Author Topic: 2019 in Music  (Read 40925 times)

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: 2019 in Music
« Reply #520 on: November 4, 2019, 10:12:45 pm »
Only 13 pages in this thread. Is it a reflection of the quality of music released this year?

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #521 on: November 4, 2019, 11:14:41 pm »
Only 13 pages in this thread. Is it a reflection of the quality of music released this year?

Nope. It's been an excellent year.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Ronnie McCart

• Main Stander
« Reply #522 on: November 5, 2019, 03:36:07 pm »
Anyone else enjoying the new Michael Kiwanuka album?

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #523 on: November 5, 2019, 10:35:11 pm »

As ever, and it gets increasingly difficult, I get overwhelmed with nods to listen to this and that - whether it's new or old, so I am increasingly feeling a bit more lost.

But, we should all take more care of this thread and pull up and link shit we find and enjoy more.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #524 on: November 5, 2019, 10:40:27 pm »
I did like to see Jarvis Cocker nominate the recent 2xLP by Bill Callahan in his Bakers Dozen tho. There are still people alive that haven't tuned in to Bill Callahan.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #525 on: November 5, 2019, 11:37:35 pm »
another shout out for https://tropicaltrash.bandcamp.com/album/southern-indiana-drone-footage

(I can't listen to this anymore :( )

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #526 on: November 6, 2019, 11:50:21 am »
Guitar Wolf on Tuesday in Den Haag. Yes! 7 euro 50 in is an absolute bargain. What a band.

More tour dates here

https://avo-magazine.nl/en/2019/10/guitar-wolfs-stay-in-europe-will-be-a-bit-longer-love-jett-euro-tour-2019/

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #527 on: November 6, 2019, 12:17:04 pm »
Nope. It's been an excellent year.

Agreed - lots of good releases.  Looking forward to putting together a list next month.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #528 on: November 6, 2019, 12:43:05 pm »
Guitar Wolf on Tuesday in Den Haag. Yes! 7 euro 50 in is an absolute bargain. What a band.

More tour dates here

https://avo-magazine.nl/en/2019/10/guitar-wolfs-stay-in-europe-will-be-a-bit-longer-love-jett-euro-tour-2019/

Saw them a couple of years ago when visiting the UK. Amazing show, one of the best I've ever been to.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #529 on: November 7, 2019, 02:38:37 am »
Really enjoying new albums this year from chastity belt, mimico, and champs.
---Rilke

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #530 on: November 8, 2019, 04:10:50 pm »
Pretty decent week for new music considering how late in the year it is. New albums from FKA Twigs, Mount Eerie, Girl Ray and Earl Sweatshirt to listen to.

Offline Casta

• way
  • Anny Roader
  • Kiba, Per Sempre nel mio Cuore...
« Reply #531 on: November 8, 2019, 04:53:02 pm »
The Willam Duval One Alone cd is one of the most engaging acoustic storytelling albums i've heard in ages, it also helps he's got a really good voice, recommend it, also Desert Sessions 11 & 12 is good, very much QOTSA though
Nostalgia isn’t what it used to be

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #532 on: November 9, 2019, 10:09:58 am »
Only on track 2 of a great sounding LP by Big Stick: LP (July 2019) . Filthy guitars and a sax and noise... think Ween, Milk Cult and Shit and Shine.

This is filth..

wiki:

Big Stick is an eclectic alternative/independent duo that achieved domestic and foreign cult status with their rock-punk-pop debut release, the Drag Racing EP in 1986. It was instantly recognizable for Yanna Trance's catchy voice repeatedly speaking the line "In the summer I wear my tube top, and Eddie takes me to the dragstrip" throughout the track. It was one of the 142 singles in BBC DJ John Peel's Record Box that he'd picked to leave behind in case of a fire.[1]

In 1990, Blast First records released a box set of 10 7" singles by various artists on their roster, including Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr., Big Black, the Butthole Surfers and Sun Ra. The box set was named after the Big Stick track it contained, Devil's Jukebox.

While the band stayed together and more recently have performed with My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult,[2] it is still for Drag Racing that they are best known. They have also collaborated on a film soundtrack, for Besotted.[3]
« Last Edit: November 9, 2019, 10:14:53 am by Filler. »

Offline Venton

• Main Stander
« Reply #533 on: November 10, 2019, 03:39:23 pm »

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #534 on: November 11, 2019, 12:10:11 am »
Not listened to much of their previous stuff but really like Foals latest album. It’s part 2 of two albums this year and I much prefer it to the first one. Black Bull and Like Lightening stand outs
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #535 on: November 12, 2019, 10:19:59 pm »
Guitar Wolf. Oh man.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #536 on: November 13, 2019, 11:49:16 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/BfrCwQPItxE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/BfrCwQPItxE</a>

:wave

Quoting myself here but just can't get enough of this. Great song great album. If you haven't checked it out yet, do yourself a favour.  :)
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #537 on: November 13, 2019, 12:43:04 pm »
Guitar Wolf. Oh man.

Brilliant live, aren't they?
---Rilke

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #538 on: November 13, 2019, 12:44:02 pm »
Quoting myself here but just can't get enough of this. Great song great album. If you haven't checked it out yet, do yourself a favour.  :)

Yeah very much enjoying this. Thanks for the recommendation.
---Rilke

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #539 on: November 13, 2019, 12:49:05 pm »
Brilliant live, aren't they?
The best 8 euros I've spent on music for a while.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #540 on: November 13, 2019, 05:37:22 pm »
Just came in to say Weyes Blood has got the voice of an angel.

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #541 on: November 13, 2019, 08:51:29 pm »
As a lover of electronic music, have you heard W.H. Lung's Incidental Music from earlier in the year? Well worth checking out.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #542 on: November 14, 2019, 01:41:13 pm »
As a lover of electronic music, have you heard W.H. Lung's Incidental Music from earlier in the year? Well worth checking out.

Thanks for the tip.

Sounds cool. Love the aesthetics, and how could one resist something with a song called Second Death of My Face!
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Online AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #543 on: November 16, 2019, 09:44:04 pm »
Listened to two tremendous albums today by artists I’ve never listened to before. The new Michael Kiwanuka and the new Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds.

Outstanding work by both of them.

Online Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #544 on: November 17, 2019, 10:39:31 am »
That FKA Twigs album. Christ.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #545 on: November 17, 2019, 04:58:28 pm »

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #546 on: November 19, 2019, 08:19:26 am »
Just came in to say Weyes Blood has got the voice of an angel.

Think I'm going to PM her on Twitter and see if she wants to escape to the end of the world with me.

Too drastic? :D

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #547 on: November 19, 2019, 11:12:41 pm »
Shit and Shine new LP out. Just found out they (he) brought out something some weeks ago - a 7 song EP. This is a good day.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #548 on: November 20, 2019, 02:15:32 pm »
This Fontaines DC album is fucking excellent.

Anyone going to see Fontaines DC in Liverpool this evening?  Their debut album was released back in April and, for me, stands as one of the strongest releases in an excellent year.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #549 on: November 21, 2019, 02:53:04 pm »
Just come away from listening to Nihiloxica: Nihiloxica (2017) as chosen by the drummer from Sepultura in the Quietus Baker's Dozen this week. Superb. Ugandan techno.

'Welcome to the world of NIHILOXICA. A darker take on traditional Bugandan drumming. Comprised of seven percussionists, one kit drummer combined with an analog synth player. Recorded live in single takes at Boutiq Studios in Kampala, Uganda between the 26th and 29th of August 2017.'

Great cover too:

Now onto Biiri (2019) and it's not disappointing. https://nyegenyegetapes.bandcamp.com/album/biiri

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #550 on: November 21, 2019, 03:47:16 pm »
Saw Richard Dawson last night - unbelievably good
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #551 on: November 23, 2019, 08:44:33 am »
Saw Richard Dawson last night - even better live than on the album. 10/10

Spoiler
when he opened with civil servant i got my hopes up he was going to run through the entire album but alas he missed freshers ball, black triangle and fulfillment centre
[close]
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 08:46:08 am by Jake »
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #552 on: November 23, 2019, 01:08:45 pm »
Really into the new Swans album. Love the sense of foreboding momentum in every track.
---Rilke

Online AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #553 on: November 23, 2019, 02:55:41 pm »
I dig some of the music and the lyrics but I’m really struggling to get on board with Richard Dawson’s voice and I can’t put my finger on why.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #554 on: November 25, 2019, 11:08:07 am »
That FKA Twigs album. Christ.

At first it was off putting...but it's really starting to grow on me....its got some crazy Bush/Amos moments...but after seeing her on later I'm warming to her

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #555 on: November 26, 2019, 02:07:22 pm »
Probably too early for an Album of the Year thread, with a month left for releases yet.  As such, I'll just post this in here for now and it can perhaps be moved to an early slot as and when the RAWK AOTY 2019 thread opens up.

BBC Radio 6 Music: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/2kl6bfwYK6HSN32PYh2T6cT/6-music-recommends-albums-of-the-year-2019

The Skinny: https://www.theskinny.co.uk/music/opinion/albums-of-the-year/the-skinnys-albums-of-2019
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 10:12:36 pm by jackh »

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #556 on: November 27, 2019, 10:14:45 am »
Probably too early for an Album of the Year thread, with a month left for releases yet.  As such, I'll just post this in here for now and it can perhaps be moved to an early slot as and when the RAWK AOTY 2019 thread opens up.

BBC Radio 6 Music: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/2kl6bfwYK6HSN32PYh2T6cT/6-music-recommends-albums-of-the-year-2019

The Skinny: https://www.theskinny.co.uk/music/opinion/albums-of-the-year/the-skinnys-albums-of-2019

A lot of the independent shops are dropping their lists.

Incidental Music by W.H Lung has got a lot of love - number 2 at Drift and number one for Resident / Piccadilly.

It is a fantastic record and they are brilliant live - surprised it never got the attention it deserved at time of release.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #557 on: November 27, 2019, 10:18:04 pm »

Incidental Music by W.H Lung has got a lot of love - number 2 at Drift and number one for Resident / Piccadilly.

I really this album. I see Picadilly are giving away a bonus remix CD with orders of the album.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #558 on: November 28, 2019, 01:34:34 pm »

I really this album. I see Picadilly are giving away a bonus remix CD with orders of the album.

Yeah - Resident in Brighton has a special run on red vinyl with a print (not signed).

I have the clear one from label (limited to 250) with signed print - got a 2nd copy of it actually as someone bought me it too!

Offline telekon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #559 on: November 28, 2019, 03:23:05 pm »

Loving it  :wave