Author Topic: An interesting (but biased) article from Spain!  (Read 1937 times)

Offline laddo

• Forum Perv
  • Legacy Fan
An interesting (but biased) article from Spain!
« on: March 18, 2002, 12:42:51 am »
Just recieved the following email from a visitor to ThisIsAnfield, anyone read this article before? What's your views??

Apparently carragher has been playing centre midfield? Anyone else know this or just the journo who wrote it?

I'm sending you my translation of an article that appeared in El Pais, Spain's leading daily newspaper, before the match with Barcelona. I find certain of the comments extremely insulting to Liverpool fans and the players (particularly the line "until death us do part" at the end).  

The telephone number of El Pais in Madrid is 91-337-82-00, fax: 91-304-87-66. Their e-mail address is CartasDirector@elpais.es

Best wishes, leon

Article:

Liverpool and the Doctrine of Single Thought

John Carlin

The English club’s main aim, rather than playing, is to stop their opponents from playing.

Liverpool are a serious candidate for the English league title, but working against them is the fact that most of their remaining matches are at home. At Anfield, this Liverpool’s players lose their way. Away from home, things become clearer for them. Tonight, therefore, it would be wise for Barcelona not to read too much into that victory in England in November.

Because, even though Liverpool have to win in the Camp Nou to stay in the Champions League, they won’t change their plan. Not because they wouldn’t like to, but because they are unable. Counterattacking is to Liverpool, what Catholicism is to the Pope or communism to the North Korean leader Kim Jong II: the single thought doctrine.  

The statistics are revealing. In the English league, Liverpool are third after 30 games, two points behind Manchester United. Liverpool have made far more tackles than any other team in the Premier League: 944 (compared with Manchester United’s 809); they have had 332 shots on goal, the same number as Ipswich (who are one place above the relegation zone) and 108 fewer than Manchester; of their 59 points, 33 have been won away from home; of the 50 goals scored in the season to date, only 19 have come at Anfield, where they have won 7 games, 3 fewer than away from home. All this offers scientific proof that Liverpool are more comfortable and get better results when their opponents take the initiative instead of defending. The main objective of the team is not to play, but rather to prevent their opponents from playing.    

A look at the players that have played most in the Liverpool team this season shows the asphyxiating ideological stance adopted by Phil Thompson, who took over as temporary manager after Gerard Houllier’s illness.  

Dudek, the Polish goalkeeper, has perhaps been the best player this season. The four defenders – Riise, Hypia, Henchoz, Abel Xavier – are from Norway, Finland, Switzerland and Portugal. Hypia and Henchoz, the two centrebacks, are the lynchpins, according to Thompson himself, whose philosophy can be summed up in the single sentence: “If your two centrebacks are on form, it doesn’t matter if the rest of the team is having a nightmare, because you’ll manage a draw”.  

To be on the safe side, Thompson puts another defensive line of four in the area where other teams tend to have midfielders. Carragher, a rugged but clumsy right back, has been awarded a place in the midfield since Xavier arrived from Everton. Playing alongside him is the German Hamman,  who now applies more thoroughly than ever the lessons handed down by his previous manager at Bayern Munich, the mathematician Ottmar Hitzfeld. Murphy is more an English soldier than a footballer. Gerrard, another soldier aspiring to promotion to general, has yet to prove to be anything other than a bright hope for the future. As for Liverpool’s two usual forwards, only one is scoring goals: Owen, who won’t be playing tonight because of injury. Anelka won’t be playing either, having already played for Paris Saint Germain before coming on loan to Liverpool. Their place tonight will be filled by Litmanen, whose penetrating intelligence and sharp technique have condemned him to start only nine games this season. The other forward, Heskey, is a defender operating in disguise in enemy territory.

In Spain the fans of a historic club, four times winner of the European Cup, would not tolerate a team playing such football. The love of the Liverpool fan, however, is as simple and unconditional as that of a German shepherd. “You’ll never walk alone” goes the anthem: “You’ll never walk alone; we’ll always worship you, until death us do part”.

hmmmmmmmmm
:wanker:

Offline Steve C

• Gone... but not forgotten - I hope some day you will join us
  • Legacy Fan
Re: An interesting (but biased) article from Spain
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2002, 12:58:17 am »
Sounds like some of our fans earlier in the season to be honest.....
« Last Edit: January 1, 1970, 01:00:00 am by 1017961200 »

Offline laddo

• Forum Perv
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2002, 01:12:52 am »
Sounds like some of our fans earlier in the season to be honest.....

true, like I said to someone ealier who was moaning we arent entertaining enough - id settle for winning 1-0 every week and winning the league rather than playing in an entertaining draw or defeat.

Offline Aidan_B

• Trust me, I am a doctor. HJC Champions - Nov 2003
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gone, perhaps forgotten
    • EnviroBuild
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2002, 11:19:53 am »

Article:

In Spain the fans of a historic club, four times winner of the European Cup, would not tolerate a team playing such football. The love of the Liverpool fan, however, is as simple and unconditional as that of a German shepherd. “You’ll never walk alone” goes the anthem: “You’ll never walk alone; we’ll always worship you, until death us do part”.

quote]

To be honest, I take this as something of a compliment.  You can just imagine Barca winning the league, but Real scoring more goals so the board sack the Barca manager.  The way that Barca fans get on the back of Rivaldo because he doesn't happen to be playing as well as the best player in the World.  Makes me laugh, but also think of some problems closer to home  :but: :but:

Offline Andy

• short fingered vulgarian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent.
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2002, 12:19:59 pm »
was some of it meant in irony?

didn't understand the implications of the nationality of our defenders ...portugal are known as an attcking side. also, IF riise plays at left back, he is better going forward than defending.

we play solid football, we are 3rd in the league, still in with a shout for qualifying to CL quarters, therefore i am happy.

bye bye barca  :wave: (hopefully)

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2002, 12:45:45 pm »
It's apparent that the author knows little about us and just dig up the statistics or points - with some being taken out of context (i.e. Thommo's quotes)- that suits him.

Granted, there is some truth in some of the statistics and points.  There's no denying that we are more used to absorbing pressure with swift attack and at Anfield we have difficulty to break down teams - for now.  We have are areas to improve.  But we play the way that suits us and the author can dislike it for all his worth.

What makes my blood boil is the inherent contempt in the way our players and indeed the whole team are being described.  The purpose might only be to inflame but DISRESPECT IS DISRESPECT.  This made our performance and Thommo's post-match quotes at Nou Camp even sweeter!  (Thommo's handling of all these b***s*** is nothing short of examplar!)

We must really be frustrating them (or are the Spanish media and players always so "cheap"?).  This is, certainly, a very good sign - and perhaps the more the better!!  

Offline Barrettski

• No longer stuck to a goat or anything else with a beard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A teenage dream is so hard to beat
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2002, 08:54:46 pm »
Of course it would have been a lot simpler and better for the world in general had the author written:

"I don't understand football, but I think I'll slag Liverpool off anyway"

...and then fucked off for a San Miguel.

Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple - Bill Shankly.