Author Topic: Wildlife Welfare thread  (Read 19171 times)

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Wildlife Welfare thread
« Reply #120 on: May 14, 2023, 09:04:21 pm »
Well, well, well. Some of us having been making this claim for years.

Wildlife criminals linked to violent crime, drugs and firearms, study claims

https://t.co/b5AIdxxcdF

We had a couple of lectures on widlife crime, as part of my degree.  It's really big business.

Smuggling 500k worth of rhino horn is better for the criminal, than smuggling 500 k of drugs, as you get fair less a sentence, if caught.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #121 on: May 14, 2023, 09:47:18 pm »
We had a couple of lectures on widlife crime, as part of my degree.  It's really big business.

Smuggling 500k worth of rhino horn is better for the criminal, than smuggling 500 k of drugs, as you get fair less a sentence, if caught.

I can believe it. You only have to see the sentences taken out on people who have physically hurt animals to know that this has never been taken seriously enough by those in power. I remember them doing a report on how people who hurt animals a big number go on and hurt people later on, the two behaviours are linked in certain people. They probably think as they were not punished the first time they won't be later on either. Sickening really.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: May 14, 2023, 10:01:23 pm »
I can believe it. You only have to see the sentences taken out on people who have physically hurt animals to know that this has never been taken seriously enough by those in power. I remember them doing a report on how people who hurt animals a big number go on and hurt people later on, the two behaviours are linked in certain people. They probably think as they were not punished the first time they won't be later on either. Sickening really.

Yeah, that's true.

I was really into true crime and serial killers, when I was younger.  Reading about these peoples's childhoods, they often were violent towards animals first.  Then their offending and behaviour escalated as they became adults.

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #123 on: June 1, 2023, 10:41:51 am »
I've been a member of this group since I moved to the Island.

We're now challenging the planning approval in court as we've got nowhere with the various appeals.

If anyone is able to contribute, even a small amount, towards our legal funds to help stop the destruction of 27 acres of ancient woodland along with all the biodiversity that it maintains, it would be truly welcomed.

Please have a look at the website, read the information and see how beautiful and well loved this community space is ☺️

We have a Facebook group, Instagram and Twitter accounts if anyone wants to join the campaign.  If not please at least share amongst your friends and family.

https://www.penrhosholyisland.co.uk/

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/savepenrhosnaturereserve?utm_term=GYQDyMVXB
« Last Edit: June 1, 2023, 11:09:58 am by reddebs »

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: June 1, 2023, 10:52:56 am »
Well, well, well. Some of us having been making this claim for years.

Wildlife criminals linked to violent crime, drugs and firearms, study claims

https://t.co/b5AIdxxcdF
Link to archived version:

would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: June 6, 2023, 04:15:17 pm »
It's been great to see BBC Springwatch actually giving space for the Hen Harrier's fight for survival, there was a very good report on last night's show and a laughable response to the subject by the awful Countryside Alliance. I have heard there is to be another report on tonight's show, and interviews with those investigating the attack on birds of prey in the UK generally. Speaking of which....

https://t.co/JEPivN4EWU

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #126 on: June 6, 2023, 05:38:17 pm »
It's been great to see BBC Springwatch actually giving space for the Hen Harrier's fight for survival, there was a very good report on last night's show and a laughable response to the subject by the awful Countryside Alliance. I have heard there is to be another report on tonight's show, and interviews with those investigating the attack on birds of prey in the UK generally. Speaking of which....

https://t.co/JEPivN4EWU

the CA are utter cnuts and obviously have an agenda

to belittle the RSPBs report is both unprofessional and insulting - which funnily enough just about sums them up
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: June 6, 2023, 06:03:48 pm »
the CA are utter cnuts and obviously have an agenda

to belittle the RSPBs report is both unprofessional and insulting - which funnily enough just about sums them up

The CA are the voices of the bloodsports community, it's no surprise they are taking aim at the RSPB just like they did with the LACS (League Against Cruel Sports) when they were fighting against hunting. In fact I noticed today they have a campaign going which is attempting to get the shooting community active in this subject. It's obvious they are trying to be more more active in this and they are backed by a lot of money. I also noticed Mandelson is interfering and trying to discourage the Labour party from taking on the countryside at the moment. He forgets of course that this lot only represent a small percentage of the countryside and not the majority who despise bloodsports and dislike the carnage it encourages.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: June 6, 2023, 08:55:54 pm »
Absolute bastards but it'll never change when the penalties are non existent.. 

Camera evidence of a gamekeeper beating to death a trapped buzzard and it's a suspended sentence.

Fuck off!!!

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: June 6, 2023, 09:28:08 pm »
Absolute bastards but it'll never change when the penalties are non existent.. 

Camera evidence of a gamekeeper beating to death a trapped buzzard and it's a suspended sentence.

Fuck off!!!

I had seen that one before, it was horrific, but the good thing is they are showing it now on Spring Watch. You are right about the sentencing of course, it's a total disgrace. It's why grouse shooting needs to be regulated, so the likes of the RSPB can hold the estates accountable. The important thing is tonight showed that incident and opened the eyes to a lot of people across the country, who didn't know about it. Publicity is everything in this fight.   

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: June 6, 2023, 09:38:38 pm »
I had seen that one before, it was horrific, but the good thing is they are showing it now on Spring Watch. You are right about the sentencing of course, it's a total disgrace. It's why grouse shooting needs to be regulated, so the likes of the RSPB can hold the estates accountable. The important thing is tonight showed that incident and opened the eyes to a lot of people across the country, who didn't know about it. Publicity is everything in this fight.

I used to work quite closely with our local wildlife police officer back in Barnsley although not regarding raptors. 

There, it was and still is nests being raided for eggs or just pure dickhead behaviour of destroying the nest, eggs or young.

Swans were always a big target due to the challenge of how aggressive the parents are but back then the rspb didn't want to know or try to protect them.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: June 6, 2023, 09:48:08 pm »
I used to work quite closely with our local wildlife police officer back in Barnsley although not regarding raptors. 

There, it was and still is nests being raided for eggs or just pure dickhead behaviour of destroying the nest, eggs or young.

Swans were always a big target due to the challenge of how aggressive the parents are but back then the rspb didn't want to know or try to protect them.

The Yorkshire Dales National Park is really bad at the moment for Hen Harriers disappearance once they get onto the moors by the estates, I imagine people will still pinch eggs though. It's the same in Derbyshire on High Peak you won't see a single Hen Harrier anywhere, but the other side of Derbyshire they are in abundance all because there are no grouse moors there. The co-operation between the police and the RSPB is much better now, but while the sentencing is as useless as it is, it won't deter people from doing these things.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: June 6, 2023, 09:55:39 pm »
The Yorkshire Dales National Park is really bad at the moment for Hen Harriers disappearance once they get onto the moors by the estates, I imagine people will still pinch eggs though. It's the same in Derbyshire on High Peak you won't see a single Hen Harrier anywhere, but the other side of Derbyshire they are in abundance all because there are no grouse moors there. The co-operation between the police and the RSPB is much better now, but while the sentencing is as useless as it is, it won't deter people from doing these things.

People in high places with money  being protected Jill just like with most things that normal folks find abhorrent and corrupt.

Hopefully though the more it's highlighted the tougher things will get for them.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #133 on: June 7, 2023, 08:29:44 am »
money talks - and kills - unfortunately

because there is no proof of some of the missing birds and when there is a report they just blame it on other people, other birds and the bird itself, maybe make a '3 strikes and you're out' law

so with reference to an active piece of moorland:

1st bird goes 'missing' or dies then it's down to other circumstances because proof cannot be determined - but strike 1 for that piece of moorland

2nd bird goes 'missing' or dies then it's down to other circumstances because proof cannot be determined - but strike 2

3rd bird goes 'missing' or dies then it's down to other circumstances because proof cannot be determined - hefty fine or closure of said moorland stating the 2 other cases of moorland mismanagement of either trespassers, illegal hunters, illegal game-keeping or negligent duty of care for birds on said moorland
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #134 on: June 7, 2023, 10:26:46 am »
I wonder if Springwatch would have been allowed to do this under the old regime.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: June 7, 2023, 10:28:51 am »
money talks - and kills - unfortunately

because there is no proof of some of the missing birds and when there is a report they just blame it on other people, other birds and the bird itself, maybe make a '3 strikes and you're out' law

so with reference to an active piece of moorland:

1st bird goes 'missing' or dies then it's down to other circumstances because proof cannot be determined - but strike 1 for that piece of moorland

2nd bird goes 'missing' or dies then it's down to other circumstances because proof cannot be determined - but strike 2

3rd bird goes 'missing' or dies then it's down to other circumstances because proof cannot be determined - hefty fine or closure of said moorland stating the 2 other cases of moorland mismanagement of either trespassers, illegal hunters, illegal game-keeping or negligent duty of care for birds on said moorland

A number of these birds are tagged though and scientists are following every part of their movement. They know if it suspicious or not, if the tag is still on a bird it can still be followed to where the bird has met it’s end. The RSPB know the moment the tag is taken off the bird that something untoward has happened to it. In those cases they rarely find either the bird or tag and usually that’s within the grouse shooting estates. It’s why the RSPB have become more active in talking about it now. If you consider that 98 Hen Harriers have disappeared since 2018 which are known about, how many other birds have been illegally killed which we don’t know about?

Offline Ma Vie en Rouge

• J'aime voir...!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: June 8, 2023, 10:42:15 am »
It's the same where I live (rural Lancashire), where the Duke of Westminster owns large estates (out of his total holding of about 140,000 acres... how absurd is that?) and the lanes I drive and cycle on are often made treacherous by tweeded idiots (often paying large sums to drive up for the weekend from London) blasting wildly at birds driven into their path by the local peasantry.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: June 8, 2023, 01:03:04 pm »
It's the same where I live (rural Lancashire), where the Duke of Westminster owns large estates (out of his total holding of about 140,000 acres... how absurd is that?) and the lanes I drive and cycle on are often made treacherous by tweeded idiots (often paying large sums to drive up for the weekend from London) blasting wildly at birds driven into their path by the local peasantry.

He's one of the worst examples for killing birds of prey his estates have caused all sots of issues, sadly it doesn't surprise me what you have said. Bowland in particular is a bad place for hen harriers disappearing. You have my smypathy.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: June 9, 2023, 07:40:46 pm »
Jeez, now someone is shooting Ospreys! This country is cess pit of animal cruelty talking of which the Government wants to enlarge their culling of badgers and increase the areas, never mind that the problem is getting worse, rather than better. They are really the most incompetent bunch of arses.  :no

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: June 9, 2023, 08:50:35 pm »
A load of starlings have decided our garden is for them,, the doves and greenfinches aren't est pleased though as to them this is their turf.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: June 9, 2023, 08:51:50 pm »
Jeez, now someone is shooting Ospreys! This country is cess pit of animal cruelty talking of which the Government wants to enlarge their culling of badgers and increase the areas, never mind that the problem is getting worse, rather than better. They are really the most incompetent bunch of arses.  :no

Scumbags to the left of us

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: June 9, 2023, 09:58:13 pm »
A load of starlings have decided our garden is for them,, the doves and greenfinches aren't est pleased though as to them this is their turf.

You are lucky to see greenfinches I've not seen any for years. Starlings are ace though.  :)

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: June 9, 2023, 10:02:21 pm »
You are lucky to see greenfinches I've not seen any for years. Starlings are ace though.  :)

I've been feeding them apples all day  ;D

We've got a massive holly tree which they all seem to love & the doves come to the top window every morning to annoy the cat, a cat that doesn't realise that if he didn't wake me to let him under the curtains, he wouldn't be annoyed. He doesn't care about them when outside though and they know it, but they soon bugger off when the other one enters the garden.
« Last Edit: June 9, 2023, 10:04:40 pm by WhereAngelsPlay »

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: June 9, 2023, 10:42:03 pm »
I've been feeding them apples all day  ;D

We've got a massive holly tree which they all seem to love & the doves come to the top window every morning to annoy the cat, a cat that doesn't realise that if he didn't wake me to let him under the curtains, he wouldn't be annoyed. He doesn't care about them when outside though and they know it, but they soon bugger off when the other one enters the garden.

;D

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: July 2, 2023, 11:01:26 am »
Well, well,well. Caught red handed Charlie boy. Not that anything will be done about him of course. But it shows how little they are bothered about the fact that wild life has disappeared on their estate. I mean their official spokesman claiming they have fully helped all of the investigations when they clearly haven't and have been dumping the evidence before it can be officially checked. Arses.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jul/02/sandringham-royal-estate-linked-to-many-deaths-and-disappearances-of-protected-birds

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: July 2, 2023, 11:17:26 am »
This was another case at Sandringham which was not prosecuted at the time, but the fenn trap was improperly set. Proof that this has been going on for a considerable number of years.

https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/news/owl-queen-sandringham-trap-b1775227.html

Timeline

Suspected wildlife offences on or near Sandringham estate

The Guardian has documented 18 cases of alleged shootings, poisonings and disappearances of rare birds and related incidents linked to the Sandringham estate or surrounding land owned by the king

Red kite found dead, poisoned by two highly toxic insecticides on farmland owned by Sandringham. No suspect identified

December 2005
Tawny owl was put down after being badly injured in an illegal trap. The owl had significant levels of toxic rat killer in its body. A Sandringham gamekeeper fined £500 and £470 costs

May 2007
A marsh harrier found dead on the boundary of Sandringham estate, suspected poisoning by toxic pesticides. No suspect identified

October 2007
Two female hen harriers were shot over Sandringham estate. The police searched part of the estate. Prince Harry, a friend and the head gamekeeper were interviewed by police. The birds were not recovered and no one was prosecuted

October 2009
A sparrowhawk found on Sandringham estate poisoned by an insecticide, next to a dead pigeon laced with it. The police and Health and Safety Executive searched Sandringham buildings. They did not find the same substance but uncovered “significant safety issues” with pesticides rule breaches. Warning letter sent to Sandringham

August 2014
A female montagu’s harrier, Britain’s rarest bird of prey, disappeared on land owned by Sandringham. It was fitted with a satellite tag, which also disappeared. No offence could be detected

August 2016
A goshawk died near Sandringham House. Its body was incinerated by estate staff before it could be examined. Its satellite tag was posted back to the British Trust for Ornithology. No offence could be detected

September 2016
Up to 40 dead wood pigeons were found piled up near Sandringham estate visitors centre. One was alive and had blood coming from its beak. The next morning the birds had been removed before they could be examined by Natural England. No offence could be detected

March 2017
A dead stock dove was found close to where the dead wood pigeons were found in September 2016. Because of that previous case, it was investigated but believed to have died of natural causes

August 2017
Another female montagu’s harrier disappeared near the site of the first missing montagu’s harrier. Its satellite tag also disappeared. No offence could be detected

May 2020
A little owl was found dead in a Fenn trap, designed to catch stoats, on the Sandringham land. Those traps were no longer authorised for that purpose. Police said no offences were committed but the RSPCA gave advice to the head keeper to prevent this happening again

December 2020
Further Fenn traps and poisons were found by anti-snaring campaigners, who complained to Norfolk police. No offence recorded

January 2021
A fox was reported “spinning around” in distress in a snare on Sandringham, which led anti-snaring campaigners to be concerned about the estate

January 2021
A pet dog was trapped around its neck by a snare on Sandringham land. The dog owner complained

March 2021
A dead red kite was found on Snettisham beach, very close to Sandringham. Rat poisons and a shotgun pellet were detected by tests. Investigators could not identify a suspect

July 2021
More Fenn traps, river traps and snares, some with poisons, on Sandringham estate were reported to Natural England, and then followed up by the HSE. No action taken

August 2021
Rat poisons allegedly left in the open on Sandringham land. The HSE did not visit the rat poison locations, so no samples were analysed, but the case was added to its database

August 2022
More allegedly unauthorised traps found on Sandringham. Norfolk police investigated and stated they “don’t seem to comply with best practice at the very least”
« Last Edit: July 2, 2023, 11:26:09 am by jillcwhomever »

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: July 2, 2023, 12:12:08 pm »
It's not a great surprise that the Royal estate are killing raptors.  It's sad, as they really could be setting an example.  Instead, they are just another shooting estate persecuting raptors.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: July 2, 2023, 12:40:56 pm »
It's not a great surprise that the Royal estate are killing raptors.  It's sad, as they really could be setting an example.  Instead, they are just another shooting estate persecuting raptors.

No surprise at all but you know it’s publishing the fact that it goes on, which is important. A lot of papers are reluctant to write about it, as it involves the royal family. The incident with Prince Harry was an exception to the rule. We need more articles informing people at what actually goes on, that is half the battle.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: July 2, 2023, 12:42:45 pm »
No surprise at all but you know it’s publishing the fact that it goes on, which is important. A lot of papers are reluctant to write about it, as it involves the royal family. The incident with Prince Harry was an exception to the rule. We need more articles informing people at what actually goes on, that is half the battle.

I agree.  As we've seen from the water issue, public awareness and support is crucial.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: August 15, 2023, 05:44:37 pm »
This is a really good podcast by the Guardian of the attacks on hen harriers on the grouse moors, I have put a link below for anyone who wants to listen. I will put the next episode below when it's available.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/audio/2023/aug/15/killing-the-skydancer-episode-one-susies-chicks

Episode 2 is here. https://www.theguardian.com/science/audio/2023/aug/16/killing-the-skydancer-episode-2-the-perfect-podcast
« Last Edit: August 16, 2023, 01:41:35 pm by jillcwhomever »

Offline DeeBarr10

• Boys Pen
« Reply #150 on: August 23, 2023, 11:26:32 pm »

There has to be a joke in there somewhere..  ;D

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #151 on: September 28, 2023, 03:41:25 pm »
What kind of horrible, sad prick would do such a thing as this, and what motivation could they possibly have?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-66947040

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: September 28, 2023, 03:58:24 pm »
What kind of horrible, sad prick would do such a thing as this, and what motivation could they possibly have?

Hes been arrested now. 16 years old

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #153 on: September 28, 2023, 04:08:07 pm »
Hes been arrested now. 16 years old

:no

No doubt he'll be given anonymity and get a slap on the wrist.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: September 28, 2023, 04:25:00 pm »
Groomed online by extreemists
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: September 28, 2023, 06:51:13 pm »

Strange too, how this all happens the same time as thousands of environmentalists demonstrate against the Government, the act of an individual nutter or perhaps more to it then meets the eye.