Author Topic: Michael Owen  (Read 351637 times)

Offline trimore

• Legacy Fan
  • Dastardly and Muttley with sick laughter
Re: Michael Owen
« Reply #2720 on: September 5, 2019, 11:10:33 pm »
Nah. He had speed and decent ability, allied to superb mentality for his position. He was never within a country mile of Messi, potentially or otherwise. And his Ballon d'Or was a fucking joke.

Absolutely. Owen, even at his best, isn't in the same Universe as Messi. Owen's needed open space to run, while Messi lives in the tight spaces and is better in open spaces than Owen ever was. Just polar opposite players. Maybe, maybe if he really grew his stamina, strength and intelligence, he would have the potential to have been a Sadio Mane. Even that, most would think, would be a stretch.
Go off to sleep in the sunshine, I don't want to see the day when it's dying

Offline Paully

• Not the BlackAndWhitey one!
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2721 on: September 6, 2019, 07:49:08 am »
Absolute bellend - no way he’ll come to SJP for a life TV match!

https://twitter.com/sportinglifefc/status/1169694626787274753?s=21

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #2722 on: September 6, 2019, 10:34:03 am »
Who's seen the clip of him in the helicopter simulation?  :lmao

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #2723 on: September 6, 2019, 07:16:32 pm »
Owen is signing his book in Waterstones, Liverpool One tomorrow (Sat 7th at 1pm) if anyone would like to thank him for the memories, or throw tomatoes at him.  ;)
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #2724 on: September 7, 2019, 07:55:43 am »
He's an utter turd of a human being. You expect that all but the most nomadic footballers, especially ones who have played at the highest levels, would have at least one club they have some sort of lasting affection and affinity to and from when they retire. Owen seems to have just alienated the fans of everyone he ever played for and it barely registers to him why that might be.

"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline johnjohn

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2725 on: September 7, 2019, 10:20:22 am »
Anyone actually got an e copy of the book?

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2726 on: September 7, 2019, 03:26:19 pm »
Anyone actually got an e copy of the book?

going to be very hard to use an e-book as toilet paper. but to each their own!

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #2727 on: September 7, 2019, 09:00:36 pm »
Some of the visceral loathing just feels hyperbolic.

Good post.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2728 on: September 7, 2019, 10:59:00 pm »
An ex player player signing for a club whose fanbase for as long as I can remember, have sang despicable, sickening Hillsborough chants at every given opportunity is a c*nt. Nothing hyperbolic about it. Not forgetting the "history" between the two clubs outside of that. Zero respect for him and erodes any goodwill I had for him. Amazes me he's an ambassador the club, I can't think of many who are less deserving.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2729 on: September 8, 2019, 10:49:11 am »
Michael Owen. A bloke who desperately wants to be loved while continually finding ways to put his foot in it.

I can't help but like him, he was my hero growing up. As gutted as I was seeing him sign for United I think you have to look back and realise that basically once he left Madrid he was finished. He knew he was done and fancied adding a couple of easy medals to a collection that really should've been bigger for a player of his talent. He made a lot of poor decisions but at the end of the day we had his best years and we're partially responsible for the fact that those years lasted such a short period of time. He always wanted to come back after Madrid but we never wanted him and he had to go about doing whatever was best for his career.

Enough time has passed now IMO. When I think of Owen I think of that FA Cup final and of being a kid and idolising him as both Liverpool and England's great hope. What Torres did was far worse IMO and even then I couldn't really care less any more.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #2730 on: September 8, 2019, 10:55:09 am »
Michael Owen. A bloke who desperately wants to be loved while continually finding ways to put his foot in it.

I can't help but like him, he was my hero growing up. As gutted as I was seeing him sign for United I think you have to look back and realise that basically once he left Madrid he was finished. He knew he was done and fancied adding a couple of easy medals to a collection that really should've been bigger for a player of his talent. He made a lot of poor decisions but at the end of the day we had his best years and we're partially responsible for the fact that those years lasted such a short period of time. He always wanted to come back after Madrid but we never wanted him and he had to go about doing whatever was best for his career.

Enough time has passed now IMO. When I think of Owen I think of that FA Cup final and of being a kid and idolising him as both Liverpool and England's great hope. What Torres did was far worse IMO and even then I couldn't really care less any more.

He is infectiously likeable isn’t he?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2731 on: September 8, 2019, 10:59:50 am »
He is infectiously likeable isn’t he?
Well, not in a classical sense, but in the same way you can't help but love Partridge or Brent ;D

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2732 on: September 8, 2019, 11:39:48 am »
Some of the visceral loathing just feels hyperbolic.

Nah,  hes just a mega c*nt.  I hated him when he was 17,  still at 25 and still now.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #2733 on: September 8, 2019, 11:46:08 am »
Nah,  hes just a mega c*nt.  I hated him when he was 17,  still at 25 and still now.

Hating someone at 17, how sad.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #2734 on: September 8, 2019, 12:01:18 pm »
It's 2019, with Sterling, Torres and any other topic, the discussion changes as time goes by. With Owen, time seems to stand still and just doesn't seem to add any perspective like with everything else for some reason.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #2735 on: September 8, 2019, 12:09:59 pm »
Think some of the hatred on here is way oot! He made a few bad career moves at a relatively young age, can't see the massive outrage myself.

'An utter turd of a human being'...really? The prisons are full of such people, and more worryingly plenty of them freely walking the streets.

Like a lot of footy players, Owen might be a bit dim, but if he moved next door to me, I'd be ok with that. I met him a coupe of times, when my young daughter was crazy about him, he was made up when she told him he was her favourite player! He came across as a genuine and polite person.

Owen has done nothing in his personal life to suggest he's some kind of vile person to avoid at all costs, people need to chill, it's only footy!

Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2736 on: September 8, 2019, 12:15:26 pm »

not at all
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #2737 on: September 8, 2019, 12:17:04 pm »

Not sad, just....odd
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2738 on: September 8, 2019, 12:19:01 pm »
Not sad, just....odd

odder than if he was 30? 

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #2739 on: September 8, 2019, 12:20:15 pm »

Why did you hate him at 17?
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2740 on: September 8, 2019, 12:25:20 pm »
Why did you hate him at 17?

Were the same age and from the same area.  Ive known him since he was a kid, and mates of mine have played footy with and against him.  Hes a selfish prick with no empathy

Offline DangerScouse

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2741 on: September 8, 2019, 12:53:59 pm »
It's 2019, with Sterling, Torres and any other topic, the discussion changes as time goes by. With Owen, time seems to stand still and just doesn't seem to add any perspective like with everything else for some reason.

The reason is obvious.

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #2742 on: September 8, 2019, 04:57:01 pm »
Were the same age and from the same area.  Ive known him since he was a kid, and mates of mine have played footy with and against him.  Hes a selfish prick with no empathy
Him and Stevie were good mates. And admitted to having great chemistry on the pitch from young.

Stevie liked him. And everyone loves Stevie.

So why so much excessive loathing for Owen?
He's only a footy player. Hardly a brutal dictator or serial killer now.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2743 on: September 8, 2019, 08:21:56 pm »

Mind blown. Always thought you were fifty plus.

Offline DangerScouse

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2744 on: September 8, 2019, 08:51:42 pm »

So maybe not "sad" and "odd" afterall.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #2745 on: September 8, 2019, 09:09:20 pm »
From here:
I’ve always thought that Keith Blunt’s training schedule was a contributory factor to Owen’s horrific injury record. A few years back I was on a coaching course where Blunt was the lead tutor. Anyway one morning he’s in the clubhouse having a drink and tells us to go outside and set up the equipment for the first session. Once everything’s set up we start doing few stretches and a light warm up to get ready as it was a pretty full on day with loads of football to be played. A couple of lads in the group were just firing shots into one of the goals. A few minutes later Blunt walks out and says ‘what are you fellas doing?’ To which we reply, ‘getting warmed up Keith.’ He then points to the lads in the goal and says, ‘they’ve got the right idea, that’s the way to warm up.’  ;D
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #2746 on: September 8, 2019, 09:15:38 pm »
I’ve always thought that Keith Blunt’s training schedule was a contributory factor to Owen’s horrific injury record. A few years back I was on a coaching course where Blunt was the lead tutor. Anyway one morning he’s in the clubhouse having a drink and tells us to go outside and set up the equipment for the first session. Once everything’s set up we start doing few stretches and a light warm up to get ready as it was a pretty full on day with loads of football to be played. A couple of lads in the group were just firing shots into one of the goals. A few minutes later Blunt walks out and says ‘what are you fellas doing?’ To which we reply, ‘getting warmed up Keith.’ He then points to the lads in the goal and says, ‘they’ve got the right idea, that’s the way to warm up.’  ;D

Wow.

Also, you were both wrong ;D

A proper warm-up is two cans of Tennents, a bit of a sick, and 30 seconds of juggling.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #2747 on: September 8, 2019, 09:18:11 pm »
Wow.

A proper warm-up is two cans of Tennents, a bit of a sick, and 30 seconds of juggling.
;D
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2748 on: September 8, 2019, 11:42:12 pm »
From here:

;D ;D

Am I the only who finds Owen quite humerous?

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2749 on: September 9, 2019, 01:11:34 am »
An ex player player signing for a club whose fanbase for as long as I can remember, have sang despicable, sickening Hillsborough chants at every given opportunity is a c*nt. Nothing hyperbolic about it. Not forgetting the "history" between the two clubs outside of that. Zero respect for him and erodes any goodwill I had for him. Amazes me he's an ambassador the club, I can't think of many who are less deserving.

Ignoring that he is a twat of a man,that is all I needed to wipe him playing for us from my memory,there's no way he should be employed by the club.

He's a c*nt.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #2750 on: September 9, 2019, 06:46:01 am »
Wow.

You forgot a woodbine. Essential part of a Scouse breakfast.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #2751 on: September 9, 2019, 12:14:35 pm »
Wow.

haha maybe some silk cut and a jaffa cake
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #2752 on: September 9, 2019, 12:35:04 pm »
After he left and the manner in which he left still grates with me, but i dislike him as a person far more he is a twat who lacks any empathy or morality, i bet his book doesnt include taking a local bulder to court over a few thousand pounds disagreement on his then property near Mold and the tragic way that ended.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2753 on: September 9, 2019, 10:05:35 pm »

Fair point, cant argue with that

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2754 on: September 9, 2019, 10:08:06 pm »
Him and Stevie were good mates. And admitted to having great chemistry on the pitch from young.

Stevie liked him. And everyone loves Stevie.

So why so much excessive loathing for Owen?

Stevie is also good mates with Rooney, and liked Roy Hodgson.  I'd treat his opinions with extreme caution.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2755 on: September 9, 2019, 10:08:31 pm »
Mind blown. Always thought you were fifty plus.

Piss off, you try a paper round up those Welsh hills.  Hardly the flat street of Crosby.  ;)

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2756 on: September 9, 2019, 10:09:18 pm »
Stevie is also good mates with Rooney, and liked Roy Hodgson.  I'd treat his opinions with extreme caution.

Did he?

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2757 on: September 10, 2019, 01:44:40 pm »
On the Beeb: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/49642135

Fuck me, dull as ever
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline wheresnemeth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2758 on: September 10, 2019, 06:01:10 pm »
The Michael Owen brochure was one of the most desperate, cringe-worthy and hilarious things in football. I'm annoyed that he hasn’t released part two of the brochure on youtube demonstrating his brand value of being clean and fresh, first class, charismatic, respected, resilient and cool.
making a c*nting mess of a list, like c*nts on a bike trying to win the Tour de France...

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2759 on: September 10, 2019, 06:20:20 pm »
Did he?

I seem to recall both him and Carra much preferring Hodgson to Rafa.  I could be wrong of course - I mean, gawd knows why they would.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art