Author Topic: European and World Champion and all round Big Man Joseph Dave Gomez  (Read 780008 times)

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
Re: Joseph Dave Gomez - Liverpools number 12
« Reply #400 on: August 18, 2015, 03:32:46 pm »
The lad really is astonishingly quick I am really struggling to think of a defender we have had with his raw pace since Hansen retired. Clyne and him give us an extra dimension defensively with their ability to come around and help the centre backs on the cover. My only concern would be the better sides targeting his natural tendency to check onto his right foot and hit square passes across the park. 
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #401 on: August 18, 2015, 03:49:26 pm »
'Easily exploited him'? I must have watched a different game, as Bournemouth hardly created anything. That shot from Ritchie which hit the post, was a first time effort from a good pass if I remember correctly, not much to do with Gomez being exploited or shaky. What else did they create? Can hardly remember a chance, certainly not anything out of the ordinary.

Sometimes I feel that players are held to an impossible standard on here, especially (defensive) midfielders and defenders for some reason. As soon as the pressing fails once or twice, or someone gets the better of a full back one time out of ten, they are soft and easy to play through. We've hardly given up anything these two games (not created much either), and it's not exactly like Mignolet has bailed us out time and time again. Our record under Rodgers perhaps makes it understandable to a certain extent, but it's strange to see the same things being said when we actually defend rather well.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #402 on: August 18, 2015, 03:50:43 pm »

Sometimes I feel that players are held to an impossible standard on here, especially (defensive) midfielders and defenders for some reason.

Just wait until he makes a genuine mistake.......
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #403 on: August 18, 2015, 09:53:09 pm »
The lad really is astonishingly quick I am really struggling to think of a defender we have had with his raw pace since Hansen retired. Clyne and him give us an extra dimension defensively with their ability to come around and help the centre backs on the cover. My only concern would be the better sides targeting his natural tendency to check onto his right foot and hit square passes across the park.
I think you're being quite harsh on him, as his passing is actually much more dynamic than you seem to be giving him credit for, even though most of them are in-field. Much more often than not he's looking to make forward passes and he very often succeeds at breaking the midfield line with his passes. In fact, based on what I've seen thus far from him in preseason and these two games I think his passing is actually braver and more dynamic than Moreno last season (or Enrique) who tended to check his run when he received the ball, and very often turned in-field for an easy short sideways or backwards pass.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #404 on: August 18, 2015, 09:54:48 pm »
This lad has been fucking excellent for a new signing given his age and lack of top flight experience.

Delighted with him, one for the future.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline canadianscraggledog

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
« Reply #405 on: August 18, 2015, 10:05:12 pm »
Would love to see him and Sakho play CB together in the cups. :)
60% of the time, it works all the time

Offline psycllone

• Main Stander
  • Neo, its about time you free your mind.
« Reply #406 on: August 18, 2015, 10:33:18 pm »
He was decent but there were times where they easily exploited him. Especially that guy called Ritchie. He'll definitely be our weak point against Arsenal.

As much as I am impressed with Joe Gomez just like everyone else is, I gotta agree with this. Ritchie was on him in the beginning of the second half, and he had some pretty uncomfortable moments dealing with him. I think he miscued the ball twice while trying to clear it. And I guess around the 70th minute Ritchie switched flanks and that's when Joe Gomez looked a bit more settled and finished the game well.

There's no denying that this kid has talent, but he's not ready yet. It would be big mistake starting him at Arsenal, Sanchez or Ramsey won't be easy to deal with.
Your intelligence is my common sense.

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #407 on: August 18, 2015, 10:36:22 pm »
But he's 18 though. So when it comes we shouldn't discard him and/or right him off.
didn't say I was/would did ?.  It was more me sending him a message than anything else. FFS
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #408 on: August 18, 2015, 11:49:12 pm »
I think he's applied himself quite well. For an 18 yr old he seems to be coping with the pace of the game, and I can't recall too many defensive errors - perhaps one or two weak clearances here and there but that's no worse than anyone else. I think he's earned his spot.

I can't see Moreno displacing him against Arsenal. I don't think Moreno actually brings much more to the side. He's not a whole lot more experienced and both players are physical, pacy and will work hard for the 90. Moreno to me always seems a bit less composed. He plays the game at 100 mile an hour and seems reckless at times. For all his energy and industry, he always seems liable to give the ball away cheaply or make a mistake. Gomez seems just that wee bit more composed, and we don't lose a whole lot in terms of attacking effectiveness.

Offline LFC_1981

• Legacy Fan
  • The Glory round Anfield Road!
« Reply #409 on: August 19, 2015, 12:20:47 am »
How assured does he like for such a young lad and playing out of position? Really impressed with his calmness. Looks like he's been playing LB for years.

Best thing about it he right footed too.

Also don't agree with Ritchie giving him a fought time, once he best him with that shot that hit the post but apart from that and a sliced clearance he did his job well, tackled, battled, showed his pace and passed it simple but with confidence.

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #410 on: August 19, 2015, 01:00:55 am »
Sometimes I feel that players are held to an impossible standard on here, especially (defensive) midfielders and defenders for some reason. As soon as the pressing fails once or twice, or someone gets the better of a full back one time out of ten, they are soft and easy to play through. We've hardly given up anything these two games (not created much either), and it's not exactly like Mignolet has bailed us out time and time again. Our record under Rodgers perhaps makes it understandable to a certain extent, but it's strange to see the same things being said when we actually defend rather well.
Preach.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #411 on: August 19, 2015, 01:20:30 am »
Player Focus: Gomez Adjusting to Premier League Football with Relative Ease
by Ben McAleer at Tuesday, Aug 18 2015 15:50

As Liverpool continued their big money recruitment drive over the summer, securing the services of Roberto Firmino and Christian Benteke for well over £50m, the signing of young Joe Gomez flew somewhat under the radar. The teenage defender showed glimpses of his potential for Charlton Athletic last season, enough for the Reds to make a move for the 18-year-old, but none expected him to secure a first team spot as quickly as he has.

Upon his arrival back in June, reports suggested that Gomez would be shipped back to the Addicks on loan in order for the London-born defender to continue his development. However, a stroke of luck meant the youngster featured at left-back in pre-season under Brendan Rodgers. Alberto Moreno was struggling for fitness and, as a result, Gomez was included in Liverpool’s travelling squad for their pre-season tour of Asia and Australia.

Fortune has allowed Gomez to be considered first choice left-back for the Merseyside outfit. His performances in the position meant Liverpool did not need to firm up their interest in Lucas Digne, who had been made available by PSG. While the Frenchman will make for a solid capture by Serie A side Roma, his arrival would only have stunted Gomez’s growth as a player. The Liverpool defender, meanwhile, has not looked back, taking to the Premier League like a duck to water. His WhoScored rating (7.20) is the second best of players under the age of 21 to feature in both Premier League games this term and the sixth best of all Liverpool players in a side that is one of four teams to maintain a 100% start to the current campaign.

Rodgers’ side are also one of three teams yet to concede a goal this term and despite Moreno’s return to first team action in Liverpool’s 1-0 win over Bournemouth on Monday night, the former Sevilla star is unlikely to usurp Gomez in the Liverpool starting XI for now. Full-backs are tasked with providing a further offensive outlet for their respective team, but Gomez is required to help solidify the backline. Fellow summer arrival Nathaniel Clyne is renowned for his attacking ability from deep and - quell surprise - has offered another dimension for his new side on the right flank.

It’s little shock to see that Liverpool attacked down the right more against Stoke (51%) and Bournemouth (41%), than the left, where the respective figures were 18% and 31%. In the first game of the season, Stoke clearly tried to exploit Gomez's inexperience, with a majority of their attacks (43%) coming down their right side. The teenager, though, dealt with the threat with relative ease. Only James Milner (4) made more tackles of Liverpool players than Gomez (3) in the 1-0 win at the Britanna Stadium, while only Lovren (12) made more clearances than the summer signing (7). Try as they might, the Potters just could not break down the staunch Reds defence, with Gomez playing a key role.

Attacking isn’t Gomez’s strongest asset, tipped to onvert back to centre-back in the future, so instead Rodgers has asked he sit deeper and assist centre-backs Dejan Lovren and Martin Skrtel when Clyne bursts forward. Part of the reason for Liverpool’s leaky defence last term was the lack of defensive discipline offered to the centre-backs by Glen Johnson and Moreno, and is also why Rodgers flirted with a three-man defensive system for 18 of the Reds’ 38 league games in order to lessen the burden on the underwhelming duo.

In Gomez, though, Rodgers has himself a defender whose ability exceeds his young age. While there is still more to come from the youngster, his early season form suggests he boasts the potential to shine on Merseyside. What could be key to this is his versatility in defence. Full-backs are expected to shift across to cover for their teammates when a side attacks down the opposite flank - unless the team in question is pressing for a goal - which Gomez does to a high standard, owing to his time with Charlton last season. 7 of his 16 league starts came at the heart of the defence, so moving across the backline is not an alien demand for the highly rated starlet.

While he may not carry a potent offensive threat akin to teammate Clyne, Gomez has strengthened Liverpool’s defence at this early stage, of that there is no doubt. There is still some time to go before he can be considered the finished product, but early indications suggest he has the potential to establish himself as a first team regular for Liverpool. Much of the focus this summer came on the signings of Benteke, Firmino and Clyne, but the Reds’ addition of Gomez should not be underestimated among their impressive business this summer.

http://www.whoscored.com/Articles/qpd5vdhvleg7u55bfdmh7g/Show/Player-Focus-Gomez-Adjusting-to-Premier-League-Football-with-Relative-Ease

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #412 on: August 19, 2015, 02:27:51 am »
I wonder what kind of an offensive threat he actually would be if he played on the right.

Also, he might be more of a threat going forward if teams targeted his side less. When they figure out that his side will not be a weakness to exploit, he'll get more chances to go forward.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #413 on: August 19, 2015, 04:10:30 am »
Overrated. I mean just look at that heat map. He has no desire whatsoever to even go anywhere near the centre of the park, never mind the right hand side of the pitch. He hasn't even been in the opposition box. For a centre half, playing left back, at 18, he should be trying to build his confidence and score in every game.

Shame.

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #414 on: August 19, 2015, 04:54:53 am »
Also, if there's ever proof required that Brendan will give ANYONE he thinks is good enough a chance, Gomez is it.

Disagree completely, but I won't bother opening that can of worms on this thread  :-X

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #415 on: August 19, 2015, 06:26:23 am »
Overrated. I mean just look at that heat map. He has no desire whatsoever to even go anywhere near the centre of the park, never mind the right hand side of the pitch. He hasn't even been in the opposition box. For a centre half, playing left back, at 18, he should be trying to build his confidence and score in every game.

Shame.
A bit harsh, its only his second game and hes barely old enough to drink. Hes not a natural fullback, his natural position is centre back and hes not used to joining the attack.
Seen us win everything

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #416 on: August 19, 2015, 07:03:14 am »
A bit harsh, its only his second game and hes barely old enough to drink. Hes not a natural fullback, his natural position is centre back and hes not used to joining the attack.

I'm fairly certain that he's taking the piss.
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #417 on: August 19, 2015, 10:02:58 am »

Christ!
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #418 on: August 19, 2015, 10:04:54 am »

:D
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline LFCDynamic

• Legacy Fan
  • To support a team in bad times shows character!
    • LFCDynamic - I Have a Question
« Reply #419 on: August 19, 2015, 10:13:52 am »
[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]
To support a team in success is easy. But, to support a team even during bad times shows real character.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #420 on: August 19, 2015, 10:36:30 am »

Offline simesy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #421 on: August 20, 2015, 10:33:14 pm »
Has looked fairly solid in both games and should keep his place for arsenal.I prefer fullbacks to be defenders first and attackers second.
When you're in the penalty area & dont know what to do with the ball, stick it in the net & we'll discuss the options later"  Bob Paisley

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #422 on: August 20, 2015, 10:40:07 pm »

Sorry mate, but I got you there :D

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Magz50

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #424 on: August 22, 2015, 12:02:24 am »
He's gonna be a fecking beast in a couple seasons. Just hoping when he does make a mistake the fans don't get on him too much.

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #425 on: August 22, 2015, 12:10:07 am »

Offline Loo Pan

• Lower Cooker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Heavy Metal Football
« Reply #426 on: August 22, 2015, 12:19:32 am »

There's no denying that this kid has talent, but he's not ready yet. It would be big mistake starting him at Arsenal, Sanchez or Ramsey won't be easy to deal with.

He's better than the alternative.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #427 on: August 22, 2015, 08:31:44 pm »
Surely we wait until he has a rough patch before bringing Moreno back in at LB, instead of assuming it'll happen beforehand?

Not like Moreno has a history of being much more solid than Gomez has been so far. Would like Moreno to show good enough form to reclaim that place though for the attacking focus, I think he has enough about him to be a very good player for us. As it stands though, Gomez is playing very well, and the future is bright for him and us, whether that be at leftback or centreback. Or rightback if Clyne is out for whatever reason.

Big game for him and Lovren on Monday, expect they'll be targetted, and Gomez will have a lot to keep a lid on with Bellerin constantly overlapping as well as the usual threats.

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #428 on: August 22, 2015, 10:30:24 pm »
Sorry mate, but I got you there :D
Hahahahaha f*ckin hell didnt even notice it.
Seen us win everything

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #429 on: August 22, 2015, 10:33:52 pm »
Whoever sits in front of this lad, will probably determine how good a game he has.

A great future, but the hear and now says give him support. Good job Lovren is on his inside................................
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline kingz

• Anny Roader
« Reply #430 on: August 23, 2015, 01:07:20 am »
Love him and I think he will be great against Arsenal. He is more composed than Skrtel and Lovren combined.

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #431 on: August 23, 2015, 03:55:18 am »
Whoever sits in front of this lad, will probably determine how good a game he has.

A great future, but the hear and now says give him support. Good job Lovren is on his inside................................

Hopefully we stick Moreno there. Funnily enough, even though he's 18, he looks more composed in a sticky defensive situation than either of our center halves who have fits and clear the ball 700 yards right above their own heads, only for it to fall 3 feet away from where they were stood in the first place.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #432 on: August 23, 2015, 04:06:56 am »

Illori is a fair bit quicker. But, generally you're right in general about his overall physicality. That said, I think you're being very harsh on his ability on the ball. He does have the ability to carry it forward, but he's clearly no full back and seems to be cutting his teeth there more than anything. He's far more comfortable on the ball than we've seen thus far, what with him being targeted by two teams in a row so far. Given a bit more breathing space and as he settles into first team life a bit more, I fully expect to see that side of his talent to flourish again.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline kenworthy

• but Deirdre isn't
  • Legacy Fan
  • He hits them from 40 yards...
« Reply #433 on: August 23, 2015, 06:31:22 am »
This lad had all the tools at 18. Remarkable. He will be truly tested Monday against Arsenal. Looking forward to seeing how he copes.
★      ★      ★      ★      ★
77     78     81     84     05
               YNWA

Offline dogeibbor

• Anny Roader
  • He wants to come
« Reply #434 on: August 23, 2015, 06:39:42 am »

It’s little shock to see that Liverpool attacked down the right more against Stoke (51%) and Bournemouth (41%), than the left, where the respective figures were 18% and 31%....

That is quite interessting and means he and Lovren have been under fire for the two first games (and done quite well). I wonder if Arsenal will do the same or if they feel they are strong enough to play their own game.

Offline Bud P Austin

• The Hindu Hansen
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #435 on: August 24, 2015, 11:26:37 am »
Illori is a fair bit quicker.

I recall Gomez making a sprint to recover the ball vs Bournemouth that made me gasp in astonishment. His leg speed was phenomenal. It looked like what you'd expect in a side view of a 100m final.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #436 on: August 24, 2015, 11:36:21 am »
That is quite interessting and means he and Lovren have been under fire for the two first games (and done quite well). I wonder if Arsenal will do the same or if they feel they are strong enough to play their own game.
Those are OUR attacking stats, not our opponents'.

The stats for our opponents are probably quite similar though.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #437 on: August 24, 2015, 02:19:35 pm »
I recall Gomez making a sprint to recover the ball vs Bournemouth that made me gasp in astonishment. His leg speed was phenomenal. It looked like what you'd expect in a side view of a 100m final.

I see that and raise you Illori breaking Ronaldo's sprinting records at Sporting. :D

Seriously though, he is extremely fast is Gomez. But Illori is even quicker.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #438 on: August 24, 2015, 09:53:57 pm »
Fuck me this lad is special.

Playing out of position, on the wrong side, at 18, 3rd game for the club, at the Emirates and he puts in a performance like that

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #439 on: August 24, 2015, 09:55:12 pm »
Plays like a veteran.
AHA!