Author Topic: Non-football events at Anfield  (Read 70388 times)

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Non-football events at Anfield
« on: June 7, 2018, 11:53:29 am »
Liverpool ask City Council for permission to host concerts

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/11397278/liverpool-ask-city-council-for-permission-to-host-concerts

Liverpool have submitted two applications to Liverpool City Council allowing them to host a range of concerts and non-football sporting events at Anfield.

The club hope the two applications will make the stadium "a year-round destination by offering more cultural and sporting events to supporters and those visiting the area."

Events could include boxing, GAA, American Football or music concerts, and fit with the City Council's vision to use music and sport to attract more visitors to the city.

The proposal will see an increase of up to 10 concerts or sporting events a year from May 2019, taking place mainly outside of the football season.

If approved, Liverpool will be also be permitted to screen more away fixtures and international games, similar to the beam-backs seen in the Champions League, where a sell-out 30,000 watched the final on large video screens.

Liverpool Chief Operating Officer, Andy Hughes, said: "The plans we are bringing forward would provide the city's residents with increased entertainment opportunities for music and sporting events whilst at the same time supporting Liverpool's vision to attract more visitors to the city.

"Our proposals not only support the city's ambitions, but showcase Anfield as a destination and will support local businesses and jobs in the area."

Anfield has previously hosted non-football events, such as the Paul McCartney 2008 European City of Culture concert, the 2016 Four Nations Rugby League Final, and could see a further variety of events such as boxing matches take place.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Plans for non-football events at Anfield
« Reply #1 on: June 7, 2018, 12:11:44 pm »
If approved, Liverpool will be also be permitted to screen more away fixtures and international games, similar to the beam-backs seen in the Champions League, where a sell-out 30,000 watched the final on large video screens.

That would be a great idea and the plans overall would probably bring in a lot of money for the club and the local area as well.
« Last Edit: June 7, 2018, 12:14:18 pm by sms1986 »

Offline WidnesJon

• Sworn enemy of RuncornPaul
  • Main Stander
  • Kemlyn Hughes
« Reply #2 on: June 7, 2018, 12:20:18 pm »
Interested at the mention of American Football - the standard NFL pitch is 120 yards long - I didn't think Anfield was that long.

Cheers
Jon

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3 on: June 7, 2018, 12:22:43 pm »
Interested at the mention of American Football - the standard NFL pitch is 120 yards long - I didn't think Anfield was that long.

Cheers
Jon

20 yards of that are the end zones though, so maybe there is some way for the ends to be rejigged to fit it in.

Offline WidnesJon

• Sworn enemy of RuncornPaul
  • Main Stander
  • Kemlyn Hughes
« Reply #4 on: June 7, 2018, 12:30:17 pm »
20 yards of that are the end zones though, so maybe there is some way for the ends to be rejigged to fit it in.

You'd probably need some run-off space at the back of the endzone too, but I'm sure people much more experienced than me have worked it all out and think it's a go-er...so as long as the Broncos turn up I'd be more than happy!!

Cheers
Jon

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #5 on: June 7, 2018, 12:31:28 pm »
So this might be what’s holding up the Anfield road plans? Designing it to adapt for multiple purpose use?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #6 on: June 7, 2018, 12:34:31 pm »
So this might be what’s holding up the Anfield road plans? Designing it to adapt for multiple purpose use?

I imagine it's part of the thinking at least, which makes sense as an extra 10 events a year could add what, £10-15m income maybe?

Offline BaZ87

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7 on: June 7, 2018, 01:05:04 pm »
I imagine it's part of the thinking at least, which makes sense as an extra 10 events a year could add what, £10-15m income maybe?

Below is a link to an interview Peter Moores gave to FC Business a few weeks back where he confirms this very thing. Talking about the Annie Road expansion he goes on to say that work needs to be carried out to make Anfield more suitable for holding other non-football events:

https://cloud.3dissue.com/6374/7271/131371/fcbusiness109/index.html?r=85

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #8 on: June 7, 2018, 01:23:36 pm »
Is a retractable pitch a wild idea?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #9 on: June 7, 2018, 01:27:01 pm »

Less so than a worm hole named after our ex-CEO.

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: June 7, 2018, 01:30:01 pm »
Any additional revenue is good business, just as long as those meddling kids at concerts don't start digging up the pitch or something.
YNWA.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: June 7, 2018, 01:33:07 pm »
Any additional revenue is good business, just as long as those meddling kids at concerts don't start digging up the pitch or something.

Does that happen at other football stadiums where they hold concerts? I assume they place temporary covers over it anyway.

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: June 7, 2018, 01:40:17 pm »
Does that happen at other football stadiums where they hold concerts? I assume they place temporary covers over it anyway.

I wasn't that serious, although it would be great if the sprinkles went off mid-concert.
YNWA.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #13 on: June 7, 2018, 01:40:54 pm »
Less so than a worm hole named after our ex-CEO.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Maldini

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: June 7, 2018, 10:57:44 pm »
The pitch is 40m too short and 20m too narrow for Gaelic football

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: June 8, 2018, 08:17:54 am »

That’s not happening then! Can see us eeking out a bit with the Annie road but not 40m ;D

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #16 on: June 8, 2018, 08:25:23 am »
A bit like when Everton used to play there?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #17 on: June 8, 2018, 08:35:56 am »

It’s also too dry for swimming.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2018, 08:22:49 pm »

Saw Guns N Roses at Wembley and Maine Road in the 90's, they do lay a temporary floor across the whole pitch. Don't know what went wrong after the Stones played Old Trafford last week, because the pitch was fucked for the soccer aid game, you could clearly see the shapes left by the temp flooring. They may not have been as careful as usual, as there have been cranes visible inside the ground for a few weeks now, so they may be relaying the pitch anyway.

Be good for the club and the area if this goes ahead, you'd be looking at 60,000 or more per gig. The Etihad has seen Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift play there in the last few weeks, with Jay Z and Beyonce on this week or next.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
Anfield use close season for concerts and other sports
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2018, 04:09:54 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-45257725

Forgive me if this has been posted elsewhere or there is an existing thread. Feel free to move mods.

I can understand both sides of the debate and it must be a pain for local residents throughout the season. I enjoy the delights of the school holidays when travelling to work with much quieter roads etc. No doubt additional income for the club, and by proxy the local community, when concerts etc are on is a good thing, but it can`t be easy for local residents even during the season so I understand their opposition. Also, I have never been a fan of anything other than football taking place on the pitch, even during the summer, in case it causes unnecessary damage. Not sure what the answer is, or what the outcome will be.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Anfield use close season for concerts and other sports
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2018, 05:27:48 pm »
No brainier from a business point of view

Technology as such now the pitch would be fine

If approved I suspect any anfield Road end development would be designed to make stage installation very  straightforward

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2018, 06:26:55 pm »
Fantastic for the club, the area and the City, however I can see the local residents issues with it though. I work with someone who lives across the road from the Etihad and while she is a bit of a moaner at times, I understand why she gets pissed off when a concert is held there, with the noise and cars parking everywhere. The Old Trafford cricket ground is about 200 yds from our offices and when the Foo Fighters were there last year, after about 3 hours of sound checks from about 11am, everyone was totally fucked off with the noise.

I imagine there will be a curfew on the events, with the concerts being early starts. I went to see Guns N Roses at Maine Road in the early 90's and that was supposed to finish by 7pm, a Rock band that close to houses cannot be a nice experience if you are not into the music.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline richmiller1

• No! We will not let you go, let him go!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2018, 06:26:58 pm »
I'd missed this completely. Interesting.

I'm slightly surprised they see there being sufficient long term demand to warrant going down this route. We aren't exactly a user friendly location for late night gigs and events.

As noted above, it could have big implications for the road end redevelopment business case.

Events of this nature were also key to the business case of Everton's new stadium. Yes, yes, stifle that laughter. Getting there 4 (ha) years ahead and capturing a few events on a long term basis that they might have been targeting could have implications for their funding model.

Having been recommended by the planning officers this is almost certain to happen. Wonder what we have lined up.

Offline richmiller1

• No! We will not let you go, let him go!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2018, 08:16:42 pm »
Also, how could Anfield possibly host NFL? Pitch is too short surely?

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2018, 08:33:08 pm »
Also, how could Anfield possibly host NFL? Pitch is too short surely?

An NFL pitch is 120 yards including the end zone - Anfield is 110yds. I think there is just enough space behind the goals to get the extra 5 yds needed
Jurgen YNWA

Offline RedorRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2018, 11:26:17 am »
Why not provide the residents within a certain area free tickets for the events which they could either use or sell back to the club at face value?

That way they could enjoy the event or at least receive some money back for their inconvenience. Selling back to the club would help avoid the tickets getting into the hands of touts.

The outlay would be far less than the revenues generated..... I mean you could also throw in some food and drink vouchers and it still wouldn’t make a dent in the profits.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2018, 11:38:35 am »
It's not like the stadium suddenly sprung up. It's been there for over 100 years attracting huge crowds and noise to the area. I imagine the vast majority of the local residents have moved there in the last 20-30 years, after all the noise and inconvenience started happening and is no doubt partly why house prices/rents are cheaper.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2018, 07:43:16 pm »
What's the deal with everyone getting in on hosting NFL games nowadays? Chelsea's doing it, Spuds will be doing, City are doing it... dunno about United.
I imagine the NFL has gone through the whole supporter opposition against games being overseas(like our's do) so will these games be part of the NFL season or will it be during their off-season?
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2018, 09:55:42 pm »
It's not like the stadium suddenly sprung up. It's been there for over 100 years attracting huge crowds and noise to the area. I imagine the vast majority of the local residents have moved there in the last 20-30 years, after all the noise and inconvenience started happening and is no doubt partly why house prices/rents are cheaper.

Agree you cannot complain about the match day stuff, but concerts are a different proposition, as they were never part of the equation and they are a lot louder than a match and go on a lot longer.

What's the deal with everyone getting in on hosting NFL games nowadays? Chelsea's doing it, Spuds will be doing, City are doing it... dunno about United.
I imagine the NFL has gone through the whole supporter opposition against games being overseas(like our's do) so will these games be part of the NFL season or will it be during their off-season?
Money.

They are regular season NFL games. A lot of the Franchises move around, so the loyalty isn't there like we have. Over the last 5 years, the Jacksonville Jaguars and the Oakland Raiders have appeared as the home team 9 times between them - the Jaguars were formed about 18 years ago, the Raiders have moved from Oakland to LA and back to Oakland. The LA Chargers will be appearing this year, they used to be the San Diego Chargers and the Tenessse Titans used to be the Houston Oilers.. Of the famous, established big name teams, only the Miami Dolphins and the San Francisco 49ers have appeared as the home team. The New York Giants, Jets, Washington Redskins, Dallas Cowboys, Chicago Bears, New England Patriots, Denver Broncos and Philadelphia Eagles have only ever been the away team with mainly one appearance in the 11 years of playing in London. In the States, I don't think many fans go to away games, probably due to the huge distances involved. I picked the Redskins in the early 80's, they play in the NFC East, made up of the Redskins, Dallas Cowboys, NY Giants and the Eagles.

Jurgen YNWA

Offline Macred

• Main Stander
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2018, 10:08:27 pm »
The planning committee meeting takes place on 28 August. If approved expect progress on the ARE as the two are connected i.e. the design for the ARE is going to be changed to assist with hosting non football events.

Prior to the main stand planning going in, Anfield had unrestricted permission to host events, it was removed at that stage i.e they only lost the right in the last 6 years. Anfield has hosted baseball, boxing, tennis and other events over the years.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline RedPat

• Legacy Fan
  • Kenny Godglish
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2018, 05:02:38 pm »
The plans have been rejected by the council.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpools-latest-plans-anfield-stadium-15081352
Great news good result for the local residents whom the club have pissed on for years.
Kenny Godglish

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2018, 05:04:40 pm »
Would have got the go ahead if it was Goodison....

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2018, 05:29:12 pm »
I noticed the announcement after the game about litter. Then walked past a load of bins completely full down Walton Breck Road.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2018, 05:55:45 pm »
The plans have been rejected by the council.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpools-latest-plans-anfield-stadium-15081352
plans for other sporting use rejected by 4-3, plans for music concerts deferred until a later date
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline GoldenGloves25

• Kopite
  • You are a reptile, Carmichael!!
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2018, 07:17:22 pm »
Great news good result for the local residents whom the club have pissed on for years.

I agree, would hate to live by the ground if you get some dickhead lad band like The Courteeners and their dickhead fans pissing in my bins. Although, like most decisions by the council to do with the club progressing and making money, I believe its its sheerly political tit-for-tat by Fat Joes cronies.

A slave to rhythm and the fickle nature of charm.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2018, 07:37:42 am »
I agree, would hate to live by the ground if you get some dickhead lad band like The Courteeners and their dickhead fans pissing in my bins. Although, like most decisions by the council to do with the club progressing and making money, I believe its its sheerly political tit-for-tat by Fat Joes cronies.

Wrong half of the city council only interested in doing Everton's bidding and personally financing their own stadium.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2018, 03:55:25 pm »
How did Everton get permission to host the Bellew fight a few years back? Was it because it was a one-off?

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2018, 04:09:14 pm »
How did Everton get permission to host the Bellew fight a few years back? Was it because it was a one-off?

He's an Everton fan so managed to get the club to host it - http://www.skysports.com/boxing/news/12183/10244414/everton-granted-licence-to-host-may-29-boxing-event-at-goodison-park. I presume it was also because it was a one off.

Offline roots99

• Main Stander
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2018, 08:20:31 pm »
Anyone noticed in the Echo articles about this the asides about the Rd End are saying the build will be £40-50m whereas before it was always £60-70m?
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in." - Bill Shankly