Author Topic: Songs that make you cry  (Read 1508 times)

Offline Mr Grieves

• at losing other mr, ending years of Broken Wings encores.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
Re: Songs that make you cry
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2024, 01:38:59 pm »
Always on my mind. Willie Nelson version.

The definition of realising you ve fucked up a big relationship.
Put the ball in the goddamn basket chief

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2024, 01:50:04 pm »
RIP Daniel :(

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JxPj3GAYYZ0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JxPj3GAYYZ0</a>

Thank you Andy and to everyone who has lost someone and a certain song reminds you of them I'm sorry, God bless you all.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2024, 07:56:36 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/YRPBUeVOimU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/YRPBUeVOimU</a>

Gets me every time :(

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/5oEYMGL0ZtA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/5oEYMGL0ZtA</a>
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2024, 08:07:49 pm »
My wife's contribution: When She Loved Me from Toy Story 2 by Sarah McLachlan.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2024, 09:02:36 pm »
Who knows where the time goes-Sandy Denny

Any Major Dude- Steely Dan. Don't know if me mum ever heard it, and I don't know why it reminds me of her but it gets me every time.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2024, 09:08:34 pm »
since my sons suicide, REM everybody hurts.

Tears in heaven / Clapton.

Played at my brother Daniels funeral.

Sympathy to both of you.  :(
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2024, 08:37:27 am »
Smile by Nat King Cole - Played it at my Mum's funeral so it always sets me off.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2024, 01:15:33 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Cxn_5Barsk0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Cxn_5Barsk0</a>
Kill the humourless

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2024, 05:58:18 pm »
This one was pretty tough when my dad died.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/rGkseGFQLh4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/rGkseGFQLh4</a>
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2024, 08:41:37 am »
Bright Eyes - Art Garfunkel, my mum used to sing it to me as a child.

Also, whilst strictly not a song, the theme music to Highway to Heaven. Christ that gets me every time.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline 9 kemlyn road

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2024, 10:41:28 am »
Let there be love ,Nat king Cole .reminds me of my parents and my dad always saying what a great smooth voice Nat had.
Everytime we say goodbye,ellla Fitzgerald is the song that gets me as it was one of me mams favourites and hearing her singing along quietly to it as she went about the housework and what have you .teenage me thinking ,boring ,old fashioned but eventually with age realising what a fantastic voice Ella had ,Christal clear and measured .perfect.
And me dad was right,Nat king Cole wasn’t too bad either  :)

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2024, 10:43:33 am »
Dance With My father - Luther Vandross. My dad is thankfully still with us but that song still makes me cry.

Offline butchersdog

• Scouse Tiger.....grrrr :)
  • Kopite
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2024, 01:27:30 pm »
Brothers in Arms often gets me.

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2024, 04:09:22 pm »
Brothers in Arms often gets me.

Good one. It always reminds me of this mini series on the BBC years ago called Civvies, about some fellas back from the Falklands (it was the theme tune). Really good show if my memory serves

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2024, 08:02:12 pm »
Has anybody said You'll Never Walk Alone yet ?
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2024, 08:36:46 pm »

Thats a given surely?
Jurgen YNWA

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2024, 08:55:34 pm »
Thats a given surely?

It is but ....   nobody has mentioned it and said what you've just said so I thought I'd say it.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2024, 09:23:57 pm »
It is but ....   nobody has mentioned it and said what you've just said so I thought I'd say it.

I did think about posting it, then forgot  :-[
Jurgen YNWA

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2024, 09:43:11 pm »
I did think about posting it, then forgot  .

I sang it on me tod before Sunday's game and I'd forgot how powerful it was All the memories of missed loved ones our kid mainly and what this footie club of ours has done done to us all . The memories and emotions  . It's what we attach ourselves to with music is what Iam going on about .

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2024, 09:52:39 pm »
Just listened to this and it's any excuse to post it  ;)  It does get into me and on the odd occasion it brings a tear to my eye . It full of enchantment ,  love and I guess a bit of yearning in there too. Not all songs that make us cry or teary have to be sad .

Her name is Rosie Mcann .

In Banbridge town in the County Down...

https://youtu.be/ZCLS8_MFvEw?si=0csIXleZhjnUvpDi

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2024, 01:35:13 am »
It was played at my Dad's funeral. Also last year at my Mum's friend's funeral. Very powerful and inspiring in the most difficult of times.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline 9 kemlyn road

• Main Stander
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2024, 07:38:09 am »
You’ll never walk alone was played at my mams funeral .
She wasn’t all that interested in football but always insisted that the song should be played at the end of the service which it duly was ,as she regarded it as an inspiring anthem ,hymn.
When you hear it played in that circumstance,for someone that close to you ,it touches you deeply.
It is a very powerful and emotional hymn.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2024, 07:42:11 am »
Agree with you all on YNWA. Heard it more times than I can remember obviously and always stirs the emotions one way or another. But it was also played at the end of my uncle’s funeral. Completely unexpected, as he was never that into football but as soon as the first couple of bars struck up it just hit very differently.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2024, 08:15:21 am »
Her Ma wants it at her funeral, as you can image, the missus and her brother and sister are not happy about that.
Jurgen YNWA

Online LuverlyRita

• metar made
  • Kopite
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2024, 08:52:44 am »
It's been played at many family funerals.
A few years ago we went on a short break to Krakow. I was sat on a bench wearing a Liverpool baseball cap and a local sat next to me and started chatting about football. He was an Arsenal fan but admitted that he'd always liked Liverpool because, unlike Chelsea and City we were a "proper club". He said that he loved YNWA and found it very stirring to hear it sung by The Kop. He also said that if he got married he'd like his bride to walk down the aisle to it. I didn't comment but I don't think I've ever witnessed that. Perhaps "When you walk through a storm" doesn't exactly have a wedding feel about it?

Offline 9 kemlyn road

• Main Stander
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2024, 08:57:28 am »
I’ve been to other funerals where it’s been played as the Closing song to the service and many times the person concerned is not a follower of football.
It’s a song that reaches many people all over the world for its powerful emotions and features in many social occasions all around the world.
My wife arranged for it to be played and the end of our wedding do as well.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2024, 01:05:33 pm »
If you look on YouTube there is a video of the composer Andre Rieu and the Johann Strauss Orchestra performing You'll Never Walk Alone live in the centre of
Maastricht. Not only does it give you the chills, but they show images of the audiences reaction, many of them are literally weeping.
Its a very powerful video and it got my eyes leaking.

On a side note, I may have told this story on here before, but I once bumped into an old school mate and agreed to go for a beer to catch up. He was a boring bastard in school so it was with some reluctance that I went along. Needless to say conversation dried up after 15 minutes and I was sat nursing my pint, trying everything to get a chat out of him. He's one of those glass half empty, whoa is me types.

Someones phone in the pub started ringing and it was our great anthem, he mutters "I hate that fucking song!". Thinking this was a perfect opportunity for a debate, I said laughing, "ahhh fuck off Dave, never had you down as a blue, you bitter bastard!"

"I'm not", he replied, "we buried my dad to it a few months ago".

Ohhhhh how I wanted to melt into the ground.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2024, 02:57:12 pm »
If you look on YouTube there is a video of the composer Andre Rieu and the Johann Strauss Orchestra performing You'll Never Walk Alone live in the centre of
Maastricht. Not only does it give you the chills, but they show images of the audiences reaction, many of them are literally weeping.

On a side note, I may have told this story on here before, but I once bumped into an old school mate and agreed to go for a beer to catch up. He was a boring bastard in school so it was with some reluctance that I went along. Needless to say conversation dried up after 15 minutes and I was sat nursing my pint, trying everything to get a chat out of him. He's one of those glass half empty, whoa is me types.

Someones phone in the pub started ringing and it was our great anthem, he mutters "I hate that fucking song!". Thinking this was a perfect opportunity for a debate, I said laughing, "ahhh fuck off Dave, never had you down as a blue, you bitter bastard!"

You shouldn't, but :lmao
Jurgen YNWA

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2024, 03:26:26 pm »

Classic AlphaDelta la  ;D

Online RedDeadRejection

• Kopite
« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2024, 03:36:12 pm »
Nina Simone - Our love. Friggin beautiful but reminds me of past mistakes.

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2024, 04:53:21 pm »
Fly me to the moon (in other words) - Bobby Womack

A change is gonna come - Baby Huey version.
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Online Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2024, 05:36:23 pm »
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

Played at two of my friends' funerals (both suicides), so it triggers a lot of emotions for me.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/yvtDnXotr-s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/yvtDnXotr-s</a>
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2024, 06:04:05 pm »
Wish You Were Here is magnificent. Really stirs my emotions too.

An extremely poignant song for me is 'Faith' by The Cure.
A lot of people find it dour and depressing, but I listened to it hundreds of times when I was very close to suicide and it helped me through. Probably because it gave my feelings a place to go rather than stay inside. So, something of a safety valve. I shed many a tear listening to Faith when at my lowest point.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2024, 07:01:26 pm »
The Smiths - please please please let me get what I want

Online RedDeadRejection

• Kopite
« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2024, 11:53:09 pm »
Fly me to the moon (in other words) - Bobby Womack

A change is gonna come - Baby Huey version.

Sam Cooke version can get me teary not gonna lie.

Online RedDeadRejection

• Kopite
« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2024, 11:53:44 pm »
The Smiths - please please please let me get what I want

Great shout as well. Music can really get to me it seems 😂

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2024, 08:44:24 am »
Anybody said Danny Boy yet? Specifically the version in
Brassed Off
when Pete Postlethwaite is in hospital.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.