Author Topic: Purslow  (Read 56778 times)

Offline Cid

• Licks cuban heeled shoes but doesn't want anyone to know about it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Purslow
« Reply #360 on: October 19, 2010, 06:17:21 pm »
didn't last season though did he?  Left Rafa to hang. 

I agree, after assisting the club to make one of the worst decisions in its history, he has at least had the common decency to put a shift in this season.  He's playing well.

Last season he suffered the same thing Torres is experiencing now.  We put him up the field sitting on his arse and didn't have a single centre mid capable of getting the ball to him.  He looks better this season because he has been playing deeper.

Maybe the english press should stop bringing him up every 4 seconds then.

Totally agree.  It's just an easy target for them..they've become so reliant on bashing him and they like Hodgson too much to give him the criticism he deserves...very little of our current problems are down to Rafa..he left us a strong squad.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 06:22:13 pm by Cid »

Offline SkinHimHesShite

• 80 kgs benchpressed, but are we impressed?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #361 on: October 19, 2010, 06:21:15 pm »
hes done his job (just about) and now he can fuck off, the pompous c*nt.

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #362 on: October 19, 2010, 06:22:24 pm »
Purslow was originally appointed to bring in finance, and became part time MD.His job is now done in both regards.

He was an employee working for circus masters who seem even more crazed as the dust settles. Al555's "charge sheet" is hysterical, in both senses of the word.

He was not, and is not, the man to be MD of LFC.A temporary position to explain the books and the day to day stuff till the end of the season makes sense.He will leave as neither hero, nor villain.
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #363 on: October 19, 2010, 06:23:14 pm »
What's hysterical about Al 555's post?
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline Shabby

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #364 on: October 19, 2010, 06:23:55 pm »
Why did they change whole structure of the club after the season we finished 2nd? autocatastrophic attitude.

I'd like to know exactly how it changed. Rafa has gone and left me hanging!
£15m? It seems low, but what people have to remember is that the fee is irrelevant.

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #365 on: October 19, 2010, 06:29:40 pm »
And finishing 2nd is not an achievement.

When it's our best league finish points wise in 20 fucking years it is.

Last season he suffered the same thing Torres is experiencing now.  We put him up the field sitting on his arse and didn't have a single centre mid capable of getting the ball to him.  He looks better this season because he has been playing deeper.

I disagree, the main reason he looks better this season is because he is trying a hell of a lot harder and he hasn't been carrying as many injuries.

Offline Tommy Torres

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #366 on: October 19, 2010, 06:31:33 pm »
Get rid of him. Done his job, time to leave.
There's only one Sergio Torres

Offline i_wun_bite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #367 on: October 19, 2010, 06:32:10 pm »
What's hysterical about Al 555's post?

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #368 on: October 19, 2010, 06:34:19 pm »
Rafa's gone and hopefully Roy will be gone soon too.  Then we can but hope to get someone decent in who we can all get behind and move the fuck on.
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline Neil D

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #369 on: October 19, 2010, 06:35:11 pm »
Purslow was originally appointed to bring in finance, and became part time MD.His job is now done in both regards.

He was an employee working for circus masters who seem even more crazed as the dust settles. Al555's "charge sheet" is hysterical, in both senses of the word.

He was not, and is not, the man to be MD of LFC.A temporary position to explain the books and the day to day stuff till the end of the season makes sense.He will leave as neither hero, nor villain.

Bullshit. He will leave as the villain who sacked Rafa and brought about our demise under Hodgson.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #370 on: October 19, 2010, 06:36:17 pm »
With all the pat on the backs he got last week (rightly so) for being part of the coup, I hope he is big enough to sack Roy and admit he got in wrong.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #371 on: October 19, 2010, 06:38:10 pm »
He's not qualified.

Now, on your way.
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline richmond-red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • A stranger in a strange land.
« Reply #372 on: October 19, 2010, 06:38:54 pm »
Being responsible in some part for getting rid of Rafa is bad enough, but saddling us with Hodgson is unforgiveable.  Thanks for backing Martin Broughton in getting rid of H&G, but now it's time for you to go.

Offline karrmadamaii

• Main Stander
  • I'm standing in the Main.
    • A Yard Ahead
« Reply #373 on: October 19, 2010, 06:38:56 pm »
To be extremely blunt, Rafa has had problems with authority many times in his managerial career.

At Valencia, he wanted more control than he was given. bear in mind, he had alot of success when he was in essence just a coach working under a sporting director.

He had lots of success at Valencia NOT BECAUSE of the sporting director but IN SPITE of the sporting director.

Good tactician, excellent understanding of the Spanish game, plus given the fact that he's Spanish himself he knew how to get through to the Spanish players & also the Latin contingent, good understanding of the athlete/footballers physique & physical attributes/needs from him having a P.E degree.

If he knew how to best fit the square peg into the round hole then it's his bloody credit, not the sporting director's, or the owners, or anybody else (apart from the actual player too for putting in effort himself).

You say he has problems with authority many times as if he's been sacked & told to leave as many times. He was sacked twice in the first 3 years of his career, due mainly to inexperience. He then never looked back and started to achieve success, small ones at first but bigger ones later on. Where are these documented problems with authority that you are saying?

Stop complaining about the excessive Rafa-love when you are being very implicit with your own Rafa-hate. It's the same difference.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #374 on: October 19, 2010, 06:39:49 pm »
Thing is Rafa's not to blame for our current problems directly but some of those players are his signings and havent just underperformed this season.
I dont see why he involves himself with what we are doing anyway , its easy to say those things when yer in a different country.

That truly is brilliant,

It's written off as innuendo and conspiracy theories with no substance and the work of scaremongers.

Then when the man himself speaks out and tells it as it is, your response is not I may have got some of it wrong.

Nope it's "I don't see why he involves himself with what we are doing anyway , its easy to say those things when yer in a different country".

"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Ecuared

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #375 on: October 19, 2010, 06:43:48 pm »
I have every confidence our new owners will want to bring in their own team to form the boardroom. Maybe Ian Ayre will stay on, but I find it hard to believe Purslow will stay. If he does he will have nothing to do with football operations.

Look at their hiring of Theo Epstein as GM of the Red Sox, he`s about the biggest baseball nerd going. They will hire someone who knows football inside and out.
“He was a very good customer. He was just the three bottles of semi-skimmed. They didn’t have to be placed zonally on his step or anything. He was happy to have a chat and he would always look after you at Christmas.”

Offline karrmadamaii

• Main Stander
    • A Yard Ahead
« Reply #376 on: October 19, 2010, 06:45:15 pm »
Still think its naive to just believe everything he says because he managed a team that won the CL and then the help us win the FA Cup. Im forever grateful and he seems a real nice bloke but he made some big mistakes. And finishing 2nd is not an achievement.

So you think he should be sacked then coz he didn't win the holy grail after millions of spending as per the media puts it?

How is getting the closest we've ever gotten to winning the PL for the first time, in a way that started to show that all his efforts & plans & ideas are starting to bear fruit isn't an achievement, especially when it came 1.5 years AFTER he was about to be fucked off for Jurgen Klinsman, which amusingly came barely 1 year AFTER he took HIS TEAM (for those who still believes it was Houllier's team that won in 2005) to the UCL final again, only to play better & lose?

How is that not an achievement for a club that hasn't been successful for close to 20 years before that?

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #377 on: October 19, 2010, 06:45:56 pm »
Bullshit. He will leave as the villain who sacked Rafa and brought about our demise under Hodgson.
I think you will find that it was G&H's regime which did for Rafa, not Purslow.

Furthermore the Board appointed Hodgson as a direct result of G&H's regime's incompetence.

Still personal vendetta's are more fun, aren't they?
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline karrmadamaii

• Main Stander
    • A Yard Ahead
« Reply #378 on: October 19, 2010, 06:46:34 pm »
That truly is brilliant,

It's written off as innuendo and conspiracy theories with no substance and the work of scaremongers.

Then when the man himself speaks out and tells it as it is, your response is not I may have got some of it wrong.

Nope it's "I don't see why he involves himself with what we are doing anyway , its easy to say those things when yer in a different country".

When in doubt, just shut your ears, close your eyes & block your mind.

Offline Smicer7

• Plastic Manc.
  • Kopite
« Reply #379 on: October 19, 2010, 06:48:09 pm »
If you mean when I said he has NEVER admitted to making a mistake then yes , technically I was.
So be it.
Still think its naive to just believe everything he says because he managed a team that won the CL and then the help us win the FA Cup. Im forever grateful and he seems a real nice bloke but he made some big mistakes. And finishing 2nd is not an achievement.

Finishing 2nd not an achievement? It certainly is when your club pays the 6th highest wages in the league.

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #380 on: October 19, 2010, 06:50:13 pm »

Rafa's problems with authority in Valencia brought them two league titles breaking the duopoly stranglehold of Real and Barca, a UEFA Cup, and a re-emergence at the top level of European football. They regret that he was ever let go.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Neil D

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #381 on: October 19, 2010, 06:51:21 pm »

Furthermore the Board appointed Hodgson as a direct result of G&H's regime's incompetence.

Ignore the truth if it suits your agenda mate. I'm not interested in vendettas. Purslow worked to get Rafa out, he admitted it himself to supporters, and it was he who orchestrated approaching Hodgson and pushed for him as Rafa's replacement ahead of Kenny. If you want to ignore the facts and call Rafa, a good man who loves this club, its fans and this city, a liar... then that is part of your personal vendetta, similar to the pathetic tripe you spout about Pelligrini, and up to you. But I won't believe one word of it when we all know otherwise.

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #382 on: October 19, 2010, 06:51:35 pm »

Are you trying to tell me Hicks and Gillett personally picked Hodgson to replace Rafa?

Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #383 on: October 19, 2010, 06:51:35 pm »

In as much as Purslow was an appointment of H & G you are right. No place for him now. And its not a personal vendetta.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Ipcress

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #384 on: October 19, 2010, 06:52:23 pm »
Purslow as far as I can tell, was brought in to get investment into the club: failed at that (Broughton had to be appointed to get the club sold).

He then tried to take on footballing decisions: He failed again (Hodgson's appointment the most obvious)

His biggest success seems to have been to vote against Hicks and Gillette when they didn't have the power to sack him, and thus keep the company, that paid his wages, solvent.

Heck, I can think of several million people who would have done the same thing.

Time for him to move on.

As for Rafa, he made us no.1 in Europe, above the likes of Barcelona, Real, AC, Inter, Bayern, Chelsea, Arsenal and Utd.

I am curious to see what he could do for us with proper backing.
The sort of people that seek power, are exactly the sort that should be kept away from it.

Offline karrmadamaii

• Main Stander
    • A Yard Ahead
« Reply #385 on: October 19, 2010, 06:54:33 pm »
So we are even blaming the likes of Steven Gerrard, a player who lets be fair has had a massive part in winning the FA Cup in 06 and the CL in 05 for us, under the management of Rafa.

Right.

Last time we all checked, it was Stevie's no 8 jersey on the pitch, not Rafa with his suit & red tie.

Last time we all checked, it was Stevie who was the pouting captain on the pitch, not Rafa the egomaniac manager.

Goodness. You want ppl to be fair to Stevie for playing his part in a brilliant 4 year span under Rafa, but not be fair to Rafa who was managing him at the time? When the ones who gets paid hundreds of thousands each week are the ones on the pitch playing, and not the manager?

Player power is an issue, and it is intertwined very very complicatedly (if that's even a word) with Christian Purslow role/decisions & how things have evolved over the past 18 months. If you don't want to acknowledge it because you think it's all hearsay & gossips then fine. So be it. Just keep quiet about that particular thing & go on with your life. Wait till the truth comes out and then make up your mind. If you refuse to even give it any sort of acknowledgement & still want to debate with others who acknowledges it, then realize that these very ppl might just shoot your arguments down because it's an internet forum and like you, they can express their views too.

But please stop making double standard comments like the above.

Offline Rome-77

• Head case, more like! Wtf is wrong with me?
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #386 on: October 19, 2010, 06:55:09 pm »
get the clueless purslow out of this club

Offline Diomedieocre

• Well-dressed meat 'n veg.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blow me, fuckface.
« Reply #387 on: October 19, 2010, 06:55:16 pm »

Purslow was part of the H&G regime wasnt he?. 

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #388 on: October 19, 2010, 06:58:51 pm »
Thing is Rafa's not to blame for our current problems directly but some of those players are his signings and havent just underperformed this season.
I dont see why he involves himself with what we are doing anyway , its easy to say those things when yer in a different country.

Hicks publicly cited Rafa in his "conspiracy" rant and the English press and media have been unrelenting in blaming Hodgson's abysmal performance as manager squarely at Rafa's door. He's about to play Spurs, managed by someone who said:

It’s not their fault the expensive players who have been brought in are not performing as they should be.'
Redknapp points to huge-money signings Fernando Torres and 'costly flops' like Alberto Aquilani signed by previous manager Rafa Benitez as proof that Hicks and Gillett had deep pockets and faith in their manager.

No doubt the British press were asking questions about Liverpool... but yeah...

Keep your nose out Rafa...
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline muchtyred

• Main Stander
« Reply #389 on: October 19, 2010, 06:58:55 pm »
I worry that with NESV's lack of knowledge about football, that they will keep Purslow on due to his work in helping to get rid of G&H!!  I hope and pray that they have spoken to enough people and realise that he is not the man for the job and has contributed to our current position on the park, including our recent transfer policy!!

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #390 on: October 19, 2010, 06:58:56 pm »
"The managing director is involved in all the decisions: new lawyer, new chief of press, new manager, nine new players, new medical staff, new fitness coaches – they changed everything"

Worrying as fuck.

Some one with a banking background is playing Football Manager with our fucking club, and what's worse is he's fucking useless at it.
:D

Offline Licky

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #391 on: October 19, 2010, 07:02:26 pm »
Bought in to find investment by H&G, failed, then was complicit in sacking our most successful manager for 20 years, brought in a bungler of a manager, overlooked king Kenny, only thing he's done right is vote against h&g, and that's a no brainer.

Henry should pot him right away, he's not worth a blow on a rag mans trumpet !
They have translated from Halmstads to Malmo, to Orebo to Neuchatel Xamax, to the Swiss national team, so I find the question insulting.

Offline WhiteHeat

• Legacy Fan
  • wants the traditions of LFC back.
« Reply #392 on: October 19, 2010, 07:03:05 pm »
As great a player as Gerrard is and what he's done for LFC is beyond incredible, he should not be having all this 'input' into who our manager should be, neither should Carragher.

Offline jDJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #393 on: October 19, 2010, 07:05:03 pm »
The line which depresses me is "At the beginning, they changed the managing director who was talking with some players, and they changed everything that we were doing in the past."

Going to take a strong, strong manager to sort this out.  Player power at Liverpool?  Incredible really.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #394 on: October 19, 2010, 07:07:02 pm »

So it was Gillet and Hicks who were talking to Maddocks and his ilk and running a media campaign.

Can you please explain how Hicks and Gillet did for Rafa, when they had given up any control of the Club and couldn't even remove a tea lady or a steward never mind the manager. They gave all that up when they appointed Broughton.

The board appointed Hodgson because Purslow sided with the senior players and they ran a media campaign through Maddocks, Bascombe, Durham, Winter and Collymore that resulted in Benitez going to Broughton and telling him what was happening.

Broughton simply had ZERO interest in running a football Club, he was appointed to sell a Club and that was easier with Benitez a man who had already seen off one incompetent CEO out of the way.

He laughably justified this by citing the very media that Purslow had poisoned against the manager. He then allowed Purslow to bring in the lamest of lame duck managers. The key point is that Broughton ensured that the new owners had a cooling off period to bring in a proper manager.

Hicks and Gillet had the square  root of diddly squat to do with Hodgson and never even spoke to him until after he was appointed as Manager.

As for personal vendetta's I find it absolutely laughable but not unsurprising that you choose to defend Purslow a man who still has Rafa's blood on his hands.

I would call undermining, blackening the name of a good man and then sacking him whilst he was on holiday with his family the most personal of personal vendetta's wouldn't you.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline its cold in the stands

• e e cummings
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #395 on: October 19, 2010, 07:07:45 pm »
it doesnt bother me that purslow got rid of rafa, benitez did a great job but he had lost the plot imo,6 years at this club tends to do that to managers.
where purslow`s judgement can be questioned is appointing roy hodgson as manager.

Offline shockwave_dave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #396 on: October 19, 2010, 07:08:07 pm »
Did Rafa want a new CEO/MD instead of Parry? Or was that just H&G's decision?

As for Purslow, i think he'll probably leave when NESV bring their own people in. I probably wouldn't be adverse to him staying on, solely on the business side of things away from footballing issues

Offline RedFaced

• Kemlynite
« Reply #397 on: October 19, 2010, 07:09:55 pm »
it doesnt bother me that purslow got rid of rafa, benitez did a great job but he had lost the plot imo,6 years at this club tends to do that to managers.
where purslow`s judgement can be questioned is appointing roy hodgson as manager.

Agreed.

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #398 on: October 19, 2010, 07:10:34 pm »

Why?

What did you think he was going to do?
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline Oingy Boingy

• Bisquitts
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #399 on: October 19, 2010, 07:14:31 pm »
Purslow as far as I can tell, was brought in to get investment into the club: failed at that (Broughton had to be appointed to get the club sold).

He then tried to take on footballing decisions: He failed again (Hodgson's appointment the most obvious)

His biggest success seems to have been to vote against Hicks and Gillette when they didn't have the power to sack him, and thus keep the company, that paid his wages, solvent.

Heck, I can think of several million people who would have done the same thing.

Time for him to move on.

As for Rafa, he made us no.1 in Europe, above the likes of Barcelona, Real, AC, Inter, Bayern, Chelsea, Arsenal and Utd.

I am curious to see what he could do for us with proper backing.

The Ipcress file?
Indeed...