Author Topic: Liverpool Summer tour & pre-season games  (Read 587089 times)

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool Summer tour & pre-season games
« Reply #8880 on: August 5, 2017, 08:43:43 pm »
I do get this point. But it looks like that's the choice of the manager. Of course there are more players we could have signed - but the manager has focused on a couple of specific, clear improvements. I do suspect we'll sign a couple more, regardless of whether that's the two he really wants above all others. But if we don't - I don't see any evidence that that's not his decision.

We don't know anything yet. He clearly said the window is open until the end of the month and that we will keep our eyes open. He also praised our current players, in saying what he did.

If we end up not signing any more players when it's all said and done, I will be disappointed as it's risky and that was proven last year when we signed a couple.

But until then we have to wait and see

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #8881 on: August 5, 2017, 08:44:38 pm »
Moreno is a very odd one, because he has looked good this pre season.

Being bessy mates with Phil also can't be that detrimental to his chances of staying either  ;)
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline BOBSCOUSE

• Awestruck admirer of the families, YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8882 on: August 5, 2017, 08:44:40 pm »
Solanke goal on 80 mins - https://streamable.com/hky2x

Just watched that clip - thanks for putting it up.

What struck me, as well taken as the goal was, is that "young" John Flanno is so fucking handsome he completely distracts the cameraman from the actual goalscorer.  The boy Solanke must be in tears at the injustice of it all.
JFT96
Here comes retribution motherfuckers!

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #8883 on: August 5, 2017, 08:46:51 pm »
Just watched that clip - thanks for putting it up.

What struck me, as well taken as the goal was, is that "young" John Flanno is so fucking handsome he completely distracts the cameraman from the actual goalscorer.  The boy Solanke must be in tears at the injustice of it all.

I think that may be the first time those words have ever appeared in a sentence in that order.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline slotmachine

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8884 on: August 5, 2017, 11:36:17 pm »
Flanno looks like a fucking extra from Scum. ;D ;D

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8885 on: August 6, 2017, 12:58:30 am »
Flanno looks like a fucking extra from Scum. ;D ;D
More like The Hills Have Eyes.

Offline Red78

• Main Stander
  • One bird for life.
« Reply #8886 on: August 6, 2017, 08:34:45 am »
Now the pre seaon is over can someone do a Watford vs Liverpool thread for Saturday? Pretty please!

Offline dogeibbor

• Anny Roader
  • He wants to come
« Reply #8887 on: August 6, 2017, 09:12:29 am »
What a great pre-season its been.

Youngsters Solanke, Woodburn and Grujic have impressed
Salah has hit the ground running
Firmino looks to be in great shape
Mane looks ready from his injury, as does Henderson.
Moreno looks an improved version of himself
Robertson looks tidy and a good option
We have the best goalkeeping trio in the league

Let the games begin!

Offline Mercer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8888 on: August 6, 2017, 09:13:59 am »
^^ Well said that man ^^

Offline wellred82

• Now considers himself properly educated around the significance of his birthday.....
  • Kopite
« Reply #8889 on: August 6, 2017, 09:14:04 am »
With a busier schedule this year I really hope we get to see the likes of Grujic, Solanke and Woodburn get some 1st team playing time. Solanke looks like a steal.

Offline fewmin' bedwetter

• Would appear to have great expectations......
  • Kopite
« Reply #8890 on: August 6, 2017, 09:27:56 am »
After watching that Bilbao game back as live, I was on a real high. Boy, we were good (with some defensive lapses).

Then coming onto RAWK/Echo, finding quite a bit of negativity over the lack of signings surprised me. Keep the faith, people!

If Kloppo says we've "got Moreno back" and got "a new midfielder" in Milner, well, do you know what, I believe him!!! After what he did with Milner the left-back last season, why would you have any doubt?

Moreno IS looking really good (amazingly ;)). Robertson, in my opinion, is starting to look with his awareness, touch, speed and calmness that, hey, we might just have got a steal here. And Milly I thought was looking good in midfield. Apart from that, there was pluses all over the pitch.

So keep the faith, we're going to be good, really good, and it's gonna be a helluva season, and stop being such fewmin' bedwetters!
NEVER starts a sentence with, "So..."

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #8891 on: August 6, 2017, 10:20:38 am »
Been a good preseason. Good goals yesterday from Ben and Solanke. Looking forward to real matches next week and hope a couple sign for us next week.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline SquirrelandGman

• 24 Hour Party People Plastic Face Carnt Smile (White Out)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Shagging a sheep somewhere.
« Reply #8893 on: August 6, 2017, 10:43:15 am »
http://www.planetfootball.com/videos/watch-jurgen-klopp-screams-play-fcking-football-liverpool-friendly/

:D :D :D :D

Hes so right though. Time to stop mucking around and start going back into competition mode. Holidays over boys. We go again.

Offline NaivetyinBlack

• Suffers from performative anxiety.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8894 on: August 6, 2017, 11:11:39 am »
If Kloppo says we've "got Moreno back" and got "a new midfielder" in Milner, well, do you know what, I believe him!!! After what he did with Milner the left-back last season, why would you have any doubt?

I'm sorry but remind me what he did with Milner last season ? I believe its called a stop gap solution to a catastrophic problem in Moreno. Did that suddenly revitalize our defense ? Did it provide an extra effective option on the overlap ? Looking at his general body positions during receiving and passing the ball at games, I'm certain he knows every Main Stand and Centenary season ticket holders by face. He's not a left back and is agonizingly one dimensional. Thankfully, we've chosen to address that situation with Robertson who looks an absolute steal and should take the starting LB spot.

As for shifting Milner to midfield, I sure as well hope that's not what Klopp has in mind for a regular spot. There was a reason he was demoted on the bench at City and it was because he let too many games pass him by. Though he is good at pressing, he does not utilize space and protect the ball like Gini, is not creative enough like Phil or Adam and does not provide protection and passing range of Henderson. He will be a downgrade on all 3 starting spots in the midfield. Another stop gap solution.

We made 4th on the last game of the season, playing only in domestic comps. We know our squad is thin. Jurgen's comments are either a smokescreen or quite frankly, bemusing.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #8895 on: August 6, 2017, 11:35:38 am »
Now the pre seaon is over can someone do a Watford vs Liverpool thread for Saturday? Pretty please!
One of the writters will be working at something to go up shortly. I know this because I am currently also working on the Hoffenheim one.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline fewmin' bedwetter

• Would appear to have great expectations......
  • Kopite
« Reply #8896 on: August 6, 2017, 11:39:01 am »
I'm sorry but remind me what he did with Milner last season ? I believe its called a stop gap solution to a catastrophic problem in Moreno. Did that suddenly revitalize our defense ? Did it provide an extra effective option on the overlap ? Looking at his general body positions during receiving and passing the ball at games, I'm certain he knows every Main Stand and Centenary season ticket holders by face. He's not a left back and is agonizingly one dimensional. Thankfully, we've chosen to address that situation with Robertson who looks an absolute steal and should take the starting LB spot.

As for shifting Milner to midfield, I sure as well hope that's not what Klopp has in mind for a regular spot. There was a reason he was demoted on the bench at City and it was because he let too many games pass him by. Though he is good at pressing, he does not utilize space and protect the ball like Gini, is not creative enough like Phil or Adam and does not provide protection and passing range of Henderson. He will be a downgrade on all 3 starting spots in the midfield. Another stop gap solution.

We made 4th on the last game of the season, playing only in domestic comps. We know our squad is thin. Jurgen's comments are either a smokescreen or quite frankly, bemusing.

Don't know how you can be so negative after the pre-season we've just had.

Hertha Berlin in the Olymiastadion in front of 50,000-plus basically knew they were beaten after about half an hour, and frankly gave up. Bayern Munich - yes, Bayern Munich - the same.

We'll probably go into Watford with a front six of Henderson, Can, Coutinho, Mane, Firmino and Salah. And that will mean, Wijnaldum, Milner, Grujic, Woodburn, Sturridge, Origi, Solanke on the bench or not even in the squad. And that's with Lallana injured.

Looks like we'lll go in with a back four of Moreno, Lovren, Matip and TAA, with Gomez, Robertson, Klavan in reserve and Clyne not yet fit.

Doesn't look too shabby to me.

The targets we have apparently gone for this summer - Keita and VVD - are real difference-makers.

Yes, questions can rightly be asked about the cock-up re. VVD bragging in the press, and Keita, why all the fuss if they were never going to sell anyway - that's fair enough.

But if Klopp doesn't want to consider alternatives to those two just for the sake of it, I'm happy with that.

I remain hugely encouraged by what we've seen this pre-season - you've got to trust that Klopp can improve players, and improve the team, and I think we'll see that improvement (and have already seen it in pre-season) - even if we don't sign anyone else.
NEVER starts a sentence with, "So..."

Offline NaivetyinBlack

• Suffers from performative anxiety.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8897 on: August 6, 2017, 12:04:34 pm »
Don't know how you can be so negative after the pre-season we've just had.

Well, because as we love to be reminded when we comment on defensive mistakes, it was only pre season !

Also, pointing out where we are lacking is not being negative. We have a fantastic attack and if we manage to sign a good CB, a very potent first team. But look at our squad. Up until October, we now have only Coutinho as the creative force in the midifeld, capable of opening up packed defenses, our achilles heel last season, along with defending.

We've addressed one aspect of it, in providing cover for attack in Salah and an instant first choice LB in Robertson. Brilliant signings and would help a lot but our problems which go further back than last season and have become almost characteristic of LFC remain deep seated. So while I'm ecstatic at the player Salah is and the options Robertson will provide, I'm very wary of the fact that we haven't improved our CB situation, and we are putting too much in Phil's hands. Especially once we play regular games within every 3 days.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!

Offline bobby19

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA !!
« Reply #8899 on: August 6, 2017, 02:23:22 pm »
Went yesterday to the game and as good as it is to see the main first team players I actually left happier at seeing how much some of the younger players are coming along. Robertson looks very good signing and looks excellent attacking - didn't really get much of a chance to see him defensively but him & Mane linked up very well at times and that will only improve as the season goes on which is good.

Woodburn seemed to play it's inbetween the midfield and attack and looked very tidy & what a finish for his goal.

Solanke looks very energetic and have to agree with some when they say that he has overtaken Origi in the pecking order - again took his goal very well.

Gomez, Kent & Ejaria also played well which was good to see.

Despite the lack of signings this summer - if it means that these guys get more game time and the opportunity to improve then that has to be seen as a positive in our long term future in terms of promoting youth.

Offline Callaghan.

• Enjoys a roasted nut (preferably the 'TonyTheRedNosedReindeer' variety)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8900 on: August 7, 2017, 12:37:36 am »
Isn't it "Quickly, Always is too late, blah blah play fucking football" ??
I read somewhere that it was something like, "August is too late to play like this. Play fucking football."

No idea if that's right but it makes sense.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #8901 on: August 7, 2017, 01:06:42 am »
I read somewhere that it was something like, "August is too late to play like this. Play fucking football."

No idea if that's right but it makes sense.
Thank God Koeman isnīt the type to swear at bad performances or you would only be able to watch Everton after the watershed.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd