Author Topic: Martin Broughton  (Read 58772 times)

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
Re: Martin Broughton
« Reply #680 on: June 8, 2017, 06:06:11 am »
Never forget Jovanovich

Rafa signed Jovanonic. It was his last signing I think.

Offline eldagara

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #681 on: June 8, 2017, 06:46:26 am »
To be fair, I think that I have failed to make my point clear.

I did not want Rafa sacked. His loss set us back the RH/ KK/BR years. It has cost us dear.

I am emphatically not pushing an anti- Rafa agenda. He was one of our finest ever managers and is one of the best managers of his generation. He is brilliant on the field. His record at Valencia, here and Inter shows he was lousy as a politician. His subsequent record at Chelsea, Napoli and Newcastle shows that he has learned. It is what good managers do.

Broughton was once quoted as saying that Rafa's sacking was one of the most extreme examples of personal constructive dismissal he had ever seen. It was not in H&G/Broughton's interests for Rafa to go- quite the reverse.Anyone around the club heard the stories, Henry Winter was being briefed weekly by two impeccable sources. That is where Rafa had a choice, at that point he could not help himself (as happened at Inter). I am absolutely certain that if he could live that final year again he would do it VERY differently.
You did wanted Rafa to be sacked. You know much about his records as being a top politician than anything. I think Rafa living his final year at lfc wouldn't change anything, his way of managing a football club is different to other managers, which earns him some success at those clubs you have mentioned. Rafa wrong doing has been ingrates fans, poor board members, players power (for instance Gerrard & Carragher at lfc) & media agenda when he was at lfc.
You are happy that a politician had gone, and in 7yrs now we have poets as 'Mourinho would say' rather than a hike politician, couple with the confess financial stable owners who are yet to match on field success with H&G, enjoy!

Offline FLRed67

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #682 on: June 9, 2017, 01:00:10 pm »
Not sure why Broughton is revisiting this. Does he have a book to sell?

Rafa was caught in almost impossible situation. Gerrard and Carragher wanted him out, the media was hounding him, sections of the fan base wanted him out, and Purslow wanted him out. Probably RBS as well. Of course, he didn't help himself. He didn't have that personality.

I will never forget the team he built in 2009. The greatest LFC team since the golden 1980's. What did Alonso say about that team? "We walked into any stadium in the world - Old Trafford, Bernebeu, Nou Camp - without an ounce of fear."

He was going to add Silva, Villa and Dani Alves to that team. Probably only Guardiola's Barcelona would have stopped us dominating Europe.

The pity of it all.
« Last Edit: June 9, 2017, 01:07:38 pm by FLRed67 »