Author Topic: Michael Owen  (Read 351672 times)

Offline EnfieldRed

• Main Stander
  • Where's the beef?
Re: Michael Owen
« Reply #2800 on: February 6, 2020, 06:09:07 pm »
Started listening to the podcast this afternoon. He was a kid when he left so I feel I shouldn’t judge him too harshly. Players also want to win trophies.

Joining Man United was his choice too and I don’t have ill will towards him, didn’t at the time.

But he should understand that most fans won’t want him to act as an ambassador for the club - bridges were burnt. It just so happens that most matches shown in the UK involve LFC so it’s a lucrative gig to be a ‘Legend’.

Imagine Coutinho going to United then calling LFC “we”.

Offline Roughie Scouse

• Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #2801 on: February 6, 2020, 06:36:27 pm »
He always comes across so arrogant with an inflated opinion of himself. He tries so obviously hard to create an image of himself that just doesn't seem to correlate with reality. I never think of him fondly but equally I respect the trophies he won for his. I would never boo him or give him shite but he must understand that he burnt the bridges. In the podcast today, he had no response when Carra said that he isn't loved by any of the clubs he played for. Sad really, I think if he had his time again he would do it differently.
"There are places I'll remember all my life"  The Beatles,  ISTANBUL 2005

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2802 on: February 6, 2020, 07:57:55 pm »
I remember an interview with Owen a few years back where he blamed Houllier/LFC for overplaying him when he was younger for his injuries. Ignoring the fact that he'd throw a wobbler when he was ever left out the side. That's what I mean about rewriting history a bit. Now he's finished playing and he wants in on the ex-Liverpool circuit and trying to get the fans back.
His issue was that Houllier was getting him to play when he was injured and that those injuries were exacerbated as a result, not that he wasn't being rested when he was fit. The notion he was permanently crocked in 2009 isn't exactly right either. He was a one-in-three striker even in his last season at Newcastle, and he played as many games in each of those last two seasons as Sturridge did in any of his seasons with us. I do get the feeling he loves the club deep down, but that he really loved playing in general and sees rivalries like the United one as silly.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #2803 on: February 6, 2020, 07:58:04 pm »
An Excellent podcast

Really enjoyed it

If you still hate him it's best you let it go, get off your high horse and give it a listen.
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2804 on: February 6, 2020, 08:16:25 pm »
An Excellent podcast

Really enjoyed it

If you still hate him it's best you let it go, get off your high horse and give it a listen.

I agree, was an brilliant player for us as well, a genuine phenomenon at 17 and gave us some great memories, that FA Cup final is up there as one of my favourites of all time.

On a completely unrelated note, if anyone ever picked him in a European Cup Champions and UEFA Cup Champions Draft, for example, I'd definitely vote for them.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #2805 on: February 6, 2020, 10:05:23 pm »
I agree, was an brilliant player for us as well, a genuine phenomenon at 17 and gave us some great memories, that FA Cup final is up there as one of my favourites of all time.

On a completely unrelated note, if anyone ever picked him in a European Cup Champions and UEFA Cup Champions Draft, for example, I'd definitely vote for them.

Shameless.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2806 on: February 6, 2020, 10:25:26 pm »
Can even forgive him that. Remember him saying he was looking to join Liverpool around then too but we weren't interested anymore

Think Utd had just won 3 titles on the spin, and had played in consecutive European Cup finals. Can't really blame him for taking the chance having just played for newly-relegated Newcastle

There are things that a Liverpool player should never do and joining the Mancs is top of that list.

Did you root for him whilst he was there ?
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #2807 on: February 6, 2020, 10:59:15 pm »
Pretty much. He's talked in the past about the later stages of his career and how he was basically unable to follow his instincts on the pitch because he knew his hamstrings couldn't handle sprinting, and so he just ended up standing around in games. I can understand him going to united in that context, he knew he was crocked and so taking millions in wages from them while sitting on the bench isn't the worst thing, but he also says he would've preferred to sign for us, knowing he was crocked and unable to contribute.

He was obviously way past his best after his injury at Newcastle, but I'd rather have had him as back-up to Torres than Robbie Keane or Ngog. One thing his injuries did result in was his link play improving, and I think playing for Liverpool would have got an extra 10-20% out of him given the massive point he would have had to prove at the club closest to his heart.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #2808 on: February 7, 2020, 07:51:32 am »
I just listened to the podcast and it was interesting listening. I have always found the attitude of some of our fans towards Michael strange. Even when he was a young kid, there was an almost reluctance from some fans to acknowledge his talent. Some people seemed to always be downplaying him in some way or another. That was something I found kind of sad. It was interesting how he spoke about himself from an early age. The fact that he was prepared to think about how good he was appears to be a problem for some people. It's not something I could ever think, but that's not to say its wrong. It's about having a strong character and knowing what it is you want. I just think he was an ambitious players right from the start and he knew exactly what he wanted. That lined with his image, was something that would put off some people I suppose. But ultimately you cannot dispute his talent and how good he was, anyone who does is just being spiteful. Players have to make choices in their career, some fans seem to want them to behave like fans, but sometimes situations arise that make that impossible. The fact is Rafa didn't want him, so what choice was there other than to go somewhere else? I don't think even if he had gone back to Liverpool, he would have been better thought of by those people, who never took to him. He was on a hiding to nothing whatever choice he made by then.

"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #2809 on: February 7, 2020, 08:49:45 am »
I’m similar when it comes to Owen, Jill. I was at Selhurst Pk to witness his debut off the subs bench and will never forget seeing that sudden turn of speed and then watching him score and thinking aye aye, he’s going to be something special. Then going full circle I was at Anfield when he was given dogs abuse during his first game back and I felt a bit sad for him. I completely get it and understand why, but I didn’t join in. Just a personal choice and I’d never have a go at anyone booing him (to be fair it was far more lighthearted in the recent legends game apparently, which is good to know). Still, there will be those that never forgive him going to Madrid and then wearing ‘that’ shirt. And fair enough as I say. 100% get it.  But I personally prefer to remember that he banged in 158 goals for us, some achievement that but still never makes a best XI (and not mine either to be fair).

Funnily enough, of all the goals he scored (except in Cardiff v Arsenal, that moment tops the lot for me, nearly fell over the top tier!) the one I think I celebrated most was his England goal v Argentina. I’m not an England fan by any stretch of the imagination, and I had a broken leg in plaster at the time, but i wanted him to do well so badly that when he went on that run then slotted it back across the keeper I forgot my leg and jumped off the couch and nearly shot through the ceiling. I think I ended up outside before the pain kicked in!

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2810 on: February 7, 2020, 08:55:13 am »
There are things that a Liverpool player should never do and joining the Mancs is top of that list.

Did you root for him whilst he was there ?

Reading the scum on your holidays in Portugal is another. He's a c*nt.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2811 on: February 7, 2020, 09:00:55 am »
:( didn’t know that, unforgivable.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2812 on: February 7, 2020, 09:06:21 am »
never heard about this

link?

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2813 on: February 7, 2020, 09:14:45 am »
never heard about this

link?

Don't have a link. Saw it with my own eyes. I posted about it at the time somewhere on this forum.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2814 on: February 7, 2020, 09:15:53 am »
Don't have a link. Saw it with my own eyes. I posted about it at the time somewhere on this forum.
thats a shame

nothing worse than seeing someone Liverpool related reading that

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2815 on: February 7, 2020, 10:30:39 am »
He needs to stop whining. Seriously he is just so self unaware and doesn’t realise how privileged he is compared to virtually everyone else. He cries over ultra ultra first world problems. He will never be idolised because he never really endeared himself to supporters on a human level when he played for us, left us in a bad place and hurt the club status when he joined RM, never fought hard enough to rejoin us (seemed to have enough fight when it came to leaving us), and joining Man Utd was just fucking treachery.

Now the club is riding high and there is an opportunity to rewrite the past with a new generation of supporters that didn’t live through his Real Madrid, Newcastle and Man Utd times, he is trying to garner sympathy (being the self serving professional that he is).

We all acknowledge his achievements while playing for us and for that alone, he will always be afforded a welcome by most. He doesn’t bother me now and I’m completely neutral. But idolising by Liverpool supporters? No fucking chance. Just ain’t gonna happpen Mikey, so quit whining and get over it.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Roughie Scouse

• Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #2816 on: February 7, 2020, 11:32:29 am »
He needs to stop whining. Seriously he is just so self unaware and doesn’t realise how privileged he is compared to virtually everyone else. He cries over ultra ultra first world problems. He will never be idolised because he never really endeared himself to supporters on a human level when he played for us, left us in a bad place and hurt the club status when he joined RM, never fought hard enough to rejoin us (seemed to have enough fight when it came to leaving us), and joining Man Utd was just fucking treachery.

Now the club is riding high and there is an opportunity to rewrite the past with a new generation of supporters that didn’t live through his Real Madrid, Newcastle and Man Utd times, he is trying to garner sympathy (being the self serving professional that he is).

We all acknowledge his achievements while playing for us and for that alone, he will always be afforded a welcome by most. He doesn’t bother me now and I’m completely neutral. But idolising by Liverpool supporters? No fucking chance. Just ain’t gonna happpen Mikey, so quit whining and get over it.
well said
"There are places I'll remember all my life"  The Beatles,  ISTANBUL 2005

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2817 on: February 7, 2020, 11:43:52 am »
well said
Yep, Keith’s probably nailed how the vast majority think of him.

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2818 on: February 7, 2020, 12:21:56 pm »
I just listened to the podcast and it was interesting listening. I have always found the attitude of some of our fans towards Michael strange. Even when he was a young kid, there was an almost reluctance from some fans to acknowledge his talent. Some people seemed to always be downplaying him in some way or another. That was something I found kind of sad. It was interesting how he spoke about himself from an early age. The fact that he was prepared to think about how good he was appears to be a problem for some people. It's not something I could ever think, but that's not to say its wrong. It's about having a strong character and knowing what it is you want. I just think he was an ambitious players right from the start and he knew exactly what he wanted. That lined with his image, was something that would put off some people I suppose. But ultimately you cannot dispute his talent and how good he was, anyone who does is just being spiteful. Players have to make choices in their career, some fans seem to want them to behave like fans, but sometimes situations arise that make that impossible. The fact is Rafa didn't want him, so what choice was there other than to go somewhere else? I don't think even if he had gone back to Liverpool, he would have been better thought of by those people, who never took to him. He was on a hiding to nothing whatever choice he made by then.

I know we dont see eye to eye on this Jill, you are correct he was never taken to the hearts of most fans, maybe they had a sixth sense.
I dont care he went to United, he probably thought he has no reputation with Liverpool fans to uphold so he had nothing to lose.

He isnt a very nice person.  As a school kid he would constantly belittle teammates. His England career always came before the club that made him a muliti millionaire. He acted like a twat to a builder who was a friend of the family that resulted in suicide.  (That wasnt the sole cause obviously) 

As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Santiago

• Main Stander
  • Yeeeessss!!!
« Reply #2819 on: February 7, 2020, 03:30:03 pm »

I know we dont see eye to eye on this Jill, you are correct he was never taken to the hearts of most fans, maybe they had a sixth sense.
I dont care he went to United, he probably thought he has no reputation with Liverpool fans to uphold so he had nothing to lose.

He isnt a very nice person.  As a school kid he would constantly belittle teammates. His England career always came before the club that made him a muliti millionaire. He acted like a twat to a builder who was a friend of the family that resulted in suicide.  (That wasnt the sole cause obviously) 

For me, and i'll be honest, I never took to him, 'ever' because he wasn't Fowler!!.  Unfair probably, but thats where i am

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2820 on: February 7, 2020, 06:12:23 pm »

Good post that mate. Id rather him having nothing to do with us and his ambassador role is a joke, a lot more former players should be ahead of him.
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline vladis voice

• Main Stander
« Reply #2821 on: February 7, 2020, 06:31:15 pm »
For me, and i'll be honest, I never took to him, 'ever' because he wasn't Fowler!!.  Unfair probably, but thats where i am

This...Owen came across as an ultra ambitous professional from somewhere near Chester who wanted to be a world star, who he played for seemed secondsry to him (dont get me wrong he was very fucking good like)  Fowler as a proper scouse lad who saw playing for us as the priviledge it is. At the time it almost felt disloyal to warm to Owen

Appreciate this isnt exactly a fair position to take but thats how it felt to a teenage me
« Last Edit: February 7, 2020, 06:33:17 pm by vladis voice »

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #2822 on: February 7, 2020, 07:21:27 pm »
The perception with Owen was he was always more bothered about England than Liverpool and that was his priority.

I wouldn't say fans didn't like him though, they just never really loved him. Fans loved him as a player but never really took to him as a lad and one of their own like they did Fowler or Gerrard. I can barely remember his name belted out in song and he never really got that signature tune that all Liverpool greats get.

to be honest though it can be difficult for non-Scouse English players to be really accepted or loved. Look at Jordan Henderson and what he's had to achieve to finally be widely revered. A lot of our legends are Scots, Welsh or foreign.
« Last Edit: February 7, 2020, 07:26:38 pm by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2823 on: February 7, 2020, 08:03:26 pm »
He sorted tickets for my nephew’s first time at Anfield last season, so he can be sound. I mean, he is sound as a person. Re football, he was super ambitious and it was never really about the club. He still supports us though. He just doesn’t out emotion before his choices.
« Last Edit: February 7, 2020, 08:05:09 pm by Peabee »
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #2824 on: February 7, 2020, 08:08:49 pm »
The perception with Owen was he was always more bothered about England than Liverpool and that was his priority.

Perception with absolutely no facts to back it up.

Owen's recollection in that Carragher interview about how Houllier acted around his serious injury is quite something, worlds apart from the professionalism we are seeing today with Klopp fortunately.
« Last Edit: February 7, 2020, 08:22:08 pm by Bjornar »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2825 on: February 7, 2020, 08:10:47 pm »

I wouldn't say fans didn't like him though, they just never really loved him. Fans loved him as a player but never really took to him as a lad and one of their own like they did Fowler or Gerrard. I can barely remember his name belted out in song and he never really got that signature tune that all Liverpool greats get.

to be honest though it can be difficult for non-Scouse English players to be really accepted or loved. Look at Jordan Henderson and what he's had to achieve to finally be widely revered. A lot of our legends are Scots, Welsh or foreign.

I never really understood this perception about him caring more about England. Steven Gerrard was passionate about playing for England, as are Jordan, Joe and Trent now. Most talented players want to represent their country in the Euro's or the World Cup, whether people like it or not (and I'd rather they didn't), to a player it means something. It's part of what being a footballer is about. Maybe people found it hard to cope with the idea of Owen coming back as the big star after the World Cup, when he scored that goal in France. I do think that affected some people, it's like they decided on the back of that, he cares more for England than Liverpool. But I never had the impression (at the time,) that he thought less about Liverpool, but that did seem to affect some people. It was clear that he had ambition though, but then so did McManaman. Maybe its not such a surprise on the back of leaving Liverpool that their popularity suffered as a result of it.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2826 on: February 7, 2020, 08:24:28 pm »

I wanted to take my time to answer this. My post was purely based on the podcast that I listened to, I'm less bothered about Michael the person, rather than the footballer, and his career at Liverpool. At the end of the day I appreciate, that you have a personal issue with him. That is entirely your business and I don't think whether we see eye to eye on Michael as a person is that important, in the grand scheme of things. I am very sad about the person you mentioned, but again I don't know enough about that tragic situation to judge. I will be bold and say I never took to Suarez the man.I know he was a fantastic player and everything, but there were always something about him that I found hard to like. But that's not going to stop the people who love him, defend him endlessly on every little incident whether it's right or not to

Anyway, lets leave it there.  :wave

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2827 on: February 7, 2020, 08:31:00 pm »
Perception with absolutely no facts to back it up.

Owen's recollection in that Carragher interview about how Houllier acted around his serious injury is quite something, worlds apart from the professionalism we are seeing today with Klopp fortunately.

Houllier was a funny one at times. He was the right man at the right time in terms of bringing in discipline and order with Thompson after the spice boy 90s (Gerrard, Owen and Carra were big beneficiaries of that as they were just starting off their LFC careers).  Fowler was probably too far gone in terms of being used to the old culture and never hit it off with Houllier.

Houllier and Rafa were great for us (certainly initially if not towards the end) but they had their faults and their man-management didn't always go down well. Klopp has been near enough faultless.
« Last Edit: February 7, 2020, 08:32:44 pm by Fromola »

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2828 on: February 7, 2020, 09:36:25 pm »
The fact that Houllier was rushing him for a pre-season friendly speaks volumes. Imo, had he handled [Houllier] Owen better, owen would have had a longer career and we would have reaped the rewards for it.

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #2829 on: February 7, 2020, 09:44:47 pm »
Owen was a wasted world-class talent who should have had the difficult decisions taken out of his hands much more as a young man (by Evans as well as Houllier, to be fair) rather than being blamed for getting them wrong. Today we have a professional setup that would never have allowed a once in a generation talent to end up as a cautionary tale, which for me puts into perspective the shouts that the player (who was a model pro trying his hardest by all accounts), rather than how he was mismanaged, was to blame.
« Last Edit: February 7, 2020, 09:48:08 pm by Bjornar »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2830 on: February 7, 2020, 09:58:46 pm »

Bullshit,as you then went on to say (in a roundabout way),nationality has nothing to do with it.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2831 on: February 8, 2020, 06:59:30 am »

Bullshit,as you then went on to say (in a roundabout way),nationality has nothing to do with it.

It's just my own theory, but I think it goes back to the early 90s when the three foreigner rule came in and we had to replace a load of  non-English players with English players and ended up with the likes of Julian Dicks. Then you had the likes of Neil Ruddock, David James, Collymore and Phil Babb. Even Jamie Redknapp I don't think was ever really taken to. Then Andy Carroll, Stewart Downing, Joe Cole etc. Out the 2001  treble team Murphy, Owen and Heskey weren't loved like Sami, Paddy, Gary Mac,  Robbie, Carra or Stevie from the crowd.

It takes a lot for English players to really be accepted, loved and revered as one of our own like Jordan Henderson and Jamies Milner eventually (or Lallana to an extent) since the 90s just from my own experience. A large part is too many signings haven't worked out, but possibility a bit is psychological for how we see the rest of the country which is born out by how every other set of fans act towards us.
« Last Edit: February 8, 2020, 07:07:58 am by Fromola »

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #2832 on: February 8, 2020, 08:55:37 am »
It's just my own theory, but I think it goes back to the early 90s when the three foreigner rule came in and we had to replace a load of  non-English players with English players and ended up with the likes of Julian Dicks. Then you had the likes of Neil Ruddock, David James, Collymore and Phil Babb. Even Jamie Redknapp I don't think was ever really taken to. Then Andy Carroll, Stewart Downing, Joe Cole etc. Out the 2001  treble team Murphy, Owen and Heskey weren't loved like Sami, Paddy, Gary Mac,  Robbie, Carra or Stevie from the crowd.

It takes a lot for English players to really be accepted, loved and revered as one of our own like Jordan Henderson and Jamies Milner eventually (or Lallana to an extent) since the 90s just from my own experience. A large part is too many signings haven't worked out, but possibility a bit is psychological for how we see the rest of the country which is born out by how every other set of fans act towards us.

How many of those are likable though? Always disliked Dicks, Ruddock, Murphy especially. Should never have worn the Liverpool shirt. Not a big fan of Cole either. Many of those were not serious athletes. At all. Like Ruddock. Quite liked Heskey. 

Milner,Henderson, Lallana deserves a whole other level of respect. True professionals who have always given everything for the shirt. And seems to be great guys as well.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2833 on: February 8, 2020, 11:36:27 am »
I liked both Fowler and Owen but agree that Fowler had that something unquantifiable that just made him feel more like a supporter living the dream (I know he was a Blue!).

Fowler scored more in League seasons but despite that when both at their peaks it felt like we were more reliant on Owen than we were Fowler. Might be a bit harsh but the whole team was geared to getting the best out of Owen under Houllier.

Mad how we had two such brilliant strikers coming through the ranks one after the other though who both became the star player of the side.

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2834 on: February 8, 2020, 01:37:23 pm »
Never really had much time for owen. He was a good player for us, but to be honest could have been better... used to think at the time his shot conversion ratio was pretty poor. However the way he left to madrid and then later played for united erased any feelings with affinity with him. He always was and still is someone who is 100% in it for himself and doesn’t deserve any goodwill from lfc. His wages while he was here was enough for that... just an employee

Online Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2835 on: February 8, 2020, 11:57:17 pm »

Fantastically put.

"Self unaware" is exactly what I was thinking the whole way through. He went on for ages leaning into a narrative that going to Newcastle was what made Liverpool fans hate him until Carragher himself interjected with "well....we'll get to the big one in a minute".

I put my extreme dislike for him aside and listened in, found it an excellent listen, extremely informative and eye opening, but equally frustrating and infuriating because of how self unaware he was. "Well what more should I have done, Jamie?!" Not join fucking Manchester United, Michael! And maybe don't be referring to them as "us" in your post playing punditry career.

The ship sailed when you left us in the lurch to go cut-price to Madrid, the ship crashed into an iceberg and sank to the depths of the Atlantic when you signed for Manchester United.

Well worth a listen though, brilliant podcast.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2836 on: February 9, 2020, 08:53:55 am »
How many of those are likable though? Always disliked Dicks, Ruddock, Murphy especially. Should never have worn the Liverpool shirt. Not a big fan of Cole either. Many of those were not serious athletes. At all. Like Ruddock. Quite liked Heskey. 

Milner,Henderson, Lallana deserves a whole other level of respect. True professionals who have always given everything for the shirt. And seems to be great guys as well.

Agree, but they've had to really earn it to win over the fans and get that love. Henderson especially.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2837 on: February 9, 2020, 08:58:18 am »
I liked both Fowler and Owen but agree that Fowler had that something unquantifiable that just made him feel more like a supporter living the dream (I know he was a Blue!).

Fowler scored more in League seasons but despite that when both at their peaks it felt like we were more reliant on Owen than we were Fowler. Might be a bit harsh but the whole team was geared to getting the best out of Owen under Houllier.

Mad how we had two such brilliant strikers coming through the ranks one after the other though who both became the star player of the side.

It was also right place, right time with Fowler. It was a bad time. We were coming to the end of the Souness era, we were losing the standing Kop, Man United were starting to dominate and we were way down the table with a mostly useless team. Rush was getting old. Then a local hero emerges and starts banging in 30 goals a season. Where would we have been in the mid 90s without Robbie?

When Owen made his debut at Wimbledon we were in a title race and Fowler was at his peak and adored.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #2838 on: February 9, 2020, 10:24:09 am »
Listening to that Carragher podcast, every time he speaks I just can’t stop thinking I’m listening to a young Geoff Boycott.

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #2839 on: June 20, 2021, 05:14:12 pm »

'Married England legend Michael Owen begged reality TV star for nude pictures':-

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/married-england-legend-michael-owen-24356692
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576