Author Topic: The Stats Behind Our Formations  (Read 1969 times)

Offline RooiBefok

• (Crank) Minority Martyr, and Defender & Lover of The 5th Benitle. His most ardent fan. Adores him. No really, I think he's great. The best.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Perservate et Superate
The Stats Behind Our Formations
« on: October 9, 2014, 02:42:43 pm »
There has been considerable chat of late as to what Formation LFC should be fielding.  Clearly everyone has their own opinions on the one they prefer and the reasons therefore, however I wanted to know if any one Formation has proved to be more successful than others in terms of statistical returns, so I spent time compiling the following statistics behind our Formations.

Firstly, I only analysed Premier League Fixtures and excluded Rodgers first year in charge as it could be argued that it was an inherited Team and a year of finding his feet.  The 38 PL Fixtures from the 2013/14 Season plus the 7 PL Fixtures played thus far in our current Season gives a total sample size of 45 PL Fixtures.

Secondly, statistical analysis is what is interpreted ‘in the eye of the beholder’ and can be construed to complement or disprove any one standpoint. Accordingly there is no finite conclusion either way.

Of the 45 PL Fixtures analysed to date, we have fielded the following Formations:

433 in 15 Fixtures with a Win Ratio of 60%
4231 in 13 Fixtures with a Win Ratio of 62%
41212 (Diamond) in 9 Fixtures with a Win Ratio of 78%
3412 in 3 Fixtures with a Win Ratio of 67%
352 in 2 Fixtures with a Win Ratio of 50%
442 in 2 Fixtures with a Win Ratio of 50%
4321 in 1 Fixture with a Win Ratio of 100%

Whilst I have attached the Statistics for each Formation used, I have concentrated on the 433, 4231 and 41212 Formations as they account for 82% of the Fixtures played.

In terms of Home Fixtures to date we have used:

4231 in 10 Fixtures with a Win Ratio of 70%
433 in 6 Fixtures with a Win Ratio of 83%
41212 in 3 Fixtures with a Win Ratio of 100%

If the current 2014/15 Season is anything to go by, Rodgers has used the 4231 Formation in all our Home Games to date, even though this formation has yielded the lowest Log Points per Game to date at 2.2 (this Season at 1.8) and the lowest Goals scored per Game to date at 1.8 (this Season at 1.3). This confuses me as after one looks at all the other stats in the table below, a strong case could be made to use either the 433 or 41212 at Home.  Opposition Teams have gleaned that our favoured Formation at Anfield is the 4231 and are setting up their game plan accordingly.  Mixing it up on a more regular basis between the 3 Formations when playing at Home would not be remiss of Rodgers.

In terms of Away Fixtures to date we have used:

433 in 9 Fixtures with a Win Ratio of 44%
41212 in 6 Fixtures with a Win Ratio of 67%
4231 in 3 Fixtures with a Win Ratio of 33%

Clearly the 41212 gives us the best return in Away Fixtures, given our Win Ratio of 67%; Log Points Attained per Game of 2.2; Goals scored per game of 3.2; Possession % of 55%; Total Shots of 17.0 per Game and Shots on Target of 7.2 per game.  The only question that remains is that if the 41212 is so effective for us in our Away Fixtures why then does Rodgers not make more use of it at Anfield?

I could go on endlessly with my perception of the Statistics but as already stated everyone will glean their own interpretations of said Statistics so over to you.

(Cannot seem to attach all the Formation Stats in one ‘post submission’ so will post them individually)
“The 5th Benitle fell in love with himself eighteen years ago and has remained faithful ever since”

Offline RooiBefok

• (Crank) Minority Martyr, and Defender & Lover of The 5th Benitle. His most ardent fan. Adores him. No really, I think he's great. The best.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Perservate et Superate
Re: The Stats Behind Our Formations
« Reply #1 on: October 9, 2014, 02:43:32 pm »
4321 Formation
“The 5th Benitle fell in love with himself eighteen years ago and has remained faithful ever since”

Offline jdpapa3

• Kopite
« Reply #2 on: October 9, 2014, 03:28:18 pm »
How would something like the West Ham game this season be handled where we started off in 41212 and then went to a 3 at the back. Shouldn't there be decimals?

Offline BassTunedToRed

• This X-Axis goes up to 11.
  • Kopite
    • Bass Tuned To Red
« Reply #3 on: October 9, 2014, 04:54:46 pm »
How would something like the West Ham game this season be handled where we started off in 41212 and then went to a 3 at the back. Shouldn't there be decimals?

I would guess the data is from WhoScored (as I've compiled similar numbers myself in the past) in which case it'll just be the starting formation with no allowance for in games changes. Which is generally fine for most games, but that West Ham game is a good example of when it isn't.

Offline RGF30

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • Insurance
« Reply #4 on: October 9, 2014, 04:55:04 pm »
Three comments
1 sample size way to small.
2 a lot would depend on opposition.
3 a lot would depend on LFC starting lineup.

Would be interesting to check again at a later stage.

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 9, 2014, 05:27:10 pm »
How does one judge what we are playing. When Suarez and Sturridge started last season and Sturridge was wide. As far as I see we always play 4-3-3 with different personnel
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 9, 2014, 05:54:40 pm »
Three comments
1 sample size way to small.
2 a lot would depend on opposition.
3 a lot would depend on LFC starting lineup.

Would be interesting to check again at a later stage.

Also he switches roles in game so to say we started with one formation does not mean players stayed there.

Offline LFC Matt

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7 on: October 9, 2014, 08:02:14 pm »
I'm guessing here, but probably most the times we played a midfield diamond was when we had both Suarez and Sturridge starting--which would obviously increase our chances of winning since they were our best two players. Rodgers' formation decisions are largely based on trying to fit all the best players that are available to him, and rightly so I think. This shows to me that it's not necessarily the formation which is important but the quality of the XI that is on the field.