Author Topic: Safe Standing ( split from: Liverpool confirm decision to redevelop Anfield)  (Read 497143 times)

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Just randomly came across some figures that might belong here - about the amount of safe standing spots provided in Germany:

From bundesliga.de (in German)

In the future, will there still be standing places in the Bundesliga?

Standing is an integral part of football culture in Germany and is not under discussion within German professional football. Almost one in four of the approximately 854,140 seats of the 18 Bundesliga stadiums is a standing place. In the 2nd Bundesliga, the rate is as high as 37.48 percent. Taken together, there are approximately 397 230 standing places in the Bundesliga and 2nd Bundesliga .
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
We need standing in Anfield. The ground is dead and buried and full of whoppers.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
We need standing in Anfield. The ground is dead and buried and full of whoppers.

And the non whoppers make no noise.

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
And the non whoppers make no noise.

Here's a thing... The more expensive it gets, the quieter it gets. Too many old farts who yes, can afford 19 home games but yes make no noise and worse; grumble and groan through the game.

Hopefully, we/they can all fit nicely in the Main Stand and leave the kop to general sales and the 'kids' (the under-30s), who can maybe do half as many games but make a noise when they do. Just like they do away. But yes, standing can only help.

Offline Sniffles

• Main Stander
  • Lead Explorer
Can anyone comment on this, is it relevant or not?

Safe standing: Lib Dems make 2015 General Election pledge
By Richard Conway BBC Radio 5 live sports news correspondent
The Liberal Democrats want to change the law and allow Premier League and Championship clubs to introduce safe standing at stadiums.

... not really into British politics, but came across that one scanning headlines.
Please consider the environment before printing this post.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
Can anyone comment on this, is it relevant or not?

Safe standing: Lib Dems make 2015 General Election pledge
By Richard Conway BBC Radio 5 live sports news correspondent
The Liberal Democrats want to change the law and allow Premier League and Championship clubs to introduce safe standing at stadiums.

... not really into British politics, but came across that one scanning headlines.

The Lib Dems are unlikely to be a major force in British politics following the next election, there's a slim chance they could end up the junior party of a coalition, but in that situation they immediately and completely abandon all of their manifesto pledges, however strongly they promise not to do anything of the kind.

It will raise the profile of the campaign though, and should lead to a wider public understanding of what safe standing would entail.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
"The Hillsborough Independent Panel's report (in 2012) changed everything," says Dr Geoff Pearson,  an expert on the policing of football crowds at the University of Liverpool. Taking a stand: Will terraces return to football?

"In many ways it didn't tell us anything we didn't already know from (Lord Justice) Taylor's 1990 report [into the disaster] but it confirmed that the reaction to Hillsborough was hijacked to bring in crowd-management and public order measures.

"People were so shocked by the poor quality of most grounds they just didn't think standing could be done safely any more. We now know that's not true. Even Taylor didn't blame terracing."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25269939

The objections to safe standing or even to thinking about safe standing are irrational. Steve Rotheram suggests that if the Leppings Lane end had been all-seater, no-one would have died. This may be true but it's also true that if no one ever drove a car, no-one would ever die in a car crash or if you never went out, there'd be no chance of being run over by a bus.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 10:58:41 am by Peter McGurk »

Offline ripsaw19

• Kopite
I would love to see standing at Anfield. I never got the chance to stand on the Kop and I think the club would benefit from having standing areas back. That said, I would not want the club to go against the wishes of the HFSG who have made there opinion very well known.

Standing was not the cause of Hillsborough but I understand why they are reluctant to reintroduce it. Football has moved on a long way since the 80s and I can't see any issues with safe standing but if we are to get it back, I don't think it will be in my lifetime
ST Waiting List Position - 1556

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
Whilst I support and respect both the HFSG and the HJC, to ne it seems a shame (but understandable) that the club won't listen to ideas, when it's been documented that standing had nothing to do with Hillsborough.

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
Everyone can understand the families position but it is misguided. It's very clear that standing did not cause the deaths at Hillsborough. Many people have stood at many football games and nobody has died.

With the inquest ongoing we can't say who was to blame. But we all know who was responsible - for safety at all football grounds.  This is undisputed.

The refusal to look at safe standing or any kind of standing serves no good purpose. In fact it reinforces the common perception that hooliganism was at fault. A mis-casting that the campaigns have fought for more than two decades.

It's time to abandon a position that ultimately says the fans cannot be trusted to behave at football matches. It's time to think again.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
Everyone can understand the families position but it is misguided. It's very clear that standing did not cause the deaths at Hillsborough. Many people have stood at many football games and nobody has died.

With the inquest ongoing we can't say who was to blame. But we all know who was responsible - for safety at all football grounds.  This is undisputed.

The refusal to look at safe standing or any kind of standing serves no good purpose. In fact it reinforces the common perception that hooliganism was at fault. A mis-casting that the campaigns have fought for more than two decades.

It's time to abandon a position that ultimately says the fans cannot be trusted to behave at football matches. It's time to think again.

I agree entirely.

Offline iamrobk

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop

Plus, safe standing is absolutely nothing like the standing at Hillsborough.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer

The objections to safe standing or even to thinking about safe standing are irrational. Steve Rotheram suggests that if the Leppings Lane end had been all-seater, no-one would have died. This may be true but it's also true that if no one ever drove a car, no-one would ever die in a car crash or if you never went out, there'd be no chance of being run over by a bus.

If there hadn't been fences in front of the stand, it wouldn't have happened anyway.

Whilst I support and respect both the HFSG and the HJC, to ne it seems a shame (but understandable) that the club won't listen to ideas, when it's been documented that standing had nothing to do with Hillsborough.

It's just not an issue that this club can address at the moment. The press would have all knives out, it would be a pr cock up of historic proportions. Anyone pretending they can't see that needs to have a word with themselves.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
Plus, safe standing is absolutely nothing like the standing at Hillsborough.

That is true but I really think you've only to look at German stadiums or even our own Green Guide to see that standing is safe. Safe standing or not.

If there hadn't been fences in front of the stand, it wouldn't have happened anyway.

It's just not an issue that this club can address at the moment. The press would have all knives out, it would be a pr cock up of historic proportions. Anyone pretending they can't see that needs to have a word with themselves.

I really think not. Not that it matters. Because if you care so much what the press thinks, you may as well give them the keys and let them pick the team.

And fences or not, we all trust the inquiry will confirm where the fault lays.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 01:59:16 pm by Peter McGurk »

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
Given the Attorney General's ruling it might be better not to bring up Hillsborough and it's causes at this time.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
Given the Attorney General's ruling it might be better not to bring up Hillsborough and it's causes at this time.

People have stood for many, many years at football matches without incident or injury. There have been incidents. The going back up the exit stairs at Ibrox and the fire at Bradford for example.

Apparently something else also happened at Hillsborough to cause the tragedy that occurred there. We'll have to wait until the end of the inquiry to find out what that something was.

That's no reason to hinder a discussion on the merits of safe standing or standing in general.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 10:18:17 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Safe Standing ( split from: Liverpool confirm decision to redevelop Anfield)
« Reply #857 on: September 2, 2014, 11:31:15 am »
Here's a thing... The more expensive it gets, the quieter it gets. Too many old farts who yes, can afford 19 home games but yes make no noise and worse; grumble and groan through the game.

Hopefully, we/they can all fit nicely in the Main Stand and leave the kop to general sales and the 'kids' (the under-30s), who can maybe do half as many games but make a noise when they do. Just like they do away. But yes, standing can only help.

Nothing to do with age, all to do with attitude.  I am 51 and make as much noise as I did when I was in my teens.   Main reason I prefer aways is the better atmosphere (bar half a dozen home games a season).

That being said all the moaning non-singers should be filed away in their own section.  (could be a pretty big section at some games)
« Last Edit: September 2, 2014, 11:35:51 am by andy07 »
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline cliffm

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • The thing about common sense is it isn't common
Re: Safe Standing ( split from: Liverpool confirm decision to redevelop Anfield)
« Reply #858 on: September 2, 2014, 04:13:48 pm »
If we had a standing section, computer designed for highest safety standards as they are in the modern German stadia, the increased number of spectators per square metre would mean they could charge less.  We need the younger, less affluent supporters back.  And the atmosphere they generate.

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #859 on: September 2, 2014, 08:44:25 pm »
Nothing to do with age, all to do with attitude.  I am 51 and make as much noise as I did when I was in my teens.   Main reason I prefer aways is the better atmosphere (bar half a dozen home games a season).

That being said all the moaning non-singers should be filed away in their own section.  (could be a pretty big section at some games)

I'm a little bit older than that but sometimes it's hard in a crowd of one when the guy in front is too busy eating fish and chips to raise more than a loud burp.

I shouldn't be in there nor I suspect should you. Let the 'kids' (under 30s) have their go. Their memories. Their Kop.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #860 on: September 2, 2014, 09:28:15 pm »

I shouldn't be in there

Why not? Just because you're of a certain age doesn't mean you should hand over the reins to someone else. If you go to Anfield, pay your money and support the team then you belong there.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #861 on: September 3, 2014, 05:44:06 am »
Why not? Just because you're of a certain age doesn't mean you should hand over the reins to someone else. If you go to Anfield, pay your money and support the team then you belong there.

What's going to happen when the older generation who seemingly are the ones who can afford the season tickets can't go anymore?

Cheaper tickets on general sales will be more accessible to more people at different ages. It will also allow groups of mates to stand together more easily which I'm sure is a major factor in the success of the away support.

I don't imagine any drop in prices would be huge or as much as half with safe standing but greater accessibility will mean more people can get to games, even if it's only a handful a season.

There are too many people holding season tickets in the kop that are keeping the more boisterous lads out and even if they could get a ticket on general sale, the price is either too high or too high to go to every game.

Time for the oldies to retire to the 'stands'. And give their backs a rest.
« Last Edit: September 3, 2014, 06:01:25 am by Peter McGurk »

Offline peterstanding

• Main Stander
« Reply #862 on: September 5, 2014, 09:44:55 am »
Peter if the kop was to 25000 standing terrace again what would you envisage the pricing levels to be?

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #863 on: September 5, 2014, 03:05:02 pm »
since the kop grandstand is 20 years old, costing 14m, it would have been thought that the revenue has brought in around 50m by now. At the time when old standing was £9 and seats were £13. so you're looking at around 45% in price difference.
Around £27 - £29 would suffice if the kop was safe standing and that includes the cost of the frame
can i have my old name back please?

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #864 on: September 7, 2014, 05:52:11 pm »
since the kop grandstand is 20 years old, costing 14m, it would have been thought that the revenue has brought in around 50m by now. At the time when old standing was £9 and seats were £13. so you're I looking at around 45% in price difference.
Around £27 - £29 would suffice if the kop was safe standing and that includes the cost of the frame

The ticket price will need to generate the same income plus cover the cost of modifications. A different calculation but maybe your number is about right.
« Last Edit: September 8, 2014, 07:16:22 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #865 on: September 8, 2014, 11:38:59 pm »
I'm a little bit older than that but sometimes it's hard in a crowd of one when the guy in front is too busy eating fish and chips to raise more than a loud burp.

I shouldn't be in there nor I suspect should you. Let the 'kids' (under 30s) have their go. Their memories. Their Kop.

Kids under 30 won't have their go until we create the opportunity, until we bring back a standing Kop that enables a core of singing supporters to gather behind the goal.   The Kop is part of our history and we should be at the forefront of reintroducing (safe) standing rather than dragging our feet.  20000 on the existing structure would be awesome and give us a 66000 capacity after the redevelopments. 
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #866 on: September 10, 2014, 09:12:39 pm »
The main topic is locked, so I'll put this in here for now. Looks like Spurs shiny new thing has been delayed:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/sep/10/tottenham-move-white-hart-lane-season-delay
We are Liverpool!

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #867 on: September 19, 2014, 09:06:21 am »
Kids under 30 won't have their go until we create the opportunity, until we bring back a standing Kop that enables a core of singing supporters to gather behind the goal.   The Kop is part of our history and we should be at the forefront of reintroducing (safe) standing rather than dragging our feet.  20000 on the existing structure would be awesome and give us a 66000 capacity after the redevelopments.

There's lots of reasons why standing could be a good thing. More tickets available at more affordable prices. A younger and more vibrant crowd. Better sense of unity and purpose. Better support. For that, I'm all for it.

It might almost double the capacity of the Kop (on non- European nights). Making a 58,000 stadium into a 70,000 stadium. You could do it instead of an extended Andield Road End. Maybe 66,000.

There's the opportunity and there's the rub. On the one hand you could argue that lower prices on the kop would get in more people who might not otherwise be able to afford it and still both cover the cost and fill such a big stadium.

On the other, you could argue there's no more demand out there and there will be empty seats at a standing match because people don't want to pay to sit when they can pay less to stand.

An answer might be to have a greater proportion on General Sale and proportionately less Season Tickets.

This shift might already come about with the redevelopment by having more of the season tickets in the main stand and having less on the kop. That way a bigger pool of people would be able to get to the match and the atmosphere would be all the better for it.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 10:53:02 am by Peter McGurk »

Offline Rome-77

• Head case, more like! Wtf is wrong with me?
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #868 on: September 19, 2014, 03:06:20 pm »

spot on we have lost a generation the pubs are full of lads on match days
the sooner we get cheap tickets or standing/Rail seats to at least one end of the ground
and have 50% walk up window sales,
with the new main-stand there's enough seats for the corporate/tourist.

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #869 on: September 19, 2014, 09:07:24 pm »
There's lots of reasons why standing could be a good thing. More tickets available at more affordable prices. A younger and more vibrant crowd. Better sense of unity and purpose. Better support. For that, I'm all for it.

It might almost double the capacity of the Kop (on non- European nights). Making a 58,000 stadium into a 70,000 stadium. You could do it instead of an extended Andield Road End. Maybe 66,000.

There's the opportunity and there's the rub. On the one hand you could argue that lower prices on the kop would get in more people who might not otherwise be able to afford it and still both cover the cost and fill such a big stadium.

On the other, you could argue there's no more demand out there and there will be empty seats at a standing match because people don't want to pay to sit when they can pay less to stand.

An answer might be to have a greater proportion on General Sale and proportionately less Season Tickets.

This shift might already come about with the redevelopment by having more of the season tickets in the main stand and having less on the kop. That way a bigger pool of people would be able to get to the match and the atmosphere would be all the better for it.

Only counter arguement would be that more day trippers may get those tickets on the kop instead of regulars (305 lot etc.).  Whether the atmosphere would actually improve or not might not be a definite in that case

Offline iamrobk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #870 on: September 19, 2014, 10:36:08 pm »
the sooner we get cheap tickets or standing/Rail seats to at least one end of the ground

Why do you think we've "lost" them, though? It's a bit hard to completely understand the dynamic from the other side of the Atlantic, I'll concede, but if they're at the pub cheering on the team, have we really lost them? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for reducing ticket prices and for standing, but I think it's a bit OTT to say we've "lost" a generation.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #871 on: September 19, 2014, 11:52:46 pm »
Why do you think we've "lost" them, though? It's a bit hard to completely understand the dynamic from the other side of the Atlantic, I'll concede, but if they're at the pub cheering on the team, have we really lost them? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for reducing ticket prices and for standing, but I think it's a bit OTT to say we've "lost" a generation.

Quite a few go to away games as well.

It's not right when you can get a kids/student ticket for an away game, and traveling + beer + ticket can cost similar or less than a home game where the club continue to make it incredibly awkward and restricting to get a non-adult ticket.

Safe standing would hopefully be a step in the right direction, but it's still going to take a shift in emphasis from the club to get the kids going back the home games when they'd rather "maximise revenue per seat" with somebody who buys a programme, scarf and hotdog
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 11:54:36 pm by Crosby Wych »
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #872 on: September 20, 2014, 12:09:45 am »
Quite a few go to away games as well.

It's not right when you can get a kids/student ticket for an away game, and traveling + beer + ticket can cost similar or less than a home game where the club continue to make it incredibly awkward and restricting to get a non-adult ticket.

I'd love to see how many away days add up like you've said and cost less than a home ticket. You got details on that?

Safe standing would hopefully be a step in the right direction, but it's still going to take a shift in emphasis from the club to get the kids going back the home games when they'd rather "maximise revenue per seat" with somebody who buys a programme, scarf and hotdog

Whilst I agree that they probably would, it goes against the fact they've increased the number of STs massively since they've been here, and greatly expanded the family/kids ticket section with lowered £5-£15 kids ticket prices.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #873 on: September 20, 2014, 01:36:19 am »
I'd love to see how many away days add up like you've said and cost less than a home ticket. You got details on that?

Whilst I agree that they probably would, it goes against the fact they've increased the number of STs massively since they've been here, and greatly expanded the family/kids ticket section with lowered £5-£15 kids ticket prices.

Admittedly it was easier when Bolton, Blackburn, Wigan, Birmingham were in the premiership but it's still possible.

Home ticket you're looking at £50-£59.

Here's 3 I just plucked at random

Take City away: http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/manchester-city-v-liverpool-fc-7570090

Depending on which ticket you get if you get a non-adult you're paying either £29, £33 or £42. You can get the train easily for £14 to Manchester or probably less with a railcard. That's the same or less, as a home game, and you get a day of it with your mates and drinking + standing together in the ground

= £43-£56

Here's Villa away: http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/announcements/aston-villa-v-lfc-ticket-details

Again £19 or £33 depending on the ticket you get.

Newcastle away: http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/announcements/newcastle-v-lfc-ticket-details

£34 students, £21 under 18s.

Hell, even West Ham this weekend is £28 for a kids ticket, get a coach for £30 to London and some cheap bevvy and the difference in price isn't much at all.

The prices end up not too different from a home game in most aways, and if you get a kids ticket and sort your travel + bevvy well you can get it cheaper than if you have gone to Anfield for 90 minutes and back home.

That's one of the reasons young people aren't going to home games, once they hopefully expand the young adult bracket to league games it will hopefully be better.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 01:49:11 am by Crosby Wych »
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #874 on: September 20, 2014, 10:02:00 am »
Only counter arguement would be that more day trippers may get those tickets on the kop instead of regulars (305 lot etc.).  Whether the atmosphere would actually improve or not might not be a definite in that case

Don't think it matters. The atmosphere would improve with standing. You could go there with your mates. After some time, the regulars would form quite a large group. That group would define the atmosphere. All the day trippers would automatically add to this group, they would not divide it. Can't give a scientific explanation, that's just how it works.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #875 on: September 20, 2014, 10:14:07 am »

I reckon there's a hidden factor. When the atmosphere improves, more people will want to go. It will create a buzz and there will be more revenue as a consequence of that. The spreadsheet people should travel and try standing themselves, where it's allowed. I think they worry for no reason.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #876 on: September 20, 2014, 01:36:49 pm »

Have we lost a generation though or have Clubs just realised that pandering to the masses simply isn't where the money is. Do the big Clubs want lower ticket prices, fuller stadiums but less profit on each seat. We might want a return to huge crowds and a working class game but do the major clubs want that.

Why risk alienating someone prepared to hundreds of pounds per game for a premium experience by returning the game to it's roots. There is a finite number of people who can be accommodated by the transport infrastructure so why lower the take per ticket with cheap tickets for the masses.

Premium brands could sell items by the shedloads if they slashed their prices to affordable levels but where's the profit in that if it alienates those willing to pay huge mark ups for that premium brand experience.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #877 on: September 21, 2014, 05:59:51 am »
Have we lost a generation though or have Clubs just realised that pandering to the masses simply isn't where the money is. Do the big Clubs want lower ticket prices, fuller stadiums but less profit on each seat. We might want a return to huge crowds and a working class game but do the major clubs want that.

Why risk alienating someone prepared to hundreds of pounds per game for a premium experience by returning the game to it's roots. There is a finite number of people who can be accommodated by the transport infrastructure so why lower the take per ticket with cheap tickets for the masses.

Premium brands could sell items by the shedloads if they slashed their prices to affordable levels but where's the profit in that if it alienates those willing to pay huge mark ups for that premium brand experience.

There has to be something for everyone. Up to 90% get tickets in the 'reasonable' range and the other 10-12% pay the big bucks. That's the purpose of a sound pricing structure - to satisfy the most people at the price they most can or want to pay.

Right now, we don't have it. A generation is being priced out and are getting used to watching in pubs rather than regularly going to the match. And why not some say. Cumfy seat. Two seconds from the bar. 'Real' atmosphere in the ground not that good anyway...

But as I said, the rub is if there's not enough people out there willing to fill an even bigger stadium even at cheaper prices, why put the club's money at risk? A full standing kop and a half-empty new Main Stand does no-one any favours.

Possibly safe standing's saving grace is that the club could offer all-seater for less popular matches and a standing kop for the big ones.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 01:12:59 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #878 on: September 23, 2014, 07:32:15 pm »
Possibly safe standing's saving grace is that the club could offer all-seater for less popular matches and a standing kop for the big ones.

That's a good idea. Innovative and flexible. Another possible solution to solve many things.

Offline Lolo

• Ex Kop STH marooned on a tropical beach observing bronzed beauties. In dire need of a decent English pint.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • non progredi est regredi
« Reply #879 on: September 25, 2014, 09:24:09 am »

That's a good idea. Innovative and flexible. Another possible solution to solve many things.

As a purely mathematical exercise, lets assume that Kop sections 104, 105 and 106 were dedicated to Safe standing.

I'm guessing that these account for about 3500 seats (give or take).

At safe-standing sizes, this area would accommodate 3150 safe-standing SEATS (because they take up more space). A reduction of 350 seats.
BUT when the seats are locked up for STANDING, this are now accommodates 6300 (an INCREASE capacity of 2800!).

Now someone with knowledge of current ticket prices can tell us how much a ticket in the 'safe-standing' area would be