Author Topic: Results Comparison Thread: 2013-4  (Read 136522 times)

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Results Comparison Thread: 2013-4
« Reply #120 on: October 6, 2013, 06:29:56 pm »
The defense stats:

Southampton leading the way on best average, and most clean sheets.

Sunderland & Palace can't keep them out.

Offline Jack Slater

• The hard hitting Detective with a drink problem and an eye for the ladies
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: October 6, 2013, 07:56:55 pm »
Clear gap between top 7 and rest on equivalent match, but Southampton are this seasons "dark horse" candidate

It's interesting that Arsenal are actually -5. 

So, in other words, all they have done so far this season is play games which they won last season.  In that context, their 5,1,1 record this season is less impressive.

Also interesting that for all Moyes's paranoid conspiracy theory that the PL actually lied about the fixtures being random, and deliberately chose hard games for him to start (why????), MU is actually down on the equivalent games any way.  So the games might have been tough-ish, but he hasnt managed to match Mr Ferguson in them (to everyone's surprise, I'm sure).

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: October 6, 2013, 08:03:10 pm »
It's interesting that Arsenal are actually -5. 

So, in other words, all they have done so far this season is play games which they won last season.  In that context, their 5,1,1 record this season is less impressive.

Also interesting that for all Moyes's paranoid conspiracy theory that the PL actually lied about the fixtures being random, and deliberately chose hard games for him to start (why????), MU is actually down on the equivalent games any way.  So the games might have been tough-ish, but he hasnt managed to match Mr Ferguson in them (to everyone's surprise, I'm sure).

The equivalent match comp is always the "big tell" IMO, other than Southampton, not much yet to change the order significantly, but I think it's clear it will be tighter, both up at the top, and in the middle.
« Last Edit: October 6, 2013, 08:04:59 pm by JP-65 »

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: October 15, 2013, 11:10:56 am »

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: October 15, 2013, 11:52:14 am »
Yeah, the most telling part is that after the Newcastle and West Brom games we will be coming into our most difficult run of fixtures this season. No-one should be surprised if we are somewhere between 5th-7th by the turn of the year. I just pray for no negative knee-jerk reactions from people as we will still be in a recoverable position for a strong challenge for 4th.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #125 on: October 15, 2013, 02:33:51 pm »
Worth a read:

http://basstunedtored.com/2013/10/14/tipping-point/

To add to that, our last 38 games are 1.87 points per game - which would be 71 over a season, that is two behind Arsenal (4th) and one behind Tottenham (5th) (based on last seasons points totals). So our 'over a season form' signs point to us at least being in the race for the upper places in the league come the end of the season- and that would be a first step towards getting over the precipice, it's just whether we could whether another storm of 5th/6th even if the points gap to fourth is much smaller than previous season and our points total is much higher than previous seasons.

There is no doubt in my mind that 52, 58 and 61 will all be beaten, and that has to be one brilliant positive IMO.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 02:37:07 pm by Hij »
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline BassTunedToRed

• This X-Axis goes up to 11.
  • Kopite
    • Bass Tuned To Red
« Reply #126 on: October 15, 2013, 06:28:41 pm »
Yeah, the most telling part is that after the Newcastle and West Brom games we will be coming into our most difficult run of fixtures this season. No-one should be surprised if we are somewhere between 5th-7th by the turn of the year. I just pray for no negative knee-jerk reactions from people as we will still be in a recoverable position for a strong challenge for 4th.

After Newcastle, our next 17 fixtures only yielded a total of 19 points last season. Lots of room for improvement. Maybe we should embrace this period as we don't have much to lose!

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: October 15, 2013, 07:05:57 pm »
After Newcastle, our next 17 fixtures only yielded a total of 19 points last season. Lots of room for improvement. Maybe we should embrace this period as we don't have much to lose!

Good to have woken the "Bass" out of his cage!

Offline BassTunedToRed

• Kopite
    • Bass Tuned To Red
« Reply #128 on: October 15, 2013, 10:41:07 pm »
Haha, got this page bookmarked now, John, so you might see a bit more of me around here!

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: October 15, 2013, 10:45:15 pm »
Haha, got this page bookmarked now, John, so you might see a bit more of me around here!

Thanks, it'd be great to have some quality posters add to the dross I put up here.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: October 16, 2013, 02:59:03 pm »

Great point. I think that'll be the test for us - it's almost half a season worth of football there, and given our great start, we're well set to go into that period. A period which will define our season pretty much.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline goalrushatgoodison

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Still waiting for the great leap forward.
« Reply #131 on: October 20, 2013, 02:52:32 pm »
Posted this in the wrong thread earlier!

Our 61 point total last year left a total of 53 pts in the room for improvement Dept. the total room for improvement in our first 8 games (replacing QPR with Crystal Palace) was 9 - we got 15 pts from the same fixtures last year.

So we are two pts ahead of last year after games where the maximum room for improvement was 9. Extrapolating this over a season where the total room for improvement was 53 gives us a projected return, based on performance to date, of marginally under 12. Rounded up that's 73pts. I think most of us would take that total as an acceptable season whether it got us top four or not. Taking into account the fact that we haven't played well I think this is encouraging even if 8 games is a very small sample
Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad.

Offline BassTunedToRed

• Kopite
    • Bass Tuned To Red
« Reply #132 on: October 20, 2013, 05:20:12 pm »
So where are we now?

Two points up on last season, with nothing at risk next week against a low scoring West Brom side.

To hit 71 (and thus the average that the team finishing 4th has had in the last 5 seasons), we need 1.80 points per game from here on in. As we average 1.92 in 2013 so far, it seems plausible to me....

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: October 20, 2013, 06:34:59 pm »
Updated charts:

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: October 20, 2013, 06:46:00 pm »
So where are we now?

Two points up on last season, with nothing at risk next week against a low scoring West Brom side.

To hit 71 (and thus the average that the team finishing 4th has had in the last 5 seasons), we need 1.80 points per game from here on in. As we average 1.92 in 2013 so far, it seems plausible to me....

I'll look at setting up my season to go summaries soon, looks like a top 7 again, with Southampton replacing Man Utd  ;D

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: October 20, 2013, 10:15:57 pm »
Here's a look at our goals for and against average, last season vs this.

Scoring more, letting in less....a good start

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: October 20, 2013, 10:44:15 pm »
Here's the same data, looking at it on the basis of rolling last 5 matches, scoring more, but also starting to let in more

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #137 on: October 21, 2013, 05:43:03 pm »
Great point. I think that'll be the test for us - it's almost half a season worth of football there, and given our great start, we're well set to go into that period. A period which will define our season pretty much.

Forgive the hyperbole, but I think it is the most crucial half a season in many years and will define Rodger's tenure.

No pressure lads.
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #138 on: October 22, 2013, 10:29:27 am »
Hi, not sure this is the right place to ask this but it is a comparison of sorts. We keep hearing about our poor defending of set pieces but what about our conversion? We seem to get endless corners EVERY game and I always think this is the one - then it gets headed clear or over again!
Have we improved any aspect of our set pieces over the past season and a bit?
Am I right in thinking we are not doing any better at corner conversion despite having three centre backs who are all beasts now?
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: October 22, 2013, 10:33:03 am »
Hi, not sure this is the right place to ask this but it is a comparison of sorts. We keep hearing about our poor defending of set pieces but what about our conversion? We seem to get endless corners EVERY game and I always think this is the one - then it gets headed clear or over again!
Have we improved any aspect of our set pieces over the past season and a bit?
Am I right in thinking we are not doing any better at corner conversion despite having three centre backs who are all beasts now?

Just about to post this, addresses the first part of your question

Nazareth da Gama ‏@Nazdagama 8h
Continuing from @DanKennett work, here is a table showing percentage  of set piece goals conceded by PL teams in P http://twitpic.com/dia22v

Offline redy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: October 24, 2013, 04:27:54 am »
The equivalent match comp is always the "big tell" IMO, other than Southampton, not much yet to change the order significantly, but I think it's clear it will be tighter, both up at the top, and in the middle.

Yeah it is going to be real tight with United coming down to the level of others (per this table, while in reality they are much worse) It is interesting to see that despite being so worse United are still at the top at 81 points. And that Chelsea are -5 in fact. And of course United are going to drop more. What it all points towards is a really difficult league from a bit above the relegation spots, where any team can beat any other team esp at home.

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: October 26, 2013, 04:59:06 pm »
Mootaz ‏@Mootaz_LFC

Liverpool's last 18 Games:

WDDDWDWWWWWDLWWWDW

(W 11 - D 6 - L 1)

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #142 on: October 26, 2013, 05:17:26 pm »
Three gained on same fixtures, two on time.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #143 on: October 26, 2013, 05:28:32 pm »
Mootaz ‏@Mootaz_LFC

Liverpool's last 18 Games:

WDDDWDWWWWWDLWWWDW

(W 11 - D 6 - L 1)
:)
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: October 26, 2013, 05:57:29 pm »
Three gained on same fixtures, two on time.

I have the charts updated, but I'll wait until Spurs, City & Chelsea play tomorrow to post them up.

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: October 26, 2013, 05:58:59 pm »
:)
2 losses in last 21, both to Southampton!

But good to get the WBA monkey off our backs ;D

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: October 26, 2013, 06:05:41 pm »
71 points in last 38 matches (W20 D11 L 7), good enough for 4th, except for last season!

Since we lost at Old Trafford last season, we've gone W14 D 8 L3, 2.0ppg or 78 in a season…..decent!

3 losses were 2 Southampton, 1 WBA

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: October 26, 2013, 08:41:55 pm »
5 points up on equivalent fixtures last season.  Great to get the WBA results of the last two years off our back.

Offline Deo

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #148 on: October 26, 2013, 11:42:34 pm »
Here's a post I'm currently maintaining on another forum, thought It might be helpful here (click the photos for a better resolution):

---

Here's a table of the amount of points needed to finish in a particular position in the EPL during the last five seasons.

Since our aim for this season is to get into the CL, that means we need to get around 68-73 points, if we judge it by the last five seasons. Let's just say that we need 75 points. That equals to 14 more points compared to last season.

---

Comparing this season's results with last season's, so far:

*Wigan = Cardiff City
*Reading = Hull City
*QPR = Crystal Palace

Also, Goal differences are compared to how much we scored/conceded vs that team. A positive value means we scored more or conceded less, negative for the other way around. For example we scored one goal less against Villa but we also conceded one less.

---

Premier League mini Table. Arguably, The top teams in the EPL this season will be United, Chelsea, City, Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool and Everton.

Last season one of our major weak points was that from the teams that finished above us, we've managed to gather only 10 points out of 36, and only one win. It's imperative that we do as well as possible against those teams because one win or loss in those games offsets us by 6 points vs that team.

For example, Manchester United finished 28 points above Liverpool last year. Because of our win vs United at Anfield this season compared to our loss on the previous one, we've already offset that difference by 6 points to 22.

This a comparison of last season's Mini Table with this ones:

« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 01:14:07 pm by Deo »
"Our fans cannot give red cards or award penalties, but they can score goals." - Rafa Benitez

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #149 on: October 27, 2013, 04:38:14 am »
Winning the "mini-Table" would only have gained us 1 place to leapfrog Everton, so great was the gap from 5th 72 pts to 6th 63 pts

Question:  How much is not having European football helping our early League results?  How would you measure the effect of those extra matches has on a season's results?  This time last season, we'd played 7 additional competitive matches in the qualifying and group stages for Europa League.
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #150 on: October 27, 2013, 08:21:54 am »
Winning the "mini-Table" would only have gained us 1 place to leapfrog Everton, so great was the gap from 5th 72 pts to 6th 63 pts

Question:  How much is not having European football helping our early League results?  How would you measure the effect of those extra matches has on a season's results?  This time last season, we'd played 7 additional competitive matches in the qualifying and group stages for Europa League.

There's been some little bits done into the impact of European football on league football. Prozone example (worth clinking links to other studies given there too). Seems, at least from that little one, that the major impact upon performances may be after playing away from home on the Thursday night (assuming that we're talking specifically us and versus performances in the past handful of years when we've not had CL football). I'd take issue with using the bookies' numbers as the starting point there, but appreciate it gives a handle on things, but the suggestion is a 10% reduction in expected points seems to come out fairly regularly. If you get to the last 16 in the Europa League, that's around 6 away games in Europe on a Thursday night. So I make that a couple of points dropped, if you were expected to win the games on the weekend. Of course, there are teams who seem to defy this 'average' too.

Tip of the hat to JP while I'm here.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Liamski-la

• Beehive Hairdo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverbird upon my chest
« Reply #151 on: October 27, 2013, 09:38:55 am »
Don't know if it effects performance but one thing it certainly does is remove an excuse.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but sometimes I abuse the privilege

Offline Anthony

• Snot a Sailing Specialist. Has not signed for Manchester United. Misses Santa's knee!!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We don't need anyone to tell us this is golden...
« Reply #152 on: October 27, 2013, 11:41:36 am »
71 points in last 38 matches (W20 D11 L 7), good enough for 4th, except for last season!

Since we lost at Old Trafford last season, we've gone W14 D 8 L3, 2.0ppg or 78 in a season…..decent!

3 losses were 2 Southampton, 1 WBA

2.0ppg is 76 points ;)

I was thinking it would be good to produce a League based on the last 38 games and then I realised - that's what the Time Comparison does!

:thumbup
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 11:43:36 am by Anthony »
"We will win the European Cup one day. Aim for the moon and end up among the stars" - Gérard Houllier 2001

Thankyou Rafa and Jürgen  for taking us to Heaven!

"Hicks could have purchased Dallas' MLS franchise but decided not to. 'In hindsight, I probably made the wrong decision' he said" - Sports Illustrated/AP 2007

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: October 27, 2013, 11:54:57 am »
2.0ppg is 76 points ;)

I was thinking it would be good to produce a League based on the last 38 games and then I realised - that's what the Time Comparison does!

:thumbup
thnx Anthony, a brain fade I guess ;D

It's funny, you're not the first person to have, belatedly, come to that same conclusion!

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: October 27, 2013, 11:55:33 am »
Thanks Deo, the more the merrier!

Offline freddwarf

• Pub bore. See? See? I was right! Gerrard back in C/Mid! Told you all months ago! See? Listen to me! I'm always right! Chose accessorising over a European Final. Gave his wife the trousers.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: October 27, 2013, 12:01:15 pm »
Lot of talk about Southamton, doing well but they will finish outside the top 6.

If we are still in the top 4 by January and no reason why we shouldn't be the signing of a free scoring attacking midfirlder in Jan who can hit the ground running could just put us in with a real shout for the title.

All depends on January.

Offline Deo

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #156 on: October 27, 2013, 12:19:17 pm »

But you're forgetting the fact that - as I mentioned in my post above - a win instead of a loss offsets us by 6 points against that team, not 3. For example, let's just say that instead of a loss at home and a draw away against Arsenal, we would have gotten a draw home and a win away, that's three points more for us and three less for them. Suddenly, their 12 point lead (73 for them, 61 for us) shrinks to 6 points (70 to 64). Add to this two wins instead of draws vs Everton (4 more points, taking us to 68) which we should have had, a draw against spurs away (3 points difference vs them, one more point for us) and suddenly we're 6th with 69 points, trailing Arsenal and Spurs by just one point. Even a draw vs any other opposition against whom we lost would have probably taken us to 4th because we would have surely had a better goal difference.

IMO, results vs the big sides, especially those we're competing for CL spots are the most important ones we need to get. We need to get around 20 points in the mini-league if we want to truly qualify for a CL spot.
"Our fans cannot give red cards or award penalties, but they can score goals." - Rafa Benitez

Offline Anthony

• Snot a Sailing Specialist. Has not signed for Manchester United. Misses Santa's knee!!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: October 27, 2013, 02:08:24 pm »

It's funny, you're not the first person to have, belatedly, come to that same conclusion!

Yep, that word just about sums me up - but no harm in reminding people of the fact anyway... ;D

Does mean that despite our progress, we are still outside the top 5 over the last 38 games but hopefully room for improvement over the next few.
"We will win the European Cup one day. Aim for the moon and end up among the stars" - Gérard Houllier 2001

"Hicks could have purchased Dallas' MLS franchise but decided not to. 'In hindsight, I probably made the wrong decision' he said" - Sports Illustrated/AP 2007

Offline Anthony

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: October 27, 2013, 02:14:53 pm »

Comparing this season's results with last season's, so far:

*Wigan = Cardiff City
*Reading = Hull City
*QPR = Crystal Palace

Also, Goal differences are compared to how much we scored/conceded vs that team. A positive value means we scored more or conceded less, negative for the other way around. For example we scored one goal less against Villa but we also conceded one less.

---

Deo, that is a magnificent graphical representation of what this thread is all about (Sorry, JP ;) )!

Can I suggest that gets copied into the opening post as there used to be a similar list in past seasons (I wouldn't worry about updates on a weekly basis as the stuff from JP covers that)

(Granny the eggs are at [im g width=682 height=600]http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c92/deo89/LFC%2013-14%20Sats/SeasonResults_zps22ac5eb4.jpg[/img] )
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 02:18:03 pm by Anthony »

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: October 27, 2013, 05:03:32 pm »
Yep, that word just about sums me up - but no harm in reminding people of the fact anyway... ;D

Does mean that despite our progress, we are still outside the top 5 over the last 38 games but hopefully room for improvement over the next few.

It does, but shorter periods, we compare quite well