Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12303678 times)

Offline C

• ock. Skinny bastard attempting to give himself a brekkie heart attack. Miserable, Unless we win of course.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: So what are these Youth/Reserve Lads like?
« Reply #82040 on: May 4, 2015, 07:12:39 pm »
Ojo did have a poor game today, so if this was the only time someone watched the kid - they would be entitled to think he wasn't very good.

Sinclair was very quiet today too. The crossed freekick for the first goal was first team worthy
People still underrate Cristiano Ronaldo.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82041 on: May 4, 2015, 07:34:35 pm »
I never said he was lacking close control! When I said skilful I meant he doesn't have a trick like Kent with his dummy and drag back the last night to beat his man. That instance at the end is what Ojo is good at the same for the penalty during the week.  Running at the defenders using his pace. When a defender gets tight to him do and stands him up he struggles and he doesnt know what to do..

He's 17.. Let that sink in for a bit before posting again.

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82042 on: May 4, 2015, 07:46:56 pm »
Ojo did have a poor game today, so if this was the only time someone watched the kid - they would be entitled to think he wasn't very good.
I have watched him at u16, u17 and u18 level for England as well as for our u17, u18 and u21 games.
Its not that I think he is not very good no he has alot of strong points to his game and some weaknesses too.
As any 17 year old would have.  I just mentioned one of these in that he struggles at something very particular.
People disagree fair enough we have been here before.

Offline jboy14

• Kopite
« Reply #82043 on: May 4, 2015, 07:51:52 pm »
dakid reminds me of Stewart Downing.

Shit contributions.

This made me laugh. :)
Of all the unimportant things in life, football is the most important.

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82044 on: May 4, 2015, 07:54:02 pm »
dakid reminds me of Stewart Downing.

Shit contributions.
Comical as ever...... Next thing you will be trying to say he scores and creates a shit tonne more than Suso ever did at U18/U21 level

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #82045 on: May 4, 2015, 07:54:31 pm »
Comical as ever...... Next thing you will be trying to say he scores and creates a shit tonne more than Suso ever did at U18/U21 level

Love you too  :-*

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82046 on: May 4, 2015, 07:55:22 pm »

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82047 on: May 4, 2015, 07:58:03 pm »
He's 17.. Let that sink in for a bit before posting again.
Great point that. I should have posted in the "So what are these 17 year old lads like?" thread.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82048 on: May 4, 2015, 08:00:42 pm »
Great point that. I should have posted in the "So what are these 17 year old lads like?" thread.

Fucking sicko.

Offline Twitter.com

• 140 character limitation. Laugh now but one day he'll be in chorge. Media junkie.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82049 on: May 4, 2015, 08:19:12 pm »

;)
^ That's what you get for posting twitter shite kids.

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82050 on: May 4, 2015, 08:20:22 pm »
I've seen him plenty of times over the last 2 years deal with that situation fine. When he won that same penalty, a defender was standing him up and he just beat him, drawing the foul.

Ojo's downfalls are his final ball and his inconsistent decision making.
But Distin wasn't tight to him at any stage! He is even still moving to Ojos right as Ojo takes his second touch inside on his favoured left foot.
I agree with you with regards to his final ball and his decision making.

Offline s4ffy1

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82052 on: May 4, 2015, 08:32:26 pm »
Origi I think.

Visiting Liverpool.

Offline Twitter.com

• 140 character limitation. Laugh now but one day he'll be in chorge. Media junkie.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82053 on: May 4, 2015, 08:35:10 pm »
Young Divock.

Hope st hotel.
« Last Edit: May 4, 2015, 08:40:39 pm by Bonsky »
^ That's what you get for posting twitter shite kids.

Offline Kochevnik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82054 on: May 4, 2015, 08:44:05 pm »
Young Divock.

I always chuckle when I hear his first name.  Reminds me of a joke about last summer's transfer business that aims to show that our poor business was all down to Brendan's Norn Irish accent:

Rodgers: How we looking on getting in a first choice centre back, then, Ian?

Ayre: Southampton are asking £20m for Lovren.

Rodgers: Get t'fuck!

Ayre: OK *walks away mumbling to himself* Guess I'll make that Origi lad a priority as well, then.
Managers who have won fewer than three European Cups: Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola, Saachi, Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Clough, Happel, Trapattoni, Cruyff, Michels, Lobanovsky, Capello, and many more.
Managers who have won three or more European Cups: Bob Paisley

Offline NorthamptonKopite

• Non-
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #82055 on: May 4, 2015, 09:55:12 pm »

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82056 on: May 4, 2015, 10:03:33 pm »
I'm actually really excited about the prospect of being in the Europa

One of our babies might make their debut  ;D

Our squad probably isn't as thin as the year Wisdom, Robinson, Suso, Sterling, Pacheco, Morgan, Coady and Flanagan all got on the field (that away to Anzhi we sent out a reserve team). But still, if someone like Ojo gets 20 minutes even, I'll be far happier than I should be. Him, Rossiter and Williams seemed the closest to the firsts this year, although who knows what we've got planned with loans. Might depends how they look pre-season.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #82057 on: May 4, 2015, 10:14:39 pm »
I'd expect Ibe would play near enough every game. Origi too.

Who else? Illori (if he's still here), maybe Teixeria might feature regularly.

Other than those I reckon the likes of Brannagan/Rossiter/Williams/Ojo/Sinclair might get sub apps or the odd start.

I wouldn't be against us going all in and giving them all lots of game time, I think we could do that and still qualify from the group, but I think there'd be much more of a balance struck than simply throwing all the kids on the pitch at once personally.

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82058 on: May 4, 2015, 10:51:02 pm »

Other than those I reckon the likes of Brannagan/Rossiter/Williams/Ojo/Sinclair might get sub apps or the odd start.

I wouldn't be against us going all in and giving them all lots of game time, I think we could do that and still qualify from the group, but I think there'd be much more of a balance struck than simply throwing all the kids on the pitch at once personally.

All those mentioned above, and in a dream scenario Wilson and Kent getting a few minutes as well and I'll be extremely pleased really.

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #82059 on: May 4, 2015, 11:38:23 pm »
Nice quotes from Beale in the Echo: http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/liverpool-u21s-boss-michael-beale-9181044?. The more I read about him, the more and more I like him.

Liverpool U21s boss Michael Beale: 'I'd take one more first team debut this season over winning this league'

Liverpool U21s manager Michael Beale watched his team briefly go top of the Premier League table – and insisted he’d swap any title for one more first team debut from his young charges this season.

The Reds overcame a 1-0 half-time deficit against a powerful Leicester side thanks to second half goals from centre-half Dan Cleary and captain Cameron Brannagan at Chester’s Swansway Stadium.

It moved them briefly a point clear of Manchester United at the top of the table - though their rivals took the position back on Monday evening with a narrow 1-0 win against Southampton - and provided a slice of revenge for the 3-1 defeat at the King Power stadium a few weeks ago.

But the Reds boss was as consistent as ever in concentrating on developing his players towards the first team over anything the league race may bring, with games away at Chelsea on Thursday and Norwich at Anfield next Monday completing the league campaign.

Beale told the ECHO: “It’s more important that we managed to solve a problem at half-time where they were bigger and stronger and their style of play was really affecting us.

“We’ve got to not get carried away with the league here, these are development games and I’d be underselling the players if I just focused so much on the results because I haven’t been all season.

“That was the chat at half-time really: ‘You seem too focused on the result and tense and I just want you to play the way we work every day’ and that’s a big lesson for them today.

“For us it is about development. If you could give me one more debut between now and the end of the season or winning this league, I’d take the debut every time because that’s what this team’s about.

“Every game we play, yes we’ve got a game plan to win and do well but that cannot override us getting a player in the first team. That’s ultimately what this team’s about.”

Liverpool were in debt to their goalkeeper Danny Ward for some superb first half saves to keep the deficit down to one at the break and Beale had nothing but praise for his keeper, who was a first team substitute for 19 games as Brad Jones recovered from injury earlier this season.

“I was just pleased with the second half, I thought that was more like the team which you would want to play against Chelsea and the sort of style you want,” he said.

“Danny Ward hasn’t been in action recently and he came in and make three or four excellent saves first half. We’ve not had too many games where we’ve had to rely on our goalkeeper and it was a time for him to come in and showcase himself today.

“We’ve had other games where it was all about the wide players or the midfielders and today was about Danny Ward a little bit so I’m really pleased for him.”

With so much at stake, it was a disappointingly subdued Reds for the first half of the match and Beale needed to remind his team of what was expected at half-time.

“We didn’t change shape at half-time, I think we changed mentality.

“We weren’t happy with the way the game was going, we didn’t feel that that’s going to be enough to get a player out of this group and into the first team. They were underselling themselves, we said, and they had to be brave and play in the style we wanted, even if it meant we lost this game.

“We had to show a different style in the second half and we did. I thought players came into the games a lot better.

“I thought Sheyi (Ojo) and Ryan Kent as the game went on got more space, the same with Harry Wilson before he came off, and Jerome (Sinclair) who hasn’t played in a long time coming in and starting,”

Liverpool now travel to play Chelsea at Aldershot on Thursday night for what will be a heavyweight encounter against a youth set-up which has carried all before it this year with Beale himself returning to his former club.

He said: “We had a really good night at Chelsea last year, there was 5,000 there and it was a particularly good game and a night we’re proud of, with Jack Dunn scoring the winner.

“They are fighting for the league themselves, they’re U19 European champions, holders of the U21 league, FA Youth Cup winners, them boys have won everything.

“It’s another test and I’ve got a lot of friends in that camp but it won’t make any difference on Thursday.”

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82060 on: May 5, 2015, 12:34:25 am »

Think it would be better to give a 2/3 a game at a time. They certainly have the talent to be able to compete at that sort of level and we're probably going to need the EL to give some squad players a game as well. Guess this also depends on who gets a loan. Could see Ojo, Sincalir, Williams and Brannagan all getting loans at various levels from the start of the season.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #82061 on: May 5, 2015, 12:52:53 am »
Think it would be better to give a 2/3 a game at a time. They certainly have the talent to be able to compete at that sort of level and we're probably going to need the EL to give some squad players a game as well. Guess this also depends on who gets a loan. Could see Ojo, Sincalir, Williams and Brannagan all getting loans at various levels from the start of the season.

We've tended to loan players for the second half of the season though haven't we, in general.

And with the EL being a genuine place for them to play as well as the League Cup I don't think we'll see too many heading out initially.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82062 on: May 5, 2015, 12:55:17 am »
Guess it depends on what's available. Now most of those mentioned have had exposure to other clubs through initial loans there might be more willing to take them on earlier in the season. Think Inglethorpe would rather they had loans set up than waiting round for the odd cup game.

Also think we have enough talent coming through we could let the 4 I mentioned go out on loan and still have players get game time without a huge drop off. After that you're still left with say Yesil, Kent, Wilson, Canos and Rossiter. At a push Phillips, Randall and Pedro, or even someone like O'Hanlon whose stepped up quite a bit from u18s to 21s. And that's not even mentioning the older lads like Jones or Dunn who you'd hope would be sorted with loans.
« Last Edit: May 5, 2015, 01:14:08 am by Chris~ »

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82063 on: May 5, 2015, 12:56:40 am »
We've tended to loan players for the second half of the season though haven't we, in general.

And with the EL being a genuine place for them to play as well as the League Cup I don't think we'll see too many heading out initially.

I don't think that's ever a plan for the most part. I think there's just more loans in general in the football league in the second half of the season. The ones who are more wanted than most will get their loan straight away. (Like Ibe.) The massive rush of loans in the 2nd half are clubs trying to solve problems and fill gaps in their squads.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #82064 on: May 5, 2015, 01:17:05 am »
I don't think that's ever a plan for the most part. I think there's just more loans in general in the football league in the second half of the season. The ones who are more wanted than most will get their loan straight away. (Like Ibe.) The massive rush of loans in the 2nd half are clubs trying to solve problems and fill gaps in their squads.

Yeah this probably plays its part too.

Inglethorpe is certainly big on loaning players out, wonder how much it'll come in to conflict with Rodgers wanting a few kept around for the first few months.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82065 on: May 5, 2015, 01:18:37 am »
Yeah this probably plays its part too.

Inglethorpe is certainly big on loaning players out, wonder how much it'll come in to conflict with Rodgers wanting a few kept around for the first few months.

I imagine it'll depend on the squad he has going in to the season. They'll all have recall clauses so I don't think he'll mind at all how many go out on loan as long as they can be brought back if absolutely necessary.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #82066 on: May 5, 2015, 01:23:59 am »
I imagine it'll depend on the squad he has going in to the season. They'll all have recall clauses so I don't think he'll mind at all how many go out on loan as long as they can be brought back if absolutely necessary.

Who goes out, and how many of them do do, will be a decent early indicator of how he's going to approach the EL in all likelihood.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82067 on: May 5, 2015, 01:24:08 am »
I can't imagine there will be any conflict. Any player Rodgers wants around the first team I imagine he'll keep. Like I don't imagine Ojo would have went out on loan if Rodgers thought he'd be using him often. It's not like Rodgers is against players getting loans either, he seems to see them the same as Inglethorpe does.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #82068 on: May 5, 2015, 01:27:01 am »
I can't imagine there will be any conflict. Any player Rodgers wants around the first team I imagine he'll keep. Like I don't imagine Ojo would have went out on loan if Rodgers thought he'd be using him often. It's not like Rodgers is against players getting loans either, he seems to see them the same as Inglethorpe does.

No I don't think there'd be any conflict as such. More that Rodgers will be saying who he intends to use and those players will have to wait for a loan. Regardless of whether Inglethorpe had earmarked them for one.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82069 on: May 5, 2015, 01:29:31 am »
No I don't think there'd be any conflict as such. More that Rodgers will be saying who he intends to use and those players will have to wait for a loan. Regardless of whether Inglethorpe had earmarked them for one.

Pre-season will be very interesting indeed. I think Brannagan is in with a very good shout at the moment.

Offline Maldini

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82070 on: May 5, 2015, 06:06:46 pm »
He was capped for England u16s as a midfielder so he has form.

Yeah he was a CM we moved back to RB rather than a RB we've moved into midfield

Offline MrBoywunder

• Kopite
  • They say our days are numbered...
« Reply #82071 on: May 5, 2015, 09:52:40 pm »
LFC have agreed a deal for 17 year old midfielder Paulinho from Portuguese third tier team A.D. Sanjoanense, he'll join the club after the season ends.

He has made 12 first team appearances this season.

http://www.ads.pt/ad-sanjoanense/2015/comunicado-paulinho-em-liverpool-para-ultimar-detalhes/
« Last Edit: May 5, 2015, 09:54:45 pm by MrBoywunder »

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82072 on: May 5, 2015, 10:04:38 pm »
How is Brannagan's progress coming along? I can't watch games as I'm not signed up to Liverpool FC TV, but I hear he is a great prospect?

Infuriating when the likes of Moses and Luis Alberto were brought in when it would have been far more beneficial - and certainly not anymore detrimental to the team - to let Rossitter and Brannagan have a chance.

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82073 on: May 5, 2015, 10:07:08 pm »
How is Brannagan's progress coming along? I can't watch games as I'm not signed up to Liverpool FC TV, but I hear he is a great prospect?

Infuriating when the likes of Moses and Luis Alberto were brought in when it would have been far more beneficial - and certainly not anymore detrimental to the team - to let Rossitter and Brannagan have a chance.

Others can answer that better perhaps, reg Brannagan. But IMO he's developing nicely and should feature in the preseason and possibly in cup games, etc next season if not loaned out.

But two seasons ago neither him or Rossiter were anywhere close really. But your argument stands for other players taking those two mentioned places in the team for sure.
« Last Edit: May 5, 2015, 10:12:12 pm by plura »

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82074 on: May 5, 2015, 11:04:15 pm »

That season was definitely too soon for Brannagan but Rossiter may well have got a bit of a go.

Brannagan has come on a lot more in the last 12 months and looks like he could get some games in the first team. Imposes himself a lot more on games regularly nowadays.

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82075 on: May 6, 2015, 12:19:01 am »
That season was definitely too soon for Brannagan but Rossiter may well have got a bit of a go.

That was Rossiter's first season playing regularly in the U21s.

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82076 on: May 6, 2015, 01:12:37 am »
Wisdom, Ilori, Ibe, Texeira, Ojo, Sinclair will all get some chances I think. Paez, Lloyd Jones, Brad Smith, Wilson, Williams, Rossiter, Brannagan, Dunn, Yesil might also be in with a shout. That's quite a lot of younger players that might become part of the fringe set up. Perhaps only Origi and Ibe will become regulars in the next season or so, and big question marks over whether the remainder can adjust to our style of play and the performing at the required level week in week out. Hopefully we can secure some decent loans for some of these players. Don't think theres a lot of point in them just playing a handful of reserve games. They need regular games and hardening from serious exposure and competition. That being said, no point going on loan to sit on a bench either.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82077 on: May 6, 2015, 01:18:44 am »
Wisdom, Ilori, Ibe, Texeira, Ojo, Sinclair will all get some chances I think. Paez, Lloyd Jones, Brad Smith, Wilson, Williams, Rossiter, Brannagan, Dunn, Yesil,  might also be in with a shout. That's quite a lot of younger players that might become part of the fringe set up. Perhaps only Origi and Ibe will become regulars in the next season or so, and big question marks over whether the remainder can adjust to our style of play and the performing at the required level week in week out. Hopefully we can secure some decent loans for some of these players. Don't think theres a lot of point in them just playing a handful of reserve games. They need regular games and hardening from serious exposure and competition. That being said, no point going on loan to sit on a bench either.

Think Kent and Canos have an opportunity also. Lloyd Jones and Paez will probably be on their way. Dan Cleary has a better chance than Jones. Cleary has had a very good season at u21 level.

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
  • "We have dreams and songs to sing"
« Reply #82078 on: May 6, 2015, 01:30:20 am »
Think Kent and Canos have an opportunity also. Lloyd Jones and Paez will probably be on their way. Dan Cleary has a better chance than Jones. Cleary has had a very good season at u21 level.
I agree with that, he's probably LFC's most improved player from the group who were playing regularly for the u18s last season.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82079 on: May 6, 2015, 10:12:20 am »
U17 Euros starts today. We've got Trent Alexander-Arnold and Herbie Kane with England (on Eurosport tomorrow) and Masterson is with Ireland in England's group.

Lovren's brother is with the Croatia side and the kid we tried to sign from Valencia last season is with Spain.

Will be interesting to see if any of the players who were out on loan get back in the u21 side for the Chelsea game. We've a real good chance of winning the title if we win the next two as United's last two games are both against City.
« Last Edit: May 6, 2015, 10:14:59 am by Chris~ »