Author Topic: EFL Cup 4th Round Bournemouth Away - 19:45 Weds 1st November  (Read 14493 times)

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
EFL Cup 4th Round Bournemouth Away - 19:45 Weds 1st November
« on: October 30, 2023, 10:42:11 am »

After a convincing and comfortable win yesterday our focus moves to Bournemouth away at the Vitality stadium in the EFC Cup.
No doubt, similarly to other midweek games we will see Liverpool make a number of changes, without weakening the team too much.
Starting at the back it is almost certain we will see Gomez at right back, Matip and Quansah at centre back and Chambers at left back.
Midfield will include Endo, Jones and probably Elliott.
I have not heard that Luis Diaz's Dad has been found safe yet (terrible situation for him!) and so I expect we will see Gakpo, Nunez and Salah start up front, unless Doak has recovered.
So, lots of rotation but not a weak starting X1.
I looked at Bournemouth's result in Round 3 and they beat Stoke City 2-0. Interestingly, Solanke scored the first after coming on after a goalless first half. This suggests they looked to rotate some but still wanted to progress. I would not be surprised if they really are not too arsed if they lose to us as they need to build on a win against Burnley at the weekend to aim to stay ahead of the three promoted teams in the division.

Looking back at Bournemouth over the years, they have generally been a team who aim to play good football and were characterised as such during the Eddie Howe years. This used to suit us fine and, apart from the odd mad result, we have a decent record against them - won 13, lost 2 and drew 1. It was a strange decision to move Gary O'Neill on as he seemed to get them playing well second half of last season, to keep them up and of course this included beating us. I was at the 9-0 home match so was shocked at the loss in Spring, but suppose it was symptomatic of our stop start performances then.
Mo generally loves a goal here and so I reckon he will be happy to start knowing we don't play again until Sunday.
The new manager has not fully settled them yet but does seem to be well thought of. Our home match showed them well capable of giving us a scare but our quality told at the end and despite the rotated team I expect the same again on Wednesday.
Overall, I suspect it will be an interesting match, both teams looking to play football and we should see them off by a couple of goals is my prediction -
Anyone got a different view?
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Re: EFL Cup 4th Round Bournemouth Away - 19:45 Weds 1st November
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2023, 10:47:43 am »
Expect a mix of first teamers and reserves for this one.  We'll go fairly strong.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2023, 10:52:37 am »
We have a great chance in this competition. One of West Ham or Arsenal are going out, one of United or Newcastle are going out and two of Exeter City, Middlesbrough, Mansfield Town or Port Vale are guaranteed to be in the quarters.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2023, 11:04:29 am »
Kelleher, Gomez, Matip, Quansah, Chambers, Curtis, Endo, Gravenberch, Mo, Cody, Harvey. Or swap Harvey for Grav and put Diogo in. A midweek game won't hurt Mo given how much rest he's getting in the Europa.

Don't want Darwin starting this, let him rest for Luton.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2023, 11:04:37 am »
Kelleher, Gomez, Quansah, Matip, Endo, Elliott, Jones and Gakpo looks like certainties to start.

Not sure if the other 3 will be like of Chambers, McConnel, Doak (if fit) or more established 1st teamers.

With it being at Bournemouth surely you don’t take 1st teamers  unless there is a certainty they are getting some game time.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Smudge

• Epic Troll and one hell of a Richarlison...
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2023, 11:14:42 am »
Same team as Toulouse?

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2023, 12:41:19 pm »
Same team as Toulouse?

I’m not sure Jota and Trent start again. Might be subs
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2023, 02:12:25 pm »
Referee: Brooks, John
Assistant Referee: Betts, Lee
Assistant Referee: Howson, Akil
Fourth Official: Linington, James

No VAR.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2023, 02:26:11 pm »
Thanks for the OP Roger, good to get some background on what’s been happening with them.

As you say I think their focus will be on staying up so expect them to rotate a fair amount.

It feels like we can rotate and still be strong which is a great position to be in. I think we may see a Endo, Jones, Grav midfield with Elliott starting in the right forward position again.

I’d love us to win this again, another trip to Wembley, another trophy and importantly games for those not quite able to gain regular starting positions in our best XI.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2023, 02:39:08 pm »
Referee: Brooks, John
Assistant Referee: Howson, Akil
Fourth Official: Linington, James

No VAR.

I always find this a bit odd in this competition. Am I right in thinking it's not used because it can't be used across all matches (home matches for lower league sides, for example)? I don't understand why not having it in for some of the matches means it can't be used in others - it's not there to offer an advantage to either side is it, so surely it should be used where it can be...?

Online thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2023, 02:50:51 pm »
Thanks Roger  :thumbup

I don't know a lot about their squad but our rotation players are surely better than theirs.  Our first 10 were better than their first 11...

It would be great to keep the cup run going as it's often a competition that really opens up for one or two teams a season as the other bigger clubs gradually fall by the wayside.  That said, if we could make 11 changes I'd be fine with that but with five out I expect some will need to play again.

Kelleher
Gomez - Qaunsah - Matip - Chambers
Endo
Elliott - Gravenberch
Doak - Gakpo - Jota

Gakpo could probably do with the minutes and both Gravenberch and Jota had less than an hour against Forest.  I think Doak is back from his muscle injury.

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2023, 02:58:03 pm »
Urgh, wearing our away kit, enjoy games far less like that.

But, should be interesting to see some of the fringe players if Toulouse is anything to go by.
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2023, 03:06:59 pm »
We have a great chance in this competition. One of West Ham or Arsenal are going out, one of United or Newcastle are going out and two of Exeter City, Middlesbrough, Mansfield Town or Port Vale are guaranteed to be in the quarters.

Exactly. Huge chance of silverware here. I want to see something stronger than what we'll play in the next three European games and not too much rotation. A good portion of yesterday's game was played at walking pace as well, so I think some should keep their places even if not for 90 minutes. Changes are more than likely though with this sandwiched in between two league games.

Kelleher
Gomez   Matip   'The Q'   Tsimikas
Endo   Mac Allister   Jones
Elliot   Gakpo   Jota

Imagine he'll play Elliot in the middle and rest Mac Allister but I imagine something like that. Gakpo will almost certainly lead the line you'd think. Bournemouth will probably make changes too which should aid us even further. We'll go with a strong bench whoever plays. We should really have too much for them.

Any win will do. Just make sure we're in the hat because we're probably favourites from here on without City being in it.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2023, 04:00:21 pm »
I always find this a bit odd in this competition. Am I right in thinking it's not used because it can't be used across all matches (home matches for lower league sides, for example)? I don't understand why not having it in for some of the matches means it can't be used in others - it's not there to offer an advantage to either side is it, so surely it should be used where it can be...?

I believe to make things level in the competition, VAR is only used in the Semi's and Final at Wembley.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2023, 04:04:13 pm »
No Nunez, Salah, Szoboslai, Van Dijk, Trent or Konate please. Relaxed about everyone else but those are our 6 most important outfield players and I don't really want them playing a 4th round league cup game.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2023, 04:06:24 pm »
I believe to make things level in the competition, VAR is only used in the Semi's and Final at Wembley.

Why is it seen to imbalance things though? I don't quite follow why, for example, it'd be problematic for VAR to be used in the Bournemouth vs Liverpool match but not Mansfield vs Port Vale...how does one impact the other?! ;D

Offline frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2023, 04:31:00 pm »
Why is it seen to imbalance things though? I don't quite follow why, for example, it'd be problematic for VAR to be used in the Bournemouth vs Liverpool match but not Mansfield vs Port Vale...how does one impact the other?! ;D

Is it not a case of, if hypothetically there was an offside goal in both games, but the one with VAR rules it out and the other didn’t. The team impacted wouldn’t have been treated as equally as if they’d played another teams

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2023, 04:44:00 pm »
Is it not a case of, if hypothetically there was an offside goal in both games, but the one with VAR rules it out and the other didn’t. The team impacted wouldn’t have been treated as equally as if they’d played another teams

That feels like a case of 'two wrongs don't make a right' to me though (not that there's any guarantee of them getting it right anyway, as we well know...!) - as long as it's equal within the context of the given match, then surely all's well (or should be!).

Not having it available anywhere on the basis that it can't be available everywhere almost seems to imply that VAR inherently advantages a certain 'type' of team or something, whereas surely it's not meant to be about that.

Not something that particularly bothers me, but I always just thought it a bit odd!

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2023, 04:50:12 pm »
Kelleher, Gomez, Matip, Quansah, Chambers, Endo, Jones, Mac, Elliott, Gakpo, Doak

If Doak is out another youngster might get a start in attack. Mcconnell or Clark may play instead of Mac.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2023, 05:56:06 pm »
I see some aren’t including Gravenberch in their line ups. I think he’s nailed on to play having come off yesterday and with Jones back from suspension in the league.

Think Jones will play as well, but think
Mac Allister is far less likely than either
« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 05:58:26 pm by duvva 💅 »

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2023, 05:57:11 pm »
No doak, baj, diaz, thiago, robertson.

Is that the full list?

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2023, 06:06:55 pm »
I see some aren’t including Gravenberch in their line ups. I think he’s nailed on to play having come off yesterday and with Jones back from suspension in the league.

I don't see why we can't go quite strong in this and hopefully in future rounds + the FA Cup. The likes of Szoboszlai/Mac Allister/Salah etc probably won't play another minute in Europe until March. It's one benefit of being in the Europa League this season actually, nobody will be overplayed. I don't expect any of those to start tomorrow but we should see quite a strong side.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2023, 06:12:29 pm »
I don't see why we can't go quite strong in this and hopefully in future rounds + the FA Cup. The likes of Szoboszlai/Mac Allister/Salah etc probably won't play another minute in Europe until March. It's one benefit of being in the Europa League this season actually, nobody will be overplayed. I don't expect any of those to start tomorrow but we should see quite a strong side.
I agree regarding how strong our line up will be. As in said in my original post in this thread it’s great to be in a position to be able to rotate and still field a strong team.

Having said that I don’t see those key first teamers starting in this competition either, but a midfield of Endo, Jones & Gravenberch looked pretty good against Toulouse and wouldn’t look out of place in the Prem

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2023, 06:14:56 pm »
Same team as Toulouse?

Something very similar but Diaz’s uncertain absence slightly complicates the forward postitions.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2023, 07:29:07 pm »

Achieved infamy in the mid 90s in schools throughout the country.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2023, 07:45:12 pm »
Any team that ensures we're in the draw at 10.25 on Wednesday night will do me.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2023, 07:52:51 pm »
Achieved infamy in the mid 90s in schools throughout the country.

;D
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2023, 08:37:27 pm »
With 5 subs nowadays you can afford to rotate a bit more than in the past. Personally I'd make 11 changes. Strong bench with Alisson, Konate, and Jota getting the night off completely.

Unavailable: Bradley, Robertson, Bajcetic, Thiago, Clark, Doak, Diaz
Starting 11 vs Luton: Alisson, Trent, Tsimikas, Konate, van Djik, Mac Allister, Gravenberch, Szoboszlai, Salah, Jota, Nunez

Kelleher

Gomez          Matip          Quansah          Chambers

McConnell          Endo          Jones

Elliott          Gakpo        Koumas

Sub: Adrian, Trent, Tsimikas, van Djik, Mac Allister, Gravenberch, Szoboszlai, Salah, Nunez

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2023, 10:00:33 pm »
Any team we put out needs to be strong enough to win comfortably.  Sensible rotation but a starting 11 strong enough for some changes in the second half.  Don’t want to start too weak and have to bring the big hitters on to rescue the game.  This is a tournament we should win.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 10:20:27 pm by andy07 »
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2023, 10:46:52 pm »

Kelleher

Gomez - Qaunsah - Matip - Chambers

Endo
Jones - Gravenberch

Doak - Gakpo - Elliott
Justice for the 96!

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2023, 04:13:25 am »
Has Kaide returned from injury?

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2023, 06:09:06 am »
Has Kaide returned from injury?
Only in the last couple of weeks. He’s made a couple of appearances as sub for the U21s. Think they may be taking it slowly with him given the amount of time he’s missed.

Online MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2023, 09:12:22 am »

We are playing Luton sunday.
Rest Gravenberch he suits playing Luton will take on players & draw out the the defence

Online thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2023, 10:04:46 am »
I thought Jones was still suspended.  I wouldn't mind him playing at right back again with Gomez in the centre and Matip with his feet up.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2023, 10:05:50 am »
I thought Jones was still suspended.  I wouldn't mind him playing at right back again with Gomez in the centre and Matip with his feet up.

Think Konate is ahead of Matip at the moment, him and Virg are the first choice.  Expect Matip + Quansah for this one.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2023, 11:58:57 am »

He has sat out 3 league games (Brighton, Everton, Forest) so I assume he is available.

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2023, 12:14:01 pm »
We are playing Luton sunday.
Rest Gravenberch he suits playing Luton will take on players & draw out the the defence
Jones is ahead of Gravenberch for me at the moment and while I think they’ll both start tomorrow night, I think Jones will start Sunday. Just my view and far from certain either way

Offline L.Suarez

• Kopite
  • When there snow hope, support.
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2023, 12:30:27 pm »
He has sat out 3 league games (Brighton, Everton, Forest) so I assume he is available.

Didn't we have an unsuccessful appeal, that added an extra game to the suspension?

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2023, 12:31:56 pm »
Didn't we have an unsuccessful appeal, that added an extra game to the suspension?

No extra game. You only get the extra game if they think you’re being stupid and wasting their time with an appeal.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2023, 12:45:23 pm »
How annoying was it that we got further screwed in the Spurs games by the PL - because they admitted the VAR epic fuckup - they refused here to rescind a garbage red card.