Author Topic: European Cup Final 1/6/19. LFC v THFC  (Read 236526 times)

Offline Armchair expert

• Almost makes you agree with Gove
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meet the new boss.....same as the old boss
Re: European Cup Final 1/6/19. LFC v THFC
« Reply #320 on: May 10, 2019, 02:50:07 pm »
Don't want to really think about the final till the last league game is sorted and all our players are fighting fit .
That's why I was pissed Arsenal didn't win last week so Spurs wouldn't be able to rest players .

Online BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #321 on: May 10, 2019, 03:02:14 pm »
Don't want to really think about the final till the last league game is sorted and all our players are fighting fit .
That's why I was pissed Arsenal didn't win last week so Spurs wouldn't be able to rest players .
Not sure spurs will rest anyone. It’s three weeks until the game, last chance for a run out.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #322 on: May 10, 2019, 03:08:12 pm »
Not really fussed if they do rest players, not going to make much, or any difference bar picking up an unexpected injury.

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #323 on: May 10, 2019, 03:09:35 pm »
Not sure spurs will rest anyone. It’s three weeks until the game, last chance for a run out.
will make zero difference. Staying match fit and match sharp with no games for 3 weeks is probably the biggest issue you can have so you would want some game.time.

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #324 on: May 10, 2019, 03:09:49 pm »
For the first time in a long time, we are the team with experience for this moment instead of it being the other side. If we go out there and do our thing, there will be only one outcome.

Offline CowboyKangaroo

• aka WayneSkippy
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #325 on: May 10, 2019, 03:24:43 pm »
Club medical expert. Did you feel this Loris?  Did this happen Loris?  Yes?  Oh you’re concussed. Call me cynical but I don’t believe that concussion at all. He fucked and the club covered for him by saying that he was.

You aren't cynical. You're dense. The medical expert was Dr. Ross Zafonte - not employed by the club and a leading expert in the field.
shut up clown. Naby Keita can buy your life and throw it away.

Online sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #327 on: May 10, 2019, 03:35:43 pm »
You aren't cynical. You're dense. The medical expert was Dr. Ross Zafonte - not employed by the club and a leading expert in the field.

Better looking than Samie.

Offline emitime

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #328 on: May 10, 2019, 03:46:53 pm »
will make zero difference. Staying match fit and match sharp with no games for 3 weeks is probably the biggest issue you can have so you would want some game.time.

Yeah, I wonder if we might have a friendly or two behind closed doors.

Offline lfcrule6times

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #329 on: May 10, 2019, 03:48:37 pm »
Yeah, the Man United match. All sorted in the 90 minutes.

Completely forgot this! How could I forget that Gerrard screamer.
★     ★     ★     ★     ★     ★

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #330 on: May 10, 2019, 03:51:51 pm »
It just had to be - we've played an English side EVERY season since 04/05 apart from when we went out the group stages in 09/10 & 14/15!

Our experience advantage over Ajax is a little bit nullified by the fact Spurs know us that much better. Obviously the risk of losing to an English side is just that bit more unpalatable since you won't be able to ignore it.

As long as we learn our lessons from last season, and perform to our best abilities, then we will make things right this time. In some ways, the big break will hurt us a bit more as we are on such a roll at the moment. Just need to find a way to keep everyone sharp.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline shravan.satya

• Kopite
« Reply #331 on: May 10, 2019, 03:51:56 pm »
Does anyone get the 2005 Liverpool vibe from this Spurs team? They looked the most unlikely team to end up in the final.
YNWA

Offline ConqueredAllOfEurope

• Shit, just realised I can have a custom title...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: May 10, 2019, 03:55:30 pm »
Does anyone get the 2005 Liverpool vibe from this Spurs team? They looked the most unlikely team to end up in the final.

Nope. The gulf in quality between us and Milan (on paper) was clear to see. Even though we are better than them, the gulf in quality isn't so big.
"We have to change from doubter to believer... now"

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #333 on: May 10, 2019, 03:56:26 pm »
No. We we're here last season, the players should use the pain of defeat to make sure they win.

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #334 on: May 10, 2019, 03:57:35 pm »
It just had to be - we've played an English side EVERY season since 04/05 apart from when we went out the group stages in 09/10 & 14/15!

Our experience advantage over Ajax is a little bit nullified by the fact Spurs know us that much better. Obviously the risk of losing to an English side is just that bit more unpalatable since you won't be able to ignore it.

As long as we learn our lessons from last season, and perform to our best abilities, then we will make things right this time. In some ways, the big break will hurt us a bit more as we are on such a roll at the moment. Just need to find a way to keep everyone sharp.

If you look at all the same league finals.in the CL, the bigger more established European club won all of them.

Madrid beat Valencia in 2000.
Milan beat Juve
Utd beat Chelsea
Bayern beat Dortmund
Madrid beat Atletico x2

Let hope we continue that.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: May 10, 2019, 03:58:48 pm »

No.

Look at the players we had, look at the players Spurs had. Now compare that to who we played. Credit to Spurs getting past City, but that year we got past Juventus and Chelsea who were galaxies away from us in terms of quality.

Online Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #336 on: May 10, 2019, 04:03:48 pm »

I said before the draw for the quarters that I wanted to avoid them because it wouldn’t surprise me if they went deep in this completion. At that stage they had a healthy lead over 4th and 5th and you felt they’d dedicate everything to this, which is what’s happens.

That said, they’ve been favourites in 2 of their 3 knock out ties so it’s not exactly a shock that they’ve got where they have, the shocking aspect is more how they’ve done it with the late goal. Obviously they weren’t expected to go through against City, but with the amount of games City had at that time I think most rational people didn’t expect City to beat them 3 times on the spin, so it would come down to who won which games out of those 3 as to which team got through (which is why I thought they’d beat them in the league after Spurs got through.) it’s not really like Liverpool who knocked out Juve and Chelsea to get to the final - although I would argue the gulf between us and them is massive going into this final so I guess they could compare this to Milan v Liverpool.

In any case, it’s to their absolute credit that they’re in the final.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #337 on: May 10, 2019, 04:07:32 pm »
although I would argue the gulf between us and them is massive going into this final so I guess they could compare this to Milan v Liverpool.

Not having that. We are a better team, but we're not galaxies away in terms of quality. We are consistent they aren't.

That 2005 side had no right beating that Milan side.

Nesta,Stam,Maldini,Cafu,Kaka,Pirlo,Seedorf,Crespo,Shevchenko.

That's a night a difference gap in quality when compared to our 2005 side.

Offline vorsprungtorbenpieknik

• Anny Roader
« Reply #338 on: May 10, 2019, 04:17:47 pm »
How many subs will we be able to have on the bench for this game?

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #339 on: May 10, 2019, 04:22:58 pm »
How many subs will we be able to have on the bench for this game?

Offline vorsprungtorbenpieknik

• Anny Roader
« Reply #340 on: May 10, 2019, 04:24:50 pm »

Is that right? I'd heard that it could be a whole 23 (inc. starting 11), so that fits. Makes things pretty simple then really. No need to think too much about strategic sub selection. Just pick em all!

Offline Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #341 on: May 10, 2019, 04:26:44 pm »
Not having that. We are a better team, but we're not galaxies away in terms of quality. We are consistent they aren't.

Yep, Spurs are an established, top side in their own right, moulded by Poch over a few years, nothing like Liverpool 2005. And the romanticism of their run is more than matched I'd say by ours, our redemption story from the last final.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #342 on: May 10, 2019, 04:59:33 pm »
im going home from work now but those planning on going keep checking booking.com

ive seen some half decent spots crop up about 45 mins from ground for less than 400 euro for 2 nights

keep checking and something will pop up even if its not 5 star. ok no one wants to pay 300 to stay in a hostel for 2 nights but at the minute thats looking a bargain

i posted it in the accomodation thread for euro aways

im not going but i dont like seeing people ripped off like that
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: May 10, 2019, 06:18:16 pm »

Agree, a full strenght Spurs is a very good side, and not a whole lot worse than us. We’re better and should be favourites but their CBs are top class, and Eriksen, Son, Moura (lately) and Kane are excellent players. Alli too when in form. They are weaker in goal, at fullback and central midfield, but we’re not close to being the massive favourites that Milan were in 2005.

Offline cipher

• Kopite
  • Southport & Toronto
« Reply #345 on: May 10, 2019, 06:51:40 pm »
Club medical expert. Did you feel this Loris?  Did this happen Loris?  Yes?  Oh you’re concussed. Call me cynical but I don’t believe that concussion at all. He fucked and the club covered for him by saying that he was.

You are an idiot.  Do you honestly think we just asked him if he was concussed.  There is a concussion protocol and tests that have to be run.  He failed those which is why we reported it as such.
Raúl barely had a kick. The nearest he got to greatness was when he shook Gerrard by the hand.   Times - Mar 10,2009.

Offline Jack The Lad

• Anny Roader
« Reply #346 on: May 10, 2019, 06:54:10 pm »
You are an idiot.  Do you honestly think we just asked him if he was concussed.  There is a concussion protocol and tests that have to be run.  He failed those which is why we reported it as such.

I’m pretty sure they asked him more than those two questions obviously. All I’m saying is that it’s a convenient cover up to protect the player. That’s all.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #347 on: May 10, 2019, 06:58:34 pm »
Remember that Brexit is for mancs banner?
Scary accurate. 4 PL teams in european finals, none from Manchester

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #348 on: May 10, 2019, 06:58:59 pm »
No way. Spurs aren't some great underdog story. They're one place behind us in the league.

Our team that won in 2005 was very average compared to this current Spurs side.

Offline cipher

• Kopite
  • Southport & Toronto
« Reply #349 on: May 10, 2019, 07:04:03 pm »
I’m pretty sure they asked him more than those two questions obviously. All I’m saying is that it’s a convenient cover up to protect the player. That’s all.

BOSTON — Doctors based in Boston have concluded Liverpool goalkeeper Loris Karius sustained a concussion during last month’s Champions League final that would have affected his performance.

In a statement released Monday, Dr. Ross Zafonte and Dr. Lenore Herget said Karius was examined at Boston’s Massachusetts General Hospital and Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital on Thursday. The doctors reviewed the game film and Karius’ medical history to make the diagnosis.

Karius was injured in collision with Sergio Ramos while defending a corner kick in the second half Liverpool’s 3-1 loss to Real Madrid on May 26 at Kyiv, Ukraine. Karius stayed in the game and gave up two goals after the incident.

The statement said that Karius’ residual symptoms suggested "that visual spatial dysfunction existed" after the collision and "such deficits would affect performance."

Karius has reported improvement since the incident and the doctors expect him to make a full recovery.

Yep, fly him to Boston for testing at hospital and have medical doctors release this statement just to protect the player.  Did you also think the X-Files was a documentary? 

Here is more info provided by Klopp...

“Whoever had a concussion knows there is not one way how it feels, there are different ways. He didn’t feel it obviously. He had a knock on his head and he felt that but he didn’t know he had a concussion. That’s how concussions are. The guy who has it is the last one to be aware of it probably.

“With all the intensity of the game, adrenaline and the disappointment after the game, nobody really thought about that. I needed a few days, to be honest, to accept the fact and deal with the situation [of losing the final]. It was not that easy.

“After four days I got a call from Franz Beckenbauer, our Bobby Moore, our biggest football player who is a good friend of mine. He called me and said he came from a doctor, he told me: ‘your goalkeeper had a concussion.’ I said, ‘what?’ because in the game, from my position that situation is not very good to see: ‘maybe there was contact or not.’ I told him immediately, ‘OK’. He said the doctor is the most famous doctor in Germany. I said: ‘OK, give me a few minutes, I have to fix a few things.’

“I got all the pictures from different perspectives, saw it and thought: ‘how can we all think that the boy who didn’t show any weakness in that game until then made these big mistakes in a very important game and nobody thinks it’s because of the knock he got?’ How can we think that? That was, for me, the explanation and I thought: ‘OK, come on, we need to check that.’

“I thought it was too late, you cannot check that. But now I know a concussion isn’t coming and going in a day – if you have one, you see it days later. Five days after the final, Loris had 26 of 30 markers for a concussion still. That’s clear.

“If you ask Loris, he says he didn’t think about it and didn’t use it for a second as an excuse. We don’t use it as an excuse, we use it as an explanation. That’s always important, that’s what analysis should be: you explain why things happen. So, from this point of view, from my side everything is fine. We don’t think about that anymore and we start completely new.”
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 07:06:29 pm by cipher »
Raúl barely had a kick. The nearest he got to greatness was when he shook Gerrard by the hand.   Times - Mar 10,2009.

Online Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: May 10, 2019, 07:10:31 pm »

No you’re right of course, although I’d argue that the Gulf between us and them wasn’t as big as you’re making it out to be.

Hyypiä, Gerrard, Alonso, Carragher, Hamann, belonged in that company at the very least, you could maybe make a case for Garcia as well.

Liverpool have the best front three in Europe, the best centre half in Europe and the best goal keeper in Europe. I’m not in any way being arrogant and saying that makes this a done deal as it definitely doesn’t, but I do think there’s a pretty sizeable gap between Liverpool and Spurs currently.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #351 on: May 10, 2019, 07:20:07 pm »
No you’re right of course, although I’d argue that the Gulf between us and them wasn’t as big as you’re making it out to be.

Hyypiä, Gerrard, Alonso, Carragher, Hamann, belonged in that company at the very least, you could maybe make a case for Garcia as well.

Liverpool have the best front three in Europe, the best centre half in Europe and the best goal keeper in Europe. I’m not in any way being arrogant and saying that makes this a done deal as it definitely doesn’t, but I do think there’s a pretty sizeable gap between Liverpool and Spurs currently.

What Spurs don't have is Rafa Benitez.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline trimore

• Legacy Fan
  • Dastardly and Muttley with sick laughter
« Reply #352 on: May 10, 2019, 07:30:44 pm »
What Spurs don't have is Rafa Benitez.

People need to understand this. All the underdog sides that won or came very close in the CL were primarily defensive beasts. Ajax in 95, Porto under Mourinho, us under Rafa, Chelsea's Mourinho core in 2012, Simeone's nearly men in 2014.

While Spurs have been consistently shipping goals all season in the PL, domestic cups, CL groups stages and knockout stages. They are here almost solely on their offence and if they win it would be an unprecedented achievement for an offensively driven underdog.   
Go off to sleep in the sunshine, I don't want to see the day when it's dying

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: May 10, 2019, 07:42:01 pm »

In consistency yes absolutely, but Vertonghen and Alderwield are as good if not better [debatable] than Matip and Lovren, Van Dijk is clearly better than them. We have a better keeper, and most of our midfielders are better than theirs except Eriksen. Kane,Son,and Lucas aren't mugs come on now.

The gulf in class between ourselves and Milan was considerably bigger than the difference between us and Spurs. Maldini and Cafu over Riise and Traore/Finnan, Carragher as good as he was, was classes below Nesta and Stam, Hyypia was closer to them but still inferior.

Gerrard and Alonso could play in that midfield but Garcia? Make a case for what? I loved him to bits but he isn't getting ahead of Crespo,Shevchenko of that time.

Spurs can match most sides in the attacking third in Europe.

Online Tommy_W

• Jol-ly. Constipated.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: May 10, 2019, 07:43:45 pm »
It's going to be emotional  ;D

Online Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #355 on: May 10, 2019, 07:44:33 pm »
You’re talking absolute nonsense. We’re all disappointed with what happened last year, but he was concussed, that’s a fact..

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #356 on: May 10, 2019, 07:55:46 pm »
I wonder how many thousand posts this will reach before KO  ;D

Obviously think we can win this one but my only fear is Liverpool play better without any break and we will have to wait for 2 weeks before this match comes around

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #357 on: May 10, 2019, 08:04:54 pm »
People need to understand this. All the underdog sides that won or came very close in the CL were primarily defensive beasts. Ajax in 95, Porto under Mourinho, us under Rafa, Chelsea's Mourinho core in 2012, Simeone's nearly men in 2014.

While Spurs have been consistently shipping goals all season in the PL, domestic cups, CL groups stages and knockout stages. They are here almost solely on their offence and if they win it would be an unprecedented achievement for an offensively driven underdog.   

They are literally one win away from winning it. They are capable of beating us. We are favorites for sure, but it's a 60-40 match. Spurs are a great side. Hats off to them for making it here. Unfortunately for them they are standing in our way to redemption.

Offline 12Kings

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #358 on: May 10, 2019, 08:07:29 pm »
I prefer this over Ajax it keeps us on our toes
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 08:09:52 pm by 12Kings »

Online Jm55

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #359 on: May 10, 2019, 08:10:50 pm »
Kane,Son,and Lucas aren't mugs come on now.

Im not saying they are mugs, I think they’re excellent individually, but our front 3 is better, I don’t think that’s up for debate really.

You’re probably right about Garcia, it’s my romantic memory of him.