and I aren't scousers.. and I understand there's a difference for us..

But still, if we were always first, I'd want Everton to be second.

I hate Man Utd, I despise Chelsea even more... but I like to see Everton do well (just not as well as us).  After all, they are from Liverpool too. They join with the Reds when it really matters, they often live in the same family as Reds!

Offline Gandalf The Red

• Anny Roader
  • Free Palestine
    • Palestine Solidarity
« Reply #4020 on: April 15, 2014, 08:45:28 pm »
100%

For me, it's as much a yearning for yesteryear and a reminder of the glory days as anything else.

It seems to be on the way back though fella :-)

Offline HBAHFH

• Main Stander
« Reply #4021 on: April 15, 2014, 08:47:04 pm »
Martinez - what a man. Rooting for them to get 4th.

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #4022 on: April 15, 2014, 08:48:13 pm »
We've finally found Rafa's long term successor. Class in every way.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4023 on: April 15, 2014, 08:48:14 pm »
Once again, credit to Rodgers. For what he's done with the side. For his belief in attacking football. For his courage to play it no matter who the opponent is. Or, maybe courage is the wrong word. Maybe it's more fitting to call it simplicity, that he sticks to his ideas.

:thumbup

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Greebo62

• Matchday Project Manager. Amazingly Available! Apply within, ladies.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #4024 on: April 15, 2014, 09:40:45 pm »

I'm 51 and i'd agree with you mate.

Everton, and evertonians were a major help after the events of Hillsborough, for that, I'll always have a soft spot for them, added to which I used to get in free at Goodison when they were home (had a saturday job there) and went to Anfield the alternate weekends.  Used to enjoy the rivalry, but it all went a bit sour (when they got bitter) after Heysel and the European ban.  For some reason they blamed LFC...  I'm hioping that the healing path of the last 25 years will also see a warming between the two sets of fans over time.

On topic, I think Brendan showed his absolute class today.  The mention and words about Kenny and the clear emotion in his voice talking about the leadership Kenny provided for the whole city show that he really actually gets us. 

We've finally found Rafa's long term successor. Class in every way.
:wellin
Believe...

Offline Jrkopite

• Main Stander
« Reply #4025 on: April 15, 2014, 09:47:49 pm »
When the King became our manager again I walked around with a smile a mile wide for weeks. Every time we scored and you saw that familiar grin on Kenny's face, magic!  I and I'm pretty sure every other Red knew we had our club back. I was gutted when he got replaced, absolutely gutted. It took me a long while to get used to Brendan in the dugout, but he has won me over, whatever happens in the next four games. I've never laughed so much at the match. Some of the stuff we've played has been as good if not better than anything I've seen in over 40 years of following the Reds. So the three envelopes episode is forgiven!

Offline MotownRed

• Main Stander
« Reply #4026 on: April 15, 2014, 09:57:12 pm »
Can't deny it!

Wasn't Andy Burnham the star of the show?  Exceptional.

*Sorry for taking this thread offtopic, but I'm a wee bit sniffy tonight.

Good on yeah, I was born in 61, so I am not far behind you. Unfortunately I am stuck in Monterrey, MX and I do not get back to civilisation until Friday, so it will have to wait till then for me to see :(

Lost 2 mates at the game, worst day of my life....

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4027 on: April 15, 2014, 10:01:39 pm »
First time I've ever heard Brendan stumble. He's such a superb orator. You could see how much it meant to him to be speaking today.

Heartfelt and poignant. We have a great man on our hands here.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #4028 on: April 15, 2014, 10:08:57 pm »
To see how far the club has come and the amazing work Rodgers has done here just rake a glance at the threads here: http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?board=2.2000

These threads are filled with fear, anxiety, doom, misery, uncertainty and petty squabbles. It's very easy to look back with wisdom 18 months down the line but in September 2012 we looked to be in massive trouble. Rodgers hadn't signed anyone, we couldn't score goals, the King had gone and we couldn't buy a win.

Rodgers has done special things.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #4029 on: April 15, 2014, 10:13:49 pm »
Fantastic speeches by Rodgers and Martinez - a league of extraordinary gentlemen.

Felt a lump in my throat and the near inability to swallow my dinner.

Nothing shall ever replace the loss of our 96 brothers and sisters.

Offline 666

• Legacy Fan
  • "وقدم ليفربول بالنسبة لي وقدم الأول لليفر¯
« Reply #4030 on: April 16, 2014, 01:44:29 am »
The British Jurgen Klopp.
"Ливерпуль игроки должны играть, как лев, дать его все. Там должно быть определение, приверженность и решимость быть игроком Ливерпуля".

"Так Роджер Хант пропустив кілька, але він потрапляє в потрібне місце, щоб пропустити їх." ~ Білл Шенклі з репортером

Maestro di lingue, conquistatore del mondo.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4031 on: April 16, 2014, 02:59:54 am »
The British Jurgen Klopp.

You mean the German Brendan Rodgers.  8)

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4032 on: April 16, 2014, 03:09:59 am »
It's funny, I remember back when we first agreed to sign Brendan Rodgers, I never imagined he would have the Liverpool Manager look. Kenny had it, Rafa had it, etc. I was slightly concerned he would be another Hodgson, as in, he looked so out of place. 

Yet you look at gifs like these and he doesn't look out of place in the slightest. He looks like a proper Liverpool Manager. He transformed his image with the weight loss and the teeth, and has turned us into the most exciting team in the League, he is a beautiful, beautiful man.

Always thought he had the touch of the Liverpool manager about him. Before he was appointed I wasn't so sure about him, because I genuinely knew nothing much about the man. But I remember my brother giving me some background info on the man, and he just seemed to fit hand in glove. I was willing to go for the man - but still had big doubts about his capabilities to manage such a massive club. But I watched that first press conference when he was unveiled and he exonerated charisma for me. It was a weird epiphany like moment for me genuinely, because I'd never felt so safe and sure with him in charge. Not once did I doubt him, even with the tough start he had, because I knew he was changing the club from top to bottom, and tactically and coaching.

I love the man.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #4033 on: April 16, 2014, 10:46:20 am »
He sang you'll never walk alone along with the fans on Sunday....

Never seen a manager do that before
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4034 on: April 16, 2014, 11:42:46 am »
He sang you'll never walk alone along with the fans on Sunday....

Never seen a manager do that before
Rafa used to, maybe Gerard too.  Roy was too busy rubbing his face to sing tho.
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Offline dnkw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4035 on: April 16, 2014, 11:58:15 am »
Not to mention Ian Holloway.

Offline guyko21

• Kopite
« Reply #4036 on: April 16, 2014, 12:15:55 pm »

Quality post as always cowtownred ... haven't said hello to you since the dark days of H&G, hope all's well! 

I guess every club has its turds (even us!), and agree as a kindred club I'd much rather see Everton do well (albeit below ourselves of course) than any other club.  Good for the community, and let's face it, the 80s were a dream in pure footballing terms for the city. 

Rodgers and Martinez were just class at the memorial, reflecting their class as human beings and leaders - at such a young age too. 

What's remarkable about Brendan is that from the minute he arrived at LFC he was never daunted by the history, nor by the footsteps he was following in - particularly Kenny's.  He has always talked Kenny up, and while he's acknowledged we were too far down the league table when he arrived, he never pointed any fingers or belittled his inheritance. 

I thought his introductory press conference was brilliant at the time, and while the Being documentary was face-behind-hands stuff, there was one scene that stayed with me.  The one where he bollocked Raheem and showed everyone who was boss. 

I remember Souness saying about Kenny that he could instill a bit of fear when necessary, which was part of his great managerial qualities, and I think that applies to Brendan too.  He'll be with you all the way, but piss him off and he'll let you know who's boss.  He's not intimidated by player power - as exemplified by his no-nonsense treatment of Luis last summer, yet he's able to balance everything for the benefit of the club.  To get Luis to sign a new contract after all that is utter genius.  He is wise beyond his years. 

If we win the league this year, which would be so deserved on so many levels, Brendan Rodgers' gravitas will only become more profound.  To do what he's done in 2 seasons is beyond ridiculous in this era.  With or without Europa league - that's a red herring as no-one has ever come close to what we've done this year even without the extra games. 

Just one last thing, he has brought back the mystique of the club which evaporated somewhat when Kenny resigned in 1991 and we only saw flickers of under Rafa.  But this season there's just something about Liverpool that is beyond the tangible. 
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 12:18:48 pm by guyko21 »

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #4037 on: April 16, 2014, 12:17:10 pm »
New contract. Hurry up FSG. Make that happen now please.
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline HBAHFH

• Main Stander
« Reply #4038 on: April 16, 2014, 12:19:58 pm »
New contract. Hurry up FSG. Make that happen now please.
What's the rush? Why the worry? It'll happen after the season's over, no need to focus on that now. He isn't going anywhere.

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4039 on: April 16, 2014, 12:22:50 pm »
What's the rush? Why the worry? It'll happen after the season's over, no need to focus on that now. He isn't going anywhere.

Exactly.

They all know its happening.  Its probably been said in passing conversation amongst themselves they'll sort it out after the season.

Rodgers is going nowhere.